While trapping for beaver along the Jefferson's Fork River in the fall of 1808, John Colter and his companion, John Potts, were surprised by a war party of Blackfeet braves. With no chance to escape Colter came ashore while Potts retreated and was . . . — — Map (db m121297) HM
John Colter's nearly three years with the Lewis & Clark Expedition had hardened him for a life in the mountains. He had survived cold, hunger, grizzly bears, and Indians. It was the lure of wealth from beaver pelts that kept him in the West from . . . — — Map (db m121298) HM
Early prominent Missouri River port, New Haven was settled about 1805 and was first named Millers Landing for pioneer Philip Miller.
The Pacific R.R. (MO. PAC.) reached here in 1855 and the town was laid out and renamed the next year.
John . . . — — Map (db m121231) HM
John Colter, a Virginia native was recruited in Kentucky by Meriwether Lewis, to serve in the Lewis & Clark Expedition, October 1803. Colter became a valued member of the Corps of Discovery, serving as a hunter and scout. When Colter asked to leave . . . — — Map (db m121294) HM
Born about the time of the American Revolution John Colter was enlisted as a private in the Lewis and Clark Expedition at Maysville, Kentucky in October, 1803. He began the expedition as an oarsman but because of his skills as a woodsman was . . . — — Map (db m121295) HM
Private John Colter was among the first members to be recruited by Captain Meriwether Lewis for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Colter was a skillful hunter, scout, and translator and he quickly became a valuable member of the party.
After almost . . . — — Map (db m121296) HM
With the arrival of the Pacific Railroad in 1855 Miller's Landing became a railroad town. Track was laid westward from St. Louis beginning in 1851. Progress was slow and it was 1865 before St. Louis and Kansas City were connected by rail. The . . . — — Map (db m121293) HM
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m121299) HM
”Set out a 7 OClock after a hard rain & Wind, & proceed on verry well under Sale The wind favourable today we made 18 mile wind & rain Closed the Day ”
William Clark, May 26, 1804
The Lewis and Clark Expedition passed by . . . — — Map (db m121300) HM
Detour to Hermann
Sterling Price's 1864 Army of Missouri was divided into three divisions, commanded respectively by Confederate Generals Joseph "JO" Shelby, James Fagan and John Sappington Marmaduke. After a disastrous confrontation with . . . — — Map (db m124309) HM WM
The first train arrived in Washington, Missouri, in 1855. That event confirmed Washington's position as the major transportation center in Franklin County. The railroad town's first railroad depot was destroyed in a Civil War raid on October 2, . . . — — Map (db m121238) HM
In 1880 the Bank of Washington constructed this Italianate style building. The bank remained here until 1923. From 1877 to 1880, the bank was located in the building adjacent to the west. — — Map (db m124329) HM
Within this block, known since 1959 as Krog Park, lie the bodies of many early settlers of Washington. The town of Bassora was founded October 8, 1836 and this block was set aside for the city's cemetery. In 1847 this cemetery received the remains . . . — — Map (db m124423) HM
Originally a one story structure owned by Miss Julia Beckmann; she had a stationary and book business here until 1892 when she sold the building to the Trentmann family. Miss Beckmann had two additional "bays" which she rented to other shop keepers. — — Map (db m124314) HM
Johann "Friedrich" Bleckmann built his first blacksmith shop in 1834. His son Fritz and grandson Henry J. built the eastern part of this building in 1888. "Bleckman's" is the oldest business in Washington. — — Map (db m124389) HM
John F. Bleckman began business here in 1856. He was joined by son Henry in 1880. The family lived upstairs and continued business here until about 1914 when the business relocated. — — Map (db m124390) HM
For about five years, the Kahmann family operated a hotel and saloon here. John Boland then conducted the Commercial Hotel for about fifteen years, at which time it was sold to and enlarged by Elijah Zumwalt. — — Map (db m124315) HM
Erected in 1891, this addition created a dining room to the north and a "sample room" to the south for salesmen to show wares. Elijah Zumwalt managed the Commercial Hotel from 1888-1921 and became the owner in 1892. The Kahmann Pork Packing Plant . . . — — Map (db m124312) HM
Built by developer C.H. Kahmann, for fifty-one years this was Dickbrader Hardware. Since then it has been an eating establishment, housing the Olympia Candy Kitchen, Mealer's Cafe and Cowan's Restaurant. — — Map (db m124313) HM
In 1867 John G. Droege opened Droege's Mercantile Food Store on Main Street in Downtown Washington. He was followed by Cecilia Jack, Firmin and Butch & Judy Droege. This building was built in 1896. — — Map (db m124359) HM
Permanent settlers began arriving in the area of present-day Washington, Missouri, in the 1790s. After former United States President George Washington died at his Virginia estate in 1799, numerous cities, counties and a state were named in his . . . — — Map (db m124397) HM
William Owens realized the potential for a town at the site of "Washington Landing" on the Missouri River. He purchased property including the landing and began to sell city lots as early as 1829.
Owens' murder in 1834 led to his estate being . . . — — Map (db m124413) HM
Herkstroeter established his men's clothing business in 1875 and built this structure four years later. His descendants continued business until 1923. Bocklage Menswear built the addition in 1947. — — Map (db m124322) HM
Having been in business with partners L. H. Peistrup and C. H. Herkstroeter since 1861, John D. Hibbeler relocated to this building from Elm and Main Streets. Later operating solely, records show that the Hibbeler General Merchandise Store remained . . . — — Map (db m124388) HM
54,246 U.S. dead.
33,651 killed in action.
103,000 U.S. wounded.
8,179 U.S. Missing in Action.
7,000 Prisoners of War
Only 3,450 returned
51% died in prison camps.
389 POW's unaccounted for.
22 different nations united into one . . . — — Map (db m124411) HM WM
Foss constructed this building for his newspaper business. He was the proprietor of the "Observer" for several years and then in the insurance business. this building later housed the First National Bank. — — Map (db m124321) HM
2006 Preservation Award
Washington Preservation, Inc.
John Clayton Inn
Washington began in the area of Front and Lafayette Streets. The John Clayton Inn was located near the natural . . . — — Map (db m124366) HM
Kentucky natives William G. and Lucinda Owens came to Missouri in 1818. William soon became the leading politician of newly created Franklin County. In 1827 he purchased a farm and ferry boat at Washington Landing. On July 4, 1829, he began to sell . . . — — Map (db m124370) HM
Dutch immigrant Henry Tibbe and his son Anton began production of corncob pipes in 1869. The first portion of the factory was completed in 1883. The corncob pipe made Washington famous around the world. — — Map (db m124375) HM
1999 Preservation Award
Washington Preservation, Inc.
Missouri Pacific Passenger Depot
Increased passenger traffic led railroad . . . — — Map (db m124363) HM
For several years, Washington's Mayor John J. Ernst, the city council and other officials repeatedly petitioned the Missouri Pacific Railway Company to build a new depot at Washington. Finally, work on the improvement was started early in 1923. . . . — — Map (db m121242) HM
C.H. Kahmann had Pacific House built as a tavern and hotel to accommodate passengers on the just-completed Pacific Railroad. Sold to Frederick Wohlgemuth in 1857, it has continued as a tavern under numerous owners. — — Map (db m124362) HM
Washington's first depot was destroyed by fire during a raid by General Sterling Price in 1864. It was originally east of the current brick depot. The present structure is believed to be the oldest surviving frame depot west of the Mississippi River. — — Map (db m124374) HM
This marker commemorates Robert Frazer, a member of the Corps of Discovery, on the occasion of the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Listed as a witness in the trial of United States vs. Robert Westcott, Frazer wrote to . . . — — Map (db m61608) HM
August Roettger completed this structure for two businesses. He had a woodworking shop in the lower level and his wife operated an inn on the upper floors. Local architect Otto Brix is credited with the building design. — — Map (db m124365) HM
After four years in business, Joseph H. Schmidt purchased this building in 1880 and his "Schmidt Boss Jewelers" continued for 110 years through three generations of the Schmidt family. — — Map (db m124323) HM
Built to house Fred Schnier's sewing machine and tailoring business, it also showcased his wife Katharina's handmaid hair goods shop. The family resided here for two generations. — — Map (db m124404) HM
A group supporting the Confederacy established this church under the leadership of Dr. Benjamin Burch. In 1883 it became the Crispus Attucks African-American School, later the Vocational Agriculture building for the Washington School District. — — Map (db m124406) HM
The parish dates back to 1834 when founded by twelve immigrant German families. This third church structure was constructed between January 1866 and March 1869 under the leadership of Father Martin Seisl, S.J. — — Map (db m124391) HM
George Tamm, a German immigrant, bought this lot from Bernard Fricke in 1863. Tamm and his son Charles had their shoe business and residence here until 1925. The addition was added after the Tamms' ownership. — — Map (db m124402) HM
The mural turns the corner to face viewers approaching the Riverfront Park.
The evening sky turns to night.
The 1900's to the present are illustrated in the letters of "Missouri".
M - In 1907, Roberts, Johnson, and Rand Shoe Company . . . — — Map (db m124361) HM
The John B. Busch Washington Brewery And Malt House
In about 1854 John Baptiste Busch together with his older brother, Henry Busch, and a friend, Fred Gersie, started the Washington Brewery and Malt House at Jefferson and Eighth Street. John . . . — — Map (db m125024) HM
Washington Railroad Depot Burns
Confederate General Marmaduke's forces were advancing on Washington as October 1864 approached, with fear and widespread panic among the town's residents. Many citizens crossed the river to evade the advance . . . — — Map (db m125893) HM
Ethnic Heritage: Located in the strongest area of German settlement in Missouri, Washington by the 1850s was a predominantly German town and remained so until the post World War I years. With a German newspaper, church and parochial schools, . . . — — Map (db m124360) HM
John D. Grothaus and John G. Droege operated a general merchandise store at this location from 1867 until Grothaus's death in 1876. The Grothaus family has since leased the property to various businesses. — — Map (db m124325) HM
"Set out early...passed wood river [today's Dubois Creek near Washington, Missouri] on the Lbd [larboard or south] Side... Camped at the mouth of a Creek called River a Chauritte [La Charrette] above a Small french village of 7 houses and as . . . — — Map (db m61610) HM
The theatre was built to present plays in German to the local German speaking population. In 1866 this theatrical society merged with the Turn Verein. The structure was then used by the Grand Army of the Republic and became known as Liberty Hall. . . . — — Map (db m124403) HM
In recognition of three brothers who served their country in the armed forces and returned home to serve their community.
Board of Public Works . . . — — Map (db m124519) HM WM
Dedicated to the men and women who serve in the United States Armed Forces so the principles of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness might prevail. Many times they are called upon to prove that only courage and sacrifice can keep freedom alive . . . — — Map (db m124410) WM
Characterized by old world charm of its German heritage, Washington was founded by William G. Owens who bought acreage here 1828, at the Missouri River ferry then called Washington Landing, Lucinda Young Owens, his widow, filed the . . . — — Map (db m61607) HM
Home of Lucinda Owens, official founder of Washington.
November 20, 1909 - November 20, 1984
the citizens of Washington, Missouri
by Franklin County Mercantile Bank
in commemoration . . . — — Map (db m124394) HM
The Pacific Railroad became a reality in Washington in February, 1855. This event allowed Washington to become the largest and most industrialized city in Franklin County. Many changes have occurred since that time within the railroad system. . . . — — Map (db m124372) HM
This building was erected by the Interstate Gas and Waterworks Company. The building served not only as a pumping station for Washington's water supply but also as the home of the proprietor. — — Map (db m61587) HM
The citizens of Washington hereby commemorate the Sister City partnership between the City of Marbach am Neckar, Germany and the City of Washington, Missouri. Recognizing the value of mutual understanding to world peace, we unite in contributing . . . — — Map (db m61644) HM
Hotelkeeper William Wolf had this building constructed in 1869. It was one of several inns and hotels located alongside the railroad tracks and near the depot. Wolf later sold this hotel and started a hotel in Pacific, Missouri. The building has had . . . — — Map (db m124364) HM
Zachariah Foss House
This house was purchased by Zachariah and Amelia Foss in 1848. Zachariah was a cabinetmaker and Amelia was a teacher of English-speaking children. The house served as a school and is Washington's . . . — — Map (db m124369) HM