27 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Essex County, Virginia
Adjacent to Essex County, Virginia
▶ Caroline County (60) ▶ King and Queen County (21) ▶ King George County (20) ▶ Lancaster County (27) ▶ Middlesex County (39) ▶ Richmond County (9) ▶ Westmoreland County (83)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Just east of here was the seat of the Waring family, members of which served the colony and our fledgling nation in elected and appointed offices and as officers in the county militia and the Continental Line. Thomas Waring II (ca. 1690–1754), . . . — — Map (db m86179) HM|
|About half a mile northeast stood the old courthouse and clerk’s office of Rappahannock County, 1665–1693. To this courthouse Thomas Goodrich and Benjamin Goodrich, ordered to appear with halters around their necks, came to express their . . . — — Map (db m3084) HM|
|Along the Rappahannock River near here lived the Portobacco Indians, who may have been part of the Portobaccos of Maryland. After moving to Virginia in the 1650's, they lived here in peace with their Indian neighbors, who spoke a similar dialect and . . . — — Map (db m7406) HM|
|West of here, on the ridge between the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers, the Rappahannock Indians built a fort to defend themselves from hostile settlers and other Indians during Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676. An order of the colonial Virginia Council . . . — — Map (db m3082) HM|
|A mile and a half west stands Fonthill, built in 1832 by Robert Mercer Taliaferro Hunter. He served variously as United States senator, Confederate secretary of state, Confederate States senator, and as a member of the peace commission that met with . . . — — Map (db m7409) HM|
|Two miles east near the river, Richard Coleman planted a frontier settlement and trading post in 1652. By 1660 a church was built, to which every man was required to come armed for protection against the Indians. — — Map (db m3085) HM|
|Here in 1861 Confederates constructed an eight gun "water battery" principally for the defense of Fredericksburg. The guns were manned by the 55th Infantry Regiment located 500 yards N.W. The cannons were moved and the fort abandoned March 1862 . . . — — Map (db m25231) HM|
|Located two miles N.E. on Rappahannock River at Lowry’s Point was a Confederate eight gun “water battery” constructed in 1861. Here at Dunnsville was located Camp Byron, home of Company F (Essex Light Dragoons), Ninth Cavalry, C.S.A.; . . . — — Map (db m3081) HM|
Southside Rappahannock Baptist Association
Education - The Hope of a Glorious Future
Willis Brook - Ned Fitzgerald - C. H. Newman
D. R. Page - Thomas Pollard - J. R. Ruffin
N. A. Wiggins
W. E. Robinson - . . . — — Map (db m57498) HM|
|This was the principal church of St. Anne's Parish, which was formed in 1704 from Sittenburne Parish and encompassed Essex County. According to tradition, part of the present church was built about 1719 with an addition constructed in 1731, but . . . — — Map (db m7407) HM|
|At Piscataway, near here, the northern followers of Bacon the Rebel assembled in 1676. On July 10, 1676, an action was fought with Governor Berkeley's supporters, some of whom were killed and wounded. Several houses were burned. Passing here, the . . . — — Map (db m7489) HM|
King and Queen County
Area 320 Square Miles
Formed in 1691 from New Kent, and named for King William III and Queen Mary. The family of George Rogers Clark long lived in this county.
Essex County . . . — — Map (db m7492) HM|
|To the north, after the 1644-1646 conflict between colonists and groups still loyal to the Powhatan chiefdom, the Mattaponi Indians found refuge on the headwaters of Piscataway Creek. Officers of then Old Rappahannock County signed a treaty with the . . . — — Map (db m7491) HM|
|Founded nearby as Piscataway Baptist Church on 13 Mar. 1774, Mt. Zion Baptist Church was the first Baptist church in the region. Endeavoring to stop the spread of the Baptist movement, local authorities arrested Baptist ministers John Waller, John . . . — — Map (db m7493) HM|
|Just to the East stood Mann Meeting House, the first Methodist Episcopal Church in this region. It was built before 1794 and abandoned about 1880. The site is now occupied by the Macedonia Colored Baptist Church. — — Map (db m3080) HM|
Meandering stretches of area rivers, such as this section of the Rappahannock, produce large freshwater marshes. Virginia Indians valued them as rich sources of food, often locating settlements nearby. . . . — — Map (db m97182) HM|
British Raid on Tappahannock
On 2 Dec. 1814, British naval forces commanded by Capt. Robert Barrie shelled and seized the town of Tappahannock during the War of 1812. Aiding the British were three companies of African . . . — — Map (db m97117) HM|
Smith explored the Rappahannock River in 1607 and 1608. He wrote of his encounters with local tribes in colorful stories of skirmishes and other adventures. Many of these accounts, some published 16 years . . . — — Map (db m97129) HM|
To soldiers of Essex and those who fought with them.
They fought for the principles of state sovereignty
And in defense of their homes.
To maintain these rights the gallant sons of this
Gallant county marched gladly to the front . . . — — Map (db m25223) HM|
|The town was founded in 1680 under the name of Hobbs His Hole. In 1682, a port was established here and called New Plymouth. In 1808, the name was changed to Tappahannock. The British Admiral Cockburn shelled the town, December 1, 1814. An old . . . — — Map (db m25248) HM|
|The Hutchinson Tract of the Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge consists of 727 acres of restored grasslands and mixed hardwood forests which complement the forests that buffer Mount Landing Creek. The attentive visitor may enjoy . . . — — Map (db m97196) HM|
|The National Wildlife Refuge System is a collection of United States lands and waters managed specifically for wildlife. Units of the system stretch across the continent, from the icy north shore of Alaska to the balmy Florida Keys, and beyond to . . . — — Map (db m97197) HM|
|How easy it is to celebrate large spectacular forms of wildlife such as the bald eagle. Yet there are thousands and perhaps millions of vital wildlife species on this refuge, each of which could easily fit in a teaspoon. Among these important . . . — — Map (db m97190) HM|
|Here was born Thomas Ritchie, November 5, 1778. In 1804, he established the Richmond Enquirer, which ran until 1877, the most noted of Virginia newspapers. Ritchie was a political leader in Virginia and an editor of national fame. In 1845, he became . . . — — Map (db m25253) HM|
| High-Quality Housing These rare habitats, dominated by native warn-season grasses such as little bluestem, Indian grass, and eastern gamma grass, provide food and cove for wildlife year around—even standing up to snow and ice. . . . — — Map (db m97192) HM|
|In this region near the Rappahannock River once stood the Rappahannock Indian village of Toppahanock. When John Smith explored this region in 1607 and 1608, he found fourteen Rappahannock villages along both banks of the river. The river was the . . . — — Map (db m7410) HM|
|William “Bill” Moore was born in Georgia in 1893. Nearby stood his home and barbershop. Paramount recorded Moore in Chicago in 1928 and released eight songs, some of the earliest by an African American folk performer from Virginia. They . . . — — Map (db m7411) HM|