“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fairfax Virginia Historical Markers

The Marr Monument image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 14, 2006
The Marr Monument
Virginia (Fairfax), — Monument to John Q. Marr
This stone marks the scene of the opening conflict of the war of 1861–1865, when John Q. Marr, Captain of the Warrenton Rifles, who was the first soldier killed in action, fell 800 ft. S. 46 W. Mag. of this spot, June 1st, 1861. — Map (db m620) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — A Tribute to The Men of Fairfax County
Who died in the spirit of Loyalty Served their country in 1917 - The World War - 1918 ————— Died in Service Thomas L. Brady, James F. Carper, Clarence M. Dawson, William I. Deardorff, Howard Derr, Percy J. . . . — Map (db m75471) WM
Virginia, Fairfax — Arlington-Fairfax Electric Railway
The Arlington-Fairfax Line connected Fairfax with Washington D.C. from 1904-1939 and briefly terminated near this location until 1908 when it was extended to the courthouse after the original station was destroyed by fire. The new stop . . . — Map (db m76716) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — B-261 — Birthplace of the Confederate Battle Flag
During the First Battle of Manassas, amid the smoke of combat, troops found it difficult to distinguish between Union and Confederate flags. Generals P.G.T. Beauregard, Joseph E. Johnston and Quartermaster General William L. Cabell met near here in . . . — Map (db m101514) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Blenheim (Willcoxon Farm)Civil War Soldier Art
Blenheim, built for Albert and Mary Willcoxon about 1859, contains some of the nation’s best-preserved Civil War soldier writings. More than 110 identified Union soldiers, representing units from New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, West . . . — Map (db m21077) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Blenheim HouseHistoric Blenheim
“... a brick building recently erected and fitted up in handsome style...”Richmand Daily Dispatch, August 9, 1861 In 1855, fire consumed an earlier house on this site. Owner Albert Willcoxon had no insurance; so upon finishing this . . . — Map (db m28608) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Dairy Barn ComplexHistoric Blenheim
“The outlook for agriculture in Fairfax is dismal.”County Agent R.B. Davis, Jr., 1946 Why was Davis so pessimistic? As he wrote, Blenheim owner Marguerite “Daisy” Duras’s diary cows were setting production records. Just . . . — Map (db m25842) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Dr. William Gunnell House
Built c.1835 Old Town Fairfax It was in this house that Ranger John Mosby captured the Union area commander Brig. Gen. Edwin H. Stoughton, in bed, the night of March 9, 1863. — Map (db m6233) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Draper House
Built c.1820 Old Town Fairfax Built by Dr. Samuel Draper, this house probably served as his office and examining rooms. Many of the buildings adjoining the house were constructed as out-buildings. — Map (db m6298) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Draper House1821
Built by Dr. Simeon and Catherine (Wilkinson) Draper on a lot leased from town founder Richard Ratcliffe, this is the second oldest home still standing in the Old Town Fairfax Historic District. Catherine's sister was Matilda Wilkinson, the . . . — Map (db m8226) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Efe Quality House
Built 1930 Old Town Fairfax The home was built on top of the Manassas Gap Railway right-of-way which was the railway started before the Civil War. This railway construction was disbanded during the Civil War. The house was renovated in 1992 by Dr. . . . — Map (db m6296) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — FairfaxSpies, Mosby and Marr
On June 1. 1861, the first major skirmish of the Civil War occurred on the main street of Fairfax Court House. In the pre-dawn hours 50 men of Co. B, Second U.S. Cavalry, led by Lt. Charles H. Tomkins, rode into town firing their weapons. As Capt. . . . — Map (db m626) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax County CourthouseWar on the Courthouse Grounds
At different times, Union and Confederate forces occupied the Fairfax County Courthouse at this important crossroads. The flag of each side flew from its cupola during the war, and the building suffered damage. On April 25, 1861, the Fairfax . . . — Map (db m43134) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Court HouseBuilt in 1800
This building, designed by James Wren, served as the first permanent courthouse of Fairfax County. — Map (db m621) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Court HouseBuilt 1800 — Old Town Fairfax —
This building is on the National Register of Historic Places. George and Martha Washington’s wills were recorded here and still remain in this complex. Confederate President Jefferson Davis reviewed strategy in the tavern across the street with his . . . — Map (db m6259) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Hay & Grain Store
Built 1900 Old Town Fairfax This vernacular, commercial building is a typical example of construction at the turn of the century. — Map (db m6286) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Herald & Print ShopBuilt 1900 — Old Town Fairfax —
The Fairfax Herald was established in 1882 by Capt. S. R. Donohoe, who, in 1904 moved it to this small, one-story frame structure. The Herald remained in operation until 1966. — Map (db m129153) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Rosenwald School
The Fairfax Rosenwald School or “Fairfax Colored School” was constructed in 1925–26 on this site. It replaced an earlier African-American school on Main Street east of the Fairfax Cemetery. In 1917, Julius Rosenwald, president of . . . — Map (db m29482) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — B-262 — First Confederate Officer Killed
In the early morning hours of 1 June 1861, a detachment of Co. B, Second Cavalry, entered the Town of Fairfax Court House and engaged the Warrenton Rifles in the first land conflict of organized military units in the Civil War. The skirmish resulted . . . — Map (db m21451) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Ford Building
Built c.1835 Old Town Fairfax This was the home of Antonia Ford, imprisoned as a spy following Ranger Mosby's night capture of the local Union commander, Brig. Gen. Edwin H. Stoughton, March 9, 1863. A search of the house had revealed an honorary . . . — Map (db m6366) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Gen. Corcoran
General Michael Corcoran died at the W. P. Gunnell House near here on 22 Dec. 1863 after being thrown from a runaway horse on Ox Road, a quarter mile to the south. Corcoran headed all area Washington Defense Department forces at the time. Corcoran . . . — Map (db m76725) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Historic Blenheim
A family farm, a Civil War encampment site, and a country home, Historic Blenheim now welcomes visitors to explore its landscape and many stories. Over 200 years ago, family patriarch Rezin Willcoxon moved here from Prince Georges County, Maryland. . . . — Map (db m24662) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Historic Fairfax Elementary SchoolBuilt 1873 — Old Town Fairfax —
This is the oldest, two-story, brick public school house in Fairfax County. Bricks were made from a clay pit on the Farr property across Main St. The original portion of this structure, the rear, was build for then considered exorbitant cost of . . . — Map (db m6303) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Joshua Gunnell House
Built c.1830 Old Town Fairfax The first skirmish of the Civil War occurred on Main Street June 1, 1861. Ex-Governor, "Extra Billy" Smith, a civilian, ran from this house to take charge of the Warrenton Rifles. Their commanding officer, Capt. John . . . — Map (db m6258) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Manassas Gap Railroad
Cuts and fills of the Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad are visible along this line and at various places through Fairfax County to Sudley Ford on Bull Run. Running north of the Little River Turnpike from Annandale and along North . . . — Map (db m132720) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Moore House
Built c.1840 Old Town Fairfax During his March 1863 raid, Ranger John S. Mosby searched here, with no success, for the Union mercenary Col. Percy Wyndham who had called Mosby a horse thief. Mosby had replied that the only horses he had every stolen . . . — Map (db m6260) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Mosby
Here on the night of March 8th, 1863, Col. John Singleton Mosby with 29 Confederate soldiers penetrated the Union lines of 3000 men and captured in the brick dwelling north of this spot Brig. General Edwin H. Stoughton, U.S.A., with 100 prisoners . . . — Map (db m6246) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — B-26 — Mosby’s Midnight Raid
Col. John Singleton Mosby formed the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry “to weaken the armies invading Virginia by harassing their rear.” Near midnight on 8 March 1863, he led his horsemen undetected through Union lines to disrupt . . . — Map (db m5086) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Nickell's Hardware
Built 1895 Old Town Fairfax An example of venacular commercial architecture, a popular construction type at the turn of the century. — Map (db m6278) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Old Baptismal Area
Local residents recall the period through the 1930s when Mount Calvary Baptist Church regularly conducted baptismal services in the Accotink Branch, in the pool formed at its confluence with the Tussico. White-robed candidates were immersed by the . . . — Map (db m5593) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Old Fairfax High School
This building opened in 1935 as the first 4-year "Fairfax High School," becoming the largest consolidated high school in the county as the Oakton and Clifton High Schools were closed. It closed in 1972 when the new school opened on Old Lee Highway. . . . — Map (db m115864) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Old Fairfax JailBuilt in late 19th Century — Old Town Fairfax —
The original “gaol” (1802) burned down in 1884. The Alexandria jail was used until this building was completed. The last jailer, Mr. William F. Lowe, and his family lived in the front quarters of this building until 1954. The structure . . . — Map (db m6256) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Old Town Hall
Built 1900 Old Town Fairfax Joseph E. Willard, who served as lieutenant governor of Virginia and minister to Spain, built Old Town Hall and gave it to the town in 1900. He was said to have been the most influential political figure in Fairfax County . . . — Map (db m6361) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Peyton Anderson
Peyton Anderson of the Rappahannock Cavalry was severely wounded on picket duty 122 ft. N.W. of this spot May 27, 1861. The first soldier of the South to shed his blood for the Confederacy. — Map (db m129267) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Pozer GardenOld Town Fairfax
Pozer Garden honors Kitty Barrett Pozer, who owned the adjacent historic Ratcliffe-Allison House from 1927 until she bequeathed it to the City at her death in 1981. Mrs. Pozer had a lifelong interest in horticulture and was the Washington Post's . . . — Map (db m129149) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Ralston's Store
Built 1895 Old Town Fairfax This vernacular, commercial building is a typical example of construction at the turn of the century. — Map (db m6295) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Ratcliffe Cemetery
Richard Ratcliffe (1752–1825) and wife Locian (1760–1826) are believed to be buried in this family cemetery along with their sons John, Samuel, Robert and Charles, and members of their respective families. Most tombstones found today are . . . — Map (db m76715) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Ratcliffe-Allison House (Earp’s)Built 1812 — Old Town Fairfax —
This is the oldest house in the City of Fairfax and the first city-owned building to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places (1973). The oldest section of the house, the eastern portion, was built by Richard Ratcliffe around 1812 to . . . — Map (db m6261) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Richard Ratcliffe’s Mount Vineyard Plantation
On the knoll 70 yards NE of this marker, stood the home of Richard Ratcliffe (1751-1825). The mansion was on his 600-acre "Mount Vineyard," part of a 1714 land grant of 1,930 acres to George Mason II. In 1798 Ratcliffe donated 4 acres to the east of . . . — Map (db m101513) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — The Legato SchoolOriginally built 1876-1877
Moved to its present site as part of the Fairfax County Public School Centennial in 1971 — Map (db m129154) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — The Sauls HouseBuilt 1892
This charming 1892 Queen Anne Victorian House was the residence of Mary C. (Litchfield) Sauls from 1892 to 1920. After Mary's death, Mary's son, Hugh Grafton Sauls (1876-1948) and his wife Clara May (Ferguson) Sauls (1875-1972) continued to occupy . . . — Map (db m129150) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Victorian Square AdditionBuilt 1986
Victorian Square Addition was completed in 1986 by the Lewis Family Associates adding additional retail shops and professional offices to 10389 Main Street. — Map (db m129151) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Whiteheads Mercantile & Post OfficeBuilt 1895
Whiteheads Mercantile & Post Office served as the grocery store and post office for the Town of Fairfax from 1895 to 1902. It was then purchased by Hugh Grafton Sauls and his brother Charles William Sauls and became Sauls Brothers Grocery from 1903 . . . — Map (db m129152) HM

43 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020