Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Gregg County Texas Historical Markers

 
Point Pleasant Marker in front of the City Hall of Clarksville City. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
Point Pleasant Marker in front of the City Hall of Clarksville City.
Texas (Gregg County), Clarksville City — 9989 — Point Pleasant
From about 1850 until 1871, a post office, which served the Point Pleasant community, operated near this site. The area was known as Gilead under the first postmaster, L. B. Camp, who earlier had established a ferry crossing the Sabine River (2 mi. . . . — Map (db m139078) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Danville — 18798 — Danville Community
Also known as New Danville, this rural community was established around 1847, and reportedly named by S. Slade Barnett and family in honor of their former hometown of Danville, Kentucky. Located along the intersection of major roadways to Marshall, . . . — Map (db m138890) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Danville — 9963 — Gum Spring Presbyterian Church — (New Danville)
Named for nearby spring with gum log curb; organized Oct. 7, 1850, by the Rev. J. M. Becton. The 1850 roll: Mr. and Mrs. Meshack Barber, S. S. Barnett, Mrs. T. C. Barnett, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Scott, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Sloan, Nancy Sloan, Mr. and Mrs. . . . — Map (db m138892) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 13281 — Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House
Edgar Lathgro Walker of Tennessee wed Nannie E. Lewis, a native of Kentucky, in 1891. The couple later brought their two young daughters, Lena and Alma, to Gladewater to visit E.L.'s brother, William, and they decided to stay. Their third daughter, . . . — Map (db m136256) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 9956 — First Franchised Motor Bus Line in Texas
The W. E. Nunnelee Bus Lines began passenger service from Tyler to Gladewater and Mt. Pleasant in March 1925; later added buses from Tyler to Henderson and Nacogdoches. Twenty-six vehicles were operated over the 205 miles. These included 7-passenger . . . — Map (db m136243) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 13264 — First United Methodist Church of Gladewater
Developed as a railroad town in the 1870s, Gladewater grew slowly but steadily in the first decades of its existence. In 1922, twelve adults and two children led by the Rev. H.T. Perritte of Longview met in Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Godfrey's home to . . . — Map (db m139125) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 9958 — Foshee Family Homestead
Built 1890 on site purchased 1884 by William Emmett and Mary R. Foshee. He was a native of Alabama and she was a member of the pioneer Shepperd family of Upshur County. Eight children were born to this couple.

Lumber for house was sawed at . . . — Map (db m139096) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 9960 — Gladewater
Founded as St. Clair, about 3 miles east. Moved to present site on Glade Creek and T&P Railway, 1872. Population grew from 500 to 7000 after oil was discovered in 1931. It became hub of production and refining operations.

Manufacturing, . . . — Map (db m33490) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M.
On November 15, 1900, twenty master masons, many from Longview Masonic Lodge No. 404, presented a petition to form a separate lodge. On April 19, 1901, Grand Master Nat M. Washer issued the dispensation, and Daniel Washington Wood served as First . . . — Map (db m139119) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 9996 — John Ben Shepperd — (October 19, 1915 - March 8, 1990)
A native of Gladewater, John Ben Shepperd began a law practice in Longview soon after his graduation from the University of Texas Law School in 1941. After service in World War II, he gained prominence as national president of the Jaycees. His . . . — Map (db m139132) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 9993 — Rosedale Cemetery
When John Kettle Armstrong and his wife Sarah bought 160 acres here in 1844, they were among the first settlers. Sarah died in 1856 and Armstrong set aside this tract for a cemetery. Tradition says the Armstrong slaves were interred outside the . . . — Map (db m139092) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Gladewater — 2 — The Gladewater Discovery Well — Snavely #1
On April 7, 1931 this wildcat well drilled by Selby Oil and Gas Co. of Tulsa, OK. came-in at 1000 barrels an hour. Located in the Sabine River bottom a mile south of town, it connected Gladewater to the vast East Texas Oil Field stretching from . . . — Map (db m139134) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9967 — "Oil City of the World" Kilgore
Founded 1872 with coming of the I.G.N. Railroad. Named for site donor, a Confederate colonel, Constantine B. Kilgore, State Senator and U. S. Congressman.

Geographical center of huge East Texas oil field. World's greatest concentration of . . . — Map (db m138956) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — Before 1937 Drilling Began — The World's Richest Acre - Kilgore, Texas
Commerce Street is jammed with boomers during the thirties. Businesses on this site included a hospital bank, dry goods and drug stores. All buildings along Commerce Street between North and Main Streets were razed.

(Photo faces . . . — Map (db m139652) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — Drilling Completed, 1940 — The World's Richest Acre - Kilgore, Texas
Derricks topped 1,100 producing wells within Kilgore's city limits. At the back door of these businesses that face Kilgore Street, the photo shows 24 that stood in the world's richest acre – the greatest concentration of drilled wells in the . . . — Map (db m139588) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — During Drilling — The World's Richest Acre - Kilgore, Texas
This photo shows all buildings except Kilgore National Bank (which was the last to go) torn down to make way for the derricks. Remnants of flooring from the building behind the bank can be seen under the pumping unit.

(Photo faces . . . — Map (db m139651) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9954 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1850 as Gum Spring Presbyterian Church in the rural Danville community, this congregation moved to Kilgore in 1874 and later changed its name to First Presbyterian Church. Built as a result of the 1930s oil boom, this sanctuary replaced . . . — Map (db m138905) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 18773 — Kilgore Colored and C. B. Dansby Schools
Formal education of Kilgore’s African American youth is recorded as early as 1873 through Kilgore Baptist church. On August 27, 1906, Kilgore residents voted to incorporate the Kilgore Independent School District (KISD), which included segregated . . . — Map (db m139140) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9970 — Kilgore High School
Public education in Kilgore traces its history to classes held in private homes and the establishment of private institutions, most notably the Alexander Institute. Operated by Isaac Alexander, the school moved to Kilgore in 1873. It continued to . . . — Map (db m138964) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9971 — Kilgore National Bank Building
Led in the town's economic development following the 1930s oil boom. Prosperity in the midst of the Great Depression influenced the board of directors to build this structure in 1937. Designed by Henderson architect James L. Downing, who used art . . . — Map (db m138970) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9940 — Lou Della Crim Home
This bungalow style residence was constructed in 1920 for Lou Della (Thompson) Crim (b. 1868), on the former site of the Hearne Hotel. The farm she owned at Laird Hill (4 mi. S) was part of an oil exploration project headed by her son Malcolm, later . . . — Map (db m138967) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 13856 — Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
At the close of the Civil War, local African Americans, newly freed from slavery, formed the Mt. Pleasant Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. The Rev. M.F. Jamison served as the first pastor for the group, which was part of the East Texas Annual . . . — Map (db m139138) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — Removal — The World's Richest Acre - Kilgore, Texas
The invention of mobile workover rigs made standing derricks obsolete. Photographed in 1969 only one well was not cleared. Kilgore Historical Preservation Foundation was founded in 1987 to restore the famous skyline. Today, 12 reconstructed derricks . . . — Map (db m139589) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9930 — Site of Alexander Institute
Before the establishment of public schools, education was provided by small private academies such as the Alexander Institute. a successor to the New Danville Masonic Female Academy, founded in nearby Danville in 1854. The institute was named for . . . — Map (db m138971) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 9969 — The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station
The town of Kilgore was platted by the International Railroad Company after it purchased land for a townsite from C. B. "Buck" Kilgore, who had donated a 200-foot railroad right-of-way in 1871. Kilgore, a resident of Danville (4 mi. E), recognizing . . . — Map (db m138965) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Kilgore — 10007 — World's Richest Acre
Part of fabulous East Texas oil field discovered in 1930. This 1.195-acre tract had first production on June 17, 1937, when the Mrs. Bess Johnson-Adams & Hale No. 1 well was brought in. Developed before well-spacing rules, this block is the . . . — Map (db m96134) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Liberty City — 9975 — Liberty City
Historic rural community in oil-rich Gregg County. Settled before Civil War. Has also been known as Sabine, Mount Moriah, McCary's Chapel, Goforth and Hog Eye (for an early settler with an "eye" for hogs). Present name adopted in early days of . . . — Map (db m139144) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — "Dolly" — Longview's First Fire Engine — 1890s
To serve the growing population (2,034 residents by 1900), a volunteer fire department was organized in 1855. Like many other volunteer fire departments of that era, it was a hobby and social club for young civic leaders. The department was based . . . — Map (db m89193) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — A City That Grows — 1940s
Longview News-Journal Publisher Carl Estes successfully led a civic effort to bring R.G. LeTourneau's excavator manufacturing company here. An ardent lay evangelist, LeTourneau also established a technical institute on the site of the former Harmon . . . — Map (db m89267) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — A New County is Born — 1873
In January 1873, Upshur County Representative B.W. Brown (a Methodist lay preacher) introduced a bill in the Texas Legislature to make Longview the seat of a new county to be composed of portions of existing Upshur, Rusk and Harrison counties. The . . . — Map (db m89156) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — A Railroad Boom Town Settles Down — 1870s
  Like the oil boom 60 years later, the railroad boom of the 1870s was a rowdy, colorful period that resulted in lasting improvements. Longview consisted of about 60 hastily built frame buildings near Center and Tyler Streets. Almost half of the . . . — Map (db m89186) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Banking — The Final Ingredient — 1872
  Along with the abundance of natural resources, the growth of commercial agriculture and the distribution capability of the railroad, the establishment of banking supplied the final ingredient needed to solidify the development of Longview's . . . — Map (db m89067) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9934 — Big Inch Pipeline
  Before the United States entry into World War II following the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941, ninety-five percent of the crude oil delivered to East Coast refineries was transported by tanker ships. Ninety percent of that oil . . . — Map (db m89033) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Completing a Century of Development — 1970
The decade of the 1970s saw complete integration of the Longview Independent School District. For the first time, African-Americans were elected to the Gregg County Commissioners Court, City Council and School Board. In May 1970, Longview celebrated . . . — Map (db m89277) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9942 — Dalton Gang's Last Raid
May 23, 1894–A bloody day in early Longview. Bill Dalton, leader of armed gang presented a note for money at First National Bank. A gunfight erupted when Sheriff Jack Howard, City Marshall Mat Muckleroy and citizens resisted. Three local men-- . . . — Map (db m89022) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9944 — Delta Drilling Company
In response to the East Texas oil boom, Delta Drilling Company was founded in 1931 by Bob Stacy, Sam Dorfman, and Joseph Zeppa. Originally housed in an apartment at this site, the firm moved to Tyler in 1937. Delta drilled many of the oil wells that . . . — Map (db m89020) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9948 — Everett Building
Built in 1910 to house the Citizens National Bank, this structure is the only example of classical revival commercial architecture in Longview. Designed by noted architect and educator Samuel J. Blocker, the Everett Building was constructed by . . . — Map (db m89023) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — First Came the Railroad — 1870
The original site of Longview lay on the western outskirts of Earpville, a pioneer Upshur County community along the old Marshall-Tyle Road (today known as U.S. Highway 80). Founded around 1850 by James Earp, (pronounced "Arpville") consisted of . . . — Map (db m89150) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! — 1930s
Black gold! Suddenly, the Great Depression was forgotten with the late 1930 discovery of the East Texas Oil Field, biggest in the world. Trapped in a layer of porous sandstone called the Woodbine formation 3,600 feet below the surface, the field was . . . — Map (db m89263) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9955 — First Presbyterian Church of Longview
This church was established by nine resident members of the Old School Southern Presbyterian Church as a mission in the new town of Longview in 1872. The first church building was erected on land donated by the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1874. . . . — Map (db m138925) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — From Subsistence to Cash Crops — 1870
  The early settlers farmed only to meet their family needs. Any produce left over was used to pay the doctor, the blacksmith or barter for the necessities of life.   Corn was indispensable, meeting a multitude of needs for both family and . . . — Map (db m89066) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — General John Gregg / Texas Secession Convention — 1828-1864
General John Gregg Born Alabama. Came to Texas 1854. Judge, Confederate congressman. Organized 7th Texas Infantry as colonel 1861. Captured at Fort Donelson, Tenn. 1862. Promoted brigadier general after exchange. Commanded brigade . . . — Map (db m45100) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Industry Accelerates Economic Growth — 1950s
The area's industrial development was greatly enhanced in 1950 when the Texas Eastman petrochemical plant located near Longview. What originally was intended as a small butyraldehyde plant became the city's biggest employer and the second largest . . . — Map (db m89272) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 17735 — Johnny Cace's Seafood and Steak House
  This east Texas landmark established by John "Johnny" Cace, Jr. has served the area since 1949. Johnny was the son of a Yugoslav immigrant who grew up on the island village of Prvic Luka and spent his childhood fishing and boating in the . . . — Map (db m89031) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Kelly Plow Company — 1882
  When George Addison Kelly came to East Texas in 1852 at the age of twenty, he saw possibilities in the manufacture and sale of cowbells to supply wagoners and traders. Resolving to make the bells resonance better, he made a journey to . . . — Map (db m89064) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — King Cotton — 1870
  At one time, nearly all the cotton crops in the state of Texas were grown in east Texas. As with most of the south, cotton played a major role in the Longview economy.   The emergence of "King Cotton" as a marketable cash crop, coupled . . . — Map (db m89013) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Longview Becomes the Hub for Railroad Expansion — 1872
By 1872, Longview received nationwide attention by serving as temporary head of the nation's Southern rail line. Business, population and construction were stimulated by wagon traffic from a large area since Longview provided the closest rail . . . — Map (db m89154) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Longview Charters First Industry in Texas — 1900s
The Kelly Plow Works was reportedly the only non-sawmill industry in the county other than an ice factory. The Kelly plant, supposedly the first chartered industry in Texas, had relocated to Longview from Marion County in 1882. Kelly became well . . . — Map (db m89246) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Longview Expands Its Influence — 1960s
The last decade of Longview's first hundred years was a time of historic and fundamental change. In 1962, the "slant hole" scandal brought unfavorable national attention to the East Texas Oil Field. (This illegal process actually pioneered . . . — Map (db m89276) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9980 — Longview Junction
This community originated in the 1870s with the junction of the Texas & Pacific and International & Great Northern Railroad tracks. Churches, residences, hotels, restaurants, businesses, boardinghouses, and schools developed in the area to . . . — Map (db m138911) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 12759 — Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station
The city of Longview was incorporated in 1871, and there is evidence of a volunteer fire department as early as 1887. A new city hall complex with fire station was constructed in 1905, but the 1930s East Texas oil boom and subsequent population . . . — Map (db m89006) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 17982 — Longview Train Depot
With railroad expansion headed west, O.H. Methvin deeded 150 acres to Southern Pacific Railroad in 1870. In 1871, Longview became the westward terminus of the railroad. Construction of a railroad line between Longview and Palestine began in 1872 by . . . — Map (db m138915) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9981 — O. H. Methvin, Sr. — Founder of Longview
About 1848, O. H. Methvin (1815-1882) and his father Richard came to Texas from Georgia. O. H. Methvin bought about 1,200 acres in East Texas, including this site, which was his cornfield. He built a home on nearby Rock Hill for . . . — Map (db m88853) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9959 — Old Fredonia Townsite
The community of Fredonia was founded by Haden Edwards, a land grantee who contracted in 1825 with the Mexican government to establish 800 families of settlers in East Texas. A later misunderstanding with Mexico caused him to organize the famous . . . — Map (db m89035) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Rails, Timber and Cotton Bring Growth — 1870s
What eventually became the Santa Fe line running south from Longview Junction was begun in 1877 by the locally capitalized Longview and Sabine Valley Railroad Company. As railroads opened virgin forests to harvest, 20 steam-powered sawmills were . . . — Map (db m89188) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 14907 — Site of James S. Hogg Newspaper
Texas' first native governor (1891-1895), James Stephen Hogg, founded here in 1871 his first newspaper, the Longview "News". He was then 20 years old.

In his paper Hogg was a strong supporter of educational and governmental improvements for . . . — Map (db m138920) HM

Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Technology Brings Modern Conveniences — 1900s
Longview was led into the 20th Century by Mayor Gabriel Augustus Bodenheim (1873-1957), known affectionately as "Bodie." Serving as mayor 1904-1916 and 1918-1920, Bodenheim oversaw Longview's first municipal water works, sanitary sewer system . . . — Map (db m89241) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 9941 — The Courthouses of Gregg County
  Gregg County was formed in 1873, and Longview was chosen as county seat. The first temporary courthouse was a small building at the corner of Fredonia and Tyler streets. It soon proved inadequate, however, and another temporary courthouse was . . . — Map (db m89019) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — The End of the Beginning — 1920s
By 1920, Longview boasted 9 1/2 miles of paved streets, concrete sidewalks, electric street lights, municipal garbage collection and a paid fire department with the state's first two pumping trucks. In 1920, the Longview Rotary Club was organized as . . . — Map (db m89262) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — The Fabulous Fifties — 1950s
The end of World War II ushered in a long period of national prosperity, and Longview thrived thanks to the East Texas Oil Field and associated natural gas. Construction in Longview during the 1950s rivaled or exceeded that of the 1930s. Major . . . — Map (db m89275) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — The Good Old Days — 1880s
Greater Longview developed around two focal points, each based on a separate depot on the Texas & Pacific track. The downtown depot was on the west side of Fredonia Street while the Junction depot was near the site of the original International . . . — Map (db m89192) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — The Oil Boom Brings Renewal — 1930s
Thanks to discovery of the East Texas Oil Field, Longview's population nearly tripled during the next decade, to 13,758 by 1940. While the rest of the nation suffered during the Great Depression. Longview's citizens, businesses and industry, schools . . . — Map (db m89264) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — The Railroad Transforms a Pioneer Community — 1871
Sale of lots began in September 1870, with the Southern Pacific buying another 50 acres from O.H. Methvin to extend its town site further west. To attract investors and to speed development, streets were given a metropolitan width of 100 feet. The . . . — Map (db m89153) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Then Came the Railroad — 1870
  On April 7, 1870, O.H. Methvin deeded one hundred acres of farmland to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The uptown depot was constructed immediately north of the rail track on Fredonia Street.   In 1872, the Texas & Pacific took over the . . . — Map (db m89171) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Timber – The First Industry — 1870
  The abundance of natural resources, coupled with the distribution capabilities of the railroad, beginning in 1870, gave rise to the area's first industry – timber, By 1877, there were 20 steam – powered sawmills in Gregg County, . . . — Map (db m89015) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys — 1910s
Although J. Garland Pegues had established the City Garage (later Pegues-Hurst Ford), all roads leading in and out of Longview remained dirt wagon tracks. Railroads continued to be the city's lifeline. In 1910, there were 18 daily passenger trains. . . . — Map (db m89260) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — When Mule Power Moved People — 1883
  In 1883, seven prominent Longview residents chartered the Longview & Junction Railway Company. For nearly thirty years, it operated a mule-drawn trolley that ran between the Junction Depot located at the intersection of Methvin and Sixth . . . — Map (db m89168) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — World War II & Its Aftermath — 1940s
During World War II, served as gathering point for the "Big Inch" pipeline. Two feet in diameter — the largest pipe yet constructed—the "Big Inch" line carried crude oil to Pennsylvania. From there, branches led to East Coast . . . — Map (db m89265) HM
Texas (Gregg County), White Oak — 9939 — Cherokee Trace
In 1821 near this site, Cherokee Indians blazed a trail from near Nacogdoches, Texas, to their home reservation at White River, Ark. They slashed trees, cleared path, planted "Cherokee" roses, and established camps at springs.

Used by Sam . . . — Map (db m139093) HM

Texas (Gregg County), White Oak — 11920 — White Oak Baptist Church
Formally organized in 1910, White Oak Baptist Church traces its history to an earlier congregation founded in the sawmill town in 1889. Pastor Robert Marsh led the congregation in 1910. Three years later, M. C. and Ada (Dickinson) Satterwhite joined . . . — Map (db m139095) HM
Texas (Gregg County), White Oak — 11921 — White Oak Independent School District
The small community of White Oak grew up around a one-room school built in the 1880s. After the first school building burned in 1885, local families worked to erect a new one-room school, which also was used for religious services. By 1912 it was . . . — Map (db m139094) HM

71 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020