Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin Tennessee Historical Markers

 
The Harrison House Marker site (screen left) image, Touch for more information
By Larry Gertner, June 16, 2019
The Harrison House Marker site (screen left)
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 52 — "The Harrison House"
The Civil War touched this house. Here, Sept. 2, 1864, the mortally wounded Brig. Gen. John H. Kelly, CSA, was brought here after the affair between his cavalry division and Federals under Brig. Gen. James D. Brownlow. He was buried in the garden, . . . — Map (db m136181) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 125th O.V.I."Opdycke's Tigers" — 1st Brigade 2nd Division 4th Corps U.S. —
The 125th O.V.I. was formed at Camp Cleveland, Ohio in August of 1862. The regiment was stationed in Franklin in the spring of 1863. On November 30, 1864, the 125th were in reserve 150 yards north of the Carter house with Opdycke’s brigade. Without . . . — Map (db m135349) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 183rd Ohio Volunteer InfantryThird Brigade — 2nd Division 23rd Corps U.S. —
The 183rd Ohio was mustered into Federal Service November 13, 1864 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. With 700 officers and enlisted men present, it arrived at Rutherford Creek on November 28th and was engaged in skirmishing at Spring Creek the following day. . . . — Map (db m135441) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3" Ordinance Gun
Made and presented to Confederate Memorial Park by Harold Winstead in honor of his ancestor, Samuel Winstead, in whose honor this hill was named and who is buried 200 yds. NW of this location. — Map (db m137246) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 320 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140626) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 403-405 Main Street
These buildings have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140808) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 430 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m69504) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 432-438 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m69505) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 44th Missouri Infantry
This regiment was organized in the late summer and early fall of 1864. It was commanded by Col. Robert C. Bradshaw, a veteran officer who had seen prior action at Lexington and Shiloh. The 44th Missouri was shipped to Tennessee to help defend . . . — Map (db m138573) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — A Crucial War Zone 1863
For the Union, 1863 brought the Emancipation Proclamation, victory at Gettysburg, and the capturing of the Mississippi River. Federal forces continued their drive toward Atlanta in hopes of ending the war altogether. But on March 5th, seven miles . . . — Map (db m103335) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — A Dream PostponedThe Struggle of Freed People in Williamson County
To assist the newly freed with court cases, education, and housing, Congress formed the Freedmen’s Bureau in 1865. An additional goal of the Bureau was to help create labor contracts between white landowners and the formerly enslaved. In October . . . — Map (db m103487) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Abram Maury
Abram Maury (1766-1825) came to this area from Virginia in 1797 to settle on 640 acres he purchased from Major Anthony Sharpe. In 1798, he reserved a square-shaped area of 109 acres for a town he intended to name Marthasville for his wife. Instead, . . . — Map (db m50694) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,200 . . . — Map (db m103665) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,500 . . . — Map (db m103667) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Main Line: 1,000 . . . — Map (db m105086) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Allen Manufacturing Company
This complex of ten depression-era buildings, with a total of 310,000 square feet, housed four different factories over its industrial lifetime. The buildings were built for the Allen Manufacturing Co. (stove manufacturers) in 1929. More than . . . — Map (db m69023) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Andrew Jackson
On his return from New Orleans Andrew Jackson gave a brass cannon to Franklin A part of his soldiery camped here on their way to New Orleans. — Map (db m61730) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Attack on the Union LeftInto a Withering Fire — Hood's Campaign —
(preface) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to the . . . — Map (db m70660) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Attack On The Union Left / Lot No. 1 in the Plan of Carnton
(obverse) Attack On The Union Left Confederate Regiments from Brig. Gen. Thomas Scott's, Brig. Gen. John Adams', and Brig. Gen. Winfield Featherstons's Brigades of Maj. Gen. William Loring's Division advanced under artillery fire . . . — Map (db m40107) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Bate's DivisionCheatham’s Corps — Army of Tennessee C.S.A. —
Maj. Gen. Wm. B. Bate’s division consisted of Smith’s Tennessee-Georgia, Bullock’s Florida and Jackson’s Georgia brigades. The division, struck the main line west of Brown’s Division, their right in the locust grove and their left at the Carter’s . . . — Map (db m137252) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 49 — Battle Ground Academy
Founded in 1889 as Battle Ground Academy, named for its location where the Battle of Franklin occurred in 1864, and dedicated in an address by Confederate General William B. Bate, later governor and U.S. Senator, this boys' preparatory school was . . . — Map (db m62329) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinArtillery Hellfire
Several Federal gun crews delivered relentless fire to this portion of the Franklin battlefield late in the afternoon of November 30, 1864. At least fourteen of the Union’s thirty-six fieldpieces engaged at Franklin could hit the Eastern flank here. . . . — Map (db m103508) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinInto the Twilight
Visibility was always a critical factor in Civil War battles. Officers and enlisted men needed clear lines of sight to know where to move, when to stay in place, and in which direction to shoot. At the Battle of Franklin, two important factors . . . — Map (db m103685) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinThe Landscape Shapes the Battle
During the Civil War, topography played a major role in shaping events. The Battle of Franklin was a prime example. When Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood’s 20,000 men charged across these fields, the steep hills to their left and the angling . . . — Map (db m103686) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin
(Left Panel) Here occurred one of the most desperately fought battles of the entire War Between The States between forces (flag) under Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield, and the attacking (flag) Army of Tennessee under Gen. John B. Hood. . . . — Map (db m138333) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, AftermathUnion POWs and the Sultana Disaster
More than 700 Union soldiers were made prisoners before, during, and after the Battle of Franklin. Although the war was almost over, many of them would never see their homes again. The vast majority were taken to prison camps in Cahaba, Alabama, and . . . — Map (db m103505) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCarnton
Today’s Carnton presents a quiet pastoral setting, but before the Civil War, John and Carrie McGavock’s farm would have looked more like a bustling agricultural factory. Their plantation encompassed 700 acres, more than three times the amount . . . — Map (db m103441) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCarnton Becomes a Hospital
Confederate Gen. Willaim Loring’s division marched across the McGavock plantation during the battle. Anticipating heavy casualties, his officers chose Carnton for a hospital. The main house was a sound choice. Less than a mile (.6 km) from . . . — Map (db m103442) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankRecruiting For War
On September 28, 1861, local men sympathetic to the Confederacy gathered in this field to form the Williamson County Cavalry (Co. F, 4th Tennessee Cavalry). The local newspaper pronounced the company composed of “about 100 of the finest . . . — Map (db m103480) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLoring's Division
In the Battle of Franklin, Confederate Gen. William W. Loring’s division formed the far right flank of the Confederate assault line. Numbering approximately 3,500 men, it marched across these fields and smashed into the Federal lines. The attempt to . . . — Map (db m103482) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCasualties in Perspective
How costly was the Battle of Franklin? More Americans became casualties in this five-hour battle than were lost in the first twenty-four hours of the Invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944, the largest amphibious assault in history. In both . . . — Map (db m103484) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankDistances to Local & State Landmarks
(map panels) (left) Distances to Local Landmarks (right) Distances to Major Landmarks — Map (db m103509) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankNashville & Decatur Railroad
About 600 yards (550 meters) in front of you is the Nashville & Decatur Railroad. During the war, this line was only a few years old, but it was the most direct north-south transportation route through Middle Tennessee. Consequently, it was one . . . — Map (db m103635) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankThe Average Soldier
Whether in the Union or Confederate ranks, the typical Civil War soldier at Franklin came from a rural world. More than likely, he lived in the countryside or in a town about the size of Franklin, which had a population of about 750 at the time. . . . — Map (db m103636) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankShells from Fort Granger
About one mile (1.6 km) directly north of you stands Fort Granger, a large earthen fortification that provided the Union army a commanding view over much of this area. Built in the spring of 1863, Fort Granger sat on top of Figuers’ Bluff . . . — Map (db m103637) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLewisburg Pike Toll House
Road construction boomed in Tennessee during the mid-1800s, and the Nashville area was the state’s primary highway hub. Private companies built most of the roads, and they placed tollhouses along the routes to collect fees to cover costs and create . . . — Map (db m103666) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankMcGavock Slaves and the Civil War
Of Tennessee’s 83 counties in 1860, only in three did slaves outnumber whites. Two were near the Mississippi Rover, where large plantations flourished. The third was Williamson County. The McGavocks of Carnton, who owned 39 people in 1860, were . . . — Map (db m103687) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankMcGavock Gristmill and Sawmill
During the battle, Confederate forces charged a gristmill and sawmill that stood directly in front of you on the Lewisburg Pike. In antebellum Middle Tennessee, tobacco grew well in the north, while cotton blossomed in the south. Corn, wheat, and . . . — Map (db m103960) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Beasley Town
In 1899, W.J. Beasley and family came from Lick Creek to Franklin to establish a home and lumber mill. By 1920, Beasley was paying taxes on his home, sawmill and 24 rental houses valued at over $10,000 in total. Originally, the rental homes were . . . — Map (db m140980) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Becoming the Front Line 1862
"Throughout 1862 first one army would be encamped in town, then the Federals. Raids were frequent, then we would run down in our cellar to get out of the range of the bullets. Sometimes we would spend a whole night there. The quiet would go on for . . . — Map (db m103333) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brigadier General Hiram B. GranburyConfederate States of America — Commander, Texas Brigade, Army of Tennessee —
(front) Born: March 1, 1831 Died: On this field, November 30, 1864 A moment before he fell, he urged his Texans on: “Forward, men, forward! Never let it be said that Texans lag in a fight!” They never did, and neither . . . — Map (db m138119) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brigadier's Walk
The sense of pride, honor and integrity of the everyday fighting man of the Army of Tennessee made the brilliant careers of these five Brigadier Generals possible. Largely non-slave owning, these brave men of the Army of Tennessee followed Adams, . . . — Map (db m135827) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brown's DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A. —
This division, commanded by Major General John C. Brown, consisted or Gordon’s, Strahl’s and Carter’s Tennessee Brigades, and Gist’s South Carolina and Georgia Brigade. They were engaged south and west of the Carter House to the locust grove. Around . . . — Map (db m137251) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Captain Theodrick (Tod) Carter20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Smith’s Brigade — Bate’s Division, Cheatham’s Corps, Army of Tennessee C.S.A. —
Born at the Carter House March 24, 1840 and educated at the Harpeth Academy. He was an attorney-at-law and a Master Mason. Tod enlisted in Co. H, 20th Tenn. Inf. May 1, 1862. Appointed Assistant Quarter Master on Oct. 24, 1862 and served as a war . . . — Map (db m137299) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carnton PlantationBattle of Franklin
Carnton was built ca. 1815 by Randal McGavock (1768-1843), planter, political leader and mayor of Nashville. Named after the McGavock home in Northern Ireland, the house was greatly enlarged by Randal ca.1826. His son, John, later added the Greek . . . — Map (db m62916) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carnton PlantationCaught in the Middle — Hood's Campaign —
Preface: In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to . . . — Map (db m135448) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carter Gin House
The Carter cotton gin house, the scene of some of the bloodiest fighting of the Battle of Franklin, was located about 80 yards east of Columbia Pike. General Adams, Cleburne and Granbury were killed near here. The gin house, a weatherboarded, frame . . . — Map (db m137248) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 34 — Carter House»—→
Built 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter, and in use by three generations of his family. Here was command post of Maj. Gen. Jacob D. Cox, Federal field commander of Schofield's delaying action. The hottest fighting took place just east and south nearby, . . . — Map (db m40114) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carter's Cotton GinBloody Ground — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood let the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m137247) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Charles C. Johnson School
Johnson Elementary School was dedicated on November 30, 1958, being named for Dr. Charles C. Johnson (1886-1966), a prominent local African American physician. Mr. James R. Watkins (1914-1996), Johnson’s first principal, led the school through the . . . — Map (db m141186) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 57 — Chickasaw Treaty Council
In the spring of 1830 Congress passed the Indian Removal Act providing the President with means to exchange the lands of the five civilized Indian nations of the Southeast for lands west of the Mississippi. On August 20, 1830 Andrew Jackson met in . . . — Map (db m61729) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — City Cemetery
The two-acre city cemetery was deeded by Joel Parrish in 1811 to the town commissioners for $100. Among the early settlers buried here are Ewan Cameron who built Franklin’s first house, and Thomas Stuart, who served as judge of the Fourth Circuit . . . — Map (db m141592) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Civil War FranklinWomen's Experience
According to a Nashville newspaper, by 1863 the ravages of war had made once-prosperous Franklin "but the ruin of its former greatness. Desolation and decay have passed over it." The Union occupation in the spring of 1863 was followed by a . . . — Map (db m120382) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Civil War FranklinThe African-American Experience
In 1860, African-Americans — both enslaved and free — made up more than half of Franklin's residents, as well as half of Williamson County's population. When the Federal army arrived late in 1862, many slaves freed themselves by . . . — Map (db m120385) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cleburne’s DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A. —
This division was commanded by Major General Patrick R. Cleburne, and consisted of Granbury’s Texas Brigade, Govan’s Arkansas Brigade, and Lowry’s Alabama and Mississippi Brigade. They were engaged around the Cotton Gin, which stood S.E. of the . . . — Map (db m135355) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cockrell's Missouri Brigade CSA
On this field of honor Missouri men of Cockrell’s Brigade fought and died for Southern independence November 30, 1864 Franklin, Tennessee Presented by Missourians of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and his friends in memory of . . . — Map (db m135824) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 45 — Confederate Cemetery<-- 0.7 miles
Following the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864, John McGavock, owner of “Carnton,” collected and buried here the bodies of 1496 Confederates. The five general officers killed there were interred elsewhere after being brought to the . . . — Map (db m83173) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Confederate Reunions at McGavock's Grove
Years after the Civil War ended, veterans slowly began to form reunions. Among the most common gathering sites were cemeteries, where survivors paid homage to their fallen comrades. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery was one such meeting place. . . . — Map (db m103488) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Courthouse
Williamson County's first courthouses, one log, one brick, were in the center of the square. This the third, completed in 1858 under the supervision of John W. Miller, is one of seven antebellum courthouses in Tennessee. The four iron columns were . . . — Map (db m61696) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Edward Swanson(1759-1840)
Edward Swanson laid the foundation for a cabin one mile west prior to March 1780. This was the earliest known attempted white settlement in Williamson County. Swanson was one of eight men who came to the French Lick with James Robertson early in . . . — Map (db m126981) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Epic Struggle in the Carter Garden
Prior to the Civil War, this area was part of a roughly two acre tract used by the Carter family as a garden. Potatoes, okra, raspberries, apples, and peaches were just a few of the crops grown here. On November 30, 1864, the garden was destroyed . . . — Map (db m138686) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Epicenter of the Battle of FranklinThe Carter House — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northeast against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m136409) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Ewen Cameron
On this site in 1798 Ewen Cameron built the first house in the town of Franklin. Cameron was born Feb. 23, 1768 in Balgalkan, Ferintosh, Scotland. He emigrated to Virginia in 1785 and from there came to Tennessee. Cameron died Feb. 28, 1846, having . . . — Map (db m61692) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Federal BreastworksBattle of Franklin
The breastworks, thirty yards south, were held by Grose’s Brigade, Kimball’s Division of the Fourth U.S. Army Corps on Nov. 30, 1864. Around 5 p.m., the brigade was attacked by two regiments of Finley’s Florida Brigade, C.S.A. The Floridians . . . — Map (db m135394) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Federal Forward Line
On November 30, 1864, Col. Joseph Conrad's and Col. John Lane's brigades of Brig. Gen. George D. Wagner's Federal Second Division, Fourth Corps, were placed east and west of the road near this position one half mile south of the Federal main line. . . . — Map (db m83176) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Field HospitalsCaring for the Wounded — Hood's Campaign —
Preface:In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the . . . — Map (db m137255) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fifth Third Bank
This building was built in the late 1870’s or early 1880’s. In 1888, it housed the agricultural implements repository but in 1893, it was a boarding house. In 1903, Marshall Neely operated a hotel here (sic) it was purchased in 1908 by a Mr. Mays. . . . — Map (db m140325) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger
In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on . . . — Map (db m40116) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFranklin Stronghold — Hood's Campaign —
In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to the Sea,” Hood . . . — Map (db m41119) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerWalking Tour Introduction
Welcome to Fort Granger. The fort’s position atop Figuers Bluff allowed the Union army to command the town of Franklin as well as the road and railroad that served Nashville. The 84th Indiana Infantry was among the regiments that improved and manned . . . — Map (db m142321) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerManning the Fort
Located along Figuers Bluff overlooking the Harpeth River, this Federal fort, named for Union Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, was well situated to control transportation in and out of Franklin. U.S. Corps of Engineers Capt. William E. Merrill supervised . . . — Map (db m142425) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger“We could see every troop and every gun”
Union troops fought at Fort Granger during the Battle of Franklin of November 30, 1864. As the sun set that afternoon, Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood’s army engaged Union Gen. John M. Schofield’s troops in a vicious battle. Five horrific hours of . . . — Map (db m142524) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFrom Slaves to Free People
After the Union army occupied Franklin, hundreds of enslaved African Americans fled neighboring plantations and farms and headed toward the Federal camps. Some of these self-emancipated former slaves, called “contrabands,” built and . . . — Map (db m142636) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger“Tried in the Fire”
Staunchly pro-Confederate Williamson County raised several large regiments in the spring of 1861. But after the fall of Nashville in February 1862, Federal regiments quickly occupied the region. They suppressed hostile Confederate sympathizers and . . . — Map (db m142697) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFrom Slaves to Soldiers
On March 24, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln told Tennessee Military Governor Andrew Johnson, “The colored population is the great available, and yet unavailed of, force for restoring the Union.” In September 1863, Johnson gave . . . — Map (db m142735) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger Federal Garrison
The Federal Garrison at Franklin centered on the earthworks fortification on Figuers’ Bluff. Detached works included Gen Granger’s headquarters at a smaller works some 700 yards east at Ralston Lane, gun emplacement on Liberty Pike east of Ralston . . . — Map (db m135395) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills
(side 1) Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes and Joseph L. Campbell established a manufacturing operation for the production of cotton and woolen goods on this 3.5 acres site in 1825. The first steam . . . — Map (db m83179) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 66 — Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1871 as Franklin's first Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the cornerstone was laid on June 3, 1876. Designed by H.C. Thompson, architect of Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, the church was dedicated on April 16, 1877, with the Rev. Thomas Dale . . . — Map (db m61719) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Downtown Historic District
The town of Franklin was developed in 1799 by Abram Maury, who acquired the land from Major Anthony Sharpe. The original town, consisting of 109 acres, was composed of sixteen blocks divided into 188 lots centered on a 2-acre public square. The . . . — Map (db m140424) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Housing Authority (FHA)
The Franklin Housing Authority (FHA) was chartered 1953 and from that point has been a leader in providing safe, affordable housing in the Franklin community. The FHA owns approximately 53 acres on six sites in the core of Franklin. These sites . . . — Map (db m141055) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo
The Franklin Noon Rotary Club was chartered in 1948 by nineteen leading Williamson County businessmen, professionals, and farmers. The organization is best known for founding the Franklin Rodeo in 1950, an annual event which has grown into one of . . . — Map (db m83285) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Railroad Depot
In 1853, John S, Claybrook, a Williamson County railroad visionary, led a group of about 30 local citizens to provide the initial $20,000 capital for building the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. The City of Franklin followed with $20,000. Once the . . . — Map (db m142176) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Special School DistrictEstablished in 1906
(side 1) On October 27, 1906, the Franklin School Board was created by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. In April 1907, the Tennessee Legislature officially recognized District Nine, Franklin City School System. The original Franklin . . . — Map (db m83180) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin’s Civil War SitesThe Battle of Franklin
(prelude) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to . . . — Map (db m141977) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Freeman's Battery, Forrest's Artillery
Front: Dedicated to Freeman’s Battery, Forrest’s Artillery and Samuel L. Freeman, Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s first artillery captain. The battery was captured on the Lewisburg Pike near Franklin, TN, April 10, 1863 Rear: While advancing toward . . . — Map (db m135828) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hard Bargain
In 1873, W.S. McLemore subdivided 15 acres which he called “Hard Bargain” because of a difficult land deal struck in 1866. Hard Bargain became a stable community, largely African-American. The Harvey McLemore house on this lot, built in . . . — Map (db m141263) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Harpeth River Restoration and Fish PassageA project of America’s Great Outdoors
Tennessee’s Harpeth River Restoration Project is designated a keystone conservation and outdoor restoration project under President Obama’s America’s Great Outdoors program. Here, we celebrate the partnership and collaboration that resulted in . . . — Map (db m138511) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hincheyville
In early 1819, Alfred Balch, Felix Grundy, James Irwin, Randal McGavock, and James Trimble developed Hincheyville, Franklin's first subdivision. The ninety acres, extending from Fair to Eleventh Avenues, including 26 lots on Fair Street, 25 lots on . . . — Map (db m61716) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 11 — Hood and SchofieldNov. 30, 1864
Schofield, slipping his army past Hood's at Spring Hill, entrenched in the southern edge of Franklin, 2 mi. N. Here Hood attacked him frontally about 4 p.m., sustaining heavy losses. Schofield withdrew to Nashville, Hood followed. Hood's command . . . — Map (db m135821) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hood's Retreat
Following the Battle of Franklin, the Union army dashed north into their supply base of Nashville and its vast network of fortifications where Gen. George H. Thomas had assembled a sizeable force. In pursuit came Gen. John Bell Hood’s battered . . . — Map (db m103490) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John Adams
Tennessee born John Adams was a West Point graduate. He was commissioned Brigadier to rank from December 29, 1862, after assuming command of Maryland born Lloyd Tilghman’s Brigade. Joining The Army of Tennessee at Resaca in May 1864, the Brigade . . . — Map (db m137828) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John C. Carter
Commissioned Brigadier to rank from July 7, 1864 Carter had worked his way up from the rank of Captain by distinguishing himself with the Army of Tennessee at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro & Chickamauga. Taking part in the Atlanta Campaign, . . . — Map (db m137862) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 56 — John H. Eaton
On this site stood the home of John H. Eaton, U.S. Senator (1818-1829) and Secretary of War under Andrew Jackson (1829-1831). He resigned from the Cabinet after a scandal which reflected on the reputation of his controversial wife, Peggy. He served . . . — Map (db m61693) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 30 — John Price Buchanan
Born 3 miles, NE, Oct. 24,1847; member of the Legislature, 1887 to 1891, he was governor from 1891 to 1893. Elected by a farmer-labor coalition, his administration was marked by labor unrest and reform, extension of the public school system, and . . . — Map (db m68998) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland
(Side One) In 1898 Thomas J. and Mattie Dudley Leigh purchased a 103-acre parcel of land on the west side of Hillsboro Pike in the area known as the Grassland community. Supporting the family as farm land and orchids, the property evolved . . . — Map (db m68996) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood
(side 1) Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street In 1867 Rev. Otis O. Knight of Nashville purchased Lot 60, selling the southern half to ex-slave A.N.C. Williams, and the northern half for the construction of Wiley Memorial . . . — Map (db m69010) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 69 — Lotz House
In 1858, the Lotz House was built on property purchased from Fountain B. Carter by German immigrant Albert Lotz, a master carpenter and piano maker. On November 30, 1864, before the Battle of Franklin, the Lotz family sought refuge across the . . . — Map (db m62335) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Lotz HouseUnion Counterattack — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood let the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m83181) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Main Entrenchment Federal Battle Line
Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864. Federal commander, Gen. John M. Schofield. Confederate commander, Gen. John B. Hood. Bloodiest battle of the War Between the States for numbers involved. In this battle fell six Confederate generals: . . . — Map (db m103601) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Maj. Gen. William W. Loring's Division
During the Battle of Franklin this Confederate division composed of three brigade commanded by Brig. Gens. Winfield Scott Featherston, Thomas Moore Scott,and John Adams, swept past Carnton as it approached the Federal line just after 4 p.m. on . . . — Map (db m103337) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Major General Patrick R. Cleburne CSA
“Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men.” Nov. 30, 1864 Presented as a tribute to General Cleburne and his gallant division by Dr. and Mrs. David R. Watts — Map (db m135825) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Masonic Temple
This Masonic Temple, home of Hiram Lodge No. 7, built in 1823, was the first three-story building in Tennessee, and was at that time, the tallest building west of the Allegheny Mountains. It has been occupied by Hiram Lodge No. 7 since its . . . — Map (db m61690) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Maury-Darby Building
This oldest building on the square was built 1815-1817 by Thomas T. Maury, cousin of Matthew Fontaine Maury, “Pathfinder of the Seas,” and nephew of Abram Maury, Franklin’s founder. It has housed Franklin’s first bank, “Doctors’ . . . — Map (db m142099) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate Cemetery
After the Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864, the Union Army withdrew into Nashville. Casualties of over 8,000 Union and Confederate soldiers lay upon the field. In pursuit of the withdrawing Union forces, Confederate General John Bell Hood . . . — Map (db m69042) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate CemeteryLabor of Devotion
In the spring of 1866, the bodies of Confederate soldiers killed at the Battle of Franklin were exhumed from their temporary graves and reburied here, on this two-acre plot adjacent to Carnton, home of John and Carrie McGavock. Over about ten weeks, . . . — Map (db m83183) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate Cemetery
In the spring of 1866, Col. John McGavock, seeing the deteriorating condition of the Confederate graves on the Franklin battlefield, set aside 2 acres of Carnton Plantation as the nation's largest private Confederate cemetery. The dead were . . . — Map (db m84205) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Family Cemetery
Buried here, beginning ca. 1818, are the remains of numerous family members. Among them are Randal McGavock (1768-1843), planter and political leader who built Carnton; his son, Col. John McGavock (1815-1893), successful farmer and civic leader who . . . — Map (db m84174) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Mississippi
(Front) Twas November Thirtieth, Eighteen Sixty-Four Mississippi’s sons and fathers into battle again were poured. The young and the old. The brave and the bold. Their mission all too plain – to charge across what would be . . . — Map (db m137616) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Nashville-Franklin Interurban
Former Ticket Office Nashville - Franklin Interurban offered service 1907-1941 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140533) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Natchez Street Community
After the Civil War, Natchez Street became Franklin’s primary African-American community. Black businesses included: Undertakers J.T. Patton, Maggie Betsy Prince, Henry Ewing; Plumber Morton Thomas; Plasterer Bud Cheatham; Bricklayers Son Scruggs, . . . — Map (db m69021) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Old Factory Store
(side 1) In 1799 Franklin founder Abram Maury sold Lot 20 to Joseph McBride. By 1825 Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes, and Joseph L. Campbell operated a steam-powered cotton & grist mill on East Margin and owned Lot 20 upon which was built a brick . . . — Map (db m61727) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Old Harpeth River Bridge
On July 5, 1819, The Williamson County Court authorized “building of a bridge across the Harpeth at the town of Franklin.” The bridge was a large, enclosed, double covered bridge having a partition along its middle course, with two . . . — Map (db m142259) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Opdycke's Bridgade
Col. Emerson Opdycke's Federal brigade was positioned in this area 150 yards north of the Carter House, east and west of Columbia Pike. Without orders, the Federal brigade attacked a portion of Cleburne's and Brown's Confederate divisions after they . . . — Map (db m135705) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Original St. Philip Catholic ChurchBuilt In 1871
James Woods, a local farmer, sold this property in 1847 to Bishop Miles of Nashville. He purchased the land with $400 in gold donated by the Franklin Female Academy for the purpose of building a church. Thus was begun the St. Philip Catholic . . . — Map (db m83184) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Otho F. Strahl
Commissioned Brigadier to rank from July 28, 1863, this Ohio born “States Righter” commanded one of the “Hardest Hitting Brigades” in The Army of Tennessee. Serving in first Cheatham’s Tennessee Division then with AP Stewart . . . — Map (db m137947) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Our Ancestors
In memory of our ancestors who marched with the Army of the Tenn. CSA 30 Nov. 1864 Presented by Sam Davis Camp 1293 Sons of Confederate Veterans 30 Nov. 1991 — Map (db m137525) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Our Confederate Soldiers
(Front): Erected to Confederate Soldiers by Franklin Chapter No. 14, Daughters of the Confederacy, Nov. 30, A.D. 1899. (Right panel): We, who saw and knew them well, are witnesses to coming ages of their valor and . . . — Map (db m141707) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterian Church was organized in Franklin by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn on June 8, 1811 and first located near City Cemetery. The church moved to this location in 1842. The Reverend A.N. Cunningham was pastor from 1843 to 1857. In 1847, . . . — Map (db m61726) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Rest Haven Cemetery
In 1855, eminent Franklin lawyer John Marshall gave a seven-acre lot for a new cemetery to be located immediately west of the City Cemetery. Early Methodist minister Thomas L. Douglass and numerous Confederate soldiers are buried here. Among the . . . — Map (db m141364) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Retreat Action at Franklin
On Dec 17, 1864, perhaps the largest cavalry engagement on American soil took place along Franklin Pike and the Nashville & Decatur RR sweeping across what is now Harlinsdale farm. Maj Gen James H. Wilson’s US Cavalry Corps pursued Hood’s retreating . . . — Map (db m137256) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Riverview
Built in 1902 by Henry Hunter Mayberry (1861-1931), a native of Williamson County and a man of integrity, broad vision and generosity. He was the developer of Franklin’s water system and gave the only spring large enough to service it. In 1908 he . . . — Map (db m68999) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Samuel Winstead (1778-1851)
(side 1) Samuel Winstead, a native of Virginia, came here in 1799. At his death, his $34,000 estate included several tracts of land and 78 slaves. His will granted freedom and passage to Liberia for all his slaves upon the death of his . . . — Map (db m62197) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 51 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
This "Mother Church of the diocese of Tennessee," was begun in 1831, four years after its congregation was organized in 1827. Here James H Otey, its first rector, was elected the first bishop of Tennessee. It was so damaged through use as a Civil . . . — Map (db m61697) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — St. Philip Catholic Church
(side 1) Missionary priests first celebrated mass in Franklin in 1821 in a private home for the two resident Catholic families. The Nashville bishopric planned a Catholic church in Williamson County as early as 1843, but it was the influx . . . — Map (db m83185) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Standing at the Crossroads 1861
Pre-war Middle Tennessee thrived. Residents free and enslaved grew copious amounts of corn, wheat, timber, cattle, and horses, and no area of the South produced more mules and hog. Toads, rails, and telegraph wires webbed across the center of the . . . — Map (db m103328) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — States Rights Gist
The Tragedy [sic] of Franklin quite possible may have been averted had this scholarly South Carolina Blue Blood been given the promotion to division command that his service record warranted. Completely reorganizing the South Carolina State . . . — Map (db m138048) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee
On a November afternoon in 1864 brave Confederate sons of Tennessee moved forward into battle against Federal lines entrenched two miles north. Winstead Hill served as the place of assembly and was an observation point during the battle. . . . — Map (db m137700) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee Association,Sons of Confederate Soldiers
Side A The association was established at Franklin on Sept. 14, 1892, in conjunction with the annual reunion of the Tennessee Association of Confederate Soldiers which was held in McGavock's Grove 500 yards Southeast of this marker. The . . . — Map (db m77127) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee Valley Divide
The high ground you are on is part of a long ridge that divides central Tennessee. Streams south of the divide flow to the Duck and Tennessee Rivers, while streams to the north empty into the Cumberland River. Travelers in the early days of the . . . — Map (db m136447) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee, A Grave or a Free Home
No words can describe the courage, endurance, and gallantry of the Army of Tennessee. They marched, fought, bled, and died for a Cause they knew was right. On that Indian Summer afternoon of November 30, 1864, the courageous Army of Tennessee . . . — Map (db m135823) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Battle of Franklin
Soon after passing this point, the Southern assault came within range of Federal artillery. Just west of here, an advanced line of 3,000 Union troops began to fall back, and the Confederates pursued them into the main Union line. In moments, the . . . — Map (db m103360) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Battle of FranklinCavalry in the Battle
On the morning of November 30, 1864, some 5,000 Federal cavalrymen under Gen. James H. Wilson were in this area. Most were located to your right front, east of the Harpeth River, but Gen. John T. Croxton’s brigade remained west of the river. By late . . . — Map (db m138467) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmLife on the Farm
Fountain Branch Carter brought nineteen acres of Columbia Pike from Angus McPhail in 1829 and completed his house the next year for himself, his wife Polly, and their children. The farm’s prosperity was directly connected to the four to fifteen . . . — Map (db m138861) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmSlavery
Of the more than 12,000 enslaved people who lived in Williamson County in 1860, Fountain Branch Carter owned 28. Carter family records contain many of their names: Prescyt, Harriet, Jack, Calphurnia, Petrenella, Clara, Charlie, Frank, Susie, Oscar, . . . — Map (db m139024) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter Farm1st Kentucky Light Artillery Battery
You are standing where the 1st Kentucky Light Artillery Battery (US) was posted during the battle, staring down the Confederate advance. The battery was organized in September 1861 under Capt. David Stone and consisted of four three-inch rifled . . . — Map (db m139170) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Columbia Pike
The Columbia Pike began as a path that bison and other animals created en route to the salt lick at present-day Nashville. Native Americans used this and other trails for hunting as well as for travel. In the 19th century, the trails formed the . . . — Map (db m139333) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Federal Line
Gen. Jacob D. Cox’s Division, XXIII Corps, led the Federal army to the outskirts of Franklin before dawn on November 30, 1864. While army commander Gen. John M. Schofield inspected the bridges on the Harpeth River, Cox set up his headquarters behind . . . — Map (db m139441) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Cotton Gin and the Angle
After the Battle of Franklin, veterans on both sides vividly recollected F.B. Carter’s “old cotton gin.” Built early in the 1850s, it figured importantly in countless stories about the heaviest fighting, which unfolded here at the . . . — Map (db m139623) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Federal Counterattack
Just before 4:30 P.M., when the bulk of Confederate Gen. Patrick Cleburne’s Division struck this part of the main Federal line, the 100th Ohio Infantry buckled under the pressure. Although Cleburne had been killed just south of here, his men slammed . . . — Map (db m139624) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Cotton Gin
Southern farming was transformed as the 19th century dawned. Subsistence farming and plantations devoted to tobacco, rice, and sugar cane had long been dominant. Two events changed the agricultural formula. First, Eli Whitney invented the . . . — Map (db m139690) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Tragic End
Here at Franklin in November 1864 when the hopes of 1861 seemed just a fleeting memory, the soldiers of the Army of Tennessee attacked furiously toward you across the rolling fields. A Federal officer who was here saw their “red-and-white . . . — Map (db m139861) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmRebuilding Southern Farms
Emancipation created a novel problem for cash-poor white Southern farmers as well as the newly freed slaves, or freedmen. Land was abundant, but the labor force was largely dispersed, and there was little money to hire available black or white . . . — Map (db m139947) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmThe Breakthrough
Elements of four Confederate divisions rushed toward you on November 30, 1864, to assault the Federal line behind you. Gens. Patrick R. Cleburne, Samuel G. French, John C. Brown, and Edward C. Walthall commanded th3e divisions. Their men hailed from . . . — Map (db m140056) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmDeath of Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne
Just before sundown on November 30, 1864, 3,000 Confederate soldiers charged past here and smashed into the main Federal line fewer than 200 feet ahead of you. They belonged to Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne’s Division, the most battle-hardened unit of . . . — Map (db m140233) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter FarmCockrell’s Missouri Brigade
You are standing in the Confederate line of attack during the battle, where Gen. Francis Marion Cockrell’s 1st Missouri Brigade came under and returned heavy fire. Cockrell, an attorney in Warrensburg, Missouri, before the war, fought at Wilson’s . . . — Map (db m140242) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Carter HouseCenter of Action — Hood's Campaign —
(preface) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hool at Atlanta, Hood let the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the Sea," . . . — Map (db m120387) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Confederate Soldier
Murfreesboro Camp 33 Sons of Confederate Veterans Honors the courage and dedication of the private Confederate soldier — Map (db m138218) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Cotton Gin Assault
Into this area rushed elements of four Confederate divisions on November 30, 1864 as they assaulted the Federal lines near the Carter cotton gin. Crossed largely by troops from Maj. Gen. Patrick Cleburne’s Division, the area was flooded by men . . . — Map (db m137249) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Final Campaign 1864
In late 1864, the last major campaign of the Civil War swept into Middle Tennessee. The Confederate Army of Tennessee commanded by Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood, moved out of Georgia after the fall of Atlanta, marched across Alabama, and pushed north . . . — Map (db m103359) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Long Road to Recovery
The last state to leave the Union, Tennessee became the first to reenter in 1866. But the end of the Civil War did not bring an end to hardships. no other state except Virginia except Virginia experienced more military engagements than Tennessee. . . . — Map (db m103485) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — To The Soldiers Of Floridaat the Battle of Franklin
Front: The Florida soldier for duty’s sake, undaunted, stood to the front of the battle until no light remained to illuminate the field of carnage, save the luster of his chivalry and courage. Finley’s Brigade Col. Robert Bullock . . . — Map (db m137689) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Trinity Church
This United Methodist church was an outgrowth of Mt. Zion Methodist church, established about 1840 in Burke Hollow near the Tom Page house. Mt. Zion was destroyed in 1863 by Union soldiers who used its materials for a signal station on Daddy's Knob. . . . — Map (db m54053) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — U.S. Model 1841 6-Pounder Field Guns/Franklin Public Square During The Battle
U.S. Model 1841 6-Pounder Field Guns In 1908, the U.S. War Dept. loaned the four bronze gun tubes on the Square to Franklin. The N.P. Ames Co. and Cyrus Alger & Co. in Mass. cast the guns between 1847 and 1861. These guns were among the . . . — Map (db m141872) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — U.S.D. 1812
This Monument memorializes War of 1812 soldiers buried along the Old Natchez Trace, and it honors the service of all brave volunteers who marched on the Natchez Trace during the War of 1812 to help establish American Independence. The Natchez . . . — Map (db m83188) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Union HeadquartersPlanning for Battle — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface):In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the . . . — Map (db m83189) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Unknown Civil War Soldier
Front: In 2009, a construction project along Columbia Pike 2.5 miles south of here unearthed human bone fragments, in an area that was part of the Franklin battlefield. Forensic anthropologists determined that these were the remains of a Civil War . . . — Map (db m141485) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Williamson County
Dedicated to the men and women of Williamson County who served their country in time of need October 26, 1799 • October 26, 1999 — Map (db m61731) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Willow Plunge
Opened in 1924, this was the largest outdoor concrete swimming pool in the South. Willow Plunge was owned, and for many years operated, by the Claiborne Kinnard family. Water was piped 1,023 feet from a spring to the willow-shaded double pool which . . . — Map (db m69031) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Winstead HillFateful Decision — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m135822) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Winstead Hill Observation PostBattle of Franklin — Wed. November 30, 1864 —
“The line advanced at 4 p.m. with orders to drive the enemy into or across the Big Harpeth River… Never did troops fight more gallantly.” Gen. John Bell Hood Army of Tennessee Confederate States of America — Map (db m135826) HM WM

160 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement