Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Markers at the Rolando Woods Lion's Club Memorial Park image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, May 15, 2010
Markers at the Rolando Woods Lion's Club Memorial Park
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — 10,000 Soldiers Fight at Monterey Pass
During a fierce thunderstorm on the evening of July 4, 1863, a nine-mile-long wagon train of supplies, livestock and wounded soldiers made its way from Fairfield through Monterey Pass. This was the advance of the Confederate retreat column from . . . — Map (db m31046) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — Monterey Academy1890 - 1961
This monument is dedicated to all the teachers and students who attended this school. Built in 1890 and completed in 1892, was known as Monterey Academy, and was a two room one story building that housed grades one through eight. In the school year . . . — Map (db m10768) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — Old Trolley Line
You are walking on old trolley line. Just in back Jim's pop corn stand. Ice cream, hot-cold sandwiches. Beside Jim's was trolley station; also Pen Mar post office. This was in early 1900's. — Map (db m10009) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — The Battle of Monterey Pass
During the morning hours of July 4th 1863, General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army began its withdrawal from Gettysburg. General Lee ordered two key mountain passes at Monterey and Fairfield to be secured for the Confederate retreat. These two . . . — Map (db m30981) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — The Battle of Monterey Pass
After Captain Emack placed his troops near the Monterey House, Custer's men consisting of a portion of the 1st and 5th Michigan Cavalry began their advance. The 5th Michigan was sent toward the right to protect Kilpatrick's right flank. A small . . . — Map (db m31034) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Blue Ridge Summit — The Battle of Monterey Pass
As Confederate Captain George Emack's men held the approach of Monterey Pass, Union General George Custer, supported by artillery began his attack toward the intersection where the wagon train was retreating. Captain Emack, fearing that he could not . . . — Map (db m31047) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Abolitionist John Brown Boards in Chambersburg
Preparing for the raid on Harpers Ferry arsenal, John Brown came to Chambersburg in the summer of 1859 wearing a beard as a disguise and using the alias of Isaac Smith. He took up residence at Mary Ritner’s boarding house on East King Street, . . . — Map (db m18531) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Brown's Mill School
Built in 1836. Used until 1921 as one-room elementary school. — Map (db m84007) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Burning of Chambersburg
Occupied the morning of July 30, 1864, by cavalry of Confederate Gen. John McCausland. Failing to obtain ransom, he burned the town in reprisal for ruin in the Shenandoah Valley by Gen. David Hunter. — Map (db m2140) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m8107) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out “Chambers Town” in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by “Jeb” Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in . . . — Map (db m35807) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m92222) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m92625) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg Founded A.D. 1764
Burned by rebel cavalry July 30, A.D. 1864 Destroyed Buildings 537 Value of Real Estate $713,294.34 Value of Personal Property $915,137.24 — Map (db m8097) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Confederate Conference
On June 26, 1863, Gen. Robert E. Lee, and staff, entered this square. After conferring with Gen. A.P. Hill, near the middle of the 'Diamond', Lee turned eastward and made headquarters at the edge of town. — Map (db m8099) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Falling Spring Church
Founded 1734; main part of present church built 1803. One of the Presbyterian churches marking the first great settlement of Scotch-Irish pioneers west of the Susquehanna. — Map (db m8062) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Finding Your WayLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Arches were a common site across the Lincoln Highway route. A Gateway Arch, now removed, spanned Lincoln Way East. The wooden arch greeted travelers as they passed through downtown. It was at this very intersection (Lincoln Highway and U. S. Route . . . — Map (db m35181) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — First Lutheran Church
This church, the third building, stands on the site of a log church built in 1780 by the Lutheran and Reformed and used jointly by the congregations till 1808. The land was granted by Benjamin Chambers. — Map (db m8121) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort Chambers
Erected in 1756 by Col. Benjamin Chambers, pioneer land-owner and founder of the town, who fortified his house and mill with stockade and cannon against Indians. — Map (db m8114) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort Chambers
Southwest 150 Feet Erected 1755-56 by Colonel Benjamin Chambers Founder of Chambersburg A two story stone structure surrounded By a moat A stockade manned by two swivel guns Enclosed the fort, flour mill, sawmill, And dwelling. . . . — Map (db m18645) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort McCord
Built by the settlers; named for John McCord. Burnt April 1, 1756, by Indians, who killed or carried into captivity 27 persons. The site is marked, about 500 feet away. — Map (db m84012) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Founding Family Memorial Statue"The Homecoming"
On March 30, 1734, Benjamin Chambers, a Scots-Irish immigrant and millwright was granted a Blunston License by the Penn family to develop a 400-acre plantation and gristmill for the first Franklin County settlement, named the Falling Spring . . . — Map (db m18630) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Franklin County
Formed on September 9, 1784 from Cumberland County and named for Benjamin Franklin. Site of Falling Spring, noted limestone trout stream. Birthplace of James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States. Chambersburg, county seat, was laid out 1764. — Map (db m2142) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Franklin County World War I MemorialSpirit of the American Doughboy
They shall live forevermore our glorious dead 1917       1919 Erected to the memory of the men and women of Franklin County who gave their lives in the World War “Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for . . . — Map (db m14021) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Frederick Douglass and John Brown
The two abolitionists met at a stone quarry here, Aug. 19-21, 1859, and discussed Browns plans to raid the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry. He urged Douglass to join an armed demonstration against slavery. Douglass refused, warning the raid would . . . — Map (db m18625) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — French & Indian War – Revolutionary War – War of 1812Soldiers of Franklin County
French and Indian War     1755-1758 In this war there were so far as can be determined two or three organized companies of Associators within the present limits of the county, who took part in the several campaigns to the West, in suppression . . . — Map (db m45163) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
On June 26, 1863, Gen. R.S. Ewell, with orders to take Harrisburg, marched his army by this road toward Carlisle, which he reached next day. On June 29, he was ordered to rejoin Lee's army at Cashtown. — Map (db m8006) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Robert E. Lee reached Chambersburg June 26, 1863. Hearing June 28 that Union troops under Gen. Joseph Hooker had crossed the Potomac to Frederick, he decided to unite his forces at Cashtown; and left the city by this road. — Map (db m8007) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
General Albert G. Jenkins' brigade of Southern cavalry entered Chambersburg on June 15, 1863, in advance of the main invasion force, and later led the invading army, June 22-24. General Robert E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26. — Map (db m84013) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. A.G. Jenkins' Southern cavalry raided Chambersburg June 15-17, 1863, prior to the main invasion; and later led the invading army, June 22-24. Gen. R.E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26. — Map (db m84014) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Israel Benevolent Society Cemetery
Consecrated in 1844, this cemetery provided a place for Jews to be properly buried under the requirement of Judaic law. Founded by Chevrah Kaddishah (Holy Burial Society), it is the first Jewish cemetery west of Philadelphia formed during a period . . . — Map (db m8118) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — John Brown
Boarded in this house for a while in the summer of 1859 under the name of "Smith". While in Chambersburg, he secretly received firearms and ammunition. Later in 1859k Brown led a raid on the arsenal at Harper's Ferry. — Map (db m8103) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Joseph Winters(c.1816-1916)
African American inventor who secured a U.S. patent for the first fire escape ladder and hose conductor in 1878. In 1879 Winters was issued a second U.S. patent for improvements to the original invention. Winters was active in the Underground . . . — Map (db m8058) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — King Street ChurchFounded 1878
King Street Church moved to the southwest corner from the northeast corner of King and Second Streets in 1936, expanding to accommodate growth. For 63 years, the church was led by Dr. Clyde W. Meadows (1928-1961), and Dr. Paul B. Baker (1961-1991). . . . — Map (db m8060) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Margaret Cochran Corbin
Heroine of the Revolution; born Nov. 12, 1751, near Rocky Spring, 1 1/2 miles to NW. Accompanied her husband to war. Manned a cannon, Fort Washington, N.Y., Nov. 16, 1776, when he was killed. She was wounded, pensioned, and assigned to Invalid Regt. . . . — Map (db m8106) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Martin Delany(1812 - 1885)
Delany was an influential abolitionist, civil rights activist, Army officer, and prominent physician. The son of an enslaved father and free mother received his education in Chambersburg. He went on to publish and anti-slavery newspaper, "The . . . — Map (db m8102) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Masonic Temple
Built 1823-1824. Oldest Pennsylvania building erected solely for Masonic use and now used exclusively for that purpose. Spared when Confederates burned town on July 30, 1864. — Map (db m8057) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Memorial Fountain and Union Soldier Statue
Erected at center of Memorial Square to honor over 5,000 Franklin County soldiers who served in Civil War, 1861-65. Secured through gifts of Franklin County citizens and dedicated July 17, 1878. Entered in National Register of Historic Places, May . . . — Map (db m8095) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Messersmith's Woods
Name of grove selected by Gen. R.E. Lee for his headquarters, June 26-30, 1863. Here he issued the order for the concentration of troops near Gettysburg. Site of woods is just south of this point. — Map (db m8122) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Mexican War – Spanish American War – World WarSoldiers of Franklin County
Mexican War     1846-1848 --------------- 4 officers and 122 men – Co. B, 11th U.S. Regular Infantry. Approximately 325 men enlisted in the U.S. Army from Franklin County. --------------- Spanish American War     1898-1899 . . . — Map (db m45168) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Morrow Tavern
A two-story stone house occupied as a tavern by William Morrow stood on this site. George Washington, with staff, lodged here, Oct. 12, 1794, when traveling west to review troops assembled at Bedford to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m8101) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Old Brown's Mill School
Originally known as Trinity Church and School. Erected in 1836 at land donated by Lazarus Brown for free school and non denominational church purposes. Funds ($391.36) for this building were contributed by 51 citizens. Used by Antrim Twp. until . . . — Map (db m84016) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Old Franklin County Jail
Of Georgian design, this jail was built in 1818 and was in continuous use for 152 years. The third oldest building in the borough, it survived the burning of Chambersburg by Confederate forces during the Civil War. — Map (db m8059) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Patrick Gass(1771 - 1870)
Enlisted by Meriwether Lewis as a private in the Lewis & Clark Expedition, 1803 - 1806; selected as a Sergeant in August, 1804. His carpentry and soldiering skills earned written commendation from Lewis. Gass later published his diaries of the . . . — Map (db m8123) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Philip Berlin
Recognized as the inventor of the first sleeping car in U.S. for use of travelers. The car, "Chambersburg", was operated as early as 1838 between Harrisburg and Chambersburg. He lies buried in graveyard at rear of church. — Map (db m8120) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Scotland School for Veterans' Children
Established in 1895 as the Pa. Soldiers' Orphans Industrial School, the state-run institution provided primary and secondary education to veterans' children in a residential setting. About 10,000 boys and girls were instilled with a sense of . . . — Map (db m84015) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Site of Fort McCord
The site of Fort McCord where twenty-seven pioneer settlers men, women and children were massacred by Indian savages or carried into captivity, April 1st, 1756, was a few rods south east of this spot.

In the list of victims were Mary McCord, . . . — Map (db m84011) HM

Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Suesserott House
Built about 1807. Later, it was the home of Dr. Jacob Suesserott, a prominent physician, dentist and surgeon. The fire started by Confederate cavalry on July 30, 1864, was arrested at this point. — Map (db m8119) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The Burning of Chambersburg
During the Gettysburg campaign, Confederate troops were restrained, under orders, from destroying non-government property. By the time of the Rebels’ next raid into the North, however, the policy had changed. On July 30, 1864, Brigadier General . . . — Map (db m18532) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The Greatest Sacrifice / Prelude to Gettysburg
The price of war is devastation. Franklin County paid the price when its county seat, Chambersburg, was burned to the ground in 1864. Invaded in 1862, 1863, and 1864 by Confederate forces, Franklin County has the distinction of suffering more . . . — Map (db m18629) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The John Jack Tavern
On this site stood the John Jack Tavern. Operated by the family of James Jack, courier of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. The Tavern was used from 1784 until 1794 as a courthouse and jail for Franklin County. — Map (db m8098) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — This Dwight D. Eisenhower Green Ash
Was planted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 1599 in honor of all those men and women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. This living memorial will stand as a humble reminder of the sacrifices and dedication of these men . . . — Map (db m8115) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Thompson's Rifle Battalion: Capt. James Chambers' Company
Recruited in this part of Cumberland (now Franklin) County, Chambers' Company was a unit of the first battalion in the colonies authorized by Congress, in June 1775. From here this company marched about 450 miles to join the siege of Boston. The . . . — Map (db m8116) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine In memoriam to Walter S. Sellers, pharmacist, who lost his life in the sinking of the Battleship Maine, . . . — Map (db m34375) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Underground Railroad Activity in Chambersburg
Throughout the pre-Civil War period, there were a number of Underground Railroad "stations" in this area, temporary places of refuge for former slaves escaping through the mountainous terrain to freedom in the North. One local Underground Railroad . . . — Map (db m8096) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Union Soldiers of Franklin County
Erected in memory of the Soldiers of Franklin County who fought for the Union in the War Between the States 1861-1865 Dedicated July 17th, 1878 ---------- Approximately 40 feet southwest of this tablet, Generals Robert E. Lee and A. P. Hill met . . . — Map (db m45160) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — War Between the States1861-1865
The following Penna. Commands were organized and recruited entirely or in part in Franklin County. 2nd Regt. Inf. – Co’s. A. B. C. • 35th Regt. Inf. – 6th Reserves Co. D. • 41st Regt. Inf. – 12th Reserves Co. K. • 43rd Regt. 1st . . . — Map (db m45169) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Wilson College
Founded in 1869, and named for Sarah Wilson, its benefactor. One of the oldest colleges for women in the U.S. Opened, 1870, in "Norland", former home of Col. A.K. McClure, close friend of Abraham Lincoln. — Map (db m8104) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — World War II – Korean Conflict – Vietnam ConflictSoldiers of Franklin County
World War II,     1941-1945 In this war, Franklin County sent into the Armed Forces of the United States approximately 6,460 men and women.. --------------- Korean Conflict,     1950-1953 In this conflict, Franklin County sent into the . . . — Map (db m45165) WM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — A Quest for Honor
To secure for the purpose of a site for a monument . . . an acre or more of ground at Stony Batter, near Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, the birth place of my uncle James Buchanan, and thereon to erect a suitable monument with proper . . . — Map (db m58648) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — Birthplace of James Buchanan
This monument marks the birthplace of James Buchanan, fifteenth President of the United States Born 23 April 1791     Died 1 June 1868 — Map (db m58641) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — James Buchanan
President 1857 – 1861. Was born April 23, 1791, a half-mile from here. The cabin itself was moved to Mercerburg, 1850, and in 1925 to Chambersburg. In 1953, it was removed to The Mercerburg Academy campus where it may be seen. — Map (db m58635) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — James Buchanan       The Early Years
It is a rugged but romantic spot, and the mountain and mountain stream under the scenery captivating. I have warm attachments for it . . . ”James Buchanan on Stony Batter The Buchanans enjoyed living on the edge of the . . . — Map (db m58653) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — President James Buchanan
The incorruptible statesman whose walk was upon the mountain ranges of the law.”           Life long friend Jermiah S. Black U.S. Attorney General 1857-1860, U.S. Secretary of State 1860-1861 This park commemorates the . . . — Map (db m58657) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — Stony Batter
To Stony Batter the birthplace of James Buchanan ← James Buchanan ---------------------- Born April 23, 1791.Passed his school-boy days in Mercersburg, became a lawyer, member of legislature and of Congress, Minister to Russia, member of . . . — Map (db m58659) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Cove Gap — Stony Batter       Birthplace of a President
Imagine stepping back in time to April 23, 1791. Packhorses and wagons were pulling into a bustling trading post owned by Scotch-Irish immigrant James Buchanan. There was probably a spring chill to the air. Perhaps the sun shone brightly overhead, . . . — Map (db m58655) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — Basic Ingredients
Before the age of railroads, the basic ingredients of iron production needed to be nearby. That explains why furnaces were built in rural settings surrounded by the necessary raw materials. A source of iron ore was essential. As the furnaces . . . — Map (db m105071) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — Caledonia Furnace
Erected in 1837 by Thaddeus Stevens and James D. Paxton. Stevens' antislavery stand led to its destruction by Gen. Jubal Early, June 26, 1863, on his way to York during the early Gettysburg campaign. — Map (db m11618) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — Caledonia Furnace
Erected 1837 by Thaddeus Stevens the great commoner father of the Pennsylvania common school system the first to advocate education for the mountaineer children early exponent of anti-slavery born April 4, 1792 died August 11, 1868 the entire works . . . — Map (db m11697) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — Making Iron
The ironmaking process was well-known and cold-blast furnaces built in 18th and 19th century America mimicked designs first used 400 years earlier. A thick stone furnace, shaped like a flat-topped pyramid served as the place of transformation, where . . . — Map (db m105072) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — Thaddeus Stevens Blacksmith Shop
The stone walls of this old building have withstood the adversities of time and people to stand in mute testament of historical events that helped shape a nation. Built in 1837, partners John Paxton and Thaddeus Stevens erected a blacksmith . . . — Map (db m11700) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — The Good Roads Jubilee / The Lincoln Highway
(Left Side): The Good Roads Jubilee One of the largest celebrations for the opening of a paved section of the Lincoln Highway was held here, at the Caledonia Forest Reserve Park, on October 4, 1921. The new paved section of the Lincoln . . . — Map (db m11702) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fayetteville — The Workers Pyramid
It took hundreds of workers to produce iron, although only a few actually worked at the furnace. Fillers dumped carts or ore, charcoal and limestone into the seething tunnel head. The founder, assisted by a keeper, ordered ingredients, determined . . . — Map (db m105073) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Fort Loudon — Fort Loudon
Erected by Col. John Armstrong. In the winter of 1756, by the order of the Province of Pennsylvania, was situated a mile south-east of this spot. The fort was built for the protection of the frontiers against the Indians and took the place of the . . . — Map (db m92220) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — Captain Ulric Dahlgren
Commanded a detachment of Union cavalry that made a surprise attack on a larger force of Confederate cavalry on this square, July 2, 1863. Important papers for General Lee were taken from the men who were captured. — Map (db m8008) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — Colonel John Allison1738-1795
This tablet honors the memory of Col. John AllisonWho, in 1782, founded Greencastle. Allison's Tavern, which stood on this site 200 years ago, was the beginning point of the survey which resulted in the streets and building lots that formed the town . . . — Map (db m11613) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — Corporal William H. RihlCo. C, 1st N.Y. Cavalry
(Front):To the memory of Corporal William H. Rihl. Co. C. 1st N.Y. (Lincoln) Cavalry. Who was killed on this spot June 22, 1863 (Left):The First Union Soldier killed in action in Pennsylvania (Back):An humble but brave defender . . . — Map (db m11616) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — Gettysburg Campaign
Here on June 22, 1863, the First N.Y. Cavalry attacked the Southern advance force of cavalry under Gen. A.G. Jenkins. Here died the first Union soldier killed in action in Pennsylvania. Corporal William H. Rihl of Philadelphia serving in a . . . — Map (db m8005) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — McCullough's Tavern
Here on October 12, 1794, President George Washington is said to have taken breakfast while passing through the area to suppress the "Whiskey Rebellion." This tavern, ca. 1700's, was owned by Robert McCullough and was also known as The Mansion . . . — Map (db m11615) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — The First Soldier to Fall
When General Robert E. Lee’s invading army overran the Union garrison at Winchester, Virginia, on June 15, 1863, elements of the 1st New York “Lincoln” Cavalry covered the retreat. Company C, under Captain William Boyd, continued to . . . — Map (db m34162) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Ambush at Mercersburg
On July 3, 1863, three Confederate riders in Mercersburg’s town square were ambushed by two Union stragglers. Bullets passed through Private J.W. Alban, killing him and also the horse of the rider beside him. The third man quickly galloped out of . . . — Map (db m18533) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Black Boys Rebellion
This conflict began in 1765 on the site of the Widow Barr's house west of here, when British troops from Fort Loudon skirmished with a group of white settlers, wounding colonist James Brown. "The Black Boys," led by James Smith, opposed renewed . . . — Map (db m83985) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Buchanan House
James Buchanan, lawyer, statesman, diplomat, 15th President of the U.S., born in Stony Batter, lived here 1796-1807. Sgt. Patrick Gass, carpenter for winter quarters on the Lewis & Clark expedition, 1803-06, worked here as an apprentice, 1794-95. — Map (db m8016) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Burning Of Chambersburg
Over this road Gen. John McCausland's Confederate cavalry marched north on July 29, 1864. By way of Mercersburg, they reached and burned Chambersburg next morning, and were at McConnellsburg next night. — Map (db m43111) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Citizens Seized
On October 10, 1862, Confederate cavalry commanded by Gen. J.E.B. Stuart briefly occupied Mercersburg on their way to raid Chambersburg. Acting under orders from Gen. Lee, Stuart took ten men from the Mercersburg area hostage. Cornellus Louderbaugh . . . — Map (db m8030) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Col. Murphy's Hotel
Built c. 1798 and used as a dormitory of Marshall College, the "Old Mansion House" was acquired by Col. Murphy in 1845 who managed it as a prominent hotel until 1864. It was rumored to be a station on the underground railroad. Soon to be President . . . — Map (db m8041) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Dr. Hugh Mercer
A physician and surgeon, practiced in the Conococheague settlement 1750 – 1755, and lived in this locality during that time. A personal friend of Washington, a general in the Revolutionary Army, he received his death wounds at the Battle of . . . — Map (db m58687) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Fort Davis
Built about 1755, on land of Philip Davis. Farthest south in this State of a line of settlers' refuges from Indian attacks. The site is about a mile away. — Map (db m83984) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Fort Marshall
This settlers' refuge, located near Warm Spring Indian Trail, was built about 1755 on the land of William Marshall. It was used as a station in the daily military patrol to guard the southwestern frontier of the Conococheague Settlement from raids . . . — Map (db m8021) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Fort McDowell
John McDowell's mill, stockaded in 1755 by local settlers. Used by Provincial authorities until building of Fort Loudon, 1756. Starting point of Col. Burd's road to the West, 1755. — Map (db m8044) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — James Buchanan15th President of the United States 1857 - 1861
James Buchanan, a Representative and a Senator from Pennsylvania and the 15th President of the United States; born at Cove Gap, near Mercersburg, Franklin County, Pa., April 23, 1791; moved to Mercersburg, Pa. with his parents in 1796; was privately . . . — Map (db m8036) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — James Buchanan
Born April 23, 1791.Passed his schoolboy days in Mercersburg, became a lawyer, member of the legislature and of Congress, Minister to Russia, member of the United States Senate, Secretary of State, Minister to Great Britian and fifteenth President . . . — Map (db m58661) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — John Darby, Lot 14, 1786
John Wolfe, 1795 Jacob Shaffer, 1815 Thomas Reynolds Robert McCoy D.M.B. Shannon, 1856 Dr. John Kuhn, 1905 Dr. William Grove, 1950 James W. & Carol W. Smith, 1972 — Map (db m58691) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Lane House
Built by Thomas Lane. Was later occupied by the family of Elliott Lane, a brother. Here, Harriet Lane, niece of James Buchanan, and mistress of the White House during his Presidency, was born. — Map (db m8018) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Marshall College
Used the Theological Seminary building. Was chartered, 1836; removed to Lancaster, 1853, and united with Franklin College. First president was Dr. Frederick A. Rauch, famed scholar and educator; author of textbook on psychology. — Map (db m8014) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Mercersburg
Founded c.1750 as “Black’s Town” and called “Smith’s Town” after 1759. Renamed “Mercersburg” in 1786 to honor Hugh Mercer, a Scot, who came to this area c.1749, established a local medical practice and served with . . . — Map (db m83997) WM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Mercersburg Borough
Mercersburg Borough was incorporated in 1831 with a population of 700. This lot was the site of the first Town jail and an early band shell. F. Keagy built Borough Hall in 1904 for $4304.38; G. Seylor added the clock tower in 1909 for $375. South . . . — Map (db m84004) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — President Buchanan’s Home
1796 – 1829 — Map (db m58690) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Reformed Theological Seminary
Was situated on this campus, 1837-71. Here, Drs. Frederick A. Rauch, John W. Nevin, Philip Schaff, taught and wrote. Their works on theology, philosophy, and church history were influential in the U. S. and Europe. — Map (db m8015) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Rev. Steel's Fort
The Rev. John Steel, pastor of Upper West Conococheague, was made militia captain; and his church, stockaded in 1755, provided protection from hostile Indians. The site is at Church Hill. — Map (db m8013) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Steiger House at Mercersburg
Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart, during the first Chambersburg Raid (October 1862), stopped in Mercersburg at Bridgeside, the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Steiger. He intended to use the house as his headquarters while his troops rounded up . . . — Map (db m18534) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Stuart's Headquarters
On Oct. 10, 1862, 1800 picked Confederate cavalry commanded by Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and Brig. Gen. Wade Hampton with four cannon under Maj. John Pelham occupied Mercersburg on their way to destroy the railroad bridge at Chambersburg used to . . . — Map (db m18536) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Stuart's Raid
Confederate cavalry under Gen. J.E.B. Stuart entered this state Oct. 10. 1862. Unable to burn the iron bridge at Chambersburg, they reentered Maryland near Emmitsburg, Oct. 11, circling the Union Army. — Map (db m43132) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — The 54th Mass. Infantry Regiment, US Colored Troops
In 1863, the 54th Massachusetts Regiment was among the first Civil War combat units open to African Americans. Troops from Pennsylvania made up more than 20 percent of the acclaimed unit. Mercersburg was second only to Philadelphia in mustering . . . — Map (db m44651) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — The Archibald Irwin House
On September 26, 2003, this property was nearly destroyed by fire. Located in the northwest corner in a two-story log house built in 1791-1792 by Archibald Irwin. Irwin's granddaughter Jane married William Henry Harrison, Jr., and served as First . . . — Map (db m8039) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — This Stone Marks the Site of the Fort at McDowell's Mill
Erected by John McDowell before 1754. It was used as a base of supplies and as a magazine until the erection of Fort Loudon in 1756. The military road from Pennsylvania, connecting with the Braddock Road at Turkey Foot, was built from this point in . . . — Map (db m8045) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — To Irwinton Mills
In the limestone mansion house still standing, lived Archibald Irwin and Jean McDowell, his wife. To them were born two daughters. Jane, the elder, became the wife of William Henry Harrison, Jr., and was mistress of the White House during the brief . . . — Map (db m58686) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — W-G-M Turnpike
Built c. 1845 as Number 8 of the nine tollhouses on the Waynesburg-Greencastle-McConnellsburg turnpike which ran 2 miles from the Maryland state line east of Waynesboro through Mercersburg to McConnellsburg, this building is one of two extant . . . — Map (db m58685) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — William Findlay
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1817-20; born on this site, June 20, 1768. First candidate for governor nominated by convention. Advocate of State internal improvements; U.S. Senator 1821-27. Died, Nov. 12, 1846, at Harrisburg. — Map (db m8020) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — William Findlay
In commemoration of William Findlay. Born in Mercersburg June 20, 1768; member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives five sessions, 1797-1807; State Treasurer for eleven years; Governor of the Commonwealth 1817-1820; United States Senator . . . — Map (db m58689) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mercersburg — Zion Union Cemetery
Eighty-eight African Americans from Mercersburg volunteered to defend the Union during the Civil War. At least 36 of those veterans lie in Mercersburg Zion Union Cemetery, established in 1876 by local Black citizens. By 1850 Mercersburg had 26 . . . — Map (db m44650) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Captain John E. Cook
Near this spot Captain John E. Cook, of John Brown’s Army of Liberation, was captured and disarmed on October 25, 1859 by Daniel Logan and others. He was hanged at Charlestown, Virginia, December 16, 1859. — Map (db m1010) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Chestnut Spring
In Memoriam Workers at Mont Alto Furnace One Half Mile West 1807    1893 — Map (db m7778) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Conklin Hall
Built 1907-1909 by the students of early forestry classes from trees and sandstone in the nearby hills, Conklin Hall served as a dormitory until 1989. It was named for Robert Conklin, the Pennsylvania Commissioner of Forestry who supervised its . . . — Map (db m1014) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — George H. Wirt(1880-1961)
Pennsylvania’s first professionally trained forester and co-founder and first director of the State Forest Academy begun here in 1903. A protege of Dr. Joseph T. Rothrock, Wirt advocated learning through theory and practice and set pioneering trends . . . — Map (db m49635) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — John Brown Raid
Captain John Cooke, one of Brown’s followers, was captured near here on October 25, 1859, nine days after the raid on Harper's Ferry. He was hanged December 16, two weeks after John Brown. — Map (db m1009) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Penn State Mont Alto Campus
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1893 purchased the surrounding lands from the Mont Alto Iron Co. The State Forest Academy was established in 1903 on this site and in 1929 was merged with the Penn State's School of Forestry. Mont Alto continued . . . — Map (db m92223) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Pennsylvania State Forest Academy
The Commonwealth’s first forestry school was established here at Mont Alto in 1903 and named the State Forest Academy in 1905. Among the first in the nation, it later merged with the Pennsylvania State University. Joseph T. Rothrock, the . . . — Map (db m49637) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Mont Alto — Ralph Elwood Brock
(1883–1959) The first African American graduate of the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy here at Mont Alto and a member of the original class of 1906. A student & associate of Dr. J.T. Rothrock, Brock was Mont Alto State Forest Nursery . . . — Map (db m49636) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — Brown's Spring
During Lee's retreat General Judson Kilpatrick U.S.A. took 1500 prisoners and 9 mi. wagon train near here — Map (db m89956) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Battle Begins
At this location, Confederate Captain Robert Tanner deployed one Napoleon cannon to guard the eastern Summit of South Mountain. At 9:00 p.m., the 5th Michigan Cavalry, leading the advance of union General Judson Kilpatrick’s Cavalry Division, . . . — Map (db m103452) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassKilpatrick Divides His Cavalry
As a squadron of the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry went into the woods, portions of the 1st and 5th Michigan cavalry began their advance. The 5th Michigan Cavalry was sent toward the right and a portion of the 1st Michigan Cavalry was ordered to . . . — Map (db m103453) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Wolverines Fight
Union General George A. Custer’s cavalry brigade advanced here, along the banks of red run, deploying along both sides of the road. The 5th Michigan Cavalry deployed to the right, while the 7th, 6th and portions of the 1st Michigan Cavalry deployed . . . — Map (db m103483) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Initial Breakthrough
General Kilpatrick, quartered at the Monterey Inn, ordered artillery to support Custer’s troopers. Near the present-day golf course, Captain Alexander Pennington deployed two rifled cannon and began to shell the Confederate battle line with case . . . — Map (db m104828) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassA Wild and Desolate Scene
The 1st West Virginia Cavalry arrived and were ordered to charge the Confederate cannon on this side of the bridge. Seeing the West Virginians in their front, Confederate Captain William Tanner ordered the cannon to fire its last two shots before . . . — Map (db m104829) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassConfederate Reinforcements Arrive
The Confederate defenders of Captain George Emack’s company of the First Maryland Cavalry, supported by Captain Tanner’s artillery detachment, were deployed in this area. As the battle continued past midnight, reinforcements began to arrive. The 4th . . . — Map (db m104830) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Retreat From GettysburgLongstreet's Corps
On July 5, Confederate General James Longstreet’s Corps marched from Fairfield, along the Jack’s Mountain Road to Fountaindale. From there, Longstreet’s Corps marched to Monterey Pass, along the Emmitsburg and Waynesboro Turnpike. General John B. . . . — Map (db m104831) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Rouzerville — Dr. Henry HarbaughBirthplace and Early Home
Birthplace and early home of Dr. Henry Harbaugh, Pennsylvanian German author, theologian and educator, 1817-1867.

One hundred yards southeast is site of the old school house at the creek.

"Today it is just twenty years since I began to . . . — Map (db m96158) HM

Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Saint Thomas — Fort Waddell1754
One of the forts for the defense of the frontier of Cumberland County from Fort Davis to Shippensburg stood near this marker on the plantation then owned by Thomas Waddell — Map (db m8051) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Saint Thomas — Fort Wadell
One of a line of forts built by settlers in this region for refuge from Indian attacks following Braddock's defeat in 1755. It stood just to the north. — Map (db m8050) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Saint Thomas — Jacob Nelson "Nellie" Fox(1927-1975)
1997 Baseball Hall of Fame inductee. Second baseman for the Chicago White Sox (1950-1963). Known for his passion and work ethic, Fox was an AL MVP (1959), a 3-time Gold Glove Award winner, and a 12-time All-Star. His boyhood home stands nearby. — Map (db m8052) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Saint Thomas — Joseph Armstrong
Settled here on land applied for in 1737 and warranted 1752. Member of the Assembly 1750-55. Captain of militia 1755 and in Pennsylvania Regiment 1756-57. Died 1761. Home used in 1757 as a ranging station for troops in the French and Indian War and . . . — Map (db m92624) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Saint Thomas — St. Thomas Commemorates
1734. License July 31, to Charles Campbell, 200 acres. No survey. At the head of a spring which runs thro John MacFarlans tract. 1734. License July 31, to James Campbell, 200 acres. No survey. joining to his brother Charles Campbell. 1738. Election . . . — Map (db m8056) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), State Line — Gettysburg Campaign
Over this route Confederate General R.S. Ewell's 2d Army Corps led Lee's invading forces on June 22, 1863. Next day Gen. Jubal Early, under Ewell's command, entered the state to the east, near Waynesboro. — Map (db m7999) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — 728 — Battle of Monterey Pass/Michigan Cavalry BrigadeMonterey Pass Battlefield Park
(side 1) Battle of Monterey Pass During a torrential rainstorm on the night of July 4-5, 1863, the Michigan Cavalry Brigade moved to intercept the retreating Army of Northern Virginia by attacking the miles-long wagon train of . . . — Map (db m83958) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Cupola – Waynesboro’s Crown Jewel
She inspired, she endured for 52 years, she symbolized the future of education in the Waynesboro area. Waynesboro High School 1937-1954 Waynesboro Area Senior High School 1954-1962 East Junior High School 1962-1989 Superintendent – . . . — Map (db m103546) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Dr. Henry Harbaugh
Pennsylvania-German author, theologian, and educator, 1817-1867, was born one and one-half miles distant. The house is marked by a monument. — Map (db m83980) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by Gen. Ewell to march to York. — Map (db m8002) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — John Wallace, Jr.
Laid out the present town in 1797 and named it Waynesburg in honor of General Anthony Wayne. In 1831, name changed to Waynesboro. Stone portion of the Wallace house still stands about 200 yards southeast of here. — Map (db m8003) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Nearby On This Tract of Land Called Mount Vernon
Stood the home of Colonial Patriot John Wallace, Junior February 15, 1755 - May 1811 Founder of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania - 1797 The town laid out in 1797 was named Waynesburg until 1831. The plot included the original "settlement" which came to be . . . — Map (db m8004) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Old Log Building
The one-and-a-half story structure that stands about 100 yds. north of here is one of the oldest buildings in Waynesboro. Built for a schoolhouse and church between 1770 and 1780 by John Bourns. Later used as dwelling. — Map (db m8000) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Snow Hill Cloister
An offshoot of Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County, deriving its name from the Snowberger family active in its foundation. Composed of widows, widowers, and single persons, with goods held in common, it prospered from 1814 until the Civil War — Map (db m83982) HM

142 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.