Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lafayette County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Argyle Marker image, Touch for more information
By William J. Toman, May 20, 2012
Argyle Marker
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Argyle — Argyle
Argyle was founded in 1844 by Allen Wright, a Scotsman who named it after the Duke of Argyle. In 1855, the first bridge was built here over the Pecatonica River. The bridge was replaced in 1875 and again in 1895. Yet another bridge, the much admired . . . — Map (db m55580) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Argyle — Partridge Hall Star Theatre
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Built 1878 — Map (db m68808) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — 355 — 1998 Wisconsin Assembly
On January 14, 1998, the Wisconsin Assembly met at the First Capitol in Belmont in honor of the Sesquicentennial of Statehood. The Territorial Legislature held its first session here in 1836, and convened for three more sessions in what is now . . . — Map (db m55046) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — 75 — Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836
When Governor Henry Dodge addressed the joint session of the legislature here on October 25, 1836, the Territory of Wisconsin included all of present day Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and parts of the two Dakotas. The population was about equally . . . — Map (db m33129) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — 438 — Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol
On January 14, 1998, Governor Tommy G. Thompson addressed the Wisconsin Assembly at Wisconsin's First Territorial Capitol in Belmont in honor of the Sesquicentennial of Statehood. Serving more terms than any other governor in the history of . . . — Map (db m33130) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — Land, Lead, and Politics
The Land First Capitol Historic Site is located in the Driftless Area of southwestern Wisconsin. When the glaciers bypassed the area they left the soft sandstones and limestones intact to form the varied landscape you see today. Belmont . . . — Map (db m33277) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Belmont — The First Capitol
Wisconsin's Territorial Government On April 20, 1836, Congress passed an act establishing the Wisconsin Territory, composed of the present states of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and the eastern halves of North and South Dakota. President . . . — Map (db m33278) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Benton — 150 — Father Samuel Mazzuchelli
In 1835 Father Samuel Mazzuchelli, Dominican missionary, came to the lead region from the Green Bay-Mackinac frontier. One year later he addressed the opening session of the territorial legislature. Soon he was establishing schools and preparing . . . — Map (db m55045) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — Earliest SettlersZarahemla
In 1850 Zenas Gurley and his family settled in this area. His charisma and leadership led several of this area's early settlers to convert to the Mormon faith. While worshiping on a site similar to this one, the scenic view led them to believe they . . . — Map (db m33079) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — 449 — ZarahemlaPredecessor of Blanchardville
In 1843, the Cline and Newkirk families arrived in the area followed by the Wildermuths in 1846. All were related by marriage and drawn here by fertile land and the Pecatonica River. Disillusion with their current religion and family tragedies led . . . — Map (db m32041) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — 450 — Zenas Gurley
In 1850, Zenas Gurley, settled with his family in this area. His charisma and leadership drew other devout families to this area after he broke with Brigham Young because of his polygamy practices. This settlement was called “Zarahemla” . . . — Map (db m33077) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), New Diggings — St. Augustine Church
Striking in its classical simplicity, this little frame church 30x50 has stood on the New Diggings Hill since its construction in 1844-47 as a place of worship for the Irish mining families of the vicinity. A beautiful example of Greco-Gothic . . . — Map (db m59534) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — 37 — Badger Mine – Badger Lot Diggings
This site is in the heart of the pioneer lead mining region, origin of Wisconsin’s “Badger” nickname. The Winnebago Indian Peace Treaty signed, pioneer miners flooded this area in the 1827 “Lead Rush”. These hardy pioneers . . . — Map (db m55048) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — Historical Badger Park
Badger Park, like our Badger State, took its name from this area where some of the miners, like badgers, “dug-in” for the winter, while others, called “suckers” moved on south. It includes 8½ acres of what was considered . . . — Map (db m55052) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — Historical Badger Park
Badger Park, like our Badger State, took its name from this area where some of the miners, like badgers, “dug-in” for the winter, while others, called “suckers” moved on south. It includes 8½ acres of what was considered . . . — Map (db m55053) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — Saint Matthew Catholic Parish
St. Matthew Parish was founded by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli OP on August 27, 1835 with the baptism of Henrica Murphy. Worship was held in the cabins of members until 1841 when Father Samuel built the first church which was located on the SE corner . . . — Map (db m68253) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — The Old Chicago Stageroad
This stone marks the old Chicago stageroad, and the tavern built by Fortunatus Berry in 1829. — Map (db m84884) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — United Methodist Church
At Gratiot's Grove two-and-a-half miles southeast from here the first Methodist sermon in Wisconsin was delivered by the Rev. John Dew August 21, 1828 — Map (db m55054) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Shullsburg — 24 — Wisconsin Lead Region
Grant, Iowa and Lafayette counties were once the center of a lead-mining boom. Indians had sold lead to early traders, but there were few white miners here in 1820. Mining brought in a large part of the 37,000 population credited to the three . . . — Map (db m55044) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), South Wayne — 57 — East Wiota Lutheran Church
Norwegian immigrants formed this congregation in 1844 and began constructing their church in 1847. This is the oldest Norwegian Lutheran church still in use in America. — Map (db m55050) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Town of Wiota — 547 — Battle of Pecatonica
Blackhawk Memorial Park is on the site of the Battle of Pecatonica, the first of three military engagements fought in present-day Wisconsin during the American-Indian conflict of 1832, known as the Black Hawk War. On June 16, 1832, following attacks . . . — Map (db m68810) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Town of Wiota — The Battle of the Pecatonica
At this place on June 16, 1832 between Wisconsin pioneers, under Colonel Henry Dodge, and a band of Black Hawk’s Sacs was fought the Battle of the Pecatonica. “The annals of Indian warfare offer no parallel to this battle.” Of the . . . — Map (db m68809) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Wiota — Fort Hamilton
Built by Col. Wm. Hamilton, youngest son of the renowned American statesman, Alexander Hamilton. Col. Hamilton was the founder of Hamilton Diggings, now Wiota. He was born in New York, August 4, 1797. He spent 3 years at West Point after which he . . . — Map (db m67297) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.