Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hopkins County Texas Historical Markers

 
The City National Bank & marker. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
The City National Bank & marker.
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7304 — City National Bank
The oldest banking institution in Sulphur Springs, City National Bank was organized in 1889. The first board of directors included J. J. Dabbs, John T. Hargrove, J. F. Carter, J. A. B. Putnam, W. B. Womack, W. A. Dabbs, and S. W. Summers. A . . . — Map (db m119781) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7305 — Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A.
In the vicinity of Old Tarrant, south of here, the Civil War refugee family of Mrs. Amanda Stone, of Louisiana, was shown great kindness when rescued by Hopkins countians after a road accident. The Stones saw the Texans share the little they had, . . . — Map (db m119382) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — Historic Roadside Park
The picnic area on SH 19 in Hopkins County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department - now Texas Department of Transportation. It was built from 1939-1940 using labor from the National Youth Administration, a Federal Works . . . — Map (db m120300) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7317 — Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War1839 — 1910
Front Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King Georgian. Moved to Texas 1861. Rose to rank of colonel, 18th Texas Infantry. Led regiment in Red River Campaign of 1863 to prevent split of South along Mississippi. . . . — Map (db m119776) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7315 — Hopkins County Courthouse
The third Hopkins County Courthouse, built in 1882, was destroyed on Feb. 11, 1894 by a fire that also burned the jail and several nearby structures. Plans were soon made for a new court building to be erected on this corner rather than in the . . . — Map (db m119782) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7316 — Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram
Deed records indicate that a newspaper was being published in Hopkins County as early as 1854. It was known as the "Texas Star" and was located in Tarrant, which then served as county seat. In 1855, the printing presses were purchased by William . . . — Map (db m119745) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7332 — Site of the Union Stockade(½ Block W)
The Reconstruction era which followed the Civil War (1861-65) was a time of unrest in Texas. In this area a gang of outlaws whipped and killed blacks and harassed other citizens. On August 10, 1868, Capt. T. M. Tolman brought Federal . . . — Map (db m119744) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7333 — Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889
Volunteer fire fighters, organized soon after Sulphur Springs was incorporated (1870), used a "bucket brigade" and hand-drawn equipment to control blazes before the city purchased a steam fire engine in 1888. To summon firemen, this 500-pound brass . . . — Map (db m119752) HM
Texas (Hopkins County), Sulphur Springs — 7330 — Townsite of Tarrant
Eldridge Hopkins, for whose family Hopkins County was named in 1846, donated this site for the county seat. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant (1796-1858), Texas Ranger and Mexican war veteran, Tarrant Post Office was established in March 1847. A . . . — Map (db m119766) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.