Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hamilton County Texas Historical Markers

 
Hamilton County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney, July 27, 2018
Hamilton County Marker
Texas (Hamilton County), Hamilton — 2346 — Hamilton County
Created February 2, 1842 from Montgomery and Houston counties Recreated January 22, 1858 Organized August 2, 1858 Named in honor of General James Hamilton, 1786-1857 Lawyer and Governor of South Carolina Appointed diplomatic agent to . . . — Map (db m120949) HM
Texas (Hamilton County), Hamilton — 2349 — Hamilton County, C.S.A.
Created and organized in 1858. By 1860 had 489 people in 78 families from 15 states. Vote in 1861 was 86-1 in favor of secession. 60 farmers were organized as Hamilton County Minutemen, a unit of part-time soldiers. Others joined Confederate . . . — Map (db m71706) HM
Texas (Hamilton County), Hamilton — 4113 — Presbyterian Church
Organized Sept. 5, 1880, by Rev. John A. McMurray, evangelist of Central Texas Presbytery. Its building of early 1880s was first frame church erected in Hamilton; used by other faiths on Sunday evenings for years. Charter members . . . — Map (db m70657) HM
Texas (Hamilton County), Hico — 12899 — First United Methodist Church of Hico
In 1881, the Rev. John W. Hearn and Elder L.B. Hickman led 29 members in a newly organized Methodist church in Hico. The congregation held its early services in the Hico schoolhouse, and charter members included the L.T. Dillashaw, J.B. Hillyer, . . . — Map (db m121023) HM
Texas (Hamilton County), Hico — Old Hico
This site on Honey Creek marks the beginning in 1856 of the settlement of Hico. Earliest families to locate here J. G. Barbee, James R. and Henry Fuller, Isaac Steen, Isaac and Thomas Malone. In 1860 John R. Alford, a merchant, became the first . . . — Map (db m120953) HM
Texas (Hamilton County), Hico — 9411 — United Methodist Church of Fairy
First church organized in Fairy. Chartered as "Martin's Gap Methodist Mission" on July 3, 1886, under the Rev. J. S. Moore. Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Steward, Lee Anderson, and Mesdames Hattie Chenault, G. . . . — Map (db m89613) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.