Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kitsap County Washington Historical Markers

 
Camperdown Elm Marker image, Touch for more information
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
Camperdown Elm Marker
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Camperdown Elm — Planted 1875
It was in 1640 that the "Earl of Camperdown" in Dundee Scotland noticed a branch growing on the floor of his elm forest. He grafted it to a Scotch Elm tree and it took hold producing the first Camperdown Elm. The Scotch Elm is the only root mass the . . . — Map (db m112959) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Clarence R. & Lulu (Hovey) Cranmer House — 1890
Clarence was a past Master of the Franklin Lodge in 1896. Lulu died at the age of 32 on June 15, 1904 and is buried in the Port Gamble Cemetery. — Map (db m112948) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Community Hall / Post Office — 1906
The first mail deliveries arrived by sailing bark. The company payroll of silver dollars were hauled up in a "trusty" wheelbarrow, and counted and deposited in a safe by D.L. Jackson. A barber, doctor, dentist, and telegraph/telephone operator . . . — Map (db m112954) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Daniel B. Jackson House — 1871
D.B. Jackson was Port Gamble's third postmaster. His son Daniel Leslie Jackson was the telegraph operator and followed him as postmaster and owner of this house. Daniel Leslie was postmaster under nine U.S. Presidents. His sister May married George . . . — Map (db m112945) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — David & Joyce Olson House — 1870
Lived in this house, 1950-1989. David Olson retired from Pope and Talbot in 1994 after 39-1/2 years of service. He lived in Port Gamble all his life. — Map (db m112950) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Eugene & Ann DeFord House — 1873
Raised in Port Gamble, Eugene returned from World War II and began his career in 1947 on "Green Chain". He held every job in the mill and retired in 1985 as plant manager. — Map (db m112951) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Fire Hall
The fire hall building, its origin uncertain, was apparently installed or moved between the Masonic Lodge and the Community Hall between 1929 and 1956. The mill workers acted as a volunteer fire department for the mill and town. The building was . . . — Map (db m112952) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Franklin Lodge No. 5 — 1871-1872
Franklin Lodge is the oldest active Masonic lodge in Washington. It was chartered September 6, 1859 when its eight original members carried a petition by canoe to Steilacoom. The hall originally stood where the store is today. It wasn't turned . . . — Map (db m112946) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — James & Sarah Thompson House — 1859
This is the oldest continuously occupied house in the state of Washington. James Thompson came to Port Gamble on the schooner Towana and his descendants lived in the home for more than 99 years. The Thompsons owned the house as private property and . . . — Map (db m112957) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Leo & Goldie Hammersmith House — 1918-1919
Leo came to Pope & Talbot from the Hammersmith Mill in Yelm, WA. Leo married Goldie on July 4th, 1915, which was also Goldie's 18th birthday. Leo and Goldie had no children. Leo retired as mill manager in 1958, moved to Portland and passed away in . . . — Map (db m112944) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — M.S. Drew House — 1860
As timber agent for Puget Mill Company, Mike Drew bought so much land the company became the largest owner of timberland in Washington. By 1880 he and his wife Susan lived here with their five children. — Map (db m112953) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Morrill S. Pope House — Built 1900-1901
This house was barged over from Port Ludlow after 1929. At Port Ludlow, this was Morrill Pope's house, who was supervisor of the mill. This house replaces the earlier John Seavey house that had stood here since 1870. — Map (db m112941) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — New York House — 1863
The house was built by the company in order to attract and retain the resident physicians who lived there over a long period of time. It likely served both as hospital and home to the town's resident physician until sometime prior to 1929, when the . . . — Map (db m112949) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Port Gamble General Store & Office
Port Gamble's first store opened for business before the mill was up and running. It sold merchandise to employees, Indians, settlers, ships, and logging camps. This is the town's fifth store building and the first to be located on the bluff. . . . — Map (db m112955) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Port Gamble Market — 1903
Here the company sold meat and vegetables raised by local farmers. The building was remodeled into a garage after the market moved into the store building in 1916 — Map (db m112956) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — St. Paul's Church — 1878-1979
Modeled after the Congregational Church of East Machias, Maine. The steeple bell was a gift from the San Francisco Pope & Talbot's officers' wives. It arrived by sailing vessel in 1879. The church's steeple and original Congregational affiliation . . . — Map (db m112960) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House — 1878-1979
William Walker, master mechanic, lived here with his wife Emma, daughter Maude, and son-in-law Edwin Ames. The house was close to the mill so Walker was nearby in case of emergencies. Ames was the resident manager from 1883-194 and then general . . . — Map (db m112958) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.