Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Granite County Montana Historical Markers

 
Close-up of Garnet Mining Area Map on Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, August 8, 2010
Close-up of Garnet Mining Area Map on Marker
Montana (Granite County), Drummond — Madison Limestone and the Garnet Mountains
About 350 million years ago, much of Montana was submerged under a shallow sea. Billions of tiny marine creatures thrived in the water and when they died their bodies settled into the muck on the sea bed. After hundreds of millions of years of . . . — Map (db m71505) HM
Montana (Granite County), Drummond — Rattler Gulch Limestone Cliffs ACEC(Area of Critical Environmental Concern)
The limestone feature (outcrop), located across the road, known as the Madison Limestone Formation, was deposited about 350 million years ago in a shallow sea. It was uplifted about 65 million years ago during the Laramide Orogeny (when the Rocky . . . — Map (db m80318) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — 123 East Broadway
Local rancher Lee Degenhart financed the construction of this building in 1910. Fred Haverty, a contractor from Hal, Montana, who later ran a car dealership here in Philipsburg, was the builder. Design features include the original ornamental leaded . . . — Map (db m45224) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Bi-Metallic Aerial Tramway
The tramway was constructed in 1889 to carry ore from the Blaine Shaft in Granite to the Bi-Metallic Mill in Kirkville, near Philipsburg. The Bi-Metallic aerial tramway was 9750 feet long with a vertical drop of 1225 feet, and was the longest aerial . . . — Map (db m49547) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — C.T. Huffman Grocery
Built circa 1887, Lutey's Grocery and the Barrett and Jacky Harness Shop originally shared occupancy of this one-story commercial building. By the 1890s, Valentine Jacky shared this building with C. T. Huffman who supplied groceries to Philpsburg . . . — Map (db m45226) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Courtney Hotel
Brothers Morris and Humphery Courtney built this multi-purpose building in 1918 with the profits from manganese mining acquired during World War I. The building speaks to the coming of the automobile as the basement housed the Granite County Garage . . . — Map (db m49371) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite County Courthouse
The first permanent home for Granite County offices was completed in 1913. Prominent Montana architects John Link and Charles Haire designed the building. Its cut stonework is, appropriately, made of Montana granite. Granite County commissioners . . . — Map (db m45229) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite County Jail
The Granite County Jail was constructed in 1896, three years after Granite County was carved from two adjacent counties and Philipsburg made the county seat. The town served as a hub to extensive area mining and, later, ranching. The jail was the . . . — Map (db m45228) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite Ghost Town
Granite Mtn. Mine located July 6, 1875 and operated by the Granite Mtn. Company. A rich silver bonanza shoot was discovered in Nov. 1882. The mine closed in 1893 and reopened again in 1911 and 1912 and operated for a brief time. — Map (db m49540) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Granite Mountain Mining Company Office
This two-story building, constructed in about 1885, was one of the first structures in Granite, and housed the brick vault that is seen here. The mining office handled the payroll for the men who worked at the Ruby Shaft and the two mills on the . . . — Map (db m49629) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — J.K. Merrill and Sons Dry Goods
The excellent design and spacious interior of this two-story commercial building represents Philipsburg’s prosperity and substantial population during the 1890s. Constructed for J.K. Merrill and Sons between 1892 and 1894, Freyschlag Huffman and . . . — Map (db m49370) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Jones' Run For Life
In July 1878, a band of Nez Perce Indians returning south from Canada after eluding U.S. Cavalry, crossed what is now Granite County. While passing through they attacked a small mining camp located on a tributary of Rock Creek at McKay Gulch. Three . . . — Map (db m45211) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Kaiser House
Michael Kaiser, founder of Philipsburg Water Company, built this grand hotel in 1881. One of Philipsburg's oldest masonry structures, the original hotel boasted a wrap-around porch extending halfway around the building. Second-story French doors, . . . — Map (db m45218) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Masonic Temple
Meetings in Philipsburg of Flint Creek Lodge No. 11 date back to 1867. This structure, built in 1911, provided a permanent home for the community-oriented fraternal organization. Chambers for lodge meetings occupy the entire top floor. The ground . . . — Map (db m45222) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — McDonald Opera House
Prominent businessman Angus A. McDonald constructed this two-story masonry theater in 1891. A metal-covered stage loft rises above the roof as evidence of the structures historic function. Beneath the south end were dressing rooms for the traveling . . . — Map (db m49373) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Mill A and B
The Granite Mountain Mining Company constructed two mills adjoining the mining operation know[n] as the Ruby Shaft. These structures, Mill A and Mill B, housed a total of 70 stamp mills which processed ore. Stamp mills were used to crush the ore so . . . — Map (db m49631) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Miner's Union Hall
Built in 1890 at a cost of $23,000, this three-story building was once the social center of a bustling mining town. The first floor was constructed of native granite. The cast iron front held 6 large windows and small colored glass panes. The upper . . . — Map (db m49628) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Morse Hall
Colonel J.W. Morse built Morse Hall in 1887. This elaborately detailed public lecture hall also served as county courthouse after 1893, an opera house, town hall, library and general community center. Its splendid second story dance floor was the . . . — Map (db m45213) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Philipsburg
Philipsburg's early-day fortunes ebbed and flowed with mining. Today, its historic district is one of Montana's best preserved late-19th-century mining towns, with commercial, public and private buildings dating from the boom period of silver . . . — Map (db m45209) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Philipsburg Historic District
Philipsburg's early-day fortunes ebbed and flowed with mining. Today, its historic district is one of Montana's best preserved late-19th-century mining towns, with commercial, public and private buildings dating from the boom period of silver . . . — Map (db m45210) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Pizer Building
One of a network of Jewish merchants who supplied miners in the Rocky Mountain West, nineteen-year-old Benjamin Pizer arrived in Helena from Poland with his wife Jessie Silverman and their newborn son David in 1869. With limited capital, he . . . — Map (db m45217) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Ruby Shaft
Most of the ore that brought tremendous riches and fame to Granite was brought out of the Ruby Shaft, operated by the Granite Mountain Mining Company. Several tunnels outside the Ruby Shaft were also important in producing the silver (and some gold) . . . — Map (db m49544) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Sayrs' Building
First known as the Hyde Block, this building was constructed by banker Joseph Hyde and his wife, Mary, in 1888. It housed the First National Bank until the silver crash of 1893. In 1904, Frank Sayrs purchased the building and it has since held a . . . — Map (db m45220) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Superintendent’s House“Silver Queen City”
By 1899, this house stood at the head of Magnolia Avenue, or “Silk Stocking Row,” where the elite of Granite lived. The first floor housed the living quarters for the Superintendent of the Granite Mountain Mining Co. The second floor may . . . — Map (db m49545) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Weinstein Building
Around the mountain from the mining camp of Cable in 1866 came Polish-born merchant William Weinstein with a wagon-load of goods to sell. He became Philipsburg's first general merchant, constructing the eastern half of this building in the late . . . — Map (db m45212) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philipsburg — Wilson Brothers Building
Charles A. and Frank J. Wilson, brothers from Wisconsin, built and established their businesses in this building by 1888. The building originally housed a furniture store on one side, a feed store on the other and a miners' boarding house/living . . . — Map (db m45214) HM
Montana (Granite County), Philpsburg — Walker Commercial Building
Prominent Missoula architect A. J. Gibson designed and built this two-story commercial building in 1905. The fine design includes a metal modillioned cornice and panels with a full height glass storefront and polished granite skirt below. The Walker . . . — Map (db m45223) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.