Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lancaster County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Conoy Creek image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, February 24, 2008
Conoy Creek
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — Conoy Indian Town
From about 1718-1743, the Conoy Indian Tribe had its settlement slightly to the west of here. Closely related to the Nanticoke Tribe, with whom they eventually merged, the Conoy Indians gradually migrated into Pennsylvania from the area of . . . — Map (db m5759) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — River Brethren
One of the first religious denominations founded in America, the group held its first baptism in the nearby Conoy Creek around 1780. Worship services were held down this lane at Magdalena House, the home of Jacob Engel, one of the founders. The . . . — Map (db m84436) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — Samuel S. Haldeman — (1812 - 1880)
The internationally known scientist and philologist was born one-quarter mile south, in the mansion at Locust Grove. Built 1811 by his grandfather, John B. Haldeman, this was the younger man's home until he moved to Chickies, seven miles south, in . . . — Map (db m5760) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Brickerville — Hopewell Forge Mansion
Built c. 1740 by Peter Grubb, pioneer ironmaster at nearby Cornwall Furnace, and named for the Upper and Lower Hopewell Forges located on Hammer Creek near the house. Remnants of the forge dams may still be seen in the creek. — Map (db m30272) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — Christiana Riot Monument
(East Face) In Commemoration of the “Christiana Riot” September 11, 1851, and the Treason Trials Sept. 29 – Dec. 17, 1851. (North Face) Indicted for Treason U.S. Circuit Court E.D. PA. Aug. 1 1851: 1. Gastiner . . . — Map (db m117273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — The Christiana Riot
The 1850 federal Fugitive Slave Act strengthened the position of slave-owners seeking to capture runaways. Pursuing four escaped slaves, Maryland farmer Edward Gorsuch arrived Sept. 11, 1851, at the Christiana home of William Parker, an African . . . — Map (db m5715) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — William C. Sproul
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1919-23, was born .4 mile SW, in 1870. The house is marked. His term is noted for road building, the Edmonds Act improving the public school system, and the creation of the Department of Welfare. He died near Chester in . . . — Map (db m5714) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — 40th Parallel
Maryland's charter, granted in 1632, included old Philadelphia since it made the 40th parallel, which crosses the river near this point, her northern boundary. This charter conflicted with the charter given William Penn in 1681. After more than . . . — Map (db m15042) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
Originally Wright's Ferry, founded by John Wright in 1726. An early center for turnpike, canal, and railroad activity, at an important Susquehanna River crossing. First bridge built in 1812. — Map (db m5083) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
In 1726 Quaker John Wright built a log house in an area first granted to George Beale by William Penn 25 years earlier. Wright established a ferry at this natural crossing point on the Susquehanna in 1730. Originally known as Wright's Ferry, the . . . — Map (db m5762) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — First National Bank
The Columbia Bridge Company was formed in 1811 and began to raise money for a bridge between Columbia and Wrightsville. This business served as the first bank in the community, and by 1814 had used its profits to build the first . . . — Map (db m122597) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Lincoln Highway
The country's first coast-to-coast highway was established in 1913 by the Lincoln Highway Association, largely by improving and linking existing roads between New York and San Francisco. The highway changed the way people traveled and the landscape . . . — Map (db m5761) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Prelude to Gettysburg / A Desperate Plan
(side 1) Prelude to Gettysburg One of the great debates of our Country's history and legacy is what scholars call "the two Civil Wars": the first a matter of campaigns, generals, and troop movements and the second focusing on the . . . — Map (db m122592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Samuel Wright — Born May 12, 1754 ~ Died September 7, 1811
Samuel Wright, Son of James and Rhoda Wright, was the original proprietor of Old Columbia. He named and laid out the bounds of the early town in what was then Wright's Ferry. His generosity to his fellow townsmen was manifested in a grant of . . . — Map (db m122689) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga
Lancaster – 7 Conestoga Home of the Conestoga Wagon Formerly Conestoga Center Founded by John Kendig 1805 — Map (db m122697) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga Indian Town
The Conestoga Indians in origin largely the survivors of the defeated ancient Susquehannas or Minquas of Iroquoian stock located their village variously on these lands in the Penn Proprietary Manor of Conestoga chiefly . . . — Map (db m122589) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga Indian Town
The Conestoga Indians lived in scattered settlements along this stream. They were the last of the once mighty Susquehannocks. Their final location was the Conestoga Indian Town which was along the road leading to Creswell. William Penn visited the . . . — Map (db m122634) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Iron Works
In 1846 the Safe Harbor blast furnace, foundry and rolling mill, using anthracite for fuel, were built by Reeves, Abbott & Co. Great quantities of iron and rails were produced for the Pennsylvania R.R., incorporated in the same year. During the . . . — Map (db m122690) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Moving Heaven and Earth — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Manor Township
When construction began in 1903, no other section of the Pennsylvania Railroad's (PRR) A&S Branch likely seemed as improbable as that along the western boundary of Manor Township. There was no existing path sufficient to the purpose of two-track, . . . — Map (db m122586) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — The Atglen & Susquehanna Low Grade — The Pennsylvania Railroad's Dedicated Freight Road
The Atglen & Susquehanna Branch was constructed (1903-1906) by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) as the middle segment of its Low Grade lane, an ambitious through-freight route which extended some 140 miles from Morrisville Yard near Trenton, New . . . — Map (db m122585) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — The Cost of Dynamite — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Conestoga Township
Dynamite was essential for expedient construction of the A&S. Rock cliffs on the Susquehanna River were blasted for months to create shelves that carried the rails northward, a lower route for the older Port Road and an upper route for the new A&S . . . — Map (db m122692) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Brothers' House Complex
The Brothers' House (Bethania) was built on this site in the spring of 1746. Although it is difficult to determine the actual height of the building, the Brothers' House was probably a four-and-one-half story half-timber structure that measured . . . — Map (db m23082) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata Cloister
Surviving restored buildings of the Seventh Day Baptist community founded by Conrad Beissel. Original buildings erected between 1735 and 1749. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission — Map (db m8264) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata Cloister
Surviving buildings of the famous Ephrata community of Seventh Day Baptists, founded by Conrad Beissel, 1732. Turn to the right here to see this State historic shrine. — Map (db m8266) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Home of Conrad Beissel — 1691 - 1768 — A Landmark of American Music
Founder and superintendent of the Ephrata Cloister. Conrad Beissel was one of America's earliest composers of hymns and anthems, organizer and teacher of the cloister singing school and publisher of America's first book of original . . . — Map (db m22442) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — Great Minquas Path
An Indian trail, which was later the original Conestoga Road, passed through Gap, half a mile south of here. Over it, in the 17th century Minquas(Conestoga) Indians carried quantities of beaver skins from the Susquehanna Valley to trading post near . . . — Map (db m5718) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — The Gap Clock Tower
Unique on American Highways, was erected by the people of Gap in 1892. It was restored in 1953. The clock’s face, long telling time to passing multitudes on the Newport Road, overlooks, at The Gap, William Penn’s entrance into Conestoga, new . . . — Map (db m122694) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — William Chester Ruth — (1882-1971)
African American inventor who opened a blacksmith and machine shop here in 1923. He did metal work and repairs, primarily for Pennsylvania German farmers. Ruth designed and patented many agricultural devices, most notably his 1928 baler feeder. He . . . — Map (db m48495) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Kinzer — Kinzer — Founded 1835
Gap-2 KINZER Named for Harry Kinzer Decendent of Huguenot Settlers Founded 1835 — Map (db m50426) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Abraham de Peyster
Abraham dePeyster Alderman of the City of New York 1685; Mayor of that City, 1691-95. Member of Earl Bellomont’s Council, 1698, Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court, 1698. Colonel Commanding, Regiment of Militia of City Trained Bands 1700 Chief . . . — Map (db m54368) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F.
To honor the members of Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F. Originally Company No. 3 Penna. National Guard * Captain Charles P. Starr, Commanding Officer Captains * John D. Boger   * Alfred F. Compton   * Grant B. Weaver   * William . . . — Map (db m54592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Andrew Ellicott — (1754 - 1820)
Surveyor, mathematician, astronomer. Secretary, Pennsylvania Land Office, 1801-08. In 1803, while living here, he taught Meriwether Lewis surveying and navigation skills. Helped survey & draw boundaries of New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. & . . . — Map (db m5171) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — At Rockford near here lived & died General Edward Hand, M.D.
Soldier of the Revolution, Adjutant General & friend of Washington. Born in Clydruff, Ireland. He first fought for British rights, then for American liberty. Lancaster County's Historical Society erected this tablet Sept. 20, A.D. 1912, to honor a . . . — Map (db m5231) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Bailey's Printshop
Francis Bailey, official printer to both the U.S. Congress and the Commonwealth, operated a printing office on this site from 1773 to 1780. Here, he produced many historic imprints including Thomas Paine's "Crisis No. 4." — Map (db m5159) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Captain Stephen Chambers — 1753 - 1789
Officer in Revolutionary War Delegate to the State Convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States trustee of Franklin College Worshipful Master of Lancaster Lodge No. 43 F. and AM Member of Lancaster Bar and . . . — Map (db m5208) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Central Market
The red brick market building directly before you is the oldest publicly owned, continually operated market in the United States, representing a Lancaster tradition since 1730. This building, which was constructed in 1889 by John Berger, is . . . — Map (db m5152) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Charles Demuth
Born in Lancaster, Nov. 8, 1883. Demuth achieved international fame for his precise modernist paintings including "My Egypt" and "I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold." He traveled in the U.S. and abroad but resided after 1889 in this house. Here he died in . . . — Map (db m5202) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonel Matthias Slough — 1733-1812
Officer in Revolutionary War Member of General Assembly Coroner who presided at inquest of Paxton Massacre Proprietor of White Swan Tavern Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5212) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonial Mansion
This house, of true Georgian style, was built about 1750. The ground was purchased by Thomas Poultney, merchant, in 1749, John Passmore, first mayor of Lancaster, occupied the house at one time. — Map (db m5226) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Conestoga Navigation Company
A slackwater canal between Lancaster and Safe Harbor, built following the company's incorporation in 1825, facilitated access to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and other ports. This canal's 18-mile course included nine sets of locks and dams; Lock No. 1 . . . — Map (db m5327) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Architecture
This one and a half story house is typical of the architecture during the period of early settlement of Lancaster, dating from 1730. Most of the local houses in 1800 were of this style. — Map (db m5168) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Transportation Routes
King Street Throughout Lancaster City's history, king Street has been a major throughfare between Philadelphia and points west. In 1733 work commenced on the King's Highway, now Route 340. This highway began at the square extended eastward on . . . — Map (db m5153) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Edward Shippen — 1703 - 1781
Chairman of Committee of Correspondence During American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster at time of Paxton Massacre Judge of the County Court One of Founders and a Trustee of Princeton University Grandfather of Peggy, wife of . . . — Map (db m5207) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 37 — First Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Congregation traces its origin to 1742. The first regular pastor was Rev. John D. Woodhull, Revolutionary patriot. First building completed here in 1770; present edifice dedicated 1851. James Buchanan, 15th President of the U.S., was a member. — Map (db m122389) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — First Reformed Church
Congregation of German, Swiss, and French settlers was formed about 1729. Log church here, Lancaster's first, 1736. Stone building, 1753; brick church, 1854. Rev. Philip Otterbein, Rev. William Hendel, Dr. Henry Harbaugh were eminent pastors. — Map (db m5205) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg
Sacred to the memory of Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg who was born on the 1st day of January, 1750 and departed this life on the 4th day of June, 1801 Aged 51 years, 5 months and 5 days ------------------------------ Lutheran Pastor in Colonial . . . — Map (db m54382) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Fulton Opera House
Built in 1852 and named Fulton Hall in honor of Robert Fulton. It is considered an excellent example of the 19th century "Opera House." For more than 75 years, every major star of the American theatre appeared on its stage. — Map (db m5170) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — General Edward Hand — 1744 - 1802
Lancaster's leading soldier During Revolutionary War Friend and Companion-in-Arms of Gen. George Washington Member of Continental Congress Chief Burgess of Lancaster Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Rock Ford his Lancaster . . . — Map (db m5211) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — George Ross
Soldier, ardent patriot, jurist, and a Signer of the Declaration of Independence, settled at Lancaster about 1751. Site of his country house, now marked by monument, is on Ross Street, nine blocks north. Died, 1779. — Map (db m5227) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B.
Here rest the bones of Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B. who, as a true shepherd, tended this congregation with the Gospel of Christ for 35 years. His spirit joyfully escaped its shell, which collapsed here on the 23rd of May, 1815, in . . . — Map (db m54386) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Grape Hotel
The site of Col Adam Riegart's Grape Hotel the meeting place of numerous revolutionary groups and committees and notable among colonial hostelries as a center of the spirit of independence in Lancaster County — Map (db m53457) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Henry Hess Landis Farm
Isaac C. Landis (1843-1931) established this farmstead around 1870 on a 52-acre parcel. It consisted primarily of the wooden frame house in front of you and a medium-size barn, both painted red. In 1908, the barn burned down and he had it rebuilt. . . . — Map (db m84452) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Historic Site in Journalism
Lancaster Newspapers, published on this site of Francis Bailey's colonial printshop, trace their roots to the Lancaster Journal of 1794. the Journal was published and edited by William Hamilton and Henry Willcocks. It merged with the Intelligencer, . . . — Map (db m5160) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Founded in 1730. a session for an Indian treaty was held in the original church building in 1762. The present edifice was dedicated in 1766. Here are interred the remains of Thomas Wharton (1778) and Gov. Thomas Mifflin (1800). — Map (db m5124) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Home Site of Col. William Henry — 1729 - 1786
Prominent patriot Master rifle maker Enterprising and successful experimenter in steam navigation — Map (db m5156) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Isaac Long Barn
The United Brethren in Christ, and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, trace their origin to the joint efforts of Rev. Philip w. Otterbein of the German Reformed Church and Martin Boehm, a Mennonite preacher, as a revival held here about 1767. . . . — Map (db m8267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Lawyer, statesman, diplomat, and fifteenth President of United States, lies buried in this cemetery, about 350 yards southeast. His home, Wheatland, located on Marietta Avenue, is marked with a bronze tablet. — Map (db m5117) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
President of the United States 1857 – 1861 Given in memory by Dulon F. Buchmiller — Map (db m54356) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Fifteenth President of the United States, lies buried at Woodward Hill Cemetery located five blocks to the south on Queen Street. — Map (db m84451) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan Home
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department . . . — Map (db m54353) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hale Steinman, A.B., LL. B., LL.D.
October 22, 1886 - December 31, 1962 Graduate of the Yeates School, The Hotchkiss School, Yale University University of Pennsylvania School of Law President and publisher of Lancaster newspapers Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing . . . — Map (db m5163) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hazlett Binns
1912 - 1985 Industrialist • Patriot • Humanitarian • Mentor He rose from sales trainee to become president and chairman of Armstrong World Industries, a director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and chairman of the National Association of . . . — Map (db m5324) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Tilden Sheckard — 1878 – 1947
Dedicated to the memory of James Tilden Sheckard 1878 – 1947 the Lancaster County boy who starred on the Baltimore Orioles the Brooklyn Dodgers and the famous Champion Chicago Cubs of 1906-1910 to become one of the great outfielders of all . . . — Map (db m54364) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Jasper Yeates — 1746 - 1817
Member of Committee of Correspondence During Revolution Judge of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Delegate to the State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Man for Whom Yeates School was named . . . — Map (db m5209) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Durang
. . . — Map (db m122422) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Durang — (1768 - 1822)
The first American-born professional stage performer, Durang gained fame as a dancer, actor, clown, musician, acrobat, choreographer, and puppeteer. Born in Lancaster near here, he performed in the northeastern US, eventually founding his own . . . — Map (db m122423) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John F. Reynolds — (1820-1863)
Major General in the Union Army during the Civil War. He played a key role in committing the Army of the Potomac to the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863. He was killed early on the first day. Buried in Lancaster Cemetery, he was born and resided . . . — Map (db m84450) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Frederick Steinman, Ph. B., LL. D.
August 21, 1884 - December 23, 1980 Graduate of the Yeates School, the Hotchkiss School, and Yale University Publisher and chairman of the board of Lancaster Newspapers, Inc. Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing Company Co-founder . . . — Map (db m5162) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Fulton Reynolds
Colonel of the Fifth Infantry, U.S. Army Major General of Volunteers Born September 21, 1820 Killed at the Battle of Gettysburg while commanding the Left Wing of the Army of the Potomac July 1, 1863 Erected by Independent Battery I Pa. Light . . . — Map (db m54370) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Joseph Simon — (1712 - 1804)
Jewish pioneer and merchant, Simon played a significant role in the development of central and western PA. He participated in expeditions as far as the Mississippi and helped establish Lancaster as a center for exploration, trade & settlement. . . . — Map (db m5119) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster City
Penn Square Since its establishment in 1730, Lancaster City has been a bustling, vibrant community with a rich history. Founded by James Hamilton, an English businessman, the city was designed to be the county seat, with a Courthouse placed in . . . — Map (db m5201) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County
Formed on May 10, 1729 out of Chester County. Named for Lancashire in England. County seat, Lancaster, was chartered a borough in 1742; a city in 1818. It was the State capital, 1799-1812. County is noted for its rich farmland and ethnic diversity. — Map (db m5203) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Landis Graveyard

Herein lie the remains of the following who were interred here in the past

(front) Anna Binkley 1783-1847 • Barbara Hershey 1769-1828 Johannes Eby 1800-1822 • C. H. -1771 A. F. -1822 • E. H. -1771 Anna Stibges Frank . . . — Map (db m126339) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Leo F. Hauck — 1888 – 1950
Memorial to Leo F. Hauck 1888 – 1950 In an era of top middleweight and light heavyweight boxers, 1905 – 1920, Leo Hauck rose through them all to become “Uncrowned Middleweight Champion of the World.” Always a clean . . . — Map (db m54366) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Major John Light — 1755-1834
Served throughout the Revolutionary War Fought in Battles of Lake Champlain Princeton and Yorktown Chief Burgess of Lancaster Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5213) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Mathias Roeser
Here from 1740 to 1771 lived one of colonial America's most important gunsmiths. His work was central to development of the Pennsylvania rifle. Other family members and an apprentice, William Henry, Sr., became leading gunsmiths & supplied arms to . . . — Map (db m5167) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Military Stables and Barracks
This long building was used as military stables during the Revolution. On opposite side of street, stood the Barracks where British and Hessians were imprisoned during that period. — Map (db m5122) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Monument to John Wise

Famous pioneer aeronaut of America, who was born in Lancaster in 1808 and lived most of his life near this spot. Beginning in 1835 he completed, from many towns, 462 balloon ascensions during his lifetime. John Wise lies in . . . — Map (db m126335) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Center Square (Penn Square)
Indian wigwams, a hickory tree, and a spring - that was old center square "Hickory Town" prior to 1730. In that year, however, significant changes occurred as Andrew and James Hamilton laid out Lancaster Townstead with an open square. Streets . . . — Map (db m5151) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Courthouse
In 1739, the small brick courthouse of old Lancaster, one of the first in America, was completed. The two story courthouse was constructed in the center of the square and provided a courtroom on the first floor, and a council chamber and small . . . — Map (db m5134) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Jail
The Lancaster jail was located a half block to the north from 1753 to 1851. The last remaining Conestoga Indians were held here in protective custody in 1763. They were killed by a vigilante group, the Paxton Boys. No arrests were made. — Map (db m122635) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Patriots of St. James Church
In honor of members of St. James’ Church who served America during the time of the Revolution •     •     • George Ross Signer of the Declaration of Independence •     •     • Major General Edward Hand Friend and companion in arms of General George . . . — Map (db m54381) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Medical Society
Founded April 11, 1848, at the First Methodist Episcopal Church on this site. Its purpose was to foster the advancement of medical knowledge, relieve suffering and promote the health of the community. Samuel Humes, M.D., of Lancaster was the first . . . — Map (db m5206) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Rifle
Misnamed Kentucky Rifle, this famous weapon of the frontier was developed in the 1700's at Lancaster, which was the center for its manufacture — Map (db m84447) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Privy
      Built in 1828, the privy is one of the three original buildings left on the estate. Privies were in use here until the late 1800’s, when an interior bathroom was added to the mansion. Interesting to note the symmetrical arrangement with the . . . — Map (db m54395) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Revolutionary War Stables
. . . — Map (db m54387) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Reynolds House
Birthplace and residence of Major General John F. Reynolds of the Army of the Potomac. Killed on the morning of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, his body lies buried in Lancaster Cemetery. — Map (db m5165) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Robert Coleman — 1749 - 1825
Associate Judge of Lancaster County Member of Legislature Delegate to State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Ironmaster of Lancaster County Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Father of Ann - Buried . . . — Map (db m5210) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Rock Ford
Name of Colonial mansion of Edward Hand. Adjutant General of the Continental Army, and notable Lancaster physician. George Washington was entertained here in 1791. The old mansion is about a half mile to the southeast. — Map (db m5229) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ruamie Hill Binns
1914 - 2002 Civic Leader • Volunteer • Philanthropist • Friend She shared her talents and her spirit with Lancaster for six decades, including leadership roles in family and children's services, the Junior League, the Community Chest, the . . . — Map (db m5323) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — S. Dale Kaufman — (1911 - 1977)
S. Dale Kaufman, senior partner in the architectural firm of Haak, Kaufman, Reese and Beers, was the principle architect in the nationally recognized restoration of this market which captured the 1976 H.U.D. honor award for design excellence. A . . . — Map (db m5157) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Sgt Joseph E Jackson
To the children in memory of Sgt Joseph E Jackson. Far away in an alien land he found not only a war but children. Children the same as those he knew at home friendly smiling and eager for knowledge. — Map (db m53458) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Shippen House
Site of house occupied 1751-1781, by Edward Shippen; lawyer, judge, Chairman Committee of Observation, and grand-father of Peggy Shippen Arnold. An earlier occupant was Thomas Cookson, first Burgess of Lancaster Borough. — Map (db m31893) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Simon Snyder
Born, 1759, on this site. Governor of Pennsylvania for three terms, 1808-17. His strong appeal for a call to arms, and defense of sound currency, during War of 1812, are noteworthy. Died in 1819 at Selinsgrove. — Map (db m5120) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Site of Conestoga Indian Massacre — December 27, 1763
Site of Conestoga Indian Massacre December 27, 1763 — Map (db m122636) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Smokehouse / Icehouse
      One of the three buildings constructed in 1828, this west dependency appears to have been a combination smokehouse / icehouse when it was originally built. Located a convenient distance from the basement kitchen, it is built of brick, wood, . . . — Map (db m54399) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Directly before you in the square stands the soldiers and sailors monument, erected in 1874 by the Lancaster County Monumental Association to honor the brave men and women of Lancaster County who died to save the Union during the Civil War. The . . . — Map (db m5129) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — St. James' Church (Episcopal)
Founded 1744. Original structure built 1746-53; this building begun 1820. George Ross, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was vestryman. Buried here are the patriots Edward Shippen, William Atlee, Edward Hand, and Jasper Yeates. — Map (db m5204) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Stevens Grave & Memorial — Shreiner-Concord Cemetery
Stevens Grave & Memorial Burial place of a true American hero ---------------- Thaddeus StevensLancaster County’s U.S. Representative was the most powerful congressman during the Civil War and early Reconstruction. He was a master . . . — Map (db m54598) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thaddeus Stevens
Lawyer, congressman, defender of free public schools, abolitionist, lies buried in the rear of this cemetery. He believed in the "Equality of man before his Creator." Resided in Lancaster from 1842 until his death, 1868. — Map (db m5228) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Evangelic Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity
Earliest Congregation in Lancaster Organized 1730 Fostered six other city congregations ————•———— First church erected 1734 Present building begun in 1761 Dedicated in 1766 by Henry Melchior . . . — Map (db m54654) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Rev. Thomas Barton
Memorial Stone to The Rev. Thomas Barton 1730 – 1780 British Missionary who served for 19 years with distinction as third rector of St. James Church 1759-1778. True to his ordination vows, he remained loyal to the Crown during the American . . . — Map (db m54377) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Water Towers in Buchanan Park
Near this site stood two water towers that for approximately seventy years were part of Lancaster’s skyline. In the early twentieth century the Conestoga River was the sole source of public water in the city. As the west end grew, distance from the . . . — Map (db m54369) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Mifflin, Esq.
Signer of the Constitution of the United States of America Erected by General Thomas Mifflin Chapter Mifflintown, Juniata County, Pennsylvania Daughters of the American Revolution 1987 < Upper Marker : > In perpetuation of the memory of . . . — Map (db m54653) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Wharton, Jr.
In memoriam Thomas Wharton, Jr. First President of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Captain General and Commander-in-Chief in and over the same on March 5, 1777 Died in Office, greatly lamented May 23, 1778. At . . . — Map (db m54657) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine < Rear Marker : > 1898 – 1902       Erected by General Wm. S. McCaskey Camp United Spanish . . . — Map (db m54400) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
Home of President James Buchanan from 1849 to his death is a few blocks away. Statesman and diplomat, as Member of Congress, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State and Minister to England. Elected President in 1856. — Map (db m5232) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
The home of James Buchanan, statesman, diplomat and the fifteenth President of the United States (1857 -61), is located on Marietta Avenue, seven blocks south. Buchanan maintained Wheatland as his home from 1848 until he died there on June 1, 1868. — Map (db m122630) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — William Augustus Atlee — 1735-1793
Chairman of Committee of Safety during American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster Judge of first Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church — Map (db m5214) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Witmer's Tavern
One of the best surviving structures of its type. Original east end built about 1725 by Benjamin Witmer, agent for the London Land Company. Passed on to his son, tavern-keeper John Witmer. Enlarged by Henry Witmer, 1773. Family was prominent in many . . . — Map (db m8269) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — World War I Memorial — Spirit of the American Doughboy
Dedicated to The men and women of the Seventh Ward Lancaster, PA. who by their patriotism courage and devotion helped win The World War 1914 - 1918 for humanity, liberty and righteousness erected by the Citizens of the . . . — Map (db m66429) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — "Steps of Progress"

These "Steps of Progress" to the Lititz Boy Scout Pavilion were provided and built by Boy Scout Ryan Haines of Lititz Boy Scout Troop 142 as his Eagle Scout Project — Map (db m126240) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — 1895 Drinking Fountain

This fountain was part of the lower piece of one of the three original gas lights that were located at the "Roebuck Memorial Fountain," in Lititz, which was dedicated October 3, 1895. It was saved and has since been rebuilt and placed . . . — Map (db m126231) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — An Icon of Lititz Springs Park

The lion's head has been a prominent icon to Lititz Springs Park since 1857. In addition to its beautiful stream, its shaded walkways and its well-kept natural environment, Lititz Springs Park was enhanced by an elegant carving of a lion's head . . . — Map (db m126238) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Arched Bridge

In 1856 sandstone from the Furnace Hills north of Lititz was brought to the park grounds by horse and cart and used as coping around the head-end of the Springs. This stone coping continued eastward to prevent the stream from overflowing and . . . — Map (db m126280) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Beck Memorial Band Shell

Built in 1937, the "Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell" has hosted many musical venues and notable celebrations, including the crowning of the Queen of Candles, the highlight of the 4th of July festivities in the park since . . . — Map (db m126283) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Building of the Lititz Freight Station in 1921

In 1884, the Lititz Moravian Congregation, who owned Lititz Springs Park, entered into a ninety-nine year lease with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for the location of a new Passenger Depot & Express Station to be built on Park . . . — Map (db m126227) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Elmer Holmes Bobst
His generosity interest in human welfare and love for Lititz, his boyhood home, made possible the restoration and development of this park. Established in 1843 by the Moravian Congregation, the park was given to the community of Lititz in 1956. — Map (db m5318) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Grateful Recognition to All Veterans
who preserved the freedom won by America's first veterans that are buried here. 1776 - 1999 — Map (db m5269) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Memory of 110 Soldiers of the Continental Army
Who died in the Lititz Military Hospital between December 19, 1777 and August 28, 1778 and are buried here. — Map (db m5268) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army
who died in this building when it was used by order of General Washington as a military hospital from Dec. 19, 1777 to Aug. 28, 1778. This tablet is erected by the Lititz Moravian Congregation of the 450 men quartered here, there died 120, of whom . . . — Map (db m5273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — John A. Sutter
In the cemetery opposite is buried the California pioneer. Founder of Sacramento, 1839. Gold was discovered on his lands, 1848. Ruined by the gold rush, he made Lititz his home from 1871 until death, 1880. — Map (db m5264) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — John Augustus Sutter Memorial
Dedicated by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce in memory of John Augustus Sutter who founded California's capital, the City of Sacramento August 12, 1839. The fort which he established is today a shrine containing historical relics of the gold rush . . . — Map (db m81796) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — July 4th Candle Illuminations

The first candle illumination in the Lititz Springs Park was held July 4, 1843 when 400 candles were lit to celebrate America's Independence. This long-held tradition was begun to honor a Christmas Eve Moravian custom of lighting a candle to . . . — Map (db m126276) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Last Memorial Day Encampment

On Memorial Day, May 31, 1920, members of Stevens Post No. 517 of The Grand Army of the Republic met on the Lititz Springs grounds for the last time. In recognition of their fallen comrades, the 15 remaining local Civil War Veterans set up . . . — Map (db m126281) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Linden Hall
Oldest girls' resident school in the United States. Founded in 1746 by the Moravian Church. Originally a day school, it has since 1794 drawn boarding students from a wide area. The school was chartered under its present name in 1863. — Map (db m5265) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz
Settled during 1740's, Moravians established here a "land Gemeine," or country congregation in 1756. It was named by Count Zinzendorf after a Bohemian town which sheltered persecuted Moravians in 1456. — Map (db m5317) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Boy Scout Cabin — 1927 - 2012

October, 1927, Lititz Boy Scout Troops 2 and 3 opened the doors of the new log cabin which they built representing the early log cabins built by our early American pioneers. Because of their interest in the great outdoors, the scouts received . . . — Map (db m126272) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Caboose Museum

The Lititz Caboose was purchased by the Lititz Springs Park Board Caboose Committee in 2000. This rail car was restored by Gerhart Machinery Company of Lititz and dedicated July 1, 2001. The Caboose Museum is a complimentary companion to the . . . — Map (db m126190) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Moravian Congregation
1749 - 250th Anniversary - 1999 In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things love. The Warwick Gemeinhaus was consecrated February 9, 1749. This date serves as the founding date for the Warwick Congregation, which on August . . . — Map (db m5271) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Springs Park Entrance Gates

The first entrance to Lititz Springs Park was a small walking path leading off of Maple Street opposite the old brewery. In 1844 a new visitor entrance to the Park was opened at Broad Street. It was located on the south side of the Lititz . . . — Map (db m126234) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Springs Park Historical Markers

The nine markers placed throughout the Park are both a memorial to "Sketch" Mearig, and also an educational platform of the history of Lititz Springs Park.

Robert "Sketch" Mearig was born in Lititz in 1923. He spent many childhood days . . . — Map (db m126232) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Moravian Gemeinhaus
Built in 1746 by the Moravians as Church, Parsonage, and School. It stood 125 yards to the north on the elevation on this side of Carter's Run. — Map (db m5266) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Music Pavilion

On July 4, 1906 a Music Pavilion was dedicated to accommodate Beck's Concert Band, a well respected band in Lititz. An octagonal shaped, gazebo style bandstand with latticed sides, designed by Paul E. Beck, Band Director, was built in the area . . . — Map (db m126236) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — On This Site in 1861 Julius Sturgis — The oldest commercial pretzel bakery in the United States
Established the first pretzel bakery in the New World. This tablet dedicated by The National Pretzel Bakers Institute May 1951 Alex V. Tisdale, Pres. — Map (db m90834) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell

Dedicated to the memory of Paul E. Beck 1871 - 1934 Lititz Bandmaster and Teacher of Music, Art and Literature

September 2, 1937 . . . — Map (db m126285) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Revolutionary War Memorial 1930 Veterans Memorial 1999
On this site are interred the remains of 110 soldiers from General Washington's Continental Army. Wounded at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown, these soldiers were transported to Lititz between December 1777 and August 1778. Hospitalized in . . . — Map (db m5267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Round House

The Round House is thought to have originally been built as a grandstand on the grounds of the Warwick Racing Track located northeast of Lititz. It was dismantled and reconstructed on its present site in the early months of 1880.

The Round . . . — Map (db m126235) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Springs Head-End

In 1855 the steep bank around the spring head was contoured. Three springs were uncovered flowing from caves to the west. From the bubbling spring, water gracefully flows eastward and is the source of the Lititz Run stream. The clear, limestone . . . — Map (db m126237) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Heritage Center
Dedicated in 1971 Moravian Church Square Established in 1757 In memory of the many men and women of past and present generations who served faithfully in the Moravian Congregation to make our heritage possible. — Map (db m5274) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Importance of Conversation

On this site in the 1940s, a young R. Ronald Reedy and his uncle would sit on a bench and watch railroad workers and engineers switch the freight cars bound for Wilbur Chocolate and the nearby lumber yard. And, at certain times throughout the . . . — Map (db m126228) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Lititz Pharmacopoeia
For the use of Medical Department of the "Army of the Federated States of America," was compiled by Physician-General William Brown in Lititz, and published in Philadelphia, in 1778. It was the first American Formulary and a pioneer effort at the . . . — Map (db m5272) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated in honor of all those who served honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States of America ☆ ☆ ☆ — Map (db m126193) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Baron Stiegel
The famed glassmaker and ironmaster of colonial days founded Manheim in 1762, and set up his glassworks in 1764. He gave land for the Lutheran Church which still pays his heirs one red rose a year. — Map (db m5321) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Heintzelman House
Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman, September 30, 1805. A veteran of the Mexican War and the Civil War, he died May 1, 1880, at Washington, D.C., and was buried at Buffalo, N.Y. — Map (db m12457) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Mount Hope Estate & Grubb Mansion
Mount Hope Estate Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1980 — Map (db m54827) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Stiegel Glass Manufactory
On this site, from 1763 to 1774, "Baron" Henry William Stiegel made the glass for which he is famous. Erected in 1763, the building was torn down in 1813. — Map (db m5320) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — Honor Roll
Proudly we pay tribute to the men and women of East Donegal Township who answered the call to colors in World War II. List of Names — Map (db m5725) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — In honor of those who served in the World War
1917 1918 From the Maytown District of East Donegal Township Barnhart, William H. • Brandt, Harry • Brandt, Mervin W. • Clepper, Albert B. • Davis, Earl C. • Davis, James • Demmy, Oliver H. • Derr, Albert B. • Eshleman, Robert H. • Farmer, . . . — Map (db m5730) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — In honor of those who served our country in Korea & Vietnam
In honor of those who served our country in Korea June 25, 1950 Jan 31, 1955 In Vietnam Dec. 22, 1961 May 7, 1975 — Map (db m5723) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — Simon Cameron
Noted leader in state and national politics, statesman, diplomat, member of Lincoln's cabinet, U.S. Senator. Was born, 1799, in a log house that stood on this site. Died in 1889 at Donegal Springs. — Map (db m5721) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Millersville — Millersville University
Founder 1855 as the Lancaster County Normal School, it was named the first Pennsylvania State Normal School, 1859. Fully Commonwealth-owned after 1917, Millersville became a State Teachers College in 1928, and a State College for liberal arts and . . . — Map (db m5326) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Millway — Keller's Mill Bridge — The Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, PA

A New Home for the White Bridge

White is an unusual color for covered bridges in Lancaster County. In fact, this bridge is the only one of the county's covered bridges that is not painted red.

This same bridge once spanned . . . — Map (db m126296) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mount. Joy — Early Telegraph
First commercial telegraph line in the U.S. ran along this railroad right-of-way. Completed from Lancaster to Harrisburg, 1845. The first message, "Why don't you write, you rascals?", was received, Jan. 8, 1846. — Map (db m5719) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — Donegal Presbyterian Church
Gateway Panel 1 Founded prior to 1721-Gateway erected by the Donegal Society in honor of it's World War Veterans.

Gateway Panel 2 In memory of the Sons of the Donegal Society who gave their lives in the World War 1914-1918 . . . — Map (db m84439) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — 199 — Donegal Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded prior to 1721 by settlers from the north of Ireland First Church built of logs Present building erected in 1740 patent granted by John Thomas and Richard Penn June 4, 1740. Presbytery of Donegal organized in this church October 11, . . . — Map (db m122388) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — The Witness Tree — Donegal Presbyterian Church
On this sacred spot for 260 years stood the majestic white oak tree known as the Witness Tree. Despite preservation efforts, the tree succumbed to old age and was solemnly removed on June 3, 1991. Its memory symbolizes the patriotism and love of . . . — Map (db m84446) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — The Witness Tree Monument — Donegal Presbyterian Church
Beneath this Witness Tree a new born patriotism found notable expression

On a Sunday morning in September 1777 an express rider came to tell the congregation of Donegal Church that the British army under Lord Howe had left New York to invade . . . — Map (db m84483) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Paradise — Leaman Place Bridge (1893) — Pequea #4
Prior to the construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad only Henry Leaman's small farmhouse stood near here. In 1835, Mr. Leaman built a hotel and soon after a railroad station was established. A small village gradually sprung up and by the 1880s . . . — Map (db m122598) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Peach Bottom — Robert Fulton Birthplace
The inventor and painter was born here Nov. 14, 1765. Famous for his steamboat "Clermont", he also invented canal machinery, a "diving boat", and torpedoes. — Map (db m5236) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Pequea — Big Cut, Big Fill — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Providence Township
No other section of the eastern A&S more fully demonstrated the Pennsylvania Railroad's (PRR) commitment to re-shape the landscape for an optimum freight road than its seven miles through Providence Township. The gentle compound curve (on paper) . . . — Map (db m122699) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Pequea — Servicing a Freight Road — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Martic Township
Finding a strategic location for servicing the freight route was a challenge for the PRR as the A&S headed west over the deep valley of Pequea Creek (upper left image) toward the Susquehanna River. Facilities were created by carving a wider . . . — Map (db m122695) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — A Job on the A & S — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Eden Township
Unlike routes that served passengers and local freight customers, the A&S required relatively few staffed facilities. Westward from Atglen, the A&S was desolate, compared to the main line's string of frequent village stops. Constructed after the . . . — Map (db m122698) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — A Stream for Steam — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Bart Township
Of all the resources required for operation of the A&S, none was more deceptively vital than water. From its inception under steam locomotion, the A&S was quietly sustained by the vast water resources it continually crossed. Previous droughts and . . . — Map (db m122696) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — Drumore Township Illustrious Americans
This marker perpetuates the memories of four illustrious Americans who were identified with this part of Drumore Township. Erected by The Historical Commission of Pennsylvania and the Lancaster County Historical Society. . . . — Map (db m122638) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township Korean War Memorial
To Those Who Served During The Korean Conflict June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955 Jay T. Bare [Killed in Action] [Honor Roll of Names] Memorial Erected May 1999 — Map (db m39280) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township Vietnam War Memorial
To Those Who Served During the Vietnam Conflict December 22, 1961 - May 7, 1975 John Edwards [KIA] James E. Hunsicker [MIA] Randy L. Johnston [KIA] Dervin J. Keisling [KIA] Ronald E. Meckley [KIA] Barry L. Moyer [KIA] James H. . . . — Map (db m39281) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township World War II Memorial
In everlasting tribute to the honor and glory achieved by the brave men and women of East Cocalico Township who served their country in World War II 1941-1945 [Following men died in service] Harry Bates Benjamin Firestone . . . — Map (db m39283) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Memorial Park of Reamstown
Honoring all East Cocalico Township veterans who proudly served their country during times of emergency — Map (db m39284) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Pioneer Settler / Founder of Reamstown
Pioneer Settler Johann Eberhard Ream, born in Leimen, Germany on October 6, 1687 came to America with his family in 1717. They were the first white people in this area, having arrived here in 1723 or 4. He received two grants of land, 389 . . . — Map (db m39274) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Reamstown — 1760 - 2010
Settled around 1724 by Everhard Ream and founded as a town by his son Tobias Ream in 1760, originally called Zoar. In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, a field hospital was set up here for wounded soldiers from the Battle of Brandwine, some of . . . — Map (db m39273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — The American Indian and the American Soldier
This grinding bowl from East Cocalico is placed to commemorate its maker, The American Indian and the boulder, three other local figures, who lived abreast of the loftier traditions of their time, light and race: The Soldier of . . . — Map (db m22440) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Leacock Presbyterian Church
Leacock Presbyterian Church First services held in log church 1724 Recognized by Synod 1741 — Map (db m67151) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Rothsville — Cpl Gerald L. Habecker

In memory of Cpl Gerald L. Habecker who died Jan. 21, 1969 in unselfish service to his country Dedicated Aug. 13, 1972 — Map (db m126292) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Lehigh Valley No. 40 — 1951
The RDC: In 1949, the Budd Company began development of a new lightweight, self-propelled diesel rail car for use in local and branchline passenger service at the request of the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad. The resulting . . . — Map (db m19963) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Monongahela Railway No. 67 — 1949
The Monongahela: The Monongahela Railroad, incorporated on December 31, 1900, was a jointly owned venture by the Pennsylvania and Pittsburg and Lake Erie railroads to tap the rich coal fields south of Pittsburgh. The Monongahela funneled coal . . . — Map (db m19964) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 3750 — 1920
The Success of the K4s Locomotive: Perpetually searching for more powerful and efficient locomotives, the Pennsylvania Railroad introduced its new standard passenger power in 1914. The K4s Pacific blended the best attributes of other successful . . . — Map (db m19955) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 460 — 1914
The "E6" Class: The introduction of steel passenger trains on the Pennsylvania at the turn of the twentieth century created a need for a more powerful passenger locomotive. While most roads had begun building larger Pacific (4-6-2) type . . . — Map (db m19913) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755 — 1930
The "Mountain" Class: The "Mountain" type of locomotive (4-8-2) first appeared on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1911. These locomotives excelled at hauling heavy freight trains at high speeds. The Pennsylvania Railroad adopted the M1 design . . . — Map (db m19916) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688 — 1915
A Standard Freight Locomotive: With more than 3000 Consolidations on the roster by 1907, the 2-8-0 was clearly the Pennsylvania's locomotive of choice for freight service. Despite the success of current designs, the railroad continuously strove . . . — Map (db m19957) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Pittsburgh and Lake Erie No. 508 — 1950
The Little Giant: The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, established in 1875, connected the steel centers of Conellsville, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown, Ohio. Only 120 miles long, the P&LE served most of the major industries in the region, . . . — Map (db m19960) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Reading Observation No. 1 — 1937
Builder: Budd Company, Red Lion, PA Build Date: 1937 Retirement Date: 1982 Number Built: 2 Weight: 97,000 lbs. Length: 85 ft. PHMC Cat No. RR78.52 The Crusader: As the nation pulled itself out of the Great Depression, the Reading Company . . . — Map (db m19967) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Strasburg Rail Road
Established in 1832 in response to the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad's bypass of Strasburg, it remains the oldest American railroad operating under its original charter. Local railroad enthusiasts saved it from abandonment in 1958 and developed . . . — Map (db m55518) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Great Minqua Path
This was the chief trail used by the Minqua (Susquehannock) Indians to carry great wealth in beaver skins to the white settlements on the Delaware during the mid-seventeenth century. The Swedes, Dutch and English warred for the control of this trade. — Map (db m5765) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Martin Chartier
- Died 1718 - Noted indian trader and interpreter in early Pennsylvania and Maryland Frenchman from Canada who resided at Fort St. Louis of the Sieur de la Salle in present Illinois, 1684-1690 A leader thence of the Shawnee Indians . . . — Map (db m5763) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Washington Boro Archaeological Sites
This area contains one of the highest concentrations of archaeological sites in Pennsylvania. The sites range from small camps to large villages and cover 11,000 years of Native American culture. the largest villages were built by the Susquehannocks . . . — Map (db m5764) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Birthplace of the Pennsylvania Rifle
Martin Meylin, 1670–1749, gunsmith of Switzerland settled here in the Pequea Valley in 1710 and made in this gun shop the earliest known Pennsylvania or so called Kentucky Rifle. He was the first of a group of Lancaster County rifle . . . — Map (db m5354) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Blacksmith Shop
This building exemplifies the blacksmith shops that existed in all early communities. These shops were always an important part of local agricultural and community development. This shop is built in the exact dimensions of what is known as the . . . — Map (db m67149) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Boehm's Chapel
Built 1791, this "Temple of Limestone" is the oldest existing structure designed for Methodist use in Pennsylvania, and one of the oldest in the U.S. Erected on land formerly owned by Bishop Martin Boehm, co-founder of the United Brethren in Christ, . . . — Map (db m5114) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Founded 1791 Boehms Chapel
Boehm's Chapel is the fourth oldest existing structure built for Methodist worship in America. It was erected on land donated by the Rev. Martin Boehm, an itinerant preacher and co-founder with the Rev. Phillip W. Otterbein of the United Brethren in . . . — Map (db m5115) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Heine Weber Smokehouse
This smokehouse was removed from the site of the "Heine" Weber homestead in the historic Weaverland Valley. The house and barn on the Weber homestead were built in the early 1760s, and this building appears to be of the same period. The roof . . . — Map (db m67250) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Herr House
Three quarters of a mile south on the side road is the stone house built in 1719 by Christian Herr, son of Hans Herr, founder, in 1710, of the first Mennonite community in this area. It is the oldest building this far west in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m5234) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Martin Meylin’s Gunshop
Old gunshop, built in 1719, is located about one mile northeast. Here, before 1745 the earliest known Pennsylvania Rifle, misnamed Kentucky Rifle, was made. building is marked with a tablet. — Map (db m5116) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Millstones
These millstones stand in silent testimony to the importance of milling in Lancaster County. The first mill was built only a few years after the Mennonites arrived in 1710. Vital to agriculture, the mills increased in number to over 200 by 1839. . . . — Map (db m67150) HM

194 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.