Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Iron County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Iron County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 11, 2017
Iron County Marker
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — L0179 — Iron County
Side A This county was set off in 1885 from Marquette and Menominee counties. Iron ore deposits which gave the new county its name were the first on the Menominee Iron Range to be discovered. Shipping of ores began in 1882 when the railroad . . . — Map (db m106026) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — Iron County Courthouse
The site of the Iron County Courthouse was finally settled following a series of mischievous manipulation and political intrigue back in 1888. The temporary county seat, Iron River, had been established in 1885 when Iron County was severed off from . . . — Map (db m106027) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — July 4th 1661
July 4th 1661 As a matter of conjecture Father Menard somewhere along this river either died or was murdered while on his way southward from L’Anse to visit the Menominee Indians — Map (db m125036) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — 213 — First Roadside Park
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The . . . — Map (db m125084) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — Larson Park
Mining Bates Township had three mines: The Bates, Chicagon, and Rogers. Together they shipped a total of 8,196,380 tons of ore from 1909-1947. Forestry Larson Park sits in a tract of 320 acres of old growth forest. There are two . . . — Map (db m103472) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — 342 — Indian Village
Here, in 1851, U.S. surveyor Guy H. Carleton discovered an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian village, cemetery and camp ground. Chief Edwards, last ruler at Chicaugon Lake, received a patent for this land in 1884. Selling it in 1891, he and his wife Pentoga, . . . — Map (db m103462) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — Pentoga Park
Discover the site of a pre-European Native American settlement and permanent area headquarters where Ojibwe bands congregated. Wooden burial structures protect and mark graves of these ancient bands. When Chief Edwards moved towards Lac Vieux Desert . . . — Map (db m103463) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.