Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hawkins County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Carter's Store Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, December 26, 2015
Carter's Store Marker
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Church Hill — 1B 4 — Carter's Store
One mile west is the site of the store established by John Carter and William Parker. This store was pillaged in the Shawnee raid of 1774. at the Sycamore Shoals Treaty in 1775, the proprietors were awarded the whole Carter's Valley as reparation. — Map (db m91887) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Church Hill — 1B 14 — Patterson's Mill
On the site of this mill, Robert Patterson build a fort about 1775, shortly thereafter a mill. It was one of two stations at which the settlers took refuge during the Cherokee raid under The Raven in 1776. — Map (db m91886) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Church Hill — 1B 16 — Rice's Mill
On the site of this mill, Henry Rice built and fortified a mill in 1775. Here, in 1776, the settlers took refuge from warring Cherokee. In April, 1777, Capt. James Robertson and eight other pioneers had a fight with 30 or 40 Cherokee near here, in . . . — Map (db m91888) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Mooresburg — 1B 34 — Mulberry Grove
About 2 1/2 miles south, now under water, William Cocke had his plantation. A veteran of the Revolution and the War of 1812, he served in the legislatures of Virginia, North Carolina, Franklin, Transylvania, Territory South of the River Ohio, . . . — Map (db m91862) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Mooresburg — 1B 61 — Williams Home Place
Three-tenths of a mile north at 132 Church Lane, Hugh G. Williams and Carrie Moore Williams, descendants of Hugh G. Moore, a founder of Mooresburg, resided here in the late 1800s. The Williams owned the Mooresburg Springs Hotel, a well-known mineral . . . — Map (db m91863) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Mt Carmel — 1B-15 — First Settlers
About 1½ miles west and north of here, in Carter’s Valley, Joseph Kinkead and John Long, first known pioneers to what later became Hawkins County, settled in 1769-70. The valley is named for Colonel John Carter, who first settled here and later . . . — Map (db m104341) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Mt Carmel — 1B-13 — Gov. McMinn’s Home
Near here was the site of “New Market,” home of Joseph McMinn, Revolutionary veteran, governor of Tennessee, 1815–1821, and Indian agent for the Cherokee from 1822 to his death near Calhoun, on Hiwassee River, in 1824. He is buried . . . — Map (db m104342) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 48 — Alexander Peter Stewart
Born here, Oct. 2, 1821: graduate USMA, 1842; resigned 1845, and a professor Cumberland U., and U. of Nashville until 1861. Appointed major, CSA, quickly advanced to brigadier general; Successively to corps command, Army of Tenn., and twice . . . — Map (db m91881) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 6 — Amis House
About 1 1/2 miles south is the stone house built by Thomas Amis between 1781 & 1783. He was Captain and Commissary of North Carolina troops in the Revolution; an original member of the Society of the Cincinnati, and legislator. He established here . . . — Map (db m91872) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Clay-Kenner HouseMurder in the Streets
John G. Bynum and his wife Nancy Bradley Phipps Bynum, owned this house during the Civil War. The value of his land and slaves in 1860 totaled $140,000, an enormous sum for the time. Bynum helped raise the county's first Confederate unit, the . . . — Map (db m97662) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Dr. William Henderson FranklinBorn: April 14, 1852 — Died: October 19, 1935
Dr. Franklin, a very well known and highly respected educator and humanitarian, founded Swift Memorial Junior College in 1883 and served as President of the school until 1926.

Dr. and Mrs. Franklin are buried in this plot on the campus of . . . — Map (db m91867) HM

Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Hawkins County MilestoneWashington DC San Diego
Right To commemorate John Carter, sturdy pioneer, first merchant after whom this valley is named.

Left To commemorate Benjamin Hawkins of North Carolina, Senator of the United States, after whom this county is . . . — Map (db m98426) HM

Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Hawkins County, Tennessee
This county was both Spencer County, State of Franklin, and Hawkins County, State of North Carolina 1786 - 1788, and became Hawkins County, Tennessee in 1796. — Map (db m91897) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 49 — Michael Looney
7.9 miles north was the homestead of this pioneer, veteran of Lord Dunmore's War, and of the Revolution, originally from Botetourt County, Va. Among his descendants were Joseph Emerson Brown, governor of Georgia during the Civil War, and his son, . . . — Map (db m91880) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Old Cemetery - First Presbyterian Church of Rogersville
The Church was organized in 1805 and in 1824 this cemetery was first used. In 1838 the Church split into the Old School or First Church and the New School or Second Church and this cemetery continued in use y the First Church. In 1881 the two . . . — Map (db m91866) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 64 — Price Public School
Alexander Fain, Jordan Netherland, Albert Jones, and Nathaniel Mitchell, all Black Americans, purchased this land in 1868 "for the purpose of building a schoolhouse for the education of colored children." A two-room log building was constructed and . . . — Map (db m91870) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 50 — Rogers Cemetery
Many of the early settlers of Hawkins County are buried in this cemetery, 170 yards south, including Joseph Rogers, the founder of Rogersville, and his descendants. The grandparents of David Crockett who were massacred by the Indians are also . . . — Map (db m91864) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 62 — Rogers Tavern
Joseph Rogers' tavern included the Old Tavern and Big Tavern Houses. Located 45 yards to the south, the Old Tavern House was built between 1790 and 1800. Built between 1800 and 1810, the Big Tavern House is located 25 yards south. Both Buildings . . . — Map (db m91865) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Rogersville EngagementsHawkins County in the Civil War
In June 1861, 1,250 Hawkins County residents voted against secession, while 835 voted in favor. Rural residents tended to have Unionist sympathies but townspeople such as those in Rogersville sided with the Confederacy. Confederate forces often . . . — Map (db m114004) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Rogersville Town Well
The Hawkins County Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, (A.P.T.A.), has chosen to fund and erect this monument to commemorate the nearby site of the original town well in Rogersville.

This marble block was . . . — Map (db m91899) HM

Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 66 — St. Marks Presbyterian Church1875-2002
Originated in 1875, St. Marks was the first black Presbyterian Church in Rogersville. Formerly located in the Tenth Civil District, now McKinney Avenue, the church moved to the corner of Kyle and Hasson Street in 1912. The Reverend William H. . . . — Map (db m91868) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 66 — Swift Memorial College1883 - 1963
Dr. William H. Franklin, the founder and President of Swift College, was one of the first black graduates from Maryville College, receiving his degree in 1881. Swift College was named to honor Elijah E. Swift, president of the denomination's . . . — Map (db m91869) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 60 — Tennessee's First Newspaper
At the invitation of Territorial Gov. William Blount, George Roulestone and Robert Ferguson brought a printing press over the mountains from North Carolina, and established the Knoxville Gazette in a log cabin on the Hawkins County Courthouse . . . — Map (db m91871) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — The Battle of Big Creek"Utter Destruction of Property & Life"
Along Big Creek the 2nd Illinois Artillery spent an uncomfortable night as a cold rain fell in the early morning hours of November 6, 1863. Nearby, under orders to strike the Union camp that morning, two Confederate brigades were crossing the . . . — Map (db m114918) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B-26 — The Hickory Cove
This hill-locked body of land was discovered in 1774 by Castleton Brooks, onetime Long Hunter, who settled here in 1775 and was killed by Indians in 1777. A fort was here in 1775, under the command of Captain Robert Kyle. — Map (db m104337) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 18 — Thomas Gibbons
Born in Surry (now Sussex) Co., Virginia, in 1734, he settled here in 1778, having been forcibly ejected from a homestead about 12 miles east by one Robert Young. The courts of Spencer County, State of Franklin, met in his house 1785-87. On June . . . — Map (db m91882) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Surgoinsville — Fighting in Hawkins CountySurgoinsville and the War
Land, timber, and commercial opportunities drew settlers here to the banks of the Holston River. As the Civil War approached, the river's importance in the Tennessee Valley made it a contested transportation route. Hawkins County residents mostly . . . — Map (db m97667) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Surgoinsville — 1B 63 — Maxwell Academy1852 - 1950
Maxwell Academy was established by the Presbyterian Church in 1852 and named in honor of Captain George Maxwell, who fought in the Battle of Kings Mountain. Serving students in grades one through twelve, the academy was operation by the New . . . — Map (db m91885) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Surgoinsville — 1B 24 — Mitchell's Hollow
About two miles southwest, about 1784, young Joab Mitchell, who had successfully made the trip to the North Fork of the Holston bringing salt for the besieged garrison at Big Creek Fort, was ambushed and mortally wounded by Indians. Beating them . . . — Map (db m97664) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Surgoinsville — 1B 17 — New Providence Church
One-half mile west is this Presbyterian church, established in Carter's Valley in 1780 by Rev. Charles Cummings and Rev. Samuel Doak. It was moved to its present location in 1815. A cemetery is at the old site. — Map (db m91884) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.