Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Holmes County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Marker looking north on Jackson Street. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 5, 2019
Marker looking north on Jackson Street.
Mississippi (Holmes County), Durant — Castalian Springs
W. 3 mi. Mineral springs created popular health spa prior to Civil War. Girls boarding school organized, 1854. In 1862, wounded from Shiloh treated here. Now Y. M.C.A. state camp. — Map (db m140831) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Durant — Durant
Founded, 1858. Named for Louis Durant, a nearby Choctaw chief. Lockhart's Store, 4 mi. W., was first Holmes County post office, dating from 1849. Town later merged with Durant. — Map (db m140836) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Franklin — Franklin Church
During Brig. Gen. Benjamin Grierson's raid in the late winter of 1864-1865, a small Confederate brigade under the command of Gen. Wirt Adams attacked the rear guard of one of Grierson's columns at Franklin Church on January 2, 1865. Among the . . . — Map (db m140860) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — Bishop Charles H. Mason
Charles Harrison Mason (1864-1961) began his ministry in 1893 in Preston, Arkansas. Shunned by the African American Baptist community in Jackson during the 1890s due to his teachings on holiness, Mason brought his revival to Lexington in 1897. He . . . — Map (db m140839) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — 167 — Elmore James
[Front] The cemetery of the Newport Missionary Baptist Church is the final resting place of Elmore James (1918-1963), often described as the "king of the slide guitar." James' electric style built on the approach of Robert Johnson and later . . . — Map (db m140748) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — 156 — Holmes County Blues Lexington
[Front] Holmes County has been a significant contributor to the legacy of African American blues and gospel music in Mississippi. Heralded blues artists born or raised in the Lexington area include Elmore James (a native of Richland, . . . — Map (db m140751) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — Lexington
Began in 1820s as trading post. Incorporated in 1836. County seat of Holmes County since 1834. In 1907 the first Corn Club in the United States was organized here by W.H. (Corn Club) Smith. — Map (db m140843) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — PFC Milton Lee Olive III
Milton Lee Olive III, a native of Chicago, moved to Holmes County and attended school in Lexington. During the Vietnam War, Olive served in Co. B, 2nd Bttn. (Airborne), 503rd Infantry. Near Phu Cong, on October 22, 1965, Olive saved the lives of . . . — Map (db m140856) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Lexington — St. Paul Church of God in Christ
St. Paul Church of God in Christ (COGIC) was organized in 1897 by Bishop Charles Harrison Mason, the founder of the COGIC denomination. St. Paul has served as "Mother Church for the COGIC since its construction here in 1906. Saints Academy. formerly . . . — Map (db m140853) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Richland — O.E.S. Birthplace
Here in 1849, Robert Morris, Mason, schoolmaster, began movement that resulted in creation of the Order of the Eastern Star. Schoolhouse has also housed Masons and Co. C 15th Miss. Inf. C.S.A. — Map (db m140863) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Tchula — 168 — Holmes County Blues Tchula
Front Many blues performers who gained fame in the Delta, Jackson, and Chicago and on the southern soul circuit have lived in or near Tchula, including Elmore James, Hound Dog Taylor, Jimmy Dawkins, Jesse Robinson, Lewis "Love Doctor" . . . — Map (db m121121) HM
Mississippi (Holmes County), Tchula — Tchula
Settled by Charles Land, 1826. Early settlers came by Rockport Road, built by Indians from Tchula Lake to Natchez Trace. Town was trade & shipping center for planters of this area. — Map (db m121048) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020