Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Erath County Texas Historical Markers

 
Wesley Chapel Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By 0ccam, November 27, 2009
Wesley Chapel Cemetery Marker
Texas (Erath County), Bluff Dale — 14278 — Wesley Chapel CemeteryHistoric Texas Cemetery
Artesian springs helped draw settlers to Eastern Erath County and the community of Bluff Springs (later Bluff Dale). In 1872, Rev. James Wesley and Martha (Middleton) White donated seven acres of land for a church, school and community burial ground . . . — Map (db m28407) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — Dr Pepper TexasPop. 1024
Site of the oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant in the world! Established 1891. — Map (db m12238) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — 15878 — Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company
Sam Houston Prim (1863-1946) arrived in Dublin in 1891 with $680 worth of bottling equipment, purchasing property at the southeast corner of Patrick and Elm Streets to house his bottling works. Prim bottled Dr Pepper, along with other products, . . . — Map (db m72315) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — 13548 — Dublin National Bank
In 1893, John G. Harris, a former railroad president, joined with three other businessmen to establish Dublin National Bank. The bank opened on the heels of the incorporation of the town of Dublin in 1889. Dublin experienced considerable growth . . . — Map (db m72323) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — 3968 — Pecan Cemetery
The Pecan Cemetery traces its history to 1880. The oldest marked grave is that of Horace F. Adams (October 19-November 14, 1880), son of Isaac (1842-1931) and Mary (1855-1915) Adams, who are also buried in the historic graveyard. A memorial marker . . . — Map (db m84179) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — 3969 — Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle
In 1884 J. W. McKenzie deeded 3.5 acres of land for church and cemetery purposes in the Purves Community. A portion of the donated land has been used as a burial ground since 1880. The Friendship Baptist Church disbanded in 1915 after serving the . . . — Map (db m84289) HM
Texas (Erath County), Dublin — 5847 — William T. Miller Grist Mill
Stonemasons Joe E. Bishop, "Rocky" Davis, and "Old Frank" Hamilton built this 2-story native stone mill for William T. Miller (1846-1936) in 1882. Steam power was used to grind grain here until a crude oil engine was installed (1918). The grist mill . . . — Map (db m12076) HM
Texas (Erath County), Hico — 901 — Clairette Schoolhouse
The first Clairette schoolhouse was a one-room log structure built as early as 1871. This two-story building was constructed in 1912, one year after the creation of the Clairette Independent School District. It served until 1949, when the rural . . . — Map (db m117789) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — Evolution of an Oil Company
This is the site of the first commercial coal produced in Texas by Texas & Pacific Coal Company, mined in 1888. This company was the forerunner of Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company, now one of the nation’s substantial independent producers of oil . . . — Map (db m88627) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 3587 — New York Hill
This area of Thurber developed after 1917, when the Texas and Pacific Coal Company expanded into the burgeoning oil industry following W.K. Gordon’s discovery of the Ranger oil field. Renamed in 1918, the Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company brought . . . — Map (db m113729) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 4814 — Site of Hotel Knox and Thurber Mining Office
The Texas and Pacific Coal Company built the first-class Hotel Knox about 1895. In addition to serving out-of-town guests, it was a social center in Thurber and home to many of the town’s white collar workers, including store clerks and staff of the . . . — Map (db m98443) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 4902 — Site of Thurber Big Lake and Dairy
In 1891, a 20-acre “little lake” was built south of the Thurber townsite to supply water to the community. It soon proved inadequate, however, and five years later a 150-acre “big lake” was constructed here about a mile . . . — Map (db m98445) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 4901 — Site of Thurber Brick Plant
Texas and Pacific Coal Company general manager W.K. Gordon, seeing potential in the shale mud found in Thurber, persuaded company president R.D. Hunter to build a brick plant here in 1897. Original machinery included three Ross-Keller brick presses . . . — Map (db m113726) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 4903 — Site of Thurber's First Coal Mine
Two hundred yards southeast of this site, at the base of the hill and at a depth of 65 feet, the first coal mine in this area was placed in operation by brothers William W. and Harvey E. Johnson. After Harvey’s death in 1888, and because of labor . . . — Map (db m113727) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 4438 — St. Barbara's Catholic Church
Most of Thurber’s immigrant population, representing eighteen nationalities, were Catholic. Missionary priests ministered to the town until 1892, then the coal company erected a Catholic church at the bottom of Graveyard Hill. Originally named St. . . . — Map (db m113730) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 5486 — Thurber
Most important mine site in Texas for 30 years. Coal here, probably known to Indians, was “discovered” in 1886 by W.W. Johnson, who with his brother Harvey sold out to Texas & Pacific Coal Company in 1888. (T.&P. Coal Company provided . . . — Map (db m88626) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 5487 — Thurber Cemetery
Encompassing slightly more than nine acres, the Thurber Cemetery documents the multi-ethnic Thurber community. The graveyard was divided into three sections with separate entrances: Catholic, Protestant, and African American. There are more than . . . — Map (db m98444) HM
Texas (Erath County), Mingus — 17237 — Whitehead Cemetery
The Whitehead Cemetery is a significant reminder of the African American community that occupied the Thurber townsite in the early 20th century. When the Texas and Pacific Coal and Oil Company relocated its offices to Fort Worth in 1933, several . . . — Map (db m113725) HM
Texas (Erath County), Morgan Mill — 3472 — Morgan Mill Tabernacle
The community of Morgan Mill, named for early settler George Bryan Morgan, traces its history to the mid-19th century. A post office was established in 1877. Several community church congregations shared a brush arbor in the summers for revivals . . . — Map (db m72324) HM
Texas (Erath County), Stephenville — 6397 — Daniel Roberts Thornton and Mary Anna (Garland) Thornton(1833-1911) and (1837-1906)
D. R. Thornton from Mississippi married Mary Anna, daughter of frontier fighter Peter Garland in Anderson County, Texas, in 1853. The Thorntons settled here in 1857 as cattleraisers, and helped make this frontier safe for less hardy citizens. Mrs. . . . — Map (db m83867) HM
Texas (Erath County), Stephenville — 15792 — Erath Arches
The Erath Arches were constructed in honor of soldier, surveyor, and legislator George B. Erath (1813-1891), for whom Erath County was named in 1856. The monument was one of many built around the state to celebrate the 1936 centennial of Texas . . . — Map (db m117455) HM
Texas (Erath County), Stephenville — George Bernhard Erath[In memory of]
Protector of the Texas frontier. Hero of San Jacinto. Major in the Confederate Army. Member of the Texas Congress and Legislature. Born in Vienna, Austria January 1, 1813. Died at Waco, Texas May 15, 1891. Erath County was named in his honor. . . . — Map (db m117456) HM
Texas (Erath County), Stephenville — 13203 — Oak Dale Cemetery
Founders of Oak Dale community began arriving in 1867. They included: John R. Pickard; George Lidia, who became Pickard's son-in-law; the Rev. James M. Johnson, a Methodist minister; and William Jasper Mefferd. These men and their families, . . . — Map (db m83874) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.