Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Imperial County California Historical Markers

 
Pre-Columbian Indian Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, December 28, 2017
Pre-Columbian Indian Trail Marker
California (Imperial County), Brawley — Pre-Columbian Indian Trail
<---------------> Pre-Columbian Indian Trail Colorado River to Lake Coachuilla (Now Imperial Valley) — Map (db m113760) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — Calexico Carnegie Library
Completed in 1919, the library was constructed with a $10,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Calexico's Woman's Improvement Club and the Farmers and Merchants Club encouraged the city to apply for the Carnegie funds. In . . . — Map (db m62070) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — 808 — Camp Salvation
Here on September 23, 1849, Liet. Cave J. Couts, Escourt Commander, International Boundary Commission, established Camp Salvation. From September till the first of December 1849, it served as a refugee center for distressed emigrants attempting to . . . — Map (db m50586) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — Hotel De Anza
The Hotel De Anza was opened on May 28, 1931 by Will R. Conway, an experienced hotelman. The $48,000 cost was partly financed by Calexico citizens. It was opened with a big celebration after being built in only four month. The hotel featured three . . . — Map (db m62071) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — United States Inspection Station
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior United States Inspection Station c. 1933 — Map (db m62072) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Camacho's Place and Café
Camacho's Place was opened for business on December 12, 1946 by Richard Camacho and his wife, Juanita. It is erected on the site of a former Seventh-Day Adventist church and school that had been damaged and abandoned following a major earthquake on . . . — Map (db m62073) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Imperial Valley Press
The Imperial Valley Press was established in 1901 with the aid of W.F. Holt in the town of Imperial and was known as the Imperial Press. Mr. Holt moved the paper to the new city of El Centro in 1906 and changed the name to the Imperial Valley Press. . . . — Map (db m105982) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — McConnell RanchEstablished 1908
In 1908 Hardy McConnell and son, Leslie, (A Native Son) left Temescal Canyon, near Corona, enroute to settle in Imperial Valley, driving two teams of horses pulling wagons, hauling farm implements, chickens and leading a cow. Fourteen days later . . . — Map (db m81635) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Women's 10,000 Club
Established and organized in 1908 as the Men Club to promote the city of El Centro, their first goal was for El Centro to reach a population of 10,000 residents. On October 30, 1908 the women took over the club and renamed it the Women's 10,000 . . . — Map (db m101569) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — 1008 — Yuha Well
Known as Santa Rosa De Las Lajas (Flat Rocks), this site was used on March 8, 1774 by the Anza exploring expedition, opening the land route from Sonora, Mexico, to Alta California. On December 11 to 15, 1775 the three divisions of Anza's colonizing . . . — Map (db m62074) HM
California (Imperial County), Felicity — 985 — Site of Camp Pilot Knob
Camp Pilot Knob was a unit of the Desert Training Center, established by General George S. Patton Jr., to prepare American troops for battle during World War II. It was the largest military training ground ever to exist. At the peak of activity here . . . — Map (db m50590) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — City of Holtville"Carrot Capital of the World"
Incorporated 1908 Carried by a vote of 56 to 8 — Map (db m101558) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Harold Bell WrightPreacher-Writer-Outdoorsman — May 4, 1872 - May 24, 1944
Harold Bell Wright rose from poverty to become "America's favorite author" for the first three decades of the 20th Century. Many of his 19 books were best sellers and made into both "silent" and later "talkies". They include '"The Winning of . . . — Map (db m62033) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Holtville
E Clampus Vitus marker dedicated 1983 Holtville W. F. Holt established this townsite in 1903; built the first electric power plant at 3rd and Holt, the Holton Interurban RR; started the first church, the first newspaper and donated . . . — Map (db m62031) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Church of the Brethren Site - Dunkard Church
The church was organized January 14, 1911. The building was constructed the same year on one-half acre of land given by W.J. Seat, located one-quarter mile south of this site. The founders saw Imperial Valley as a land of opportunity for their . . . — Map (db m62014) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Swiss Club
From their arrival in Fall, 1901, Swiss and their "Americans of Swiss Descent" have contributed greatly to the ethnic diversity of this valley. Their Schwingfests since 1921 and this club since 1924 have celebrated both their ancestral traditions . . . — Map (db m108846) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — 1034 — Site of Rancho El Tecolote
Prolific author Harold Bell Wright purchased 160 acres here in 1907. While living in a tent he built Rancho El Tecolote, constructing a woven arrow weed studio in 1908 and a ranch house in 1909. From 1907 to 1916 he wrote three best sellers, . . . — Map (db m62032) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Imperial Irrigation District
The largest gravity fed irrigation district in the western hemisphere, established in 1911. They later assumed control of several water companies and were instrumental in getting the Hoover Dam and the All American Canal built. They commenced . . . — Map (db m62035) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Imperial Valley Veterans' Memorial
This Memorial Erected in Honor of Those Who Served Their Country in Time of War By Veteran's Memorial Housing Committee - May 30, 1941 • Representing County Board of Supervisors - Hugh T. Osborne • Representing veterans of the war with . . . — Map (db m81827) WM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Mobley Meadows
Mobley Meadows First Sheriff of Imperial County 1907 – 1915 — Map (db m62034) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Pearl Harbor Survivors Memorial
On this the fiftieth anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor - The people of the Imperial Valley pay tribute to those Pearl Harbor Survivors from the valley who were members of the armed forces and served their country honorably in the . . . — Map (db m85978) WM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — 944 — Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco(1825 - 1826)
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-26, the only . . . — Map (db m50589) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 939 — Desert Tower
Bert Vaughn of Jacumba built the stone tower in 1922-23 to commemorate the pioneers and road and railroad builders who opened the area. In the 1930s W.T. Ratcliffe carved the stone animal figures which lurk in the rocks surrounding the tower, . . . — Map (db m50214) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 194 — Mountain Springs Station Site
From 1862-70, Peter Larkin and Joe Stancliff used a stone house about a mile north of here as a store from which ox teams pulled wagons up a 30% grade. The San Diego and Fort Yuma Turnpike Co. used the site as a toll road station until 1876. The . . . — Map (db m50232) HM
California (Imperial County), Niland — Leonard Knight's Salvation Mountain
Salvation Mountain is Leonard Knight's tribute to God and His gift to the world. Leonard came to Slab City in 1984. Over the following 28 years, he devoted himself to the creation of Salvation Mountain. This folk art monument is Leonard's way of . . . — Map (db m114547) HM
California (Imperial County), Niland — Salvation Mountain
This is the culmination of a personal religious intensity few mortals will ever experience. Started as a temporary monument to God's love in 1984 by Leonard Knight, it grew into the worldwide phenomenon you see before you. Born on November 1, . . . — Map (db m114541) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — De Anza Overlook
Juan Bautista De Anza led two groups of Spanish explorers and settlers across this portion of the Colorado Desert from Northern Mexico to San Francisco Bay. During each tortuous passage, the Spanish camped below here in Yuha Wash. The passage in . . . — Map (db m50683) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — Jay C. von Werlhof
The Imperial Valley College Desert Museum represents the creative vision of noted archaeologist and anthropologist Jay Crawford von Werlhof (1923-2009) A prolific author, von Werlhof wrote many scholarly books and articles on the archaeology . . . — Map (db m82451) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — Yuha Well(Santa Rosa de Las Lajas)
Used by the Kamias Indians who showed it to Anza's scouts on March 8, 1774. The second Anza Expedition passed here on December 11, 1775. Later an important water source on the trail from Yuma to San Diego. — Map (db m50363) HM
California (Imperial County), Ogilby — Obregon
The historic gold mining community of Obregon lies near here in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. As a frontier town, Obregon marks the location of several attempts to extract ore during the 1890s through the 1930s. Several different milling . . . — Map (db m51577) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Camp Gaston
Near this spot, situated on the west bank of the Colorado River, about 45 miles north of Fort Yuma, Camp Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Expedition . . . — Map (db m121771) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Ben Hulse HighwayDedicated for Public Use — March 21, 1964
This highway parallels the old Indian trail, still visible from here, connecting the Imperial and Palo Verde Valleys. The grateful people of Imperial County honor the memory of our beloved Senator Ben Hulse, who worked untiringly for the people . . . — Map (db m57702) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 806 — Fort Yuma
Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. Military Post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852 it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred . . . — Map (db m50585) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Fray Francisco Hermenegildo GarcésBorn April 12, 1738, Died July 19, 1781
Daring explorer, zealous missionary and unfailing friend of the Yuma Indians. Padre Garcés founded the Yuma Indian Mission and nearby gave his life for their souls. His faith was unshakeable; his hope tranquil; his charity joyous; his zeal . . . — Map (db m46787) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 568 — Hernando De Alarcon Expedition - 1540
Alarcon's mission was to provide supplies for Francisco Coronado's expedition in search of the fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. The Spaniards led by Hernando De Alarcon ascended the Colorado River by boat from the Gulf of California past this point, . . . — Map (db m88572) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Picacho
As Avi-Milikit of Quechen legends; Picacho noted Spanish arrival in 1640, lured Sonora miners after 1852, brought steamboats to its mining and milling port until 1910. Her mines were never worked to extinction, but Picacho became a squatter haven. . . . — Map (db m51576) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 193 — Picacho Mines
Opened by placer miners after 1852, the gold mines expanded into hard rock quarrying by 1872. Picacho employed 700 miners at its peak from 1895 to 1900. Mill accidents, low ore quality, and the loss of cheap river transport with the building of . . . — Map (db m50584) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 845 — Plank Road1914 - 1927
This unique plank road seven miles long was the only mens early motorists had for crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. The eight by twelve foot sections were moved with a team of horses whenever the shifting sands covered portions of the . . . — Map (db m50682) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 350 — Site of Mission La Purisima Concepcion, 1780-1781
In October 1780, Father Francisco Garces and companions began Mission La Purisima Concepcion. The mission/pueblo site was inadequately supported, colinists ignored Indian rights, usurped the best lands and destroyed Indian crops. Completely . . . — Map (db m46896) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 921 — Site of Mission San PedroY San Pablo De Bicuner
To protect the Anza Trail where it forded the Colorado River, the Spanish founded a pueblo and mission nearby on January 7, 1781. Threatened with the loss of their land, the Quechans (Yumas) attacked this strategic settlement on July 17, 1781. The . . . — Map (db m29057) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — The Plank RoadPlanks, Mules, and Model Ts
The Plank Road once provided the only means of crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. This historic road spurred settlement of Imperial County and development of San Diego at the start of the automobile age. — Map (db m50618) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 182 — Tumco
Pete Walters of Ogilby discovered the first gold vien at Gold Rock on January 6, 1884. From his little Mary claim began a gold camp which reached its peak development between 1893 and 1899 as Hedges, with 3200 residents. Nearly closed, 1900-10, it . . . — Map (db m50581) HM

42 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.