Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Obverse Side - - Abram Hammond Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
Obverse Side - - Abram Hammond Marker
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Abram Hammond
. . . — Map (db m44705) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Brookville College
Site of Brookville College erected 1852 - - 1872. “Julia Dumont Society” founded here December 16th 1853. Original building purchased by Brookville and served as Public School 1873 - - 1912. Building razed 1912 and present . . . — Map (db m44698) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1992.1 — Brookville Historic District
Platted 1808 along Whitewater River, Brookville was an important entry point to interior lands opened to settlement. The district's concentration of well-preserved buildings reflects the city's continued prosperity. Brookville Historic District . . . — Map (db m44697) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1966.1 — Brookville, Franklin County — ( Platted 1808 )
. . . — Map (db m44695) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.2 — Brookville's Carnegie Library
Dedicated in 1912, starting with approximately 600 books; collections and services have expanded to meet needs of local patrons. One of 1, 679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie . . . — Map (db m44694) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.2002.1 — Brookville's Grandstand
Side one This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth . . . — Map (db m44693) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Franklin County War Memorial
( Plaque ) The original monument on this site was erected by the Grand Army of The Republic and bore the following inscription: “I am dying, but I die for my Country” Gen. P. A. Hackleman was the only General from Indiana . . . — Map (db m44901) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Goodwin Home
Built by John D. Howland circa 1856~1857. Later owned and occupied by John H. Farquhar, Merchant, Member of Congress; Aaron C. Miller, Merchant; John C. Hitt, Banker; Dr. John R. Goodwin, Banker, Civil War Surgeon, Paymaster in the Department of the . . . — Map (db m94158) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.3 — Intersection of Treaty Lines
One mile south is intersection of western boundary line of Treaty of Greenville, Ohio (1795) and Treaty of Grouseland, near Vincennes (1805), northeastern boundary line. By these treaties, Native American tribes ceded land to the United States . . . — Map (db m66866) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — James Brown Ray — Feb. 19, 1794 ~ Aug. 4, 1848
Governor of Indiana, 1825 ~ 1831. Erected this house circa 1821 ~ 1822. Palladian window and transom fan~light considered "too aristocratic" by early Hoosiers. — Map (db m94157) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1949.1 — Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church
Built in 1812, this is the oldest church building still on its original location in the state. Interior shows rifle openings in walls, a balcony and raised pulpit. Burial plot adjoins church. — Map (db m44920) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Old Brookville Church and Cemetery
First permanent Church in Brookville was built by Methodists 1820. It was occupied by Methodists 1821 - 1839 Presbyterians 1839 - 1855 Lutherans 1855 - 1922 Baptists since 1953 Many Brookville early . . . — Map (db m44699) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.1 — Old Franklin United Brethren Church
United Brethren among earliest settlers in eastern Indiana during territorial period. Original structure, built 1831, one of first United Brethren churches in Indiana. Evangelical United Brethren Church joined Methodist Church to become United . . . — Map (db m66867) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — The Courthouse Square
. . . — Map (db m44703) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — The Purple Heart — Honor and Memory of All Veterans
( Emblem - - “The Purple Heart” ) Dedicated to those who have received or will receive our Nations Oldest Decoration the Purple Heart In honor and memory of all veterans who served and died for Freedom. Let . . . — Map (db m44692) WM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.2006.1 — Brigadier General CSA Francis Asbury Shoup
(Front Side) Remembered for service in Confederate States of America army, 1861-1865, and "Shoupade" fortification design; fought in battles of Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Atlanta. Advocated recruitment of African Americans for CSA army. . . . — Map (db m66860) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.1965.1 — Whetzel Trace (1818-1823)
Here Edward Toner founded SOMERSET, 1816, & operated Toner's Tavern, 1816-1823, from which rallying point pioneers started west on Jacob Whetzel's Trace to the "New Purchase" of Central Indiana. — Map (db m66859) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Ben Franklin III
The Ben Franklin III, launched in 1989, was designed and constructed in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Designed as a freighter, the vessel is 75’ long and has a beam (or width) of 12’. Constructed of wood and fiberglass, it holds approximately 75 . . . — Map (db m59594) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Boundary Hill — The Greenville Treaty Line in Southern Indiana — Marking the “Gore” at the Whitewater Canal
This is the point on the line established by the Treaty of Greenville, August 8, 1795, between General Anthony Wayne and the Indian tribes of the Northwest Territory. This treaty opened southern Ohio and eastern Indiana to white settlement. — Map (db m79692) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Canal Front Dry Goods Store
Two story frame of Federal style. Built by Jonathan Banes in 1848. First known as the firm of Jenks Banes & Calvin Jones. Harry & Alvin Blacklidge 1852-57 Mahlon & Milton Gordon 1857-92 Wm. N. Gordon started banking business in west . . . — Map (db m44796) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Duck Creek Aqueduct
An aqueduct is a bridge carrying one body of water over another. The Duck Creek Aqueduct was originally built in 1843 to convey the canal over Duck Creek 16 feet below. Flood waters in 1847 destroyed the aqueduct, which was soon replaced by the . . . — Map (db m55560) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Gordon's or Millville Lock #24
Gordon's, or Millville Lock #24, was one of the 56 locks on the Whitewater Canal constructed to accommodate a 491-foot drop in elevation along its course. The water level could be raised or lowered eight feet. Mitered gates at both ends of the . . . — Map (db m66863) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Jenks and Martindale Grocery
Alfred Blacklidge was the original owner of this building. The original building burned in 1885. In the early 1900's. Blacklidge was extending credit to surrounding sharecroppers, when bad times came, forcing many of the farmers to default on their . . . — Map (db m44904) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Martindale Hotel
Built in 1838 by Ezekial Tyner to house his store room and counting room where he acted as agent for canal trade, housing his family in the addition to the rear. He then purchased the land from David Mount in 1841. Thomas Tague acquired the property . . . — Map (db m44902) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Christian Church
Organized July 18, 1841. The oldest Christian Congregation in Franklin Co. This Church was organized as a result of a revival meeting held by Rev. Alexander Campbell, founder of the Campbellites. Services were held for a time in the upper story of . . . — Map (db m2404) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Grist Mill
In 1845, Jonathan Banes built a three-story frame cotton mill, known as Metamora Cotton Factory, on this site. Banes, a former contractor on the canal, converted the cotton factory to a flouring mill in 1856, and sold the mill to John Curry in . . . — Map (db m44903) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Masonic Lodge
This stone building, constructed in the 1840's, was owned and used by a number of families prominent in early history of Metamora. These included Martindale, Watkins, Allison and Wiley. The ground floor was a general merchandising establishment, . . . — Map (db m44865) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Van Camp's Store
This building was built in the 1850's. Mr. Van Camp housed his drug store here, which had the front blown out by a gasoline explosion in 1851. His Mother and himself perished in this tragedy. The building on either side of this were all part of one . . . — Map (db m44868) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — 24.19??.? — Whitewater Canal
Important waterway of pioneer commerce. Built 1836 - 47 from Lawrenceburg to Hagerstown, with branch to Cincinnati. Used until 1860. Fifteen-mile section restored by state. — Map (db m44708) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Whitewater Canal State Historic Site
The Whitewater Canal was one of several projects begun by the Indiana Improvement Act of 1836, which was designed to improve transportation and develop commerce state-wide. Constructed to link southeastern and central Indiana, the canal was . . . — Map (db m59608) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Whitewater Canal State Historic Site
The Whitewater Canal was one of several projects begun by the Indiana Improvement Act of 1836, which was designed to improve transportation and develop commerce state-wide. Constructed to link southeastern and central Indiana, the canal was . . . — Map (db m66862) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — 24.1971.1 — Academy of the Immaculate Conception — Sisters of Saint Francis
Opened in 1852; enlarged in 1876 and 1901. The Academy Classroom Building and the Auditorium were completed in 1968. — Map (db m66850) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Corpus Christi Procession Route
Located due north is the 1st of 4 chapels used in the procession. This annual devotion honors the Blessed Sacrament (Corpus Christi) on the 9th Sunday after Easter. It was first celebrated here in 1846, but originated in 13th century Germany. This . . . — Map (db m66854) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Father Franz Joseph Rudolf
Born in Battenheim, Alsace, April 23, 1813 "Founder of Village of Spires" Appointed Pastor 1844 Built Stone Church 1845 - Present Church 1862 Founded Convent of Sisters of St. Francis 1851 Served as Civic Leader and Missionary in Area Buried June . . . — Map (db m66856) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Hackman General Store
Erected 1861-64 by Anton Hackman from Winkum, Germany at a cost of $3,317.35. Structure consists of 125,000 brick handmade locally at Gehrings Brick Yards. Bricklayers earned $2.00 and Laborers $1.25 for 10 hour day. Ornate tinwork on front of . . . — Map (db m66855) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Immaculate Conception Convent
Motherhouse of the Sisters of the Third Order of Saint Francis. Founded in 1851 by Mother Theresa Hackelmeier of Vienna, Austria. Rebuilt after fire in 1857. Chapel built in 1889. Convent reconstructed in 1876 and 1901. Novitiate built in 1931 and . . . — Map (db m66851) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Old Stone Church — Built 1846-1848
Father Franz Joseph Rudolf laid corner stone September 8, 1846. Succeeded original log church of St. Mary in 1848. Consecrated April 14, 1850. Replaced by present Holy Family Church in 1862. Made into part of Franciscan Friary in 1866. Renovated . . . — Map (db m66853) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — Town of Oldenburg
First settled 1817 by William George of Pennsylvania. Town platted 1837 by J. Henry Ronnebaum and Henry Plaspohl. Named for the Dukedom of Oldenburg in Germany from whence they came. First church and school built in 1837. First Post Office erected . . . — Map (db m66852) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Rockdale — 24.2005.1 — Snow Hill Covered Bridge
(Front Side) Built 1894-1895 over Johnson's Fork Creek by John H. Horn and William H. Butts to a Howe truss design by John Burkhart. All men were local residents. Bridge was important passageway to Cincinnati markets. Rests on stone . . . — Map (db m66868) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.