Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Houghton County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Calumet Theater Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, August 13, 2014
Calumet Theater Marker
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L0112 — Calumet Theater
One of the first municipal theaters in America, the Calumet opened on March 20, 1900, "the greatest social event ever known in copperdom's metropolis." The theater contained a magnificent stage and elegant interior decorations, including an . . . — Map (db m76299) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — Clearing the Way
The Calumet and Hecla Mining Company couldn't allow winter to derail its operation. In a remote region that can receive upwards of 300 inches (762 cm) of snow each year, snow removal was serious business. Clear rail lines were essential for moving . . . — Map (db m122496) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — Float Copper
a mass of native copper weighing 9,392 lbs. found in 1970, buried under three ft. of soil, (glacial till), about 4½ miles southwest of Calumet. Float copper such as this, was torn loose from fissures and lodes by glacial action and together . . . — Map (db m76304) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L1089 — St. Paul the Apostle Church
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the area to work in the mines of the Copper Country. The wood frame church erected by the parish in 1890 was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year . . . — Map (db m76302) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — 1337 — The Italian Hall / Italian Hall Tragedy
Side A The Italian Hall The building that stood on this site was called the Italian Hall, and was home to the Societa Mutua Beneficenza Italiana, which aided immigrants and others in need. Built in 1908, the hall housed a saloon . . . — Map (db m76300) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — 321 Quincy Street
Site of the childhood home of photographer Edward Steichen (1879-1973) and Lilian Steichen Sandburg (1883-1977), wife of writer Carl Sandburg. At this site in the 1880s the seed was sown that later grew into Steichen’s signature . . . — Map (db m122590) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — L519 — Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall
Hancock (marker side 1) The Quincy Mining Company platted Hancock in 1859, a decade after the company began mining Keweenaw copper. While many copper towns boomed and busted within a short period of time, Hancock remained stable, . . . — Map (db m122367) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — S211 — Old Main / Suomi College
Old Main (marker side 1) Suomi College was founded in 1896 by the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The cornerstone of Old Main, the first building erected at Suomi College, was laid on May 30, 1898. Jacobsville . . . — Map (db m122387) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — The Finnish American National Historical Archive & MuseumMennyt, nykyinen ja tuleva (Past, Present and Future)
Finlandia University, founded in 1896 as Suomi College, established the Finnish American National Historical Archive and Museum (FANHAM) in 1990 to honor the past contributions of Finnish Americans, to link present visitors with Finnish America and . . . — Map (db m122599) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Hancock — The First Finnish Newspaper in America
The first Finnish newspaper in America was the “Amerikan Suomalainen Lehti,” published by A. J. Muikku in Hancock on 14 April 1876. It was printed at the northwest corner of Quincy and Reservation Streets at the offices of the North . . . — Map (db m122668) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — Historic HoughtonWinter and Snow
It is said that there are two seasons in the Copper Country: "winter's here" and "winter's coming." The region's northern latitude and unsheltered exposure to Lake Superior combine to guarantee heavy "lake effect" snowfall. The Keweenaw Peninsula . . . — Map (db m80074) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — S0690 — The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey
side 1 The Amphidrome The Amphidrome stood on this site from 1902 until 1927, when it burned. The first hockey game was played in the arena on December 29, 1902, when Portage Lake beat the University of Toronto, 13-2. The Amphidrome . . . — Map (db m76308) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — L1319 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine . . . — Map (db m76306) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.