Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hancock County Ohio Historical Markers

 
The Arcadia Heritage Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 19, 2016
The Arcadia Heritage Marker
Ohio (Hancock County), Arcadia — 13- 32 — Village of Arcadia /The Arcadia Heritage
Village of Arcadia side A Settled in 1833, Arcadia was one of the last permanent villages to be established in eastern Hancock County. Pioneers Ambrose, David, and Ephriam Peters laid out the farming village on the south edge of "Wild Cat . . . — Map (db m94706) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Arlington — 11- 32 — Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage
Village of Arlington First a farming community, later a railroad crossroads in southern Hancock County, Arlington was one of the county's earliest settlements. Gen. William Hull opened a trail into the area during the War of 1812 as he . . . — Map (db m93715) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Congressional Medal of Honor RecipientsState of Ohio, Hancock County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Hancock County Civil War Bensinger, William Captain Georgia 1862 Porter, John R. 1st Lt. Georgia 1862 Scott, John M. Sergeant Georgia 1862 Vance, . . . — Map (db m29178) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 9-32 — Findlay College
Side A: Findlay College was a joint venture of the Churches of God, General Conference, and the Village of Findlay. It was chartered on January 28, 1882, to provide a liberal arts education within a Christian context for all -- regardless . . . — Map (db m29182) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — First School Building
Site of First School Building in Findlay 1827 [Dedicated June 1937] — Map (db m29197) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 5-32 — Hancock County Courthouse
Side A: Hancock County was organized March, 1828, court being held in a log schoolhouse. In 1833, a frame courthouse was built. It served until 1840, when a brick structure went up on this site. During the oil and gas boom of the 1880's, the . . . — Map (db m29175) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Hancock County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women of Hancock County who served their country Lest We Forget — Map (db m29177) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Hull's Army
Here Hull's Army Crossed the Blanchard River June 1812 On way to Detroit — Map (db m29568) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Hull's Trail
Hull's Trail 1812 Erected By Fort Findlay Chapter D.A.R. 1915 — Map (db m22441) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 19-32 — Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead
Indian Green This area of western Hancock County is a part of the Maumee River Watershed known as "Indian Green." Wyandot Indians chose this area for hunting and ceremonial grounds along the Blanchard River in the 1700s because it was next to . . . — Map (db m93378) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 22-32 — Mason Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Side A: In spite of small numbers and being welcomed by the mostly white congregation of First Methodist Episcopal Church, African Americans in Findlay in the 1880s wanted to express their faith in ways that best reflected their freedoms and . . . — Map (db m29179) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 16- 32 — Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds
Oesterlen Well Site The site of the natural gas well generally credited with the beginning of the "Gas Boom" in Hancock County is approximately 300 feet west of this marker. German physician, Dr. Charles Oesterlen drilled the well on his . . . — Map (db m75156) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979
This building selected as an outstanding new building in the downtown area 1978 - 1979 — Map (db m29194) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986
This building selected as an outstanding renovated building in the downtown area 1980 - 1986 — Map (db m29195) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 15-32 — Riverside Park / Old Mill Stream
[West Side of Marker] : "Riverside Park" One of the earliest and largest amusement parks in Northwest Ohio dedicated in 1906 on site of old waterworks. Trains brought visitors from as far away as Cleveland. 1907: Dance Pavilion and . . . — Map (db m29569) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 4-32 — Site of Fort Findlay
[Marker Front]: Early in the War of 1812, Gen. Wm. Hull, commander of Ohio troops, ordered Col.. James Findlay to open a road from Ft. McArthur on the Scioto River to Blanchard’s Fork. Under Findlay, a stockade 50 yards square, with a . . . — Map (db m21576) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 21-32 — The Glass Industry of Findlay, Ohio
In 1884, the first natural gas well was successfully drilled in Findlay, and when The Great Karg Well, then the largest in the world, was drilled in 1886, the boom was on. Many industries, especially glass, were attracted to Findlay, lured by free . . . — Map (db m29174) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — The Great Karg Gas Well January 20 1886
The great Karg gas well January 20 1886 This marker is erected in humble pride by the people of Findlay Ohio June 21 1937 — Map (db m79306) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 14-32 — The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era
Side A: The Ohio Oil Company-Marathon Oil Company Site of the first Findlay Field Office for what was to become a world-wide oil company, formerly locally owned and operated. 1887: The Ohio Oil Company was incorporated by five independent . . . — Map (db m29180) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — 20-32 — The Underground Railroad in Hancock County
Side A: The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 prompted an expansion of the "Underground Railroad," and as the state spanning the shortest distance between the Ohio River and Canada, Ohio saw heavy traffic in escaping slaves in the decades before . . . — Map (db m29176) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — The University of Findlay
The University of Findlay was founded as Findlay College in 1882 by the Churches of God, General Conference and the City of Findlay Old Main opened on September 1, 1886, for the first classes. 125th Anniversary The University . . . — Map (db m29200) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Veterans Memorial Flagpole
Remember and honor the many sacrifices that have been made to defend the freedoms that form the foundations of our country. Veterans Service Commission Norman Willier Roger Neff Larry Kitchen Russell Essinger George Lehman March 7, . . . — Map (db m30452) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — McComb
Home of William Bensinger and John R. Porter among first winners of Medal of Honor in the Civil War. — Map (db m108891) WM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 19-32 — McComb First Presbyterian ChurchBuilt 1855-56
(side a) Organization of the congregation began in 1848 under the Rev. George Van Eman, and a charter was granted in 1854. The oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Hancock County, the sanctuary was constructed in . . . — Map (db m93661) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — McComb Veterans MemorialOne of Multiple Markers in McComb Union Cemetery
Side A (colored flag) In honor of all who served (5 bronze service medallions)

Side B major donors Hancock County Veterans Assistance Center Jack Harden & Sons Contracting Inc. K & L Ready Mix Ed Harden Excavating . . . — Map (db m93663) WM

Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 12- 32 — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
This frame church, architecturally typical of the rural churches built throughout Ohio in the latter nineteenth century, was constructed in 1885 during the pastorate of E.L.T. Engers. The first pastors were from the German Reformed tradition and . . . — Map (db m93657) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 8- 32 — The Village of McComb
Side A The village was laid out on August 18, 1847, by Benjamin Todd, and consisted of 18 lots in Section 26 of Pleasant Township. Originally named Pleasantville, it was incorporated in 1858 and the name was changed in honor of Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m93655) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — 1-32 — William Bensinger and John R. PorterIn Memory of — Ohio Historical Marker
[Marker Front]: In Memory of William Bensinger and John R. Porter ...who are buried here. They joined the famous Andrews Raid to wreck Confederate supply lines. The raiders captured a locomotive, "The General," at Big Shanty, . . . — Map (db m20081) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), McComb — World War I and II Veterans MemorialMulford Butler Post #511 McComb, Ohio — 155mm Howitzer
In honor of World War I and II Veterans who nobly gave their lives for the American cause of liberty and justice Mulford Butler Post No. 511 American Legion McComb, Ohio — Map (db m93664) WM
Ohio (Hancock County), Mt. Blanchard — Johnny AppleseedJohn Chapman
Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) (owned property and planted apple) (trees in this community) dedicated- September- 1966 Mt. Blanchard Garden Club & Men’s Garden Club of Findlay — Map (db m93928) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Mt. Blanchard — 6- 32 — Mt. BlanchardJohnny Appleseed
Side A This village was founded in 1830 on the banks of the Blanchard River by Asa M. Lake, son of Asa Lake, veteran of the Revolution and War of 1812 and first settler of Delaware Township. The town and river are named for an . . . — Map (db m93927) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Mt. Blanchard — Mt. Blanchard Veterans MemorialDelaware Township — Riverview Cemetery
Side A (eagle logo) (5 service medallions) In gratitude to all who’ve secured our freedom

Side B Peace “lest we forget those who served” — Map (db m94063) WM

Ohio (Hancock County), Rawson — 18-32 — Rawson and the Railroads /The Rawson Heritage
Front Side: Rawson and the Railroads The original town plat of Rawson was filed on February 3, 1855, consisting of fifty-five lots in sections 13 and 14 of Union Township, Hancock County on the Frederick Keller and George J. Kelly . . . — Map (db m67548) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Van Buren — 7-32 — The Village of Van Buren
Side A: The Village of Van Buren was laid out December 28, 1833, by John Trout and George Ensminger on the boundary of Portage and Cass Townships. It was comprised of 53 lots surrounding a public square, and was named in honor of Martin Van . . . — Map (db m29187) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Williamstown — 2-32 — Fort Necessity / William Hull Memorial Park
SIde A Fort Necessity A short distance to the northeast a small stockade and blockhouse were built on June 22, 1812 by order of General William Hull for his nearly 2000 man army on its Detroit expedition during the . . . — Map (db m95496) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.