Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hunt County Texas Historical Markers

 
Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7778 — Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault(1890 - 1958)
Organizer-commander of the famous "Flying Tigers" of the China-Burma-India theater in World War II. An outstanding air strategist, Chennault had retired from a pioneer flying career when, in 1937, he was asked by Gen. Chaing Kai-Shek to help China . . . — Map (db m120031) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7772 — Bruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1
The first American Legion Post in Texas was established at Commerce in 1919, the same year the veterans organization was begun nationally. Inspired by the funeral of Private Albert A. Barrow, who had served in World War I, Dr. W. B. DeJernett . . . — Map (db m119792) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7782 — Commerce Post Office
The U. S. Treasury Department began construction of this building in July 1917, during the country's involvement in World War I. Completed in August 1918 after a number of construction delays, it served as the city's main post office facility until . . . — Map (db m119807) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7788 — First Baptist Church of Commerce
Organized with nine charter members, this congregation began on Nov. 15, 1883, as the Missionary Baptist Church of Commerce. Services were held in a Union Church building until 1883, when the first sanctuary was built. As the congregation outgrew . . . — Map (db m119808) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 8 — Historical Stop - Downtown CommerceTexas A&M University - Commerce — Historic Walking Tour
Originally located in Cooper, East Texas Normal College moved to Commerce in 1894 following a devastating fire that destroyed the first and only campus building. The fire was one of many occurrences that prompted President Mayo to relocate the . . . — Map (db m120187) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7780 — Incorporation of Commerce
The events leading up to the incorporation of the city of Commerce can be traced to the 1853 establishment of Josiah H. Jackson's general store about one and one-half miles northeast of this site. The village that developed around his store was . . . — Map (db m120030) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7808 — Jernigin's Store
A Tennessee native and former Arkansas legislator, William Jernigin (1819-80) came to Hunt County in 1856. A pioneer merchant in the nearby village of Cow Hill, he moved to this vicinity in 1872 and opened a mercantile store (1 blk. . . . — Map (db m119793) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7781 — Site of Commerce Churches
In 1893 the Missionary Baptist Church erected a sanctuary here on 5 acres they acquired from George Lawson in 1887. The church sold the property in 1912. In 1913 the Commerce Church of Christ acquired the property and in 1923 they modified and . . . — Map (db m119810) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Commerce — 7783 — Site of Early Commerce Schools
By 1883, the scholastic population of Commerce had outgrown the public school which opened ten years earlier. Land at this site, purchased by the Commerce Educational Assoc., was chosen for a new schoolhouse. The first building here, a two-story . . . — Map (db m119812) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7823 — 1929 Hunt County Courthouse
Built in 1929 as the seventh Hunt County Courthouse, this building was designed by W. R. Ragsdale & Sons of Greenville and Page Brothers of Austin. The 6-story building depicts a transition from classical revival to art deco architecture. It . . . — Map (db m119688) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7776 — Central Christian Church(Disciples of Christ)
This congregation was organized in 1879 as First Christian Church. Led by Elder James Pickens, a minister from Alabama, the congregation first met in a Union Church on Lee Street. The Rev. T. W. Caskey served as the first regular pastor of the . . . — Map (db m119715) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 12547 — Greenville
In 1846, the Texas legislature created Hunt County and specified that Greenville would be the name of the county seat, honoring Texas War for Independence veteran Thomas J. Green. Voters ultimately selected this location, on land donated by . . . — Map (db m119714) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7795 — Greenville Building and Loan Association
This financial institution was chartered by the state of Texas on December 17, 1886, as the Greenville Building and Loan Association. The formation of the association came as a second railroad line was constructed to Greenville, signaling the . . . — Map (db m119710) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7796 — Greenville Cotton Compress
Once world's largest inland press. Set record for most bales pressed in 10-hour day (Sept. 30, 1912), when 2,073 bales were handtrucked, pressed, and loaded in rail cars at rate of 3 a minute. Before invention of lifts and . . . — Map (db m119739) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7805 — Hunt County
Created April 11, 1846 Organized July 19, 1846 Named in honor of General Memucan Hunt 1807-1856 Secretary of the Navy and Inspector General of the Army of the Republic of Texas Minister to the United States Adjutant . . . — Map (db m119856) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7806 — Hunt County's First Railroad
Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railway, whose first train from Denison reached here Oct. 1, 1880. A $5,000 cash bonus and right of way across Hunt County were guaranteed by Greenville men: F. P. Alexander, M. M. Arnold, A. Cameron, J. J. Cooper, J. . . . — Map (db m119384) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7779 — Route of Old Colony Line Road
Early travel artery. Followed the north boundary line of the Chas. F. Mercer colony, a 6,500-square-mile tract granted to Mercer in 1844 by Sam Houston (President of the Republic of Texas) for purpose of bringing colonists into Texas. Southern half . . . — Map (db m119549) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 13142 — Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium
Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium In 1929, Eula Lasater Phillips donated $3,500 to the Greenville Athletic Council to build an athletic field at this site in memory of her late husband, Frank Phillips. The first athletic event in Phillips Field . . . — Map (db m119692) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7799 — The Old Greenville Post Office
Tradition says mail came from Jefferson in early days and was dropped at a saloon. Greenville Post Office was created in 1847, and occupied rented quarters until 1910, when this structure was built. Neo-classic in style, it became an important . . . — Map (db m119712) HM
Texas (Hunt County), Greenville — 7785 — The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County
In 1846, when Hunt County was created, Greenville was chosen as the county seat. Court sessions were held under oak trees at the corner of St. John and Bourland streets until the first courthouse was built here in 1847. A log cabin, it was located . . . — Map (db m119689) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.