Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Houston County Texas Historical Markers

 
Houston County Courthouse image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
Houston County Courthouse
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7037 — Crockett
Founded 1837. Named for David Crockett, who had visited here on way to the Alamo, 1836.

Old fortified log courthouse was often the refuge for settlers during Indian raids.

During Civil War had camp of instruction. Telegraph and stagecoach . . . — Map (db m120963) HM

Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11096 — Early Bank Building
A typical late 19th Century Texas commercial building, with cast iron front and pressed tin ornamentation. Erected for bank developed in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915). To aid his customers, Mayes in 1880s took care of cash and currency, . . . — Map (db m121248) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11130 — First National Bank of Crockett
Founded about 1881 as sideline in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915), who aided customers by keeping cash and currency in his safe, issuing loans and credits. In 1892 H.F. Moore (1854-1926) came here from . . . — Map (db m121247) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11132 — Five Courthouses of Houston County
On June 12, 1837, President Sam Houston authorized the formation of Houston County, the first newly created county in the Republic of Texas. Andrew W. Gossett (1812-1890) donated land, which included this square, for the townsite. He and his father, . . . — Map (db m121246) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11212 — Houston County
Created from Nacgodoches County June 12, 1837 Organized the same year named in honor of Sam Houston 1793-1863 Commander-in-Chief of the Texan Army at San Jacinto President of the Republic and Governor of the State of Texas . . . — Map (db m63530) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 12422 — Houston County Courthouse
In early 1938, the Houston County commissioners court, with County Judge B. F. Bradley presiding, began making plans for construction of the county's fifth courthouse. Built in 1939 with funds from the Federal Public Works Administration, the . . . — Map (db m121245) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11227 — Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property
This corner of the town square was developed as a law office after state legislator and Houston County Judge S.A. Miller (1805-1893) purchased it in 1840. In 1891, Rudd Crawford Spinks (1856-1938) bought the site and built a two-story brick building . . . — Map (db m120965) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7039 — Original Site of the Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) and his wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, built a one-room log cabin on this site in 1828. Rice's brothers and his father-in-law, Jacob Masters, probably helped with the . . . — Map (db m121250) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11089 — Site of the Crockett Hotel
James H. Collard, a surveyor, opened a general store on this site in 1837. Four years later he sold the business to Thomas Collins (1800-1869). Members of the Collins family ran the store until 1890 when William Berry (b.1856) constructed the . . . — Map (db m120964) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 8809 — Stage Coach Inn
Built as a home by Joseph D. Rice, Sr., who came to Texas in 1828. In 1838 it was designated as a stopping place for the stage coach from Nacogdoches to Crockett. — Map (db m121249) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11238 — W.V. McConnell Building
Crockett native William Van McConnell (1855-1919) built this Victorian commercial structure soon after he purchased the site in 1891 from Maj. J.C. Wooters, a former mayor of the city. Known for his wit and his Irish stories, McConnell opened a . . . — Map (db m120966) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 11086 — Community of Coltharp(1.2 mi SE)
By the late 1850s Eli Coltharp lived beside Cochina Bayou. He opened a store and post office on the stage route west of Nacogdoches. The farm area called Coltharp Hill boasted a gin, gristmill, blacksmith and millinery shops. A school building . . . — Map (db m29567) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 13468 — First Baptist Church of Kennard
In October 1903, approximately fourteen men and women organized the First Baptist Church of Kenard. The congregation selected four trustees: Dr. T.M. Sherman, George W. Willis, M.B. Matchett and Hugh P. English, who served the church in many . . . — Map (db m29565) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 11241 — Former Rosenwald School(Now "The Little Red Schoolhouse")
A symbol of Black America's pride in education, plus crusade of Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932), a Chicagoan who in 1913 began to fund school buildings for Negroes. By 1920, when this one-teacher structure was built at Ratcliff (4 miles east), . . . — Map (db m29552) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 9464 — Hagerville Community(5 mi. SE)
Kentuckian James Henry Hager (1822-1879) and his wife Naoma (Clark) came to Texas in the 1840s. Hager, a farmer and cabinet maker, opened a blacksmith shop and mill in Houston County. The Nacogdoches-to-Navasota stage and mail road . . . — Map (db m29566) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 7051 — Kennard
The town of Kennard was founded in 1903 by the Louisiana and Texas Lumber Company and platted on 160 acres. Land agent Alexander McTavish also acted as Kennard's first postmaster. The town served as a terminus for the Eastern Texas Railroad, a line . . . — Map (db m29553) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7040 — Four C Mill
R.M. Keith, agent for Central Coal & Coke Company in Kansas City, Missouri, began purchasing the virgin pine timberlands of this region in October 1899. Lumber for construction of a new mill was cut by a small sawmill purchased from local landowner . . . — Map (db m29527) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7016 — Ratcliff
About 1875, a 32 - wagon train of settlers came here from Georgia. Jesse H. Ratcliff (1844 - 1920) built sawmill about 1885, drawing more people. Post office opened 1889, with Ratcliff as postmaster, and town soon had several stores. Professional . . . — Map (db m26980) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7035 — Ratcliff CCC Camp
J.H. Ratcliff's 1880s sawmill and village here gave way to major timber industry operations that by the early 1930s had decimated Houston County's densest virgin forest. As part of federal efforts to restore the nation's natural resources, Civilian . . . — Map (db m29454) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7018 — Community of Weches
Located near site of 17th-century Spanish missionary activity, this farming community had its beginnings with the settlement of the McLeans, Conners, Patton, and Gregg families, who had all arrived in the area by 1840. Originally known as Neches for . . . — Map (db m121254) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 10962 — Glover School
Established in 1881, the Glover School served residents of the rural Glover Community. Under the direction of teacher James Breeze, a one-room schoolhouse was built on A.E. Sloan's land, now the site of the Old Glover Cemetery. A consolidated school . . . — Map (db m121252) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 14922 — Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
Was founded near this marker May 24, 1690, at the Nabedache (Tejas) Indian Village Erected, A. D. 1934, by DeZavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas. Miss . . . — Map (db m121405) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7013 — Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. . . . — Map (db m121406) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7012 — Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria
Was founded in this vicinity Summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel San Miguel" (Neches) River. Erected A.D. 1934 by De Zavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas; Miss Adina De . . . — Map (db m121255) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 12086 — Pine Springs Campground
A favorite campsite of Tejas Indians in the years before European settlers arrived, this location was used in turn by explorers, Spanish missionaries, traders and armies. Travelers were attracted by abundant game, including deer and wild turkey, and . . . — Map (db m121251) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7017 — The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) cut timber; then his young wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), snaked the logs to a homesite 16 miles southwest of here. The cabin they built was a noted way-station on the San Antonio Road. They brought up nine . . . — Map (db m121404) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7021 — Weches CCC Camp
Weches Camp P-58-T was established by the Federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on June 19, 1933. Manned by Company 888, the Weches camp was the first CCC camp established in Houston County. It contained barracks, a mess hall, recreation area, . . . — Map (db m121253) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.