Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Forrest County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Forrest County Agricultural High School Marker image, Touch for more information
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
Forrest County Agricultural High School Marker
Mississippi (Forrest County), Brooklyn — Forrest County Agricultural High School
Created in 1911 by an act of the Mississippi Legislature, as an agricultural boarding school. Set on 320 acres of donated land. Students from across the United States, Mississippi and several foreign countries have been educated here. In 1996 FCAHS . . . — Map (db m50077) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Camp Shelby — 2127 — Camp Shelby
Side 1 Following activation for service in both WWI and WWII, Ky. Guard units, as part of the 38th Inf. Div. were sent to Camp Shelby for training in preparation for war. Ky. National Guard units trained at Camp Shelby during WWI and . . . — Map (db m71589) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Dixie — Dixie School Log Cabin
Citizens of the Dixie community built this structure 1/4 mile southeast of this site in the 1930s to serve as a cafeteria during the Depression era. The log cabin has also served as a meeting place, music hall and classroom. In 2003 the cabin was . . . — Map (db m56534) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — "The Civil Rights Church"
On this site stood the old Mount Zion Baptist Church, demolished in 1993. Known locally as "The Cvil Rights Church", the church hosted a "Freedom School” in 1964 and many mass meetings during the Civil Rights Movement. Dr. . . . — Map (db m118478) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — 27 — Clyde Kennard — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Forrest County native Clyde Kennard was a pioneer in the quest to desegregate higher education in Mississippi. His efforts to enroll at Mississippi Southern College (now USM) in 1955-1959 were obstructed by college president William D. McCain and . . . — Map (db m118838) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Demonstration School
The Mississippi Normal College, now the University of Southern Mississippi, was established in 1910. The Demonstration School opened in 1926 during the time when the college was called the State Teachers College (1924-1940). The school taught . . . — Map (db m118399) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — East 6th Street USO Club
The East 6th Street USO Club was built in early 1942 under the umbrella of the United Services Organization (USO). This T-shaped, wood-frame building included an auditorium, stage, lobby, restrooms, dressing rooms, and meeting rooms. Built for . . . — Map (db m118393) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Eureka School
This building, opened in 1921, under the leadership of W.H. Jones, was one of the first modern brick schools in Miss. for blacks. Its alumni have served the state and nation with distinction. — Map (db m118458) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Forrest County Confederate Monument
[Northeast Inscription]: C.S.A. To the Men and Women of the Confederacy 1861-1865 [Southwest Inscription]: When their county called they held back nothing. They cheerfully gave their property and their lives. . . . — Map (db m39867) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Hattiesburg — The Hub City — Centennial of Hattiesburg
[West Side] Formerly Choctaw Territory and later claimed by France, Britain, Spain and United States, this area entered by settlers in early 1800s and known as Ewin Forks, later Gordonville. Chosen as rail center by Captain William H. . . . — Map (db m58885) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — 102 — Hi-Hat Club
Side A The Hi-Hat Club, which was built at this site in the 1950s, was once an important stop on the “chitlin circuit” for African American blues and soul performers. B. B. King, James Brown, Otis Redding, Ike & Tina Turner, . . . — Map (db m118467) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Hub City Lodge No 627
. . . — Map (db m39897) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — McLeod House
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior McLeod House 1897 — Map (db m39904) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Old Federal Building
[Right Plaque]: This Building, the Old Federal Building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of Interior September 1973 • • • Supervised by architect James Knox Taylor, this . . . — Map (db m44961) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Old Hattiesburg High School
Under the direction of Principal J.T. Wallace, this building was Hattiesburg's High School from 1922 to 1959. Built in 1911, the structure acquired its present form when enlarged and remodeled in 1921 to the designs of Robert E. Lee, the city's . . . — Map (db m39906) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Pittman Park
The land for Pittman Park was purchased by former Mayor Bobby L. Chain and given to the City of Hattiesburg for the use of its citizens. This gift is in honor and memory of the only father-son mayor combination in the history of Hattiesburg, . . . — Map (db m119150) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Roberts Schoolhouse
This schoolhouse was established in the Arena community of Jackson County by Richard Roberts in the 1890s. Serving grades one through twelve, the curriculum consisted of reading, writing and arlthmetic. The Roberts Schoolhouse closed . . . — Map (db m118441) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — 55 — Roots of Rock and Roll
Side A Rock and roll is rooted in the blues of Mississippi. The Mississippi Jook Band (brothers Roosevelt and Uaroy Graves and pianist Cooney Vaughan) earned a niche in the annals of rock after they recorded in Hattiesburg in 1936, nearly . . . — Map (db m118400) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — St. Paul Methodist Church
Organized in 1882 in a wood frame structure on the present site. In 1926, the original building was damaged in a storm. The present structure was built in 1930. The congregation provided food and shelter for Hattiesburg's flood victims in 1963 and . . . — Map (db m118455) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — The Hub Where Buffett Met "Fingers"
The Hub has been just that, the center of campus and campus life, since its construction as the Dining Hall in 1930. By the 1960s, it housed the bookstore, post office, and coffee shop and grill known as Wimpy''s and later Exit 13. Aspiring . . . — Map (db m118443) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Veterans of All Wars Monument
. . . — Map (db m76704) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — William Carey College
E. 1 mi. Founded 1906 as S. Miss. College. Operated by Bapt. as Miss. Woman's College 1911-40. Coeducational 1953. Name changed to honor William Carey, 18th century English missionary. — Map (db m39896) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — William Harris Hardy
In 1880 near the banks of Gordon Creek, this lawyer, railroad builder and Confederate veteran selected the site for Hattiesburg. Incorporated in 1884, the town was named for Hardy's wife, Hattie Lott. — Map (db m40050) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — William Harris Hardy — 1837 - 1917 — Lawyer Statesman Soldier
Builder of Railroads Pioneer in the Development of the Resources of South Mississippi Founder of the Cities of Hattiesburg and Gulfport A Dreamer Whose dreams Came True — Map (db m76705) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Maxie — Old West Florida
Area to south, originally part of French Louisiana, became West Florida under England and Spain. After West Florida Revolution annexed by U. S. and in 1812 was added to the Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m39002) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.