Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kalamazoo County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Barn Theatre image, Touch for more information
By Dennis Allen Burlingham, July 19, 2011
Barn Theatre
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Augusta — 1107 — Barn Theatre
The Barn Theatre, originally constructed in 1943 by Robert M. Cook as a dairy barn, is the home of Michigan's oldest resident summer stock theatre. Such theatres use a group of actors who perform consecutive productions of different shows. Founded . . . — Map (db m44945) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Augusta — L2060 — Park Theatre
Built in 1949 by D. Eli and Dorothy Frank, this was one of the last single-screen theaters built in Kalamazoo County. The Art Moderne-inspired structure is a Quonset hut attached to a masonry lobby. Eli and Dorothy also operated a theater in . . . — Map (db m68816) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Climax — Climax World War II Memorial
In memoriam World War II Max Bailey    Loyd Puffer Amos Force    Wesley Simmonds Wilford Gibson    Carrol Smoke Dallas Malone    Fred Truby — Map (db m68800) WM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Climax — L1681B — Daniel B. Eldred House
In 1835, New York native Daniel B. Eldred built this house, which is believed to be the earliest frame dwelling in Climax. Eldred's house, with its delicate Federal entrance, was the site of the first Climax Township meeting in 1838. Eldred first . . . — Map (db m68801) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Climax — First Rural Free Delivery Carriers
(Tablet facing East) First rural free delivery carriers starting out from Climax post office. (From photo taken by Frank Hoogman) This tablet erected by Michigan Rural Letter Carriers' Association, 1917. (Tablet facing . . . — Map (db m68799) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Cooper Township — L1445B — Cooper Congregational Church
(Side One) In 1843 the Reverends Mason Knappen and Ova Hoyt organized the Cooper Congregational Church with families from New York and Vermont. Church founders included Laura Blanchard, John and Betsy Borden, Mace, Nancy and John Borden, . . . — Map (db m68817) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Cooper Township — L432 — DeLano Homestead
William Smith DeLano (1819-1901) was a southwestern Michigan pioneer settler. He built this modest Greek Revival style house in 1858. A native of western New York State, DeLano came to the area with an uncle in 1837. He first worked clearing farms . . . — Map (db m68820) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Galesburg — L767A — Congregational United Church of Christ
This congregation has held services continually since 1832. In 1852 it was formally organized as an offshoot of the First Presbyterian Church of nearby Comstock. Later that year the church's name was changed to the First Congregational Church. It . . . — Map (db m68813) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Galesburg — S222 — The Kalamazoo Region
Kalamazoo is an Indian word said to mean "boiling water." Originally it was applied to the river that flows northwesterly to Lake Michigan. A trickle of settlers in the late 1820's became a torrent in the 1830's as the region's fertile prairies, oak . . . — Map (db m68803) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Galesburg — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m68811) WM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Galesburg — William Rufus Shafter Memorial
(Left Side Tablet) William Rufus Shafter A Michigan solider whose valorous conduct in the Rebellion, in the Indian Wars and in the Spanish-American War, added glory to the military annals of the United States. Born in this . . . — Map (db m68812) HM WM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Hickory Corners — S605A — W.K. Kellogg House
W.K. Kellogg (1860-1951) founded the Toasted Corn Flake Company of Battle Creek in 1906. In 1925, Kellogg and his second wife, Dr. Carrie Staines, a physician at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, commissioned Benjamin and Benjamin of Grand Rapids to . . . — Map (db m68818) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — S569 — Epaphroditus Ransom
(Side One) The only resident of Kalamazoo to be elected governor of Michigan during its first 150 years, Epaphroditus Ransom lived and farmed on this site. Born in Massachusetts in 1796, Ransom came to Michigan in 1834. An attorney, he . . . — Map (db m74527) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L338 — First Baptist Church
(Side One) Constructed in 1853, this is the oldest church building in Kalamazoo. Titus Bronson, the city’s founder, donated this site on Church Square. The Baptist faith reached the Kalamazoo River Valley in 1826 when missionary Leonard . . . — Map (db m74522) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L1528 — First United Methodist Church
(Side One) In 1830 the Reverend James T. Robe, a young Methodist circuit rider, delivered the first sermon in the village of Bronson, later Kalamazoo, at the home of the town’s founder, Titus Bronson. After his appointment to the . . . — Map (db m74489) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — 221 — First Women's Club in Michigan
This building, completed in 1879, is the first in the nation erected for the use of a women’s club. The Ladies’ Library Association, organized in January, 1852, grew out of a reading club started in 1844. It was the first women’s club in Michigan . . . — Map (db m74487) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L245A — Harris Family
Among the earliest pioneers of Oshtemo Township was a Black family, that of Enoch and Deborah Harris. Born in the East in the late 1700's, they settled in the Ohio wilderness about 1810. Moving westward with the advancing frontier, they claimed land . . . — Map (db m23059) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — In Memoriam U.S.S Maine
Upper Plaque: In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th, 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine Lower Plaque: Tablet secured for Richard Westnedge Camp No-16, . . . — Map (db m30387) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — 133 — Kalamazoo Celery
A Scotsman, named Taylor, grew the first celery in Kalamazoo in 1856. Diners at the Burdick Hotel regarded it with curiosity. Cornelius De Bruyn, a gardener, who came here from The Netherlands in 1866, developed the modern type of celery from the . . . — Map (db m74486) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — S101 — Kalamazoo College
The first classroom building for the Michigan and Huron Institute, now Kalamazoo College, was erected on this site between June and September of 1836. The charter bill for the school had been introduced in the Michigan Territorial Legislative . . . — Map (db m74525) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L1399 — Kalamazoo Gazette
Founded in 1833 as the weekly Michigan Statesman and St. Joseph Chronicle, this newspaper, edited by Henry Gilbert, followed the United States Land Office when it moved from White Pigeon to Kalamazoo in 1835. It first appeared as the . . . — Map (db m74528) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — S0153 — Kalamazoo School Case
Near here, in 1858, Kalamazoo's first high school was opened. Fifteen years later the right of the school board to levy taxes to support a high school was challenged. A unanimous decision of the Michigan Supreme Court, rendered by Justice Thomas M. . . . — Map (db m43675) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — 44 — Lincoln at Kalamazoo
On August 27, 1856, here in this park, Abraham Lincoln, then an obscure lawyer, spoke to a rally for John Frémont, the Republican presidential nominee. This was the only time that Lincoln addressed an audience in Michigan. The event was . . . — Map (db m26760) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo
1861 - 1865 This tablet is placed here by Sarah E. Fuller - Tent No. 8 Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War Dept. of Michigan in memory of Orcutt Post No. 79 Kalamazoo, Dept. Of Mich. Grand Army of the Republic the . . . — Map (db m30396) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L10 — Pioneer Cemetery
South Westnedge Street Park is actually Kalamazoo’s first cemetery. The pioneer leader, Cyren Burdick, and his wife Mary Ann in 1833 donated this land as a common burial ground. From this time until 1862 hundreds of pioneer settlers were buried here . . . — Map (db m74526) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — L206 — South Street Historic District
(Side One) This tree-lined neighborhood, today nestled between the business district and college campuses, recalls a quiet but prosperous Kalamazoo at the turn of the century. The street was platted in 1841. Its beautifully preserved . . . — Map (db m74523) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — Spanish War Veterans Monument1898-1902
Erected by the citizens of Kalamazoo city and county to commemorate the valor and patriotism of those who served in the war with Spain, the Philippine insurrection, and the China relief expedition. Dedicated May 30th, A.D. 1924 under the auspices . . . — Map (db m30386) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — 565 — Stuart Neighborhood
Wealthy merchants and businessmen, seeking an escape from the hurried life of downtown living, built this prosperous neighborhood in the latter half of the nineteenth century. Movement to the suburbs gained in popularity after the 1850s, but lack of . . . — Map (db m64116) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Kalamazoo — 222 — The Kalamazoo Region
Kalamazoo is an Indian word said to mean "boiling water." Originally it was applied to the river that flows northwesterly to Lake Michigan. A trickle of settlers in the late 1820's became a torrent in the 1830's as the region's fertile prairies, oak . . . — Map (db m68804) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Portage — For A Pal
This sculpture is dedicated to all my Navy shipmates, Marine, Army and Coast Guard buddies, and allies of all faiths who served in the Guadalcanal Campaign from August 7, 1942 to February 17, 1943. These brave men and women were part of the first . . . — Map (db m68828) WM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Portage — Gregory B. Jarvis and Roger B. Chaffee Memorial
Gregory B. Jarvis August 24, 1944 January 28, 1986 Born in Detroit Michigan, Payload Specialist, Gregory Jarvis and his crew members, Ellison Onizuka, Michael Smith, Christa McAuliffe, Francis Scobee, Ronald McNair and Judith . . . — Map (db m68826) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Richland — L1189A — Community Library
The Ladies Library Association raised the funds to build this Classical Revival style building, which was completed in 1910. After serving as a private library for thirty-eight years, it was sold first to the Richland Rural Agricultural School . . . — Map (db m68821) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Richland — First Religious Service in Kalamazoo County
This tablet commemorates the first religious service held in Kalamazoo County. It was conducted by John Barnes and Seldon Norton in May 1830, under an oak one and one half miles southeast of Richland Village. — Map (db m68827) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Richland — L835A/368 — The First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
(Side One) Settlers from Hudson, Ohio, came to the Richland area (then known as Gull Prairie) in 1830. A year later, a Presbyterian congregation was organized. Established under the 1801 Plan of Union adopted by the Presbyterians and . . . — Map (db m122219) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Schoolcraft — Schoolcraft G.A.R. Memorial
In Memory of the Defenders of our Country Erected by Burson Post No. 303 G.A.R. — Map (db m74674) WM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Schoolcraft — Underground Railroad House
This historic house was built in 1835 by Dr. Nathan Thomas, the first physician in Kalamazoo County. When asked in 1843 to assist escaping slaves from the south to reach Canada, he quickly agreed. Mrs. Thomas would provide food and arrange for them . . . — Map (db m68769) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Vicksburg — L1481A — Fanny M. Bair Library
Fanny M. Bair, a member of one of Vicksburg's pioneer families, built this library and presented it to the Ladies Library Association on November 21, 1902. Charles A. Fairchild of Kalamazoo designed the building with "modern conveniences" like . . . — Map (db m68793) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Vicksburg — L2086C — Vickers' Mill
In 1831, John Vickers built a brush dam over the eight-foot waterfall on Portage Creek and erected a log grist mill. The mill is believed to have been the first mill in Kalamazoo County. The dam created a pond that supplied water power to the mill, . . . — Map (db m68794) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Vicksburg — Vicksburg's First Mill
On this site stood Vickburg's First Mill Erected 1850 Burned and rebuilt 1853 Destroyed by fire 1885 This marker placed by Vicksburg Community Council May 31, 1920 — Map (db m68795) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.