Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gratiot County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Alma College Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., October 25, 2015
Alma College Marker
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — 181 — Alma College
On October 26, 1886, the Presbyterian Synod of Michigan accepted an offer by Ammi W. Wright of Alma of thirty acres of land, containing two buildings, and a gift of $50,000 from Alexander Folsom of Bay City, for the purpose of establishing Alma . . . — Map (db m91690) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — S0567 — Michigan Masonic Home
In November 1885 the Michigan Masonic Home Association was established to raise funds for a home and health care facility for aged Masons. In 1891 Michigan's first Masonic Home, located on Reed's Lake near Grand Rapids, was opened. When fire . . . — Map (db m91683) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — Site of Folsom Hall1895-1973
When completed in 1895, this building was Alma College's first gymnasium. The physical education facilities were on the second floor and below them were a museum, locker room and classroom which at one time served the College's Kindergarten Training . . . — Map (db m91764) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — Site of Old Main1886-1969
Originally known as the Administration Building, Old Main and an adjacent structure, Pioneer Hall, were actually older than Alma College. Completed early in 1886, the buildings were to constitute the Central Michigan Normal School and Business . . . — Map (db m91763) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Breckenridge — L2214 — Drake House
This house was built in 1907 for Wilkie and Rhoda Waggoner Drake. Upon graduating from medical school in 1902, Wilkie Drake (1875-1963) practiced near Detroit and then came to Breckenridge to begin a career that lasted nearly sixty years. After the . . . — Map (db m106658) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Breckenridge — L1966 — Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road / Saginaw Valley and St. Louis Railroad
Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road In 1867 goods for Gratiot and Isabella Counties were shipped from Detroit to St. Johns, then hauled by teams of horses to outlying settlements. In an effort to lessen the exhorbitant . . . — Map (db m106669) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — 176 — Gratiot County
This county was named for Gen. Charles Gratiot, builder of Fort Gratiot at Port Huron in 1814. A few Chippewas and other Indians lived in the area in 1831 when the county was laid out. A Lutheran Indian mission was set up in 1846 near what is now . . . — Map (db m90001) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L2224 — Henry R. Pattengill

Side 1
Henry R. Pattengill (1852-1918) was Michigan superintendent of public instruction from 1893 to 1897. As a textbook author, an orator and editor of Moderator-Topics, a journal for educators, he shaped Michigan's . . . — Map (db m91669) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — Henry Romain Pattengill1852-1918
Superintendent of Ithaca public schools from 1876 to 1884.

He devoted the best years of his young manhood to the lasting benefit of Gratiot's girls and boys who passed under his instruction.

This monument is erected on the site of the . . . — Map (db m91670) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L1703 — Jackson - Weller HouseBuilt 1881, 1906
Map (db m90511) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Riverdale — L545 — Lumberjack Park

Side 1
In 1926, when George Beck of Ithaca learned that one of the last stands of white pine in Gratiot County was going to be cut, he called on local lumberjacks and rivermen to buy the threatened forty-acre tract and preserve . . . — Map (db m91707) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Joseph Clapp Memorial Park
In 1856 the land now known as the City Park was granted to the city of St. Louis to be used only as a park. On October 23, 1988, the City Council in recognition of this generous contribution does hereby rename this the Joseph Clapp Memorial Park. — Map (db m106751) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Saint Louis
Side 1 Settled 1853 Inc[orporated] as city 1868 Side 2 Geographical center of the lower peninsula of Michigan Dedicated 1880     Rededicated May 25, 1962 — Map (db m106779) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), St. Louis — Sidney S. Hastings
Placed this stone here in 1876 to mark the geographical center of lower Michigan. — Map (db m106778) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.