This town site, named after President Buchanan, was laid out in October 1856. From September 1857 until May 1859 the place though little less than wilderness, was the seat of the U.S. Land Office for the Northeastern District of Minnesota. After the . . . — — Map (db m43806) HM
So designated by the Minnesota State Legislature and enacted into State Law, April 20, 1961.
In recognition of the eminent leadership and outstanding contributions of Arthur V. Rohweder to the achievement by Minnesota of notable success and . . . — — Map (db m43830) HM
This anchor was salvaged from the shipwreck of the 5000-ton steel barge, Madeira, which was tossed up against Gold Rock Point, about a quarter mile northeast of here, during the fierce storm of November 27-28, 1905. As the ship broke . . . — — Map (db m78751) HM
This concrete platform is all that remains of the building that housed the steam hoist engine that was used in constructing Split Rock Lighthouse.
Everything needed for building the light station in 1909-10 came by boat. The hoist engine . . . — — Map (db m78717) HM
It's the early morning hours of November 28, 1905.
Imagine yourself standing right here in the middle of one of the worst storms in Great Lakes history - 65-mile-per-hour winds, blinding snow, 30-foot waves crashing into the cliff.
The . . . — — Map (db m78716) HM
In commemoration of the
50th anniversary of the first shipment
of iron ore from the State of Minnesota,
through the port of Two Harbors
to the memory of those men
of vision and courage,
who promoted the
Duluth & Iron Range . . . — — Map (db m78823) HM
The "railroad tracks" on the shore before you are the last vestiges of a once vibrant commercial fishing village in Agate Bay. It was an easy transition for Scandinavian immigrants to begin fishing almost immediately upon arrival in America. The . . . — — Map (db m78851) HM
This boat the Crusader II was built in 1939 by Ruben and Charles Hill of Larsmont Minnesota. It was christened by Crown Prince Olav of Norway during a visit to Knife River.
The Hill family built over 200 boats used mostly by the commercial . . . — — Map (db m78820) HM
This sleigh was used by the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad Company to transport officials and employees between Duluth and Two Harbors, from 1882 to 1886, which period of time covered the construction of the road between Two Harbors and the . . . — — Map (db m78786) HM
Two Harbors owes its very existence to the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad (D&IR), established in 1883 to transport iron ore from the Vermilion Range for shipping to steel mills via the the [sic] Great Lakes. The railroad chose Agate Bay, renamed . . . — — Map (db m78778) HM
Central American Connection
The 3 Spot was built in 1883, by Philadelphia-based Baldwin Locomotive Works. The 3 Spot was originally built for the Tehuantepec Interoceanic Railway in Mexico. The Tehuantepec Interoceanic never took delivery, . . . — — Map (db m78787) HM
This locomotive is dedicated to the men, women, and families of the Duluth Missabe & Iron Range Railroad
DM&IR Yellowstone Mallet #229, which is displayed opposite the venerable Duluth & Iron Range Railroad 3 . . . — — Map (db m78785) HM
The scenery of the region between Split Rock and Beaver Bay is the direct result of important events of early geologic time.
Lava flows, which had accumulated in this region to a thickness of about 30,000 feet, were lifted and arched by a huge . . . — — Map (db m76280) HM
Hand and Push Cars were primarily used by section crews to move men and equipment to local work sites. Hand cars did not have a reverse gear and had to be picked up by four men and turned to face the opposite direction.
[Photo . . . — — Map (db m78806) HM
The first D&IR wooden ore cars were purchased from the Northwestern Manufacturing Co. in 1884. The first order was for 300 cars at a cost of $615 each. The cars had a capacity of 20 tons but were often overloaded. The lifespan of this equipment . . . — — Map (db m78797) HM
[Text interspersed with photos]
Thomas Owens was affectionately known at "T.O.".
The White Houses located between 2nd and 3rd Avenues on Poplar Street were once owned by Railroad Superintendent George White. After his passing and by the . . . — — Map (db m78857) HM
After the Minnesota Iron Company began shipping iron ore from the Vermilion Range through the Two Harbors ore docks in 1884, this port far surpassed Duluth in importance. The increased traffic of ore boats, combined with commercial fishing, made . . . — — Map (db m78812) HM
You Are Here - The one acre site was purchased by the U.S. Government with construction of the lighthouse beginning in 1891. The Two Harbors Lighthouse Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Originally, a . . . — — Map (db m78817) HM
Presented to the City of Two Harbors by the Oscar Anderson Post No. 109,
the American Legion, September 1929.
This 250 m.m. German Minenwerfer howitzer was captured by the Americans in the World's War at St. Mihiel, France, September 16, . . . — — Map (db m78853) HM WM