Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Erie County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Climax Locomotives Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, April 20, 2013
Climax Locomotives Marker
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Climax Locomotives
Over 1000 geared steam locomotives were built at the Climax plant here from 1888 to 1928. These were widely used on logging railroads in the United States and other countries. By making new areas accessible to large-scale lumbering, geared . . . — Map (db m64574) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Corry State Fish Hatchery
Established in 1876 by the Pennsylvania Fish Commission as the ”Western Hatchery,” it is the longest continuously operated fish hatchery in the Commonwealth. Supplied by abundant springs of uniform flow and temperature, it is considered . . . — Map (db m64575) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Creation of the Pennsylvania Game Commission
Concerned about declining wildlife populations caused by logging, development, and excessive hunting and trapping, Corry businessman H.A. Penrose assembled several influential men in Corry on Aug. 22, 1890, to form the Pennsylvania State Sportsmen’s . . . — Map (db m64576) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Inez Mecusker(1855-1941)
One of the foremost singers and entertainers of her time, soprano Mecusker was known as the “American Cantatrice.” She was featured in roles in opera and musical theater, appeared in vaudeville and on Broadway, and was a soloist for the . . . — Map (db m114606) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Joshua M. Merrill(1828-1904)
Lead chemist and manager of Downer Oil Works, built nearby in 1862 following discovery of oil near Titusville. Merrill’s refining breakthroughs included an illuminating oil safer than kerosene for use on railroads and steamships and in factories. He . . . — Map (db m64577) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Oil Creek Railroad
Open 1862, this railroad revolutionized the shipment of oil from the oil fields near Titusville to Corry, a hub for major rail lines. The 27-mile line rendered dangerous and wasteful waterway transport, as well as labor intensive horse-drawn wagons, . . . — Map (db m64578) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Edinboro — Miracles On Maple Hill
This award-winning novel for children was inspired by author Virginia Sorensen's time in Edinboro. In it, she illuminates the centuries-long agricultural traditions of the rural maple syrup industry in Erie and Crawford Counties and the restorative . . . — Map (db m84771) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Edinboro — Edinboro State College
Founded in 1857, it was established in 1861 as a State Normal School, second oldest in the Commonwealth and first west of the mountains. It became a Teachers College in 1926 and a State College in 1960. — Map (db m64573) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — 21st Century Erie
As Erie enters its next millennium, its economy is shifting toward service, tourism and recreation, a trend that is clearly visible along the Bayfront. Marinas, condominiums and restaurants have replaced the railroad and dock facilities that marked . . . — Map (db m116447) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — African American Sailors in the Battle of Lake Erie
These skilled seamen were among those who enabled Oliver Hazard Perry to defeat & capture a British Squadron, Sept. 10, 1813. Their participation - critical to victory - secured a place for African Americans in the region's history. — Map (db m21048) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Alexis de Tocqueville
. . . — Map (db m8951) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — American Fort(Wayne Blockhouse)
The American Fort was built a few blocks east of the French and British forts on a bluff behind the current Soldiers and Sailors Home. It was erected in July 1795 by a detail of General Anthony Wayne's soldiers commanded by Captain Bissel. The fort . . . — Map (db m23881) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Anthony Wayne
On the Soldiers and Sailors Home grounds near the foot of this street is a restored blockhouse on the site of American Fort Presque Isle. It is the original burial place of General Wayne, who died there on December 15, 1796. — Map (db m21417) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Avenue of Flags
American Legions American Legion 11 American Legion 103 American Legion 105 American Legion 162 American Legion 220 American Legion 285 American Legion 299 American Legion 365 American Legion 488 American Legion 494 . . . — Map (db m116427) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Bayfront Metamorphosis
By the 1980's Erie's maritime economy had essentially disappeared. The docks had fallen into disuse, commercial fishing was in decline and the grain elevator was crumbling. Unused railroad tracks, which had once fed the insatiable appetites of . . . — Map (db m116444) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Boston Store Livery & Garage
Built in 1906 for John P. Dugan livery on the site of Lafayette House, an early hotel. It is the only livery building left from that once important trade centered on lower French Street. From 1916 to 1961, this was livery and later garage for . . . — Map (db m116399) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Brewster House
One of the oldest houses in Erie, built in 1823 for prominent civic leader and politician Alexander Brewster, rear addition and Italianate changes to Federal period design made in 1850's. Deeded by Brewster family in 1898 to Erie Bureau of Charities . . . — Map (db m116419) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Brigadier General August R. "Gus" Pede
In memory of Brigadier General August R. "Gus" Pede United States Army (Retired) 1933-1998 Commissioned a lieutenant of infantry from Gannon's ROTC program upon graduation in 1955, August R. Pede became the first Gannon alumnus to . . . — Map (db m122253) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Captain C. V. Gridley
Grave of Captain Gridley, commander of Dewey's flagship Olympia in the Battle of Manila Bay, 1898, is located in this cemetery. Dewey's order, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley," opened the battle. — Map (db m21049) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Captain Daniel Dobbins(1776 - 1856)
Erie merchant mariner, naval officer, born in Mifflin County. Captured by the British during the War of 1812, Dobbins escaped, went to Washington to report the fall of Forts Mackinac and Detroit. Appointed a sailing master in the US Navy, he . . . — Map (db m21040) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Cascade Creek
Cascade Creek is the last of Erie's three original creeks. Its western location saved it from being completely compromised by urbanization. Cascade Creek flows along the bayfront parkway and into a delta behind the western dock. In 1813, Daniel . . . — Map (db m21425) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Cashier's House
Erected as a residence for the cashier of a branch of the United States Bank of Pennsylvania, which occupied the adjacent building. Completed 1839. — Map (db m41032) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Charles Vernon GridleyCaptain V.S.N.
Served with distinction as ensign at the Battle of Mobile Bay, August 7 A.D. MDCCCLXIV   In command of the Olympia, flagship of the American fleet at the Battle of Manila Bay May 1 A.D. MDCCCXC Died at Kobe Japan A.D. MDCCCXC. His fame is . . . — Map (db m116408) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Colonel Philip Cochran(1910-1979)
World War II hero. Cochran distinguished himself as a daring pilot commanding P-40 fighter planes in North Africa and as the colorful leader of the 1st Air Commandos during the invasion of Burma. He became a colonel at the age of 33 and earned such . . . — Map (db m41033) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Colt Way
In honor of Judah Colt (1761-1832), pioneer Erie settler in 1795. Land agent of Pennsylvania Population Co., Burgess of Erie in 1813 & 1820-21. Resident of 4th & French and early owner of much of this historic square block. Private walk - . . . — Map (db m116396) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dedicated In Honor Of Those Who Served Our Country During Hostilities In Vietnam
Dedicated in honor of those who served our country during hostilities in Vietnam Dedicated June 14, 1968 — Map (db m116388) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dedicated to Those in Northwestern PA. Wounded in All Wars
Combat Wounded Veterans 1782 Military Order of The Purple Heart 1932 My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country's way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will . . . — Map (db m116424) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dedicated to those who served in Operation Desert Storm
Dedicated to those who served in Operation Desert Storm — Map (db m116390) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dedicated to Those Who Served in the World War
Dedicated to ★those who served★ in the World War Erected by Service Star Legion No.1 M.O.D.Map (db m116471) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dedicated to Those Who Served in World War II
Dedicated to Those Who Served in World War II ★Erected by Service Star Legion, Inc.★ Erie Chapter No. 1 — Map (db m116384) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dobbins LandingErie's Hub for Travel and Trade
Dobbins Landing Timeline 1995 Bicentennial Tower built to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Erie. 1986 Public Dock renamed Dobbins Landing in honor of pioneer mariner Daniel Dobbins. 1926 Nicholson Ferry to Port Dover . . . — Map (db m116411) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Dobbins Lane
This type of medina cut-stone block pavement was used on Erie streets in the eighteen hundreds before either asphalt or concrete. — Map (db m116455) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Don't Give Up the Ship
On this site in the home of Thomas Steuart the summer of 1813, a group of Erie women led by Margaret Forster Steuart made Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's famous battle flag inspired by the dying words of his friend, Captain James Lawrence of the . . . — Map (db m116421) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Eben Brewer
Erected by the Postal Employees of the United States to the memory of Eben Brewer first mail agent of the United States in Cuba, who died July 14, 1898, aged 50 years. — Map (db m116452) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Edison Fountain
The Edison Electric Fountain was dedicated on Tuesday October 22, 1929 as part of the Erie observance of the fiftieth anniversary of Thomas A. Edison's discovery of the incandescent light. The fountain was conceived by public spirited individuals . . . — Map (db m116467) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie
The State's only lake port, bought with Erie Triangle, 1792. Laid out in 1795 by Ellicott and Irvine. Site of French, British and U.S. forts. Perry built his fleet here in 1813. — Map (db m31969) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie 9-11 Memorial"We Will Never Forget"
A local memorial for the city of Erie commemorating the 9/11 attacks. It consists of a timeline of events, a memorial flag to the fallen, and the center piece of a steel column recovered from the wreckage of the World Trade Center after its collapse. — Map (db m85137) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Area Native Americans
Native American influence on this area of northwestern Pennsylvania pre-date the 1492 encounter by at least 13,500 years. Erie County is named after its first known inhabitants, the Erie Nation. The Erie Nation, also known as the Cat . . . — Map (db m25977) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Named for Lake Erie, which took its own name from the Erie Indians. Erie, the county seat, was laid out 1795; made a city in 1851. Ships of Perry's fleet which won the 1813 Battle of Lake Erie were built . . . — Map (db m41035) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County Courthouse Facade Restoration Project
Erie County Government, with financial assistance from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, began restoration work on the courthouse in June of 2001. The West Wing of this Classical U-shaped Greek Revival structure was built in 1855. . . . — Map (db m116377) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County Korean War Memorial
[Front:] Freedom is not Free 1950 Korea 1953 [Back:] The Forgotten War Remembered Korean Service Korea — Map (db m116480) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County Vietnam Memorial
[Top plaque:] This memorial erected November 11, 1973 by the citizens of Erie County in appreciation to the men and women who served honorably in the Vietnam Era Conflict [Bottom plaque:] . . . — Map (db m116376) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
[Stand in the middle of the memorial:] "Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their passing. And when there is a time when men decide and feel safe to call any war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle . . . — Map (db m116533) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie County World War II Memorial
The Erie County WWII Memorial is dedicated to the seven hundred and twenty-seven that gave their lives in service to their nation during the war years of World War Two. The north face of the memorial lists their names and displays the insignias of . . . — Map (db m116479) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Extension Canal
A section of this canal, linking New Castle and Erie, lies at foot of the slope, to left of side road. Conneaut Line, Erie to Conneaut Lake, begun by State, 1838; finished by company headed by R.S. Reed, of Erie, 1843-44. — Map (db m72984) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie HeritageParade Street Memorial
Erie Heritage Parade Street Memorial ----- This site created To honor Erie’s birthplace By the Greater Erie Bicentennial Commission — Map (db m23932) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Land Lighthouse
The first lighthouse to shine on the Great Lakes. Created to aid navigation and promote shipping, the original 20-ft. beacon (1818) and the subsequent brick tower (1858) were built upon unstable soil. The sandstone tower (1867) was the 3rd built . . . — Map (db m41036) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Land Lighthouse"First Lighthouse on the Great Lakes"
First lighthouse of wood Contracted 1812 Operational 1813 Second lighthouse of brick Constructed 1858 Current lighthouse of Berea sandstone Completed 1867 Complete restoration by Fiske and Sons, Inc. Fourth . . . — Map (db m116431) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Land Lighthouse Keepers(1818-1899)
1818-1832 Captain John Bone 1833-1840 Robert Kinkaid 1841-1844 Griffith Hinton 1845-1849 Eli Webster 1850-1853 James W. Miles/Isabella Miles 1854-1857 John Graham 1858 Gen. James Fleming 1858-1860 . . . — Map (db m116436) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Land Lighthouse: "First on the Great Lakes"
Authorized by Congress in 1812, the first lighthouse at this site was completed in 1818, 200 feet west of the present lighthouse. Structural instability led to construction of a new 56-foot brick tower in 1858. This tower proved unstable due to . . . — Map (db m116438) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Steam Bakery
Bakery began in 1842 at 5th & Sassafras. In 1873 moved west of here (E. 4th St. Parking Lot). By 1888 considered "the oldest, largest, most perfectly equipped establishment of the kind in Pennsylvania." Using steam in baking process, it was known . . . — Map (db m116395) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie's Land LighthouseOn Top Again
Rescued and Rebuilt Time had taken its toll on the Land Lighthouse since the federal government decommissioned the beacon and ordered the lantern room removed and sent to a lighthouse in Ohio in 1899. In 2003, the Erie-Western . . . — Map (db m116430) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie's Maritime Heritage
By virtue of a natural harbor considered the best on the lake, Erie first rose to prominence in the 19th century as a maritime center, in addition to shipbuilding and fishing, Erie's docks served as a hub of travel and trade. In 1812-1813, six . . . — Map (db m116433) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Fallen & Missing Comrades
Gannon University's Department of Military Science and ROTC Alumni Honors the following Gannon ROTC Alumni killed or missing in action: 1LT John N. Dale '50/MIA '50 2LT Thomas R. Grant '64/KIA '66 CPT Patrick J. Brophy . . . — Map (db m116373) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Flag Display
Flag display donated in honor of the patriotic determination and valor of Lt. Col. Stephen John Manzek USAF WWII-POW-Korea-Vietnam-DFC PFC Edwin John Wagner 104th Inf. US Army WWII France-Belgium-Holland-Germany . . . — Map (db m116481) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Flagship Niagara
Restored flagship of Capt. Oliver Hazard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie, Sept. 10, 1813. — Map (db m21047) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Fort de la Presqu'ile(French)
This was the first of four French forts built by Marin and Boishebert in Northwestern Pennsylvania to protect their claim to the Ohio Valley . Built in 1753 the fort overlooking the bay was 120 ft. square with squared log wall 12 - 15 ft. high with . . . — Map (db m27352) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Fort de la Presqu'ileGuarding the Portage
A French Frontier Fort Fort de la Presqu'ile was the first in a proposed line of forts that would guard a route to the Mississippi. The lofty goal for 1753 was to build four ports, Presqu'ile, le Boeuf, Machault, and Duquesne. By the late . . . — Map (db m116412) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Fort Presque Isle(British)
After the French left, the British Fort was built by Major Rodgers in 1760 on the site of the old French Fort. It had a different configuration consisting of a stockade enclosure with a blockhouse, the second story of which extended all around, . . . — Map (db m27349) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Fort Presque Isle
Two forts stood four blocks north. French fort, built by Marin, 1753, abandoned 1759. British fort, built by Colonel Bouquet, 1760, and captured 1763 by Pontiac's Indians. The French Road to Fort Le Boeuf began there. — Map (db m41038) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — French Fort de la Presqu'isle - 1753British Fort Presque Isle - 1760
Site of French Fort de la Presqu'Isle - 1753 British Fort Presque Isle - 1760 — Map (db m116422) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Freshwater Fishing CapitalIndustry and Innovation
Peak Catches Blue Pike - 1931 - 3,600,000 lbs. Lake Whitefish - 1946 - 8,300,000 lbs. Lake Herring - 1949 - 6,700,000 lbs. Pound netting (Drawing shows pound net from above) - Placing standing nets in shallow water that funnel . . . — Map (db m116410) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — General Anthony Wayne
In remembrance of General Anthony Wayne an American soldier Distinguished for valor in the War of the Revolution Appointed, in 1792, on Washington's recommendation, General-in-Chief of the U.S. Army In 1794, vanquished . . . — Map (db m116391) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — General Anthony Wayne Blockhouse
In Memory of General Anthony Wayne Who Died Here Dec. 15th, 1796 — Map (db m21420) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — General Charles Manning Reed Mansion
Erected 1848 Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1982 — Map (db m116379) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Giant Gondola Wheel
Giant Gondola Wheel George Washington Ferris and his giant Ferris Wheel In 1892 a bridge building engineer named George Washington Ferris had an idea for the upcoming Chicago Columbian Exposition...a giant observation wheel that would carry . . . — Map (db m107746) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Gideon Ball House
This Italianate style mansion was built in 1862 for the Honorable Gideon J. Ball (1811-1886). A silversmith and farmer, Ball became clerk of Erie town council in 1836 then County Auditor and Treasurer. He served seven terms in State House of . . . — Map (db m41040) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Harry Kellar(1849-1922)
Known as the “Dean of American Magicians,” he was mentor and friend to Harry Houdini. Considered the first American magician to become an international star, he performed extensively on five continents, impressing audiences with his . . . — Map (db m84905) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Harry T. Burleigh
Eminent American baritone, composer, and arranger, was born 3 blocks north in 1866. He arranged "Deep River" and other spirituals, and set to music poems by Walt Whitman. Was a student and associate of Dvorak. He died in 1949. — Map (db m41039) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Hero of GettysburgBrigadier General Strong Vincent — June 17, 1837 — July 7, 1863
Hero of Gettysburg Brigadier General Strong Vincent June 17, 1837 — July 7, 1863 Mortally wounded defending his position on Little Roundtop Battle of Gettysburg July 2, 1863 Engaged at Hanover Court House . . . — Map (db m116416) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Historic Erie Flagpole
This steel Flagpole was first installed in 1938 at the SE corner of E. 6th & French Sts. by Erie Insurance Co-Founder and President H. O. Hirt when Erie moved its Home Office to the historic C. F. Adams Building (now Erie Insurance Heritage . . . — Map (db m116397) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Horace Greeley
Herein resided during the years of 1830-1831 Horace Greeley printer, editor and founder of the New York Tribune "Go west, young man, go west" — Map (db m116409) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — In Commemoration of Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski
Father of American Cavalry Born in Poland March 4, 1748 Died in the service of the American colonies at the siege of Savannah, Georgia October 11, 1779 — Map (db m116428) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — In Memory of the Soldiers and Sailors from Erie County Who Gave Their Lives To Save The Union
[Front:] In memory of the Soldiers and Sailors from Erie County who gave their lives to save the Union [Back:] "We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under . . . — Map (db m116381) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — In Memory of Those Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War
In memory of those who paid the ★ Supreme Sacrifice ★ in the World War Erected by Service Star Legion No.1 M.O.D.Map (db m116473) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Industrial Erie
The post Civil War Industrial Revolution propelled Erie toward a manufacturing economy. Watson Manufacturing (now GAF) built a facility at the site of the defunct Erie Extension Canal operations. The city developed the adjacent land into a modern . . . — Map (db m116442) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — James N. Thompson Land Lighthouse Park
This historical park was rededicated in 2011 in the memory of James N. Thompson, four-term Erie City Councilman, citizen advocate, businessman and founding member of the Friends of the Poor. Jim served as City Council President in 2002, 2004, . . . — Map (db m116439) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — John Nelson(1917-1959)
Chief Steward & President, United Electrical Workers Union Local 506, 1942-1959. Accused of McCarthy-era Communist activity, he was the first union leader fired by General Electric, 1953. He defended workers’ civil liberties while UE represented him . . . — Map (db m84904) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Kennedy Double House
Erected in 1840, the last of three Federal style houses built at 5th & Holland by prominent brickmaker David Kennedy. It is typical of double houses occupied by workers of the period rear wings added in 1860's. Listed on National Register of . . . — Map (db m116417) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Kennedy Row Houses
In 1832, prominent brickmaker, builder and borough councilman David Kennedy built the Federal-style corner house as his residence. A unique feature is the oversized brick rear section added in 1879. Kennedy, a weaver by trade from Ulster, completed . . . — Map (db m116418) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Korean War Memorial
Dedicated to those men and women who so gallantly served their country during the Korean War 1950 - 1953 [Left side:] Erie County Korean Veterans Killed In Action ACKERMAN, Robert Charles AMES, William H. BALDWIN, . . . — Map (db m116389) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Lafayette Visit
On this site June 3, 1825, the great French & American patriot, Marquis de La Fayette (1757-1834), a Major General and aide to General George Washington during the American Revolution, was entertained in the French Street home of Erie Pioneer Judah . . . — Map (db m12093) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Little Italy
This marker is dedicated to our Italian ancestors who immigrated to Erie from all regions of Italy and established Little Italy. The first Italians settled in Erie around 1864. In 1895, there were four Italian settlements in Erie, and Little Italy . . . — Map (db m116453) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Main Library
This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Presented by The Friends of the Library 1980 — Map (db m116400) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Making of the Flag "Don't Give Up The Ship"
Steadfast in the face of war in the summer of 1813, seven brave Erie women stitched the flag that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry carried into battle. British ships were on Lake Erie poised for attack. Although many fled south, Margaret Forster . . . — Map (db m99995) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Meet Erie's New AmericansA Storefront Exhibition
Iraq The Republic of Iraq is home to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The region between these rivers, historically known as Mesopotamia, is considered to be the cradle of civilization of Western society. In 2003 the United States organized . . . — Map (db m116457) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Northwest PA Purple Heart MemorialDedicated August 7, 2012 — 1782 to Present
In February 1932, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then-Army Chief of Staff, announced that the War Department was reviving Gen. George Washington's badge of military merit as a new decoration: the Purple Heart. Since then, more than one million Americans . . . — Map (db m116483) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — O'Donnell House
The only surviving 19th century structure associated with the once important livery trade centered on lower French Street. Built in 1879 for attorney George DeCamp, the house was sold in 1881 to Arthur O'Donnell. He operated a livery stable . . . — Map (db m116394) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Old French Road
Here today's highway leaves the course of the Presque Isle Portage, part of the historic Venango Trail. The French Road, built in 1753, following an Indian path, turned down into the valley. — Map (db m41041) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Oliver Hazard Perry"We have met the enemy and they are ours"
Oliver Hazard Perry "We have met the enemy and they are ours Dedicated to the Pennsylvanians who built and served aboard Perry's Erie-based ships for the decisive Battle of Lake Erie September . . . — Map (db m116459) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Paul Allman Siple(1908-1968)
One of the world's foremost authorities on Antarctica, he was honored internationally for his work as scientist, explorer, inventor, geographer, diplomat, and author. An Eagle Scout and NIAGARA Sea Scout from Erie, Siple was selected from all US Boy . . . — Map (db m39914) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Pennsylvania National Guard112th Infantry Regiment
Organized in 1921, the 112th is part of the famed 28th Div., the oldest continuous infantry division in the US Army. The 112th, previously known as the 16th, has origins in the storied 83rd PVI regiment formed in Erie in 1861 during the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m84900) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Perry 200 Commemoration
[Front:] Don't Give Up the Ship September 10, 1813 American Squadron Lawrence Niagara Caledonia Ariel Somers Trippe Porcupine Tigress Scorpion "We have met the enemy and they are ours — two . . . — Map (db m116413) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Perry Square
Perry Square was originally part of the plan for the City of Erie which was laid out in 1795 by famed federal surveyor Andrew Ellicott, the same man who took over the plan for completing Washington D.C. The area now occupied by the park was then . . . — Map (db m116469) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Perry's Shipyards
Perry's ships, the Lawrence, the Niagara, and the Ariel, were built in spring, 1813, at the foot of this street. His warehouses, blockhouse, and lookout station were also located there. — Map (db m41042) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — POW-MIA"You Are Not Forgotten"
. . . — Map (db m116386) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Presque Isle and the Bay
The seascape from the bluffs is essentially unchanged from the 1700's. Presque Isle Peninsula forms a lush green background and protects the bay from Lake Erie, which is visible on the horizon. Early sailors declared Erie's protected natural harbor . . . — Map (db m116443) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Pro Deo Et Patria
Gratefully dedicated to the students of Cathedral Preparatory School who served our country during World War II 1941 - 1945 Our Honored Dead Lt. Com. Charles J. Weschler '27 Lt. James Quinn '39 Lt. John May '43 E.M. . . . — Map (db m116393) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Russian Town / Pycckое Cоседство
Erie's original Russian neighborhood, known as "Russian Town". Encompassed the area from Front Street to Third St., and Parade St. to French St. The original Church of the Nativity of Christ was the center of this neighborhood. The church was built . . . — Map (db m116423) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church
At 236 East 11th Street. Founded 1874, this is Erie's oldest African-American congregation. Five of its first six members were women. Originally at 3rd and German Streets, this church has long ministered to the spiritual and social needs of the Erie . . . — Map (db m41044) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Sister Bernard Sheridan(1860-1924)
Pioneer nurse anesthetist. Born Jeanne Sheridan in Ireland, Sister Bernard entered Saint Vincent Hospital to study nursing in 1877 and developed expertise in anesthesiology. Her work was a landmark in nurse anesthesia education programs nationwide. — Map (db m41043) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Ariel, Porcupine, Scorpion and TigressGunboats of Commodore Perry
The Ariel, Porcupine, Scorpion and Tigress, gunboats of Commodore Perry, in the Battle of Lake Erie, Sep. 10, 1813, were built on the bay front, 100 yards north of this spot, early in the same year. — Map (db m21426) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Bell Tower and Carillon
The Bell Tower and Carillon is a gift to St. Jude the Apostle Parish from Herbert and Audrey Emig Sweny and children in memory of the Deceased Sweny and Emig Families. The three bronze bells originally hung in the tower of St. Michael's Church, . . . — Map (db m116371) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Cascade Street Docks
The three Cascade Street Docks provided the setting for much of the Bayfront development that followed construction of the Bayfront Parkway. Without them, there would not have been enough area to create the complex of modern activities that have . . . — Map (db m116449) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Erie Extension Canal
Erie's maritime economy spread west along the waterfront when State Street was extended creating the east and west basins, the Public Dock was developed and the Reed family moved its operation to the Sassafras Street Dock below. In 1841 a canal to . . . — Map (db m116441) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Erie Stone
In 1795 Andrew Ellicott and General William Irvine commissioned by the State, arrived in the area to survey and lay out "a town to be called Erie." Using the southeast corner of the old French fort at the foot of Parade Street as a starting point . . . — Map (db m27354) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Lawrence and NiagaraFlagships of Commodore Perry
The Lawrence and Niagara, Flagships of Commodore Perry, in the Battle of Lake Erie, Sep. 10, 1813, were built on the bay front, 100 yards north of this spot, early in the same year. — Map (db m21424) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The Native Legend of Presque Isle: "Sheltering Arm of the Great Spirit"
It is said that Manitou, the Great Spirit, led his favorite children, the Erie tribe, to the shores of this great inland sea where they fished its waters, hunted, and tilled the field. As the Eries ventured into the lake to find the place where . . . — Map (db m116435) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The North Pier Head Light
The black and white lighthouse on the north pier of the channel to Presque Isle Bay has guided mariners since 1858. Its cast iron was forged in France and replaced a wooden beacon that was destroyed by a schooner in a 1857 storm. No other surviving . . . — Map (db m116434) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — The U.S. Navy Seabee Veterans of America
In honor of all Seabees by The U.S. Navy Seabee Veterans of America Island X-11 Chautauqua Region Jamestown, New York on March 5, 2008 — Map (db m116425) WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Tibbals House
Built in 1842, one of few fine examples of Greek Revival residential architecture remaining in Erie. The family of owner Charles M. Tibbals, onetime customs collector and a founder of Chicago & Erie Stove Co., resided here until 1903. Listed on . . . — Map (db m116420) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — U.S. Brig NiagaraA 200 Year Story
Saving the Day During the famous naval Battle of Erie, Perry's ship Lawrence led the charge into the British fleet that controlled the lake. After Lawrence was disabled by enemy fire, Perry and four men of his crew rowed through . . . — Map (db m116415) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — USS Michigan Anchor
Built in Erie in 1843, USS Michigan (later named Wolverine) was the US Navy’s first iron-hulled ship. Michigan was stationed in Erie, served on the Great Lakes until 1923, scrapped in 1949. — Map (db m61647) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — William Leverett MorrisonLieutenant-Commander U.S. Naval Reserve Force — Citizen - Sailor - Officer - Friend
Last in command of the U.S.S. Wolverine formerly the U.S.S. Michigan the first iron-hulled battleship (1843-1949). Under his direction, the Pennsylvania Naval Militia in 1910 used the ship as its training base and on April 10, 1917, marched to . . . — Map (db m116345) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Girard — Circus History
America's most famous clown of the Nineteenth Century, Dan Rice (1823-1900), had the winter quarters of his circus in Girard from 1852 to 1875. The nearby Soldiers' Monument was donated by the versatile clown and showman, whose home stood opposite. — Map (db m84770) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), McKean — Old State Line
The northern boundary of Pennsylvania, before the purchase of the Erie Triangle in 1792, crossed the highway at this point. The State paid $151,640.25 for the Erie tract and its port on the Lakes. — Map (db m72985) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), North East — Colt's Station
Judah Colt as Agent began the first Pennsylvania Population Co. development here in 1797, setting up the first organized settlement in Erie County, at head of flatboat navigation on French Creek. — Map (db m64579) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), North East — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES. — Map (db m84902) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), North Springfield — Old State Line
The northern boundary of Pennsylvania, before the purchase of the Erie Triangle in 1792, crossed the highway at this point. The state paid $151,640.25 for the Erie tract and its port on the Lakes. — Map (db m84767) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Platea — Erie Extension Canal
Part of the old channel is visible by the present railroad, which replaced the canal. Lockport, now Platea, was founded in 1839 at a point where a series of locks, 28 in two miles, lowered boats bound for Erie. Canal open 1844-71. — Map (db m84768) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Union City — Drake Well Park
Near Titusville. The Park and Museum are owned by the State. On the site Col. Edwin Drake struck oil Aug. 27, 1859, marking the birth of the petroleum industry. Historical and museum material center. — Map (db m64581) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Union City — Ida M. Tarbell
Noted writer; biographer of Lincoln, historian of Standard Oil; born Nov. 5, 1857, in her grandfather's log home at Hatch Hollow, about two miles to east. She died Jan. 6, 1944, at Bridgeport, Connecticut. — Map (db m64580) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Col. Strong Vincent(1837 - 1863)
Civil War hero was born at the NW corner of First & Cherry Streets. A major turning point in the 1863 Battle of Gettysburg resulted from his independent and decisive action on July 2 in detaching his brigade (including the 83rd Pa. Regiment) to . . . — Map (db m31995) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Eagle HotelBuilt 1826
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior October 28, 1977 — Map (db m116911) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Fort Le Boeuf
Three forts have stood on this site. French fort, built 1753, to guard road into Ohio Valley, abandoned 1759. British fort built in 1760, burned by Indians in 1763. American fort to protect settlers, built 1794. — Map (db m31978) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Fort Le BoeufThis Monument Marks the Site of
This monument marks the site of Fort Le Boeuf Erected by the French in 1752. George Washington As a major representing the governor of Virginia, came here in 1753, bearing a letter to the commander of the fort, warning the . . . — Map (db m32011) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Fort Le Boeuf Memorial
The Judson House, built in 1820, stands on the site of the old French fort. This was the scene of Washington's first public mission. — Map (db m31985) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — French Creek
The Rivière aux Boeufs of the French, renamed by George Washington in 1753. It had an important part in the French and Indian War and the settlement of northwestern Pennsylvania. — Map (db m41037) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — George Washington
In December, 1753, George Washington came here with notice from the governor of Virginia to the French that they were trespassing on British soil. The statue shows Washington carrying out his first public mission. — Map (db m31993) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Near This Site
Near this site stood successive military posts that secured a vital point on the main route between Pittsburgh and Lake Erie. French Fort LeBeouf built 1753 was abandoned in 1759. British Fort LeBoeuf built 1760 was destroyed by Native Americans in . . . — Map (db m32004) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Old State Line
The northern boundary of Pennsylvania, before the purchase of the Erie Triangle in 1792, crossed the highway at this point. The State paid $151,640.25 for the Erie tract and its port on the Lakes. — Map (db m74615) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Presque Isle Portage
The old portage, part of the historic Venango Trail from Lake Erie to the Ohio River, crossed today's road here. The Indian trail became a French military road in 1753. — Map (db m31976) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Site of Fort Le Boeuf
Built by the French in 1752 Under British flag 1759 - 1763Map (db m32010) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Wattsburg — Old State Line
The northern boundary of Pennsylvania, before the purchase of the Erie Triangle in 1792, crossed the highway at this point. The state paid $151,640.25 for the Erie tract and its port on the Lakes. — Map (db m64582) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), West Springfield — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES. — Map (db m84766) HM

135 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.