Founder of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, publisher of the New York World, donor of the School of Journalism, Columbia University, New York, and the Pulitzer Prizes for the Advancement of American Journalism and Letters.
“Passionate devotee . . . — — Map (db m124769) HM
Dred and Harriet Scott filed suit for their freedom at this courthouse in 1846. Their case reached the United States Supreme Court and was decided in 1857. The court ruled that the Scotts and all African Americans were not citizen of the United . . . — — Map (db m78845) HM
La Grande Rue, la Rue Principale or La Rue Royale (“Royal Street” or First Street) was considered “Main Street” of Colonial-era St. Louis. Residences and businesses that lined Rue Royal had the best locations . . . — — Map (db m78842) HM
English La Rue Missouri (Chestnut Street), probably named for the Missouria Indians, rather than the river, was the first cross-street north of Market, and several leading families lived nearby - including Madame Marie Therese Chouteau, her . . . — — Map (db m78870) HM
The eight-story Merchant Laclede Building named after the merger of two of its bank tenants, is an early example of St. Louis’ tall fireproof office buildings. Completed in 1889, some of its offices contain fireplaces.
The building was designed . . . — — Map (db m78872) HM
Constructed between 1859 and 1860, this neoclassic building is one of only five original structures at the Garden by Henry Shaw. While the exterior was designed by George l.Barnett, the interior resembles Museum No. 2, the Economic Botany Museum at . . . — — Map (db m78882) HM
This building was originally built by Marcus Berheimer for $30,000. The Scarf and Bernheimer Shipping Company located here for warehousing and office space.
In 1918 the David Evans Company moved its Old Judge Coffee and Spice business into the . . . — — Map (db m78837) HM
On this site stood the Old Missouri Hotel. The first legislature convened here under the first state constitution on September 18, 1820. The year before Missouri was admitted to the Union. It was also the site of the inauguration of the first . . . — — Map (db m78840) HM
Rue de l’Eglise (“Church Street” or Second Street) was named for the Catholic Church that it ran alongside the center of the town. The first church was a small cabin that lasted six years, from 1770-1776. The second . . . — — Map (db m78839) HM
The Mississippi Valley Trust Company was this 1896 building’s first occupant. The Classical Revival facade was an attempt to express the company’s conservatism and stability.
The Trust financed the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. By no coincidence . . . — — Map (db m78871) HM