Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Genesee County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Clio Depot Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
Clio Depot Marker
Michigan (Genesee County), Clio — L586 — Clio Depot
In 1862 the Flint Pere Marquette Railroad built its original 26.1-mile section of track from Saginaw to Mount Morris. It selected Clio, originally known as Varna, as a railroad station location. The area around Varna was covered with white pine. The . . . — Map (db m138086) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1834 Clark Dibble Settlement
This is where it all began—the site on which the first settler, Clark Dibble, built a small home and mill dam, naming the town "Dibbleville". — Map (db m94779) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1834-Site of First Log House
1834-Site of first log house (built by Dustin Cheney) 1835-The first Dibbleville child, Harrison Cheney was born on this site. 1851-Ben Birdsall residence 1891-A. J. Phillips residence In memory of Jack R. Winegarden — Map (db m142288) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1837-Riggs Hotel
1837-Riggs Hotel 1900-A.J. Phillips Private Office 1906-A.J. Phillips Library 1987-A.J. Phillips Fenton Museum — Map (db m94732) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1838 Judge Daniel LeRoy's Law Office
Judge LeRoy was the first Attorney General for the State of Michigan. Upper Level 1868-Fenton Independent newspaper 1869-Ladies Literary & Library Association — Map (db m94727) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1840 Grindstone from Fenton Mills
The flouring mill produced 120 barrels of flour a day. It stood on the site where the Fenton City Hall is now. — Map (db m94776) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — 1889 A.J. Phillips Work Office
Initially producing wood products, Mr. Phillips invented the sliding window screen. The demand prompted a huge factory complex covering 12 acres. 1913-The factory was sold to Henry C. Koppin to hand assemble the "Fenton Cyclecar". — Map (db m94737) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — Dibbleville Business District II
"The Andrews Block" built by Clark Andrews in 1867
  1. 1869-Booth & Boutell Books & Watches
  2. 1869-Anderson's Mens Clothes
  3. 1872-Johnson's Crockery & Millinery
  4. 1869-Adams Hardware & Stoves
Map (db m94728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L164 — Fenton House
Constructed soon after the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad reached town in 1855, this hotel has been a favorite resting and dining spot for over a century. It was said in 1883 that the guests were "entertained in a style unsurpassed in many large . . . — Map (db m94761) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L1387 — Fenton United Methodist Church
In March 1837 the Reverend Washington Jackson formed a Methodist congregation in Dibbleville (present-day Fenton) at the home of Levi Warren. Warren donated land and the first church was built in 1853. Its brick walls collapsed during the . . . — Map (db m94759) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L2058 — Old Prospect Hill Cemetery
Many of Fenton’s early developers, politicians, businessmen, and veterans are interred in this cemetery, which was established in 1834. Clark Dibble, who made the first land purchase in present-day Fenton in 1834, and Dustin Cheney, who . . . — Map (db m135751) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L2019 — Saint Jude's Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1858, the Reverend Henry Banwell held Fenton's first Episcopal service for the Ladies Mite Society. The society formally organized as Saint Jude's Episcopal Church on July 18, 1859. In 1860 members built their first church on this site, . . . — Map (db m94716) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — S513 — Applewood Estate
Side 1 In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axle manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axles in Flint. The Mott family and business had moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 . . . — Map (db m142480) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — S513 — Applewood Estate
Side 1 In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axle manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axles in Flint. The Mott family and business had moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 . . . — Map (db m142532) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — FlintCollege and Cultural Center
Creating a cultural core for the city, the Flint College and Cultural Center was established in the 1950s. C. S. Mott donated 36 acres of his land for the complex, which now includes Mott Community College and the University of . . . — Map (db m143624) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Flint Automobile CompanyStarting with A. B. C.
Could it be done here? Hardy was vacationing in Europe when he noticed the advancements being made there in automobiles. Hardy realized the auto's potential in America, but was unable to convince Flint's carriage makers to turn to . . . — Map (db m143768) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Fun and Games
Applewood included special places for recreation, which this competitive and athletic family greatly enjoyed. C.S. Mott often invited colleagues and community leaders over to play tennis, squash, and other games. A former physical education and . . . — Map (db m142700) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — GatehouseApplewood's Staff
This large estate and farm required a staff to maintain it. The Motts employed many people over the years. Some lived on the estate with their families in this gatehouse and elsewhere on the property. The Farmer Lived Here This . . . — Map (db m142557) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — L1678 — Genesee County Courthouse
Genesee County was organized on March 8, 1836. The previous year the territorial legislature had stipulated that the county seat would be located on the west side of the Saginaw Turnpike “on lands recently deeded by John Todd and wife” . . . — Map (db m121216) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Homeon Kearsley Street
Kearsley Street was home to many automotive leaders through the early decades of the 20th Century. The street was lined with their large Victorian homes, like Whaley House you see here. Dallas Dort and Charles Mott built large country . . . — Map (db m143842) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Josiah Dallas DortCommitted to Flint
Josiah Dallas Dort took care of much more than business. Dort was a founding partner of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company and later a president of Dort Motor Car Company. But he was also actively involved in the Flint Institute of Music, the . . . — Map (db m143662) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Renewing an Old Orchard
When C.S. and Ethel Mott bought this property in 1915, there was an old apple orchard here. Fmailiar with apples from his family's cider and vinegar business, C.S. added new plantings of varieties he liked. After moving into their home, the . . . — Map (db m143454) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — L371 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
The Reverend Daniel Brown came to this area in 1839 to help form a new Episcopal parish. He became the first rector of St. Paul's in 1840 when it received canonical sanction. The congregation met in a temporary chapel and then in a small church . . . — Map (db m121202) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Terrace Reconstruction Project
A recent building assessment revealed that Applewood's terrace needed major repairs. Because brick expands and concrete shrinks along with the changes in Michigan's weather, the mortar joints have loosened. This has caused cracking throughout the . . . — Map (db m142797) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — The Demonstration Garden
C.S. Mott established the farm and vegetable garden to be sure his family and guests could enjoy the benefits of healthy and tasty fresh food. As the children grew up and left home, the large vegetable gardens were no longer needed. Years later . . . — Map (db m142637) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — The Heart of the FarmThe Mott Barn
This impressive barn housed Mr. Mott's registered Holstein-Friesian cows, Belgian work horses and pleasure horses. Consistent with his business practices, it was outfitted with progressive equipment and systems for those times. Hay and grain were . . . — Map (db m142567) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — The Rise and Fall of Gilkey Creek
Gilkey Creek flowed through this area long before the Motts bought the surrounding land in 1915 to use as pasture for their cows. It rose and fell with the rainfall but caused few problems in those early years. From Cows to College . . . — Map (db m142701) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — L502 — Whaley House / Robert J. Whaley
Whaley House The central portion of this handsome Victorian home was built in the late 1850s. Several prominent Flint families lived in it before Robert J. Whaley purchased it in 1884. Whaley a local lumberman and banker, remodeled the . . . — Map (db m143776) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Grand Blanc — S715C — The Buick Open
The Buick Open One year after Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club opened in 1957, Waldo McNaught used his unique position as club president and public relations director of the Buick Motor Division of the General Motors Corporation (GM) to . . . — Map (db m135748) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2180 — E. S. Swayze Drugstore
E. S. Swayze opened a drugstore on this site prior to 1870. When the store burned in 1874, Swayze built this one. Members of the Free Methodist Church used the second-floor meeting hall for services from 1887 to 1890. In 1903 Masonic Lodge #401 and . . . — Map (db m33728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2191 — Laing-Mason House
This house was built in stages between the 1860s and the 1930s. In 1889 Dr. John B. Laing and his wife, Harriet, purchased the house. Raised in Vermont, Laing (1846-1908) came to Otisville in 1871 as one of the village's earliest physicians, and . . . — Map (db m33731) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — Otisville High School
The brick monument before you, came from the Otisville High School, built in 1920 and opened in 1921. It was located in town at the corner of Grove St. and Center St. (formerly State Street M-15). It originally housed grades kindergarten through . . . — Map (db m127140) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — The Country School
When you lived in a rural area say before 1950, in most parts of the US, you didn't hop on the school bus and ride miles to your local town school. At first, in the early years your family had horses and a wagon to get around. Then later you had a . . . — Map (db m120860) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020