Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
34 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Fairfield County, South Carolina

 
Clickable Map of Fairfield County, South Carolina and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Fairfield County, SC (34) Chester County, SC (42) Kershaw County, SC (100) Lancaster County, SC (56) Newberry County, SC (39) Richland County, SC (318) Union County, SC (38)  FairfieldCounty(34) Fairfield County (34)  ChesterCounty(42) Chester County (42)  KershawCounty(100) Kershaw County (100)  LancasterCounty(56) Lancaster County (56)  NewberryCounty(39) Newberry County (39)  RichlandCounty(318) Richland County (318)  UnionCounty(38) Union County (38)
Adjacent to Fairfield County, South Carolina
    Chester County (42)
    Kershaw County (100)
    Lancaster County (56)
    Newberry County (39)
    Richland County (318)
    Union County (38)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1South Carolina (Fairfield County), Blair — 20-11 — Feasterville Female and Male Academy
Around 1840 an academy was established at this site by John Feaster, a noted landowner of this area, for the education of female and male students. By 1842, both academy building and a boarding house (dormitory)had been erected. Mr. Feaster, . . . Map (db m14396) HM
2South Carolina (Fairfield County), Blair — Fort Wagner
Site one mile east at junction of Beaver Creek and Reedy Branch built in 1760 by Hans Wagner as a refuge from the Cherokee IndiansMap (db m14397) HM
3South Carolina (Fairfield County), Jenkinsville — 20-6 — Kincaid-Anderson House
This two-story brick house was built by James Kincaid (1754-1801), Revolutionary War soldier, who came from Scotland in 1773 and acquired this land in 1775. It was completed according to his plans after his death by his son, William Kincaid . . . Map (db m14399) HM
4South Carolina (Fairfield County), Jenkinsville — 20-2 / 272 — Old Brick ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On May 9, 1803, the Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas was organized here at Ebenezer A.R.P. Church, built in 1788 by a congregation dating from colonial days. The rock wall was added in 1852. Damaged by Union troops in 1865, the church was . . . Map (db m121864) HM
5South Carolina (Fairfield County), Mitford — 20-23 — Camp Welfare
[Front] This camp ground, described by one journalist as "picturesque, rugged, simple, with an overhanging air of festivity," has hosted an annual camp meeting since 1876; slaves had worshipped here before the Civil War. The site was . . . Map (db m14613) HM
6South Carolina (Fairfield County), Mitford — 20-17 — Graveyard Of The Richmond Covenanter Church Reformed PresbyterianA quarter mile east
Here lie buried many of the Scotch Irish pioneers, who, in 1772, under the leadership of the Rev. William Martin, founded one of the first Covenanter churches in upper South Carolina.Map (db m14506) HM
7South Carolina (Fairfield County), Monticello — Industry Evolution on the Broad RiverFrom Henderson Island to the Fairfield Pumped Storage Facility
1700s Settlement 1730 – Governor Robert Johnson encourages settlement of the backcountry 1745 – The Lyles family, some of the earliest settlers in the area, purchased land along both sides of the Broad River near Beaver . . . Map (db m159720) HM
8South Carolina (Fairfield County), Monticello — Industry Evolution on the Broad RiverFrom Henderson Island to the Fairfield Pumped Storage Facility
Early Settlement and the Lyles Family In 1745, the Lyles family, some of the earliest settlers in the area, established their holdings on both sides of the Broad River, close to the mouth of Beaver Creek. Brothers, Ephraim and John Lyles, . . . Map (db m159721) HM
9South Carolina (Fairfield County), Parr — 20-5 — Nuclear Power
Two miles west of here at Parr Shoals on Broad River is the first atomic nuclear power plant in the Southeast. In 1954, the Atomic Energy Act was amended to allow the construction of nuclear power plants by private industry. Built by Carolinas . . . Map (db m159687) HM
10South Carolina (Fairfield County), Ridgeway — 20-20 — Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
Site of five buildings 1897-1986. Enemies of church burned two, tornado destroyed one. 1994 marks 100 years of Mormon presence in this community.Map (db m14467) HM
11South Carolina (Fairfield County), Ridgeway — 20-1 — Confederate Headquarters
During February 17-19, 1865, General P.G.T. Beauregard, with Wade Hampton's cavalry acting as rear guard, made his headquarters here, telegraphing General R.E. Lee in Virginia news of the evacuation of Columbia, 20 miles south, before retiring to . . . Map (db m14328) HM
12South Carolina (Fairfield County), Rion — 20-24 — The Oaks
This early Greek Revival house, built about 1835, is notable for its central double-tiered pedimented portico and double end chimneys. It was named for the oak avenue leading up to it and the oak grove surrounding it. The Oaks was built for Richard . . . Map (db m14331) HM
13South Carolina (Fairfield County), Rockton — 20-9 — Thomas Woodward
1/4 mile east stood the home of Thomas Woodward, prominent leader of the South Carolina Regulator Movement, 1768-1769. He was a member of the First Provincial Congress and a charter member of the Mt. Zion Society. As Captain of Rangers in 1775-76 he . . . Map (db m47445) HM
14South Carolina (Fairfield County), Salem Crossroads — 20-10 — Battle of Mobley's Meeting House
On May 26, 1780, one of the first victories for the Patriots after the fall of Charleston took place 1½ miles east on Little River. A body of Tories gathering at a Baptist meeting house in Mobley's settlement were attacked and dispersed by a . . . Map (db m159636) HM
15South Carolina (Fairfield County), Salem Crossroads — 20-15 — John Hugh Means/William Harper
(Front): Governor of S.C. (1850-1852), president of the 1852 Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession in 1860, John Means was born near here in 1812. A colonel in the 17th Regiment, S.C. Volunteers, CSA, he died Sept. . . . Map (db m47540) HM
16South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-19 — Bethel Church
[Marker Front]: This Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was incorporated in 1823. Early pastors were the Rev. James Lyle and the Rev. Thomas Ketchin, installed 1825 and 1844 respectively. The old cemetery, located at corner of Fairfield . . . Map (db m14321) HM
17South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — British Headquarters
Headquarters of the British forces under Lord Cornwallis Oct. 1780 - Jan. 1781Map (db m14313) HM
18South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-14 — Cathcart-Ketchin House / Catharine Ladd
[Two-sided marker] Cathcart-Ketchin House Richard Cathcart purchased this lot from John McMaster in 1829, and it is thought he built the present federal-style house shortly thereafter. The house has had a number of owners including . . . Map (db m14325) HM
19South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Confederate Dead of Fairfield County
[South Side] 17th S.C.V.C. 2nd S.C.V.C. 7th S.C.V.C. 1st S.C.V.C. Beaufort Art. 3rd S.C.S.T. 1861-1865 [West Side] 2nd S.C.V.I. 12th S.C.V.I. 4th S.C.V.C. 5th S.C.V.C. [North Side] 13th S.C.V.I. . . . Map (db m14312) HM
20South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-7 — Fairfield County / Winnsboro
Fairfield County A center of activity in the Regulator movement to bring law and order to the backcountry, this area in 1769 was made part of Camden District under the Circuit Court Act. In 1775 it formed part of the District between the . . . Map (db m47442) HM
21South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-8 — Fairfield County Courthouse
This courthouse was built in 1822 by Wm. McCreight under the supervision of Robert Mills, South Carolina architect, then serving as Supt. of Public Works. Alterations and additions were made in 1844. It was renovated in 1939 with the addition of two . . . Map (db m14320) HM
22South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-16 — Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller
[Fairfield Institute Side] This grade school and normal institute for blacks was founded in 1869 during Reconstruction by the Northern Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Willard Richardson was principal. In 1880, one-hundred of its students . . . Map (db m14463) HM
23South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-18 — First Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church was established in 1808 under the leadership of the Rev. James Jenkins, an early circuit-riding minister, and John Buchanan, a captain in the Revolution. Pioneer American Methodist bishop Francis Asbury visited here . . . Map (db m14284) HM
24South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-3 — James Henry Carlisle
Born in this house on May 24, 1825, the son of William and Mary Ann Carlisle, this noted teacher received his education at Mount Zion Institute and South Carolina College. A delegate in 1860 to the Secession Convention and a legislator in 1864, his . . . Map (db m14323) HM
25South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — James Wilson Hudson
(west face) M Z S 1777. JACOBO WILSON HUDSON, Montis Zion Collegii annos vigenti tres. singulari felicitate Præsidi. Multa præclara in tam longissimo curriculo et didicit et docuit. In literis eruditus, in . . . Map (db m45128) HM
26South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-13/202 — Mount Olivet ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized before 1785, this Presbyterian Church was originally known as Wolf Pit Church, later as Wateree, and was finally named Mt. Olivet in 1800. The Reverend William Martin, Covenanter minister licensed by the Reformed Presbytery of Scotland, . . . Map (db m121865) HM
27South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-12 — Mt. Zion Society
A social and benevolent group dedicated to the promotion of education, the Mt. Zion Society was organized in January 1777 at Charleston S.C. John Winn was its first president. By the 1780s the society had founded a school for boys in Winnsboro. . . . Map (db m14285) HM
28South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-22 — Saint John's Episcopal Church
(Front): Organized in 1839 and named for St. John's, Berkeley Parish, this was the third Episcopal church established north of Columbia. The Rev. Josiah Obear became its first rector in 1841, serving 1841-49 and 1875-82. The first . . . Map (db m47542) HM
29South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — South East Asia
In memory of those from Fairfield County who died in South East Asia in the service of their country Darvin Flanders Johnny Branham Robert Simmons Abraham Harris Moses Mickle James Thomas Arthur Sloan, Jr. Harold M. Renwick, Jr. . . . Map (db m14308) HM
30South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-21 — St. Paul Baptist Church
This African-American church was organized in 1873 by Simon McIntosh, Henry Golden, Lily Yarborough, Frances Kelly, Lizzie Hart, and others. The first pastor, Rev. Daniel Golden, served 1873-1891. The first sanctuary was built in 1876. The present . . . Map (db m14465) HM
31South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Town Clock
In memory of those early citizens of Winnsborough whose civic spirit prompted them to erect this town clock in the year of our Lord - 1833Map (db m14319) HM
32South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-4 — William Porcher Dubose
This noted author-theologian, born at this site April 11, 1836, educated at Mt. Zion Institute, the Citadel, and the University of Virginia, served as an officer and a chaplain in the Confederate War. He was Rector in Winnsboro and Abbeville, and in . . . Map (db m14317) HM
33South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — World War1914 - 1918
Dedicated to those of Fairfield County who served their country in the World War and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrificeMap (db m14309) HM
34South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Wynne DeeBratton Place — Circa 1780 —
Built by Richard Winn, for whom Winnsboro was named, on a land grant from King George III. Deeded in 1865 as a wedding gift to his daughter Christina and Dr. William Bratton. Was the home of General John Bratton during the Confederacy. Now the home . . . Map (db m14315) HM
 
May. 17, 2021