An outspoken abolitionist, Lovejoy was owner and publisher of the Alton "Observer". His anti-slavery writings aroused dangerous animosity in the area. Three times his presses were destroyed by mobs, and replaced by the townspeople. The fourth time . . . — — Map (db m142763) HM
A confederation of many Indian tribes living along the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. "Illiniwek" means "The Men". During French occupation of this area it was shortened to "Illini", and the French ending "ois" was added, giving the state of . . . — — Map (db m142760) HM
Over the years, about 165,000 individuals were employed in at least 50 Illinois Civilian Conservation Corps camps in Illinois. Many of these worked on projects in Illinois' state parks.
One of the most successful programs to aid Americans . . . — — Map (db m142758) HM
In appearance, the Piasa Bird was a combination of bird, animal, reptile and fish. It preyed on local Indian tribes until it was killed by Illini Chieftan Owatoga, whose village was near Elsah. The original Bluff Picture was painted so Indians, . . . — — Map (db m142762) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the three mothers and their five children buried in the Hathaway Cemetery. Located in Section 34 of Jersey Township North, the cemetery was the final resting place of: Lydia and John McCluer; Katherine, Elizabeth, and . . . — — Map (db m142828) HM
The Lone Star School is one of more than 70 one-room schools once located throughout Jersey County. The school was built in 1877 roughly 13 miles west of Jerseyville, near the intersection of Routes 16 and 100.
For more than 70 years, children . . . — — Map (db m142795) HM
Leonard and Clay McAdams built the log cabin on your right in the 1920s in the timbered-covered hills in southwestern Jersey County. The cabin was home to a family of six and looked much as it does today, with one room downstairs and a small loft . . . — — Map (db m142794) HM
You are standing in what once was known as Hickory Grove, a tiny settlement that included three log cabins and the Red House.
The four-room Red House, built in 1827, was the first frame home in this area. In 1830, the Red House was converted to . . . — — Map (db m142827) HM
The Union Forest Church was built in 1920 about eight miles southwest of Jerseyville. Its creation was a community effort: Leslie Stamps donated 1/2 acre of land, local farmers donated and milled the lumber, the Jerseyville Baptist Church donated . . . — — Map (db m142824) HM
In 1834 Dr. Silas Hamilton, physician and humanitarian, bequeathed $4,000 for construction and operation of a building for educational and religious purposes. A stone schoolhouse was opened in 1836, and the tuition-free education for local students . . . — — Map (db m142751) HM