Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lancaster County Virginia Historical Markers

 
White Marsh Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, September 5, 2009
White Marsh Church Marker
Virginia (Lancaster County), Brook Vale — J-83 — White Marsh Church
This church, founded in 1792, was the mother church of Methodism in the Northern Neck of Virginia. The first camp meeting in this section was held here. Bishops Enoch George and David S. Doggett were members of this church. Bishop Joshua Soule, . . . — Map (db m24175) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Farnham — Z-3 — Lancaster County / Richmond CountyArea 130 Square Miles / Area 204 Square Miles
Lancaster County. Area 130 square miles. Formed in 1652, and named for Lancaster, England. Ancient Christ Church and Epping Forest, birthplace of Washington’s Mother, are in this county. Richmond County. Area 204 square miles. Formed in . . . — Map (db m23607) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Irvington — Irvington World War I Memorial
To our departed comrades who served their country during the Great World War Fred D. Mason Died in Germany Aug. 20, 1921 Robert H. Barker Died in Service Nov. 14, 1918 A separate bronze plaque reads: Rebuilt in May 1988 . . . — Map (db m39948) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-88 — Ditchley and Cobbs
Ditchley, five miles northeast, was patented in 1651 by Colonel Richard Lee. The first house dated from 1687, the present house was built by Kendall Lee in 1752. Cobbs Hall, near by, was acquired by Richard Lee, probably before 1651. A house . . . — Map (db m24475) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-108 — Dr. Morgan E. Norris(c. 1883-1966)
Dr. Morgan E. Norris, a Lancaster native and the Northern Neck’s first black physician, practiced medicine at this site 1917-1964. He opened to all races specialty surgical clinics, bringing enhanced medical care to the lower Northern Neck. In 1928 . . . — Map (db m97210) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-89 — First American Woman Missionary to China
Here was born, October 28, 1817, Henrietta Hall (daughter of Colonel Addison Hall), first American woman missionary to China. She married Rev. J. Lewis Shuck, and was sent with him to China by the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions, arriving there in . . . — Map (db m24248) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve204 Acres
Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve is situated on a small peninsula on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The preserve contains tidal and non-tidal wetlands, and exemplary undeveloped beach and low dunes, and upland forest communities. It is . . . — Map (db m97241) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Jessie Ball duPont(1884-1970)
Well known for her contributions to this area of Virginia, Jessie Ball duPont (nee Jessie Dew Ball) was born on Ball family property about one mile north of Hughlett Point. Schoolteacher She was the first teacher at Shiloh School in . . . — Map (db m97240) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-104 — Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock was called “the Crossroads” about 1664, because multiple thoroughfares crossed here. By the middle of the 18th century, the community was named Steptoe’s Ordinary for a storehouse and tavern owned by William Steptoe I. About . . . — Map (db m24218) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Shiloh School1906-1929
National Registry of Historical Places — Map (db m97243)
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lancaster — J-90 — Barford
Located one mile south on land lying between the eastern and western branches of the Corotoman River. It is the site of Barford, the dwelling of Captain Thomas Carter who was living there by 1674. A gift from his father-in-law, Edward Dale, the . . . — Map (db m24174) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lancaster — J-80 — Birthplace of Washington’s Mother
Seven tenths mile west is Epping Forest. The land was patented by Colonel Joseph Ball, who died there in 1711. His daughter, Mary Ball, mother of George Washington, was born there in 1707/8. The house incorporates parts of the original structure. — Map (db m23764) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lancaster — J-106 — Major Edward Dale
Major Edward and his wife, Diana Skipwith Dale, were among the earliest settlers in Lancaster County. They lived nearby on surrounding land, as part of a 350-acre plantation purchased from William and Jane Clappam in Dec. 1664. Between 1653 and . . . — Map (db m97204) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lancaster — St. Mary’s WhitechapelEpiscopal Church
Welcome to St. Mary’s Whitechapel Episcopal Church. By the time of the American Revolution, this church had already served its parish of Virginia colonists for over a century. The parish was founded under the supervision of the House of . . . — Map (db m23821) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Trade RoutesCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) Trade Routes Virginia Indians at the time of Captain Smith’s explorations were part of a vast commerce and communications network that extended to the Gulf Coast, New England, and the Great Lakes. Native people on . . . — Map (db m97199) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Lively — J-82 — St. Mary’s White Chapel
Three miles southwest, a church was built there in 1669, and the tablets are of that date. The present church was built in 1741 and was later remodeled. St. Mary’s White Chapel Parish was united with Christ Church Parish in 1752. The tombs of the . . . — Map (db m60739) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Mollusk — J-96 — Queenstown
Seven miles southeast on Town Creek near the mouth of the Corrotoman River is the site of Queenstown. The town was created in 1692 in accordance with the Act of Ports passed that year by the Virginia General Assembly to establish in each county . . . — Map (db m24049) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Nuttsville — J-81 — Bewdley
About three miles southeast, on the north bank of the Rappahannock River, Bewdley was one of the most unusual houses in Virginia, with two rows of dormer windows. It was built by Major James Ball, cousin of Washington’s mother, about 1750. The first . . . — Map (db m24021) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Weems — J-86 — Christ Church
John Carter had the first church built on this site; it was completed in 1670 after his death. In 1730, his son Robert “King” Carter, colonial Virginia’s most powerful planter, proposed to build a brick church here at his own expense, . . . — Map (db m24266) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Weems — Christ Church Lancaster
Christ Church Lancaster, a singular example of colonial church architecture, was completed circa 1735. This is Robert “King” Carter’s legacy to the community. Its simplicity stands as a witness to the importance of the Christian faith to . . . — Map (db m24280) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Weems — J-85 — Corotoman
This place was three miles south. Little remains of the house. John Carter obtained patents for a large grant here before 1654, but the place is better known as the home of his son, Robert (“King”) Carter. In April 1814, the British, . . . — Map (db m24261) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — J-109 — 69 Slaves Escape to Freedom
About 2,400 enslaved African Americans in Virginia escaped to the British during the War of 1812, encouraged in part by a proclamation issued on 2 Apr. 1814 offering them freedom and resettlement in “His Majesty’s Colonies.” Three . . . — Map (db m99412) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — J-91 — A. T. Wright High School
Albert Terry Wright (1871–1944) was born in Hanover County, Virginia. He taught in the black schools of Richmond and, by 1908, at White Stone in Lancaster County. By 1921 Wright was principal of the county’s first high school for blacks, . . . — Map (db m24640) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — Albert Terry Wright1871–1944
Professor Albert Terry Wright was born in Hanover County, Virginia. Early in his career, he taught in the black schools of Richmond, Va. In 1901, he began teaching in Lancaster County, Virginia. Between 1905 and 1910, he built the Lancaster County . . . — Map (db m24639) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — J-94 — Henry Fleete and Fleet’s Island
Henry Fleete was born about 1602 in Kent, England, and moved to Jamestown, Virginia, in 1621. Fleete was seized by the Anacostan Indians during a trading expedition and held for five years. He learned their language and after his release in 1627 . . . — Map (db m24638) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — J-107 — The War of 1812/Capture of the Dolphin
The War of 1812 Impressment of Americans into British service and the violation of American ships were among the causes of America's War of 1812 with the British which lasted until 1815. Virginians suffered from a British naval blockade of the . . . — Map (db m74649) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), White Stone — J-87 — Windmill Point
During the War of 1812, the British blockaded the Chesapeake Bay and sent raiding vessels up the rivers and creeks to plunder and destroy property. The lookout at Windmill Point (about a mile east) on Fleet’s Island reported that on 23 April 1814, . . . — Map (db m24484) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.