Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gwinnett County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Karina Miller Nature Preserve Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, February 19, 2018
Karina Miller Nature Preserve Marker
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Karina Miller Nature Preserve
The preserve was dedicated by Gwinnett County in 2005 on land purchased from the Miller family. The preserve includes 200 acres of land to remain undisturbed for future generations. It contains a variety of wildlife including mammals, birds, . . . — Map (db m114324) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Little Mulberry Park
History of the Park Land The land for Little Mulberry Park was purchased by Gwinnett County in three parcels from 1998 to 2001. The park officially opened in 2004. The property includes 890 acres of diverse landscape including two man-made . . . — Map (db m114326) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Old Oak Tree
Old Oak Tree This forest was once a pasture. This White Oak (Quercus alba) is over 100 years old and provides evidence that it occupied the edge of a formerly cleared pasture area. The other clue is the occasional piece of barbed . . . — Map (db m114330) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Auburn — Stone Structures
Stone Structures These stone structures range from neatly stacked cubic assemblies to scattered piles of rock (that appear to formerly have been neatly stacked). Some are stacked five to six feet tall. There are hundreds of these mounds . . . — Map (db m114344) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Buford — Chesser-Williams House
One of the oldest surviving homes in Gwinnett County, this house was built in the 1850s. The house was originally two rooms wide and one room deep. This style is referred to as an I-house. The house is unique because of the beautiful, hand painted . . . — Map (db m107606) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — 067-7 — Elisha Winn House
This house was built by Elisha Winn around 1812. In 1818, the Georgia General Assembly created Gwinnett County from Cherokee and Creek cessions and part of Jackson County. The first Gwinnett elections and sessions of the Inferior Court were held in . . . — Map (db m16937) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — GM67-5 — Fort Daniel
Fort Daniel was completed in 1813 to protect the frontier from Indians aroused by the British during the War of 1812. Presumably named for General Allen Daniel, the fort was garrisoned by the 25th Regiment of Georgia Militia. To further protect the . . . — Map (db m26485) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers
In honor of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers “Pioneers of Recorded Traditional Stringband Music” Gid Tanner lived in Dacula from 1922-1960, recording from March 1924 until March 1934. The group’s “Million Seller” . . . — Map (db m112329) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — Hog Mountain Baptist ChurchOrganized January 14, 1854
Eleven charter members first met near what was known as the Hog Mountain House eight miles N.E. of Lawrenceville to organize the church. The church was organized by Elder David H. Moncrief and Elder Amos Hadaway. The first building was erected in . . . — Map (db m19075) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Dacula — The Dr. William Hinton House
The Homeplace of W. T. “Dr. Will” Hinton Built 1905 - Relocated 2007 — Map (db m112545) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — 67-1 — Home of Alice Harrell Strickland - Georgia's First Woman Mayor
Alice Harrell Strickland (1859-1947) and her husband Henry built this home in 1898. The Stricklands raised seven children before Henry’s death in 1917. Mrs. Strickland then became a community leader. With her service as Mayor of Duluth in 1922-23, . . . — Map (db m21583) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Passenger Coach No. 3780
This all-steel passenger coach was built for the Southern Railway System by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1924. It has a seating capacity of 72. Withdrawn from service in 1959 for presentation by the Southern Railway System to this rail . . . — Map (db m113842) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — 067-2A — Peachtree Road
At Fort Daniel on Hog Mountain, about 12 miles NE, began the original Peachtree Road to the village of Standing Peachtree on the Chattahoochee River. This old road was opened to haul military supplies to the river. These were to be floated . . . — Map (db m21577) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Spreader #JX635
Built: 1926 Builder: O.F. Jordan Company Built For: MacDougald Construction Co. Class: Knuckle Brace Weight: 85,000 lbs The Spreader was a railroad car designed to spread or shape ballast profiles as well as clear snow in winter. The . . . — Map (db m113897) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — Steam Locomotion at High Tide!
Steam Locomotion at High Tide! "Born of a railroad, Atlanta grew as its railroads grew." Margaret Mitchell in "Gone With The Wind." In March 1926, the 290, a Pacific type 4-6-2 steam passenger engine, was delivered to the Atlanta and . . . — Map (db m113844) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Duluth — The History of the Miniature Train CompanyThe Southeastern Railway Museum
Many of us can fondly recall the small train sets that operated at fairs, zoos, parks and yes, even the occasional drive in theater. Trains such as this reached their peak popularity during the 1950s & 1960s. Several years ago, two such part . . . — Map (db m70643) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — US 29 F-5 — Birthplace of Bill Arp
The beloved Charles Henry Smith, was born here June 15, 1826. He married Mary Hutchins of Lawrenceville in 1849; began his law practice and moved to Rome in 1851. Major, Confederate Army. His Nom de plume, “Bill Arp,” was first used in . . . — Map (db m14085) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-1 — Button Gwinnett
Button Gwinnett, for whom this county was named, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, the son of a Church of England minister. He worked in the store of his father-in-law in Dexter for two years, then as an importer and exporter for three . . . — Map (db m84791) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia1861-1865 — Lest We Forget
In remembrance of the citizens of Gwinnett County who honorably served the Confederate States of America "Any people with contempt for their heritage have lost faith in themselves and no nation can long survive without . . . — Map (db m85724) WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Freeman's Mill
Freeman's MillWelcome to Freeman's Mill, the last operating gristmill in Gwinnett County. From the late 1860s to 1986, Freeman's Mill provided wheat flour, corn meal and feed meal for the county's residents and their animals. Its pond afforded . . . — Map (db m114273) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-2B — Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the . . . — Map (db m84574) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-4 — Gwinnett County
Created in 1818 from Cherokee and Creek cessions, Gwinnett is an original county. Courts, elections, and sheriff sales were held, first, in the home of Elisha Winn, 1 mile east of the Appalachee River. Selected to buy a permanent site for the county . . . — Map (db m16916) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — In Tribute to Ezzard CharlesHeavyweight Boxing Champion of the World — 1949-1951
Native son of Lawrenceville, Ga. July 7, 1921 May 28, 1975 Gentleman Sportsman Champion — Map (db m85722) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-6 — Lawrenceville Female Seminary
The first building erected on this property was completed July 31, 1838 to house the Lawrenceville Female Seminary. The Reverend John S. Wilson was elected first president of the Board of Trustees. The Seminary commenced operations on September 24, . . . — Map (db m23490) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Memorial to the Fallen of 1836
In memory of Gwinnett Company of Mounted Volunteers, under the command of Capt. Hammond Garmany who were slain by Creek Indians 9 June 1836 in a Battle at Shepherd's Plantation in Stewart County: Ens. Isaac Lacy Sgt. James E. . . . — Map (db m85721) HM WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 001 — Richard Dickinson Winn
Side 1: Richard Dickinson Winn, a son of Elisha and Judith Cochran Winn, was born January 14, 1816. Gwinnett’s first county elections and court sessions were held at his childhood home near Hog Mountain. Winn served as a Justice of the . . . — Map (db m23541) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — The Home of Major William E. Simmons
William E. Simmons, one of Gwinnett County’s foremost citizens, was born in Lawrenceville on August 26, 1839. After graduating at the top of his class from Emory College, he assumed editorship of the Lawrenceville News. In 1861, he became an officer . . . — Map (db m16958) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Watering Trough 1873
The First Courthouse Was Built On This Site Between 1823 And 1824 And There Was A Well On The Southwest Corner. People Came By Horse And Buggy To The Courthouse To Conduct Business And So A Wooden Watering Trough For Horses Was Provided . . . — Map (db m85719) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — "Holy Row"
Sunset Drive, originally known as Church Street, and later “Holy Row” has a long and storied past. On November 5, 1875 Norman Flavius Cooledge, an educator, bought the parcel of land (currently the site of the Summerour House) on the . . . — Map (db m44073) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Brunswick HotelCirca 1870
On this site in 1870, the Brunswick Hotel was constructed. The Hotel was three stories high with wide porches on the first two stories. It had 29 rooms and a restaurant. The Hotel was a destination spot for vacationing Atlantans wanting to escape . . . — Map (db m14091) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Historic Baptist ChurchCirca 1884
On May 17, 1872, seventeen people convened in the Community House on Church Street or “Holy Row,” now called Sunset Drive, in the fledgling town of Norcross. During the meeting, this inspired group organized The Baptist Church of Christ . . . — Map (db m16961) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross
The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance has been recognized by the U. S. Department of the Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on . . . — Map (db m35039) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899
Originally chartered in 1833 by the Fairview Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, the church was originally located at the intersection of Beaver Ruin Road and Hopkins Mill Road on land donated by Thomas H. Jones and was known as the Goshen . . . — Map (db m23285) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Norcross — Thrasher ParkNamed for the Founder of Norcross
Norcross was chartered in 1870 through its founder, J.J. "Cousin John" Thrasher, and named for his good friend, Jonathon Norcross, the fourth mayor (1851) of Atlanta. "Cousin John" purchased tracts of land which he subdivided and sold as lots along . . . — Map (db m12880) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Suwanee — Aviation Tragedy
In the evening hours of December 6, 1953 four F-84D jet aircraft of 128th Fighter Bomber Squadron of the Georgia Air National Guard crashed near this site. They were returning from a routine weekend training flight from the Miami area when they . . . — Map (db m9598) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Suwanee — Suwanee, Georgia 9/11 Memorial
Remembrance Our world can be reshaped in a single day. September 11, 2001 was such a day. This memorial includes a stainless steel sculpture depicting an aerial view of Lower Manhattan, historic timeline of the day's events, and a . . . — Map (db m85735) HM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.