In fall 1846, residents of Covington and Attica skirmished at Lock 35 over lack of water to Covington. Heavy rains eventually resolved the problem. Competition among canal towns over water control was often intense. First boat reached Attica 1846 . . . — — Map (db m3284) HM
Ladies Library Association of Attica, created 1885, deeded its library building to city; city library opened 1902 with a collection of 1,500 books. Funds from Andrew Carnegie made it possible to build a new library here on land originally owned by . . . — — Map (db m3317) HM
Doctor – Educator – Builder – Financier.
Attica, Indiana Doctor, 1839–1845
Founder: Indiana Hospital for Insane.
Chicago Mercy Hospital: City of Evanston, Ill.
Northwestern University - U. of Denver.
Rush . . . — — Map (db m9947) HM
American Indians frequented this area, rich in natural resources. The ravine provided water from natural springs, marl for lime, and clay for bricks for nineteenth-century residents of Attica, platted 1825. City became owner of ravine 1906 when . . . — — Map (db m3311) HM
John Feuristien - Co. D - 113 Eng.
Robert L. Goans - Battery C - 150 F.A.
Edward Harty - 306 U.S. Inf.
Earle Ireland - 131 U.S. Inf.
Lloyd Ireland - Battery B - 70 F.A.
Frank J. Kight - Battery C - 6 F. A.
Chas. W. . . . — — Map (db m22801) HM
1807–1834. The 1st wife of Governor David Wallace and Mother of General Lew Wallace, soldier, author of Ben Hur, statesman & diplomat, is here buried. She influenced the lives of two important Hoosiers. — — Map (db m3382) HM
1826 - - 1926
Fountain County Centennial Memorial
Erected by The Richard Henry Lee Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in Memory of The Pioneers and Illustrious Dead of Fountain County and In Honor of our Heroes Who Have Defended us in . . . — — Map (db m7907) HM
has been designated a
National Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment — — Map (db m10093) HM
Wabash - Erie Canal
1846 - 1875
The Canal extended from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana. Construction on the 376 mile section in Indiana began in 1832 and completed through Fountain County in 1846.
One to six horses in . . . — — Map (db m20364) HM
World War - I
Orel A. Smith, Born 1898, 32nd Co. 6th Marine Vol., Killed In Action, Nov. 2, 1918 Lieut. W. E. G. Cooper, Born March 29, 1888, Killed In Action at Chateau Thierry, July 20, 1918 Claude L. Wilkinson, Born June 9, 1893, Killed . . . — — Map (db m7884) WM
David J. Ratliff platted his farm land just North of State Street through which the new Chicago, Attica, & Southern railway passed. The town was named after the foreman of the construction crew. The town South of State Street was Fountainville until . . . — — Map (db m36101) HM
Silver Island Cemetery
A Historic Cemetery Listed in
Indianas Cemetery and Burial Grounds
Registry of the Indiana Department of
Installed 2013 Indiana Historical Bureau . . . — — Map (db m77555) HM
Site of National Corn Husking Contest in 1935.
4 Blocks West - - -
Cobb Farms and L.K. Mitchell and Family Hosts.
Lawrence Pitzer of Fountain County Represented Indiana and later became National Champion in 1939. . . . — — Map (db m3405) HM
Salt discovered by Norbourn Thomas in 1829.
Capacity: 200 bushel of salt every 24 hours.
Depth 1,135 feet - Deepest in the United States at that time.
Artesian water of Medicinal value was discovered.
Became a Health Spa in 1921.
Water . . . — — Map (db m20482) HM
Birch - Colvert Cemetery
Also Known As
Stone Bluff Cemetery
Beneath this hallowed ground rests the souls of many long-forgotten loved ones. Their gravestones destroyed by the hand of man: and the physical boundaries of . . . — — Map (db m77583) HM
OF FOUNTAIN COUNTY, INC.
BOOE - INLOW - D'ARLIER
for the restoration
and preservation of the
Prairie / Craftman House
D'Arlier Cultural Center
Built in . . . — — Map (db m19174) HM
“Tall Sycamore of the Wabash” — 1827-1897 — Famous orator - Representative in Congress, 1861-66, 1869-73; U.S. Senator, 1877–1897; chief promoter of the building of the Library of Congress. — — Map (db m3232) HM
John Gilmore entered first land in Township — 1826.
Alanson Savage built steam saw mill produced timbers for “Plank Road” — 1840.
Rev. Jones organized Methodist Church — 1852.
Early Families: Furrs, Booes, . . . — — Map (db m3805) HM
Peter and James Layton, half brothers, came from New York, 1853. Here was the train stop for the residents of the area of the Plank Road ½ mile south. There a blacksmith shop, grocery, the stage stop, “Halfway House” were located. — — Map (db m3466) HM
Church: Established by United Brothers in 1828.
Building erected 1847 - Used until 1900.
Cemetery 1837 to present time.
The last resting place of pioneers and soldiers who served our country in seven wars. — — Map (db m3403) HM
1919 - 1991
Veedersburg Post 288
In Memory of those from
Veedersburg & Vanburen Twp.
who served, and those who
gave their lives in the
service of their Country.
World War . . . — — Map (db m7779) WM
Scott, Hultz, and Sigler commissioners appointed by State Legislature to form the newly formed Fountain County Seat of Justice, met here at William B. White Home.
He erected the County's first mill here near the covered bridge, the County's . . . — — Map (db m20411) HM
Organized in 1832 by German speaking families of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Rowen County, North Carolina. Migrating to Indiana in 1828. August 7, 1836 Jacob and Elizabeth Linebaugh Bowman deeded land for the First Church and Cemetery. — — Map (db m10027) HM