Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Geauga County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Bainbridge Center Historic District Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
Bainbridge Center Historic District Marker
Ohio (Geauga County), Bainbridge Center — 4-28 — Bainbridge Center Historic District
Founded in 1817, Bainbridge Township was named for Commodore William Bainbridge, commander of the USS Constitution during the War of 1812. The unincorporated hamlet of Bainbridge Center is both the geographic and historic center of Bainbridge . . . — Map (db m122744) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Bainbridge Center — Building History(1822-1982)
Erected in 1822 by 30 of the 200 Bainbridge Township residents as a Methodist Episcopal Church, this building was sold to the township in 1866 and served as a town hall and public meeting place for the next 76 years. During the 1900-1901 school . . . — Map (db m122746) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — Burton
Here was the first telephone station in the state of Ohio in 1877 — Map (db m122780) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 10-28 — Burton Congregational Church
The Burton Congregational Church was organized in 1808 and met in several nearby locations before this present building was erected in 1836 at a cost of $4,000. It was originally located within the park directly opposite where it stands today, but . . . — Map (db m122754) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 9-28 — Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green
Side A In 1796, surveyors for the Connecticut Land Company designated an area five miles square surrounding this place as Range 7, Township 7 of the Connecticut Western Reserve. A landowner's expedition on June 15, 1798, arrived at the . . . — Map (db m122760) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — Civil War Cannon
In 1877, Burton Village merchants purchased this ten-pound Parrott gun from the War Department in Washington, D.C. The cannon is said to have been fired at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, during the Civil War. The inauguration of Rutherford B. . . . — Map (db m122771) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution
Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution buried in Burton, Ohio This tablet was placed by citizens of Burton and dedicated by the Western Reserve Society, Sons of the American Revolution September 12, 1937. Amos Beard . . . — Map (db m122773) WM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger1757-1846
Soldier of the Revolution Pioneer Missionary and Educator of the Western Reserve Founder of the Burton Academy in this village in 1805 Marked on July 24, 1926 — Map (db m122772) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 11-28 — The Burton Village Historic District
Side A In recognition of its noteworthy representation of the history, culture, and architecture of the Western Reserve, Burton Village's Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Historic . . . — Map (db m122778) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — The Hickox Brick
Built in 1838 by Eleazer Hickox who came to Burton in 1804. The frame annex is part of the old home of Thomas Umberfield, the first white settler in this, Geauga County. He arrived here in 1798. — Map (db m122779) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 12-28 — The Second High School / The Burton Public Library
Side A The Second High School This Queen Anne style building with segmental-arched windows and steep hipped roof was Burton's second high school. Completed in 1885 at a cost of $12,500, it is wood framed with a brick and stone . . . — Map (db m122774) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — Under This Penstock Base
Stood the original stone marking the common corners of Lots 35 & 36 and 45 & 46 from which the Village of Burton was surveyed. — Map (db m122776) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Burton — 14-28 — Welton Cemetery
Side A Welton Cemetery was known as Roselawn Cemetery until the early 1900s. Early settlers to the Burton area donated the land. Welton Cemetery is the burial place for veterans of the nation's wars and for several state officials. Judge . . . — Map (db m122782) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Chardon — 14-28 — "Old" Chardon Post Office
Side A Listed on the National register of Historic Places in 1974, this building was the post office from 1940 through 1986. It is an example of the Colonial Revival style common in the 1930s and 1940s. The exterior brick work, large . . . — Map (db m122787) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Chardon — 1-28 — Chardon Business District
Side A Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 . . . — Map (db m122789) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Chardon — 2-28 — Chardon Business District / Geauga County Courthouse
Side A This block of Main Street overlooks the Geauga County Courthouse, which was built in 1869. The courthouse and the Main Street buildings, together which compose a district that has been entered on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m122788) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Chardon — 8-28 — Fowlers Mill Historic District / A.B. Carlson Building
Side A Fowler's Mill Historic District Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) developed around a group of mills built in the 1830s on the Chagrin River. Opportunities from these mills led to Fowlers Mill becoming the commercial . . . — Map (db m122784) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Chardon — 7-28 — Fowlers Mill Historic District / Fowlers Mill
Side A Fowler's Mill Historic District Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) developed around a group of mills built in the 1830s on the Chagrin River. Opportunities from these mills led to Fowlers Mill becoming the commercial . . . — Map (db m122785) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Huntsburg — 14-28 — First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC
Side A The First Congregational Church of Claridon has served the community since it was dedicated in the summer of 1832. Twenty-seven souls from the Burton Congregational Church petitioned to form their own church in Claridon in November . . . — Map (db m122786) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Middlefield — 3-28 — Batavia House
Side A Originally called the James Thompson Inn, named for its builder, the son of Middlefield's first settler, Isaac Thompson, the Batavia House is Middlefield's oldest remaining structure. Built in 1818, the two-story wood frame structure . . . — Map (db m122783) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Newbury — 13-28 — South Newbury Union Chapel
Side A Called the "Cradle of Equal Suffrage" and "Free Speech Chapel," Union Chapel was to be "...open and free for all denominations, but to be monopolized by no one or to the exclusion of anyone." Built in 1858 or 1859 on land donated by . . . — Map (db m122751) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Newbury — This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel
Built by citizens of South Newbury, Ohio on land donated by Anson Mathews in 1856. This chapel was dedicated to Free Speech by James Abram Garfield Twentieth President of the United States Other speakers in this chapel were Susan B. . . . — Map (db m122752) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Thompson — Charles Martin Hall1863-1914
Born in Thompson Ohio As a youth of 22 years he unlocked from natures grasp the modern metal aluminum giving to the nation the countless benefits of the metal and the aluminum industry which his discovery made possible — Map (db m122790) HM
Ohio (Geauga County), Thompson — 6-28 — Thompson Ledges / Thompson Ledges Park
Side A Thompson Ledges Due to what is known as the Sharon Conglomerate or pebbly sandstone, these ledges have played an important role in the daily life of local residents and the economy. The porousness of this rock, which underlies . . . — Map (db m122791) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.