The site on which Kendleton now stands was originally a Mexican land grant to settler Elizabeth Powell, whose house was an early-day stage stop.
During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Mexican Army camped near here. Later the . . . — — Map (db m4419) HM
Kendleton was originally a large plantation area of land in the western section of Fort Bend County. During the Reconstruction Era, free Negroes from Colorado and Washington Counties developed a colony of 100-acre plots. Having relocated several . . . — — Map (db m14126) HM
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had . . . — — Map (db m4971) HM
Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land . . . — — Map (db m126518) HM
Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator.
Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, . . . — — Map (db m126513) HM
The 95,000 men of military age in Civil War Texas, unaccustomed to walking, preferred the daring and mobility of the cavalry used to scout the enemy, screen troop movements and make lightning attacks. 58,533 Texans joined it, riding their own horses . . . — — Map (db m27748) HM
This square was deeded in 1838 to Fort Bend County by Robert E. Handy and William Lusk, founders of Richmond. It was site of 1850-1871 and 1888-1909 courthouses.
Completed here 1888 was a two-story brick Victorian courthouse with bell tower and . . . — — Map (db m126515) HM
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down."
A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San . . . — — Map (db m126519) HM
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County, which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of Austin. . . . — — Map (db m122796) HM
Henry Schumacher (1832-1901), a native of Germany, opened one of the first cottonseed oil mills in this region in 1873, assembling the machinery with only the aid of an old encyclopedia. The oil works produced cottonseed oil, meal, and cake, and . . . — — Map (db m126532) HM
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi (1811) and became the ward of her famous relative, Gen. James Wilkinson, field commander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a . . . — — Map (db m126517) HM
Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as "The Mother of Texas."
On Labor No. 1 of Mexican land . . . — — Map (db m126485) HM
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason William Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson Street, was replaced in 1855 . . . — — Map (db m126524) HM
While Methodist missionaries had served the Richmond area as early as 1824, this congregation was organized January 22, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord. Early members included some of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. The congregation built this . . . — — Map (db m122795) HM
A native of Scotland, Isaac McFarlane (1840-1900) served with Terry's Texas Rangers during the Civil War and later became a successful merchant in Richmond. This home was constructed for his family in the early 1880s by local builder Thomas Culshaw. . . . — — Map (db m122759) HM
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto.
Settled in . . . — — Map (db m126526) HM
Born a slave in North Carolina, Walter Moses Burton was brought to Texas about 1860. At the end of the Civil War, he purchased land from his former owner, Thomas B. Burton, from whom he had also learned to read and write. Walter Burton became a . . . — — Map (db m126527) HM
In 1896, three Baptist men organized this church. T.E. Muse served as the first pastor from 1898 to 1900. The 1900 Galveston hurricane destroyed an unfinished church building. Services were held in a nearby church and in a rail car until a . . . — — Map (db m92422) HM
Born 1798 in Georgia. Came to Texas 1835. Became involved immediately in movement for independence from Mexico. Upon fall of the Alamo and news of Goliad Massacre, joined Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Jacinto.
In . . . — — Map (db m126520) HM
Planned 1840 to benefit the Republic of Texas by moving rich sugar and cotton crops from plantation areas. Chartered 1841 by 5th Congress of the Republic, in name of Harrisburg Railroad & Trading Company.
H. R. & T. C. did not succeed in . . . — — Map (db m73448) HM
One of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William J. Stafford (1764-1840), founded the settlement of Stafford's Point on the 6819.7-acre land grant he received in the winter of 1824. Bringing his family and slaves from his Louisiana sugar plantation, he . . . — — Map (db m27781) HM
A veteran of "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion's South Carolina brigade during the American Revolution,
Alexander Hodge (b. 1760) brought his family to Texas in 1825. Hodge was prominent among
the "Old Three Hundred" settlers; his sons fought in the . . . — — Map (db m27747) HM
The center of the sugar industry from Texas colonial days and the site of the first sugar refinery in Texas located by S. M. Williams on land granted to him by the Mexican government. — — Map (db m27764) HM
Central State Farm's roots trace to the late 1870s, when the original 5235 acres of the sugar plantation here were worked by convict labor. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, public sentiment largely supported a self-sustaining prison system, . . . — — Map (db m28499) HM