In honor of the founder
of Island County and his wife
Col. Isaac Neff Ebey – Rebecca Whitey Ebey
1818 – 1857 1822-1858
Whidbey Island’s first permanent settler 1850.
Proposed the separation of Island County from Thurston County . . . — — Map (db m61038) HM
A Glimpse In Time
Like the majority of the coastal forts built in the United States, Fort Casey never fired its guns in warfare.
Fort Casey is one of three coastal forts constructed in the late 1890s to defend the entrance to Puget Sound . . . — — Map (db m61063) HM
The Alexander Block house is one of four blockhouses remaining in Central Whidbey Island. Few original blockhouses of this type remain throughout the United States. John Alexander, Sr. built this blockhouse on his donation land claim . . . — — Map (db m60986) HM
Left side of marker is written in Gaelic and right side is in English
Died here. April, 9 AD 1861
One year ten and twenty
(years) of age
Born at Mineth, Ireland
Gentle wife (of) Sam’l Maylor
They married in Liverpool
At the . . . — — Map (db m60979) HM
“I bought a small old fashion coffee roaster and I plan to roast my own coffee. Front Street will never smell the same!”
– Jim Stewart 1969
Jim and Dave Stewart, coffee pioneers and founders of Seattle’s Best Coffee, . . . — — Map (db m60942) HM
In 1921 a local civic group, the Ladies of the Round Table (LORT) began a ten year effort to restore the decaying Davis Blockhouse. Local carpenter Fred Krueger handled the project carefully replacing rotting beams while . . . — — Map (db m60991) HM
Donation claim of Jacob Ebey.
Served in War of 1812, the Black Hawk War and the Mexican War.
When 61 yrs old led company across plains with covered wagons.
Settled on Whidbey Island and built this home, four blockhouses and stockade in 1856 . . . — — Map (db m60977) HM
Sudden Indian attacks at Seattle and Bellingham in 1855 caused consternation among the small pioneering settlements on Puget Sound. The tradition of blockhouse defense was well known to American settlers, dating from the earliest English colonies. . . . — — Map (db m61040) HM
The cottage was actually built as two separate buildings. The eastern half was built as a law office for James Zylstra. The western half was added and the building became the medical office for Dr. Chas. White. In 1998 Rev. Barry Burton & Capt. Mike . . . — — Map (db m61037) HM
The swirling waters that pass in and out of the narrow channels between Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island have captivated visitors to this area for thousands of years. Salish Native American tribes were the first human inhabitants of these . . . — — Map (db m74012) HM
It's hard to imagine Deception Pass without the bridge. But until 1935, the gap between Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island could only be crossed by boat. In 1924 a small ferry called the Deception Pass began running between Yokeko Point . . . — — Map (db m74083) HM
When the federal government transferred 1,700 acres of land on Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island to the State of Washington in 1925, Deception Pass State Park was barely an idea. For decades, the land had been a military reservation set aside . . . — — Map (db m74085) HM
Dedicated to all U.S. Navy Patrol and Reconnaissance Naval Aviators, Naval Flight Officers and Aircrewmen who, for the cause of freedom, have made the ultimate sacrifice.
Special thanks to Mr. John Christiansen for his many contributions to . . . — — Map (db m74000) HM WM
This park is named after the family of Egbert and Betty Beeksma in recognition of the business they started on the site of park and their contribution to the development of Oak Harbor.
Egbert Beeksma was born the Netherlands . . . — — Map (db m60940) HM
Before the bridge was completed in 1935, the only way to cross Deception Pass was by boat.
If you wanted to take your car from Whidbey to Fidalgo Island in 1929 your crossing would look like this, aboard the MV Acorn.
Your captain could . . . — — Map (db m61465) HM
To the north of this narrow passage is Fidalgo Island, so named for the Spanish explorer, Lieutenant Salvador Fidalgo. To the south is Whidbey Island, second largest island in the contiguous 48 states, which Captain George Vancouver, while exploring . . . — — Map (db m60903) HM
Named by Captain George Vancouver 10 June 1792. Feeling that he had been “Deceived” as to the nature of the inner waterway, Port Gardner (now Saratoga Passage) he wrote on his chart “Deception Pass”. He . . . — — Map (db m60904) HM
This Navy flagstaff is placed here to honor all those Navy people who have served aboard the Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island, their families, and the people of Oak Harbor who have long supported the Navy mission.
Our National Ensign was . . . — — Map (db m73990) HM WM
Oak Harbor’s early “town” was built along the waterfront, and stretched from Maylor’s store along Pioneer Way to about a block east of the junction of Flintstone Freeway and Midway and Pioneer.
The east end of the town burned in a . . . — — Map (db m60938) HM
'Why do we love the sea? Because she has the power to make us think things we like to think.'
- Robert Henry
The Old Wharf and Steamships
Look offshore toward Maylor's Point and you will see a concrete block that remains from Oak . . . — — Map (db m73991) HM
The Skagit Indians maintained several villages on Penn Cove. The paramount Skagit chief lived at Snakelum Point, southeast across the cove. The village at Monroe’s Landing was called cokwol’a. Cokwol’a was a major village of the Skwdabs, a subgroup . . . — — Map (db m61074) HM