Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hardeman County Texas Historical Markers

 
Chillicothe First Methodist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 8, 2017
Chillicothe First Methodist Church Marker
Texas (Hardeman County), Chillicothe — 11926 — Chillicothe First Methodist Church
Originally organized in 1886 in the Jackson Springs community, this church was first served by circuit riders C. T. Neese and J. T. Hosmer. Shortly after the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway came through Chillicothe in 1887, the Jackson Springs . . . — Map (db m104923) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Chillicothe — 11928 — Medicine Mound Community
Early inhabitants of this area were Comanche and Kiowa Indians whose campsites were situated around four dolomite hills called Medicine Mounds and known for their healing properties. In 1854, area land was deeded to a railway company. Anglo settlers . . . — Map (db m98594) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Chillicothe — 5246 — Texas Agricultural Experiment Station — Substation No. 12 — Home of Hybrid Sorghums
Forage crop field station at which in 1909 (when situated 6 mi. NE) was planted the United States' first sudan grass, a sorghum especially adaptable to semiarid regions. The United States Department of Agriculture had brought the seed . . . — Map (db m104922) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 1845 — First Presbyterian Church of Quanah
This congregation was organized in 1892 at the home of Mrs. A. E. deGraffenried by the Rev. Jacobs and eight charter members. This Beaux Arts classical style church building, erected by Chillicothe contractor, R. Henry Stuckey in 1909, features . . . — Map (db m104893) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 2370 — Hardeman County
Created February 1, 1858 Recreated August 21, 1876 Organized December 30, 1884 Named in honor of Bailey Hardeman, 1785-1836, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Thomas Jones Hardeman, 1788-1854 member of . . . — Map (db m104891) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 12782 — Hardeman County Courthouse
Hardeman County was created in 1858 and named for early Texas legislators Bailey and Thomas Jones Hardeman. It was not organized, however, until 1884 when the population had increased enough to have a formal county government. The community of . . . — Map (db m96822) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 2371 — Hardeman County Jail
This native stone jail building was begun in 1890, when Quanah become Hardeman County Seat, and competed in March 1891. The lower floor housed the sheriff's office and living quarters, while the second floor held prisoner's cells. Malon C. Owens . . . — Map (db m96824) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 11927 — Hicks & Cobb General Merchandise Store
The townsite of Medicine Mound had long been a thriving village when brothers-in-law Lon L. Cobb and Ira Lee Hicks arrived in the area with their families in 1927 and opened a general merchandise store. The store sold such items as work clothes and . . . — Map (db m104917) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 3312 — Medicine Mound Depot — 1910
Built by Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway as passenger and freight station, in area where Chief Quanah Parker's Comanches prayed and rolled in gypsum, believing it was healing dust. Later, Santa Fe Station. Site of holdups and shooting. Has . . . — Map (db m104894) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 13960 — Old Mounds Cemetery — Historic Texas Cemetery
This cemetery served residents of the original site of the community of Medicine Mound in southeast Hardeman County. The settlement took its name from mounds that rise abruptly from the otherwise flat topography of the county; one mound contained . . . — Map (db m104921) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — Quanah Parker — Last Chief of the Comanches — Son of Chief Peta Nokoni and Cynthia Ann Parker - Naduah
Quanah Parker, man of vision, fought against all odds to save the Comanche way of life. Then, he fought to survive and prosper in a white man's world. His mother, a white woman captured by Indians at age nine, was raised a Comanche. When Quanah was . . . — Map (db m96820) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — Quanah Parker Trail Arrow — Texas Plains Trail Region
The legendary Quanah Parker, railway icon and town namesake, blessed Town of Quanah in 1890 Arrow sculptor: Charles A. Smith — Map (db m96823) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 5558 — Trinity Church of Quanah
The Rt. Rev. Alexander C. Garrett (1832-1924), first missionary bishop of northern Texas, preached to local Episcopalians in a schoolroom when he first visited Quanah in 1887. The property for this church building was donated in 1890 by G. M. Dodge, . . . — Map (db m104892) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 11929 — W. P. A. Sanitation Project
In 1937 the State of Texas and Hardeman County worked with President Franklin Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration in an attempt to provide much-needed employment to indigent citizens and replace unsanitary privies with improved facilities. The . . . — Map (db m104919) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 5832 — William Jesse McDonald — (September 28, 1852 - January 15, 1918)
Fearless frontier law officer. Known for crack marksmanship and lightning-fast disarming of foes. His long-time friend Gov. James Hogg made him Captain of Co. B, Frontier Battalion, in 1891. There he handled the "Murder Society of San Saba" and . . . — Map (db m70513) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.