Austin, mother town of mining camps, sprang into being after William Talcott discovered silver at this spot on May 2, 1862. Talcott came from Jacobsville, a stage stop six miles to the west on the Reese River, the first Lander County seat. He was . . . — — Map (db m14435) HM
St. George's Episcopal Church to the east was consecrated in 1878. The Reverend Blackiston swept the congregation with his enthusiasm and eloquence at Easter Service in 1877 to bring forth pledges including the building, retaining wall, pipe organ, . . . — — Map (db m14609) HM
Austin Masonic and Oddfellows Hall (1867)
Has Been Placed On The
National Register Of Historic Places By The United States
Department Of The Interior
& Austin Historical Society
2003 — — Map (db m89530) HM
About one mile northwest lies a natural pass between two low buttes which, prehistorically, the aborigines may have used as a site of ambushing migratory deer herds. Three petroglyph panels are located in this pass. Concerted, cooperative efforts of . . . — — Map (db m14615) HM
Built of lumber from the first International Hotel constructed in Virginia City.
David E. Buel built the hotel after being refused a free lot in Clifton at the mouth of the canyon below.
Buel, Frederick Baker, W.C. Harrington and John E. . . . — — Map (db m69613) HM
Site of the town of Jacobsville is one-half mile north. Founded on the banks of the Reese River in 1859 by George Washington Jacobs who was the first sheriff of Lander County, farmer and businessman, it was the Overland Stage and Mail station and . . . — — Map (db m69649) HM
This simple stone structure, opened to the public in late 1863, was originally operated as a general merchandise store by the firm of Gridley, Hobart and Jacobs. Gridley is best remembered for his 1864 wager which prompted the auctioning of a sack . . . — — Map (db m14612) HM
Standing on this prominent hill is St. Augustine, the oldest Catholic Church in Nevada built in 1866 and is known as the mother church that spawned other catholic churches in Nevada. The church was built from the local quarry and brickyard for . . . — — Map (db m14611) HM
Started in the fall of 1896 and completed in June, 1897, by Ansom Phelps Stokes, mine developer, railroad magnate and member of a prominent eastern family, as a summer home for his sons, principally J.G. Phelps. After the castle (or the tower, as . . . — — Map (db m14436) HM
The Pony Express Trail passed four miles north of Austin through Jacobsville, Simpson's Park and Dry Creek Station. During the Paiute Indian War the stations were burned and two station tenders at Dry Creek were killed and buried there.
. . . — — Map (db m14607) HM
The Federal Government historically has supported numerous surveys for the purpose of measuring the domain which extended, after 1848, to the Pacific. These surveys sought railway routes, military relationships, water transport and wagon roads. The . . . — — Map (db m69609) HM
East of the summit, north of the highway, and under a basalt flow lies Toquima Cave. Red, white, and yellow aboriginal drawings (pictographs) decorate its walls.
Usually located near springs, as here, and on migratory big game trails, painted . . . — — Map (db m62126) HM
Battle Mountain's name derives from the mountain range to the southwest, where in 1850 angry California emigrants ambushed a band of Shoshones after the Indians had attacked their wagons.
As a town, it did not spring into existence until . . . — — Map (db m67263) HM
Mrs. Stevens moved into this house after her former home located between the Watson and Phillips houses in the next row below had burned to the ground. She fed boarders to support her family of two boys and two girls living with her. Two other sons . . . — — Map (db m89577) HM
The Company Store stood on this lot. It sold nearly everything needed in everyday living, including clothing, groceries, prospecting supplies, grain, and drugs. The local doctor acted as his own druggist by compounding the drugs he prescribed from . . . — — Map (db m89590) HM