Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lane County Oregon Historical Markers

 
A Fittin' Tribute Marker (<i>wide view; Dee Wright Observatory in background</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, June 27, 2015
A Fittin' Tribute Marker (wide view; Dee Wright Observatory in background)
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — A Fittin' Tribute
When Dee Wright began work in 1910, he did not know where 24 years in the Forest Service would take him. Packing supplies for fire camps, work crews and lookouts; locating part of the Pacific Crest trail; and stories around the campfire all found . . . — Map (db m114237) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — Dee Wright Observatory
This observation point has been provided to facilitate public enjoyment of the unusual and interesting combination of historical and geological features nearby. The development was planned and supervised by the Willamette National Forest and . . . — Map (db m114229) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — Old Wagon Road
This is a portion of the McKenzie Salt Springs and Deschutes Wagon Road constructed during the period 1866-1872. The route across these lava fields was rough and torturous. However it was 1,000 feet lower in elevation than the older Scott Trail . . . — Map (db m114227) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — Pioneer Mailman
On the knoll behind this sign once stood a rustic cabin in which pioneer mailman John Templeton Craig died in December 1877. Craig, who was 56, had been employed to carry the mail between McKenzie Bridge and Camp Polk, near Sisters. While . . . — Map (db m114234) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — Scott Road
In 1862 Felix Scott led a crew of 50 men who blazed a trail across the Cascade Mountains following an old Indian trail which skirted lava flows. Scott hoped to use the new route to take supplies to gold fields in Idaho. His trail was . . . — Map (db m114245) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Blue River — Wisely Reasoned
I was hired as a stone mason LEM for the Civilian Conservation Corps. What’s a LEM you ask? Local Experienced Men. Know all ‘bout stone masonry and it was wisely reasoned to pepper experienced man about the young Corps enrollees. They’re . . . — Map (db m114238) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — A Trail by Any Other Name
In 1846 Levi Scott, together with Jesse and Lindsay Applegate, led an expedition that established the southern route to Oregon from Ft. Hall, Idaho. He was also elected to guide the first emigrants over the new route. Scott's significant role in the . . . — Map (db m112910) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — Cottage Grove Historical Museum1897 - 1983
Erected as a Roman Catholic church Stained glass windows from Italy Placed by Calapooya Chapter DAR — Map (db m99271) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — Crossing the Calapooya Mountains
Slowed by rugged trail conditions, weather, and weary teams, emigrants in 1846 entered the southern Willamette Valley in dire circumstances. Transit of the mountains between the Rogue River and the Willamette watershed took a terrible toll - . . . — Map (db m112911) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — River RoadHistoric Trail to Modern Highway
Roads and rights-of-way were serious public considerations on the Oregon frontier. Market roads, territorial roads and county roads were the lifelines of commerce and communication. River Road - the road upon which you are standing - was once a . . . — Map (db m112909) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — The Applegate Trail - Southern Route to OregonCottage Grove
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous "last leg" of the Oregon Trail down the . . . — Map (db m112908) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — The Centennial Bridge
The Centennial Bridge was built in 1987 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Cottage Grove. It was built by volunteers with recycled timbers from the Brumbaugh and Meadows bridges, and paid for with donations. Its Howe truss spans 84' and rests on . . . — Map (db m99285) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Cottage Grove — The Changing Trail to Oregon
The trail to Oregon was never a single set of wagon ruts etched from Missouri to the Willamette Valley. Wagons often traveled abreast through valleys and plains sometimes widening the trail several miles. In the mountains they constantly attempted . . . — Map (db m112912) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — A.W. and Amanda Patterson Home"Animal House"
Site of the home of A. W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — Map (db m112888) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Ellis F. LawrenceHope Abbey Mausoleum Architect
During the first half of the 20th century, Ellis Fuller Lawrence was one of Oregon's foremost architects. In 1914, he became the founder and first dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon. During his 32 year . . . — Map (db m99251) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Eugene Skinner
Early Settler of This Region For Whom The City of Eugene and Skinner Butte is Named. According to Tradition, Skinner Built the Area’s First Cabin Near This Site, ca 1846. — Map (db m116756) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Eugene Skinner Settled Here in 1846
This cabin is a replica of his first home. Built at Oakridge Oregon by Lawrence Hills, Bud Pickens and Jim White for Lane County Historical Society. — Map (db m118807) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Genesis of a City
(The following two of four interpretive displays located in this park highlight Eugene Skinner): (First Display) Eugene and Mary Skinner emigrated in 1845 to California, and then moved north to settle temporarily in Polk . . . — Map (db m116805) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Granite Glacial Erratic
A rock or boulder carried from its original source by an act of nature is called an erratic. This granite erratic was deposited near Harrisburg, Oregon about 12,000 years ago. Geologists say it was carried there by an iceberg during the . . . — Map (db m99224) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Patterson Home Site / Animal House
Site of the home of A.W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon Legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — Map (db m99248) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Petrified Wood
This piece of petrified wood was found near the mouth of Moffett Creek when the Columbia River Highway was widened in 1950. The wood turned to stone as the fiber of the original tree, which lived during the early Miocene age (26 million years ago), . . . — Map (db m99223) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Shelton – McMurphey HouseBuilt 1888
Designated as a Eugene Historic Landmark, 1975. Deeded to Lane County by Dr. Eva Johnson, Dec. 1975 — Map (db m118808) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Site of First Cabin in Eugene
Built By Eugene F Skinner 1846 — Map (db m116764) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — The Applegate TrailSouthern Route to Oregon
(The following two of four interpretive displays located in this park highlight the Applegate Trail): (First Display) In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette . . . — Map (db m116803) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — The Collier House
Built in 1886 by George Haskell Collier Professor of Physics University of Oregon from 1879 to 1895 — Map (db m99228) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Wiley Griffon1867 - 6/26/1913
Once described as "Eugene's pioneer colored citizen", and "one of the most industrious colored men in Eugene", Wiley Griffon was well known on the streets of Eugene. A tram operator, he drove the city's "horse" drawn trolleys. These trolleys . . . — Map (db m112881) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — A Battle With the Elements
Can you feel the sea wind? The lighthouse can, too! For a lighthouse, standing out in the sea spray and storm winds is part of the job description. For more than a century of working life, Heceta Head Lighthouse has taken a . . . — Map (db m113303) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Designed for Seafarer Safety
From top to bottom, Heceta Head Lighthouse is built to guide from afar. The light’s height was most likely chosen to maximize its range while minimizing the chances it would be hidden by fog. Unlike most Fresnel lenses of the day, . . . — Map (db m113304) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Florence: Industrial Beginnings
Early industries in the Florence area were built on the natural resources that the Siuslaw River Valley had to offer. The rivers were filled with swarming salmon and the forests held acres of old growth timber. Those abundant natural resources . . . — Map (db m93894) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Harbor Theater
Built in 1938 as the "Florence Theatre," the facade displays a stucco exterior. After an internal fire in 1957, it was refurnished and renamed the Harbor Theater. One of the last neighborhood theaters operating in Oregon, it continued dispensing . . . — Map (db m113263) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Hard Work at a Lonely Light
Would you make it as a Heceta Head Lighthouse keeper? Imagine living here, part of a tiny, isolated community whose lives revolved around the beacon of Heceta Head Light. You would: Work day and night to keep the light in good . . . — Map (db m113305) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Heceta Head LightstationIlluminating the Darkness
Lighthouses are not just scenic structures – they are life-saving innovations. In the 19th century, most traffic sailed by offshore. To steer true, and to avoid hazards such as reefs and shoals, ship captains needed land-based . . . — Map (db m113916) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Mapleton Depot
Constructed in 1912, this Southern Pacific Railroad Depot served Mapleton, a community 15 miles east of Florence. With the widening of Highway 126 in 1976, it was saved from demolition by local contractor, Mike Johnson, and rebuilt on the present . . . — Map (db m113262) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Navigating the Siuslaw River
The connection to the Pacific Ocean by way of the Siuslaw River made Florence a natural hub for industry. The shifting river channel and mouth made early navigation unpredictable. The lack of stable conditions made establishing a thriving harbor . . . — Map (db m93912) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Road Behind And Sea Beyond
This headland has attracted and challenged centuries of travelers. For centuries, Siuslaw, Yachats and Alsea Tribes were drawn to the rich marine resources at Heceta Head. As they hunted, fished, and traveled, they established . . . — Map (db m113442) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Siuslaw River Bridge
The Siuslaw River Bridge was built as part of the Coast Bridges Project. It is one of five designed by Conde B. McCullough and built during the Great Depression from 1934 to 1936. The Coast Bridges Project was funded through the Public Works . . . — Map (db m113260) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Siuslaw River Bridge: Construction & Design
Constructing Over the Siuslaw The Siuslaw River Bridge incorporates Art Deco, Moderne, Gothic, and Egyptian influence that were important to McCullough. Due to its ability to open at the center, the Siuslaw River Bridge best represents . . . — Map (db m113537) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Technology SpansA Sea-Sculptured Landscape
If this historic bridge and tunnel weren’t here, what would it be like to cross Cape Creek? Engineers building the Pacific Coast Highway in the early 1930s encountered an unusual challenge here at Cape Creek, a deep, offset gorge, . . . — Map (db m113301) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Welcome to Historic Old Town
Originally named First Street then later Front Street, Bay Street was renamed in the mid-1950s by the Florence Garden Club. Historically known as the city center of Florence, Bay Street held much of the government and commerce functions. Once . . . — Map (db m113261) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — “The Struggle Has Ended”The Danish Cemetery
Early in the twentieth century, Danish immigrants settled in and around Junction City. Like most immigrants they came to stay and live like other Americans, but that did not mean abandoning their ethnic heritage. As one letter writer explained to . . . — Map (db m117073) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Junction City — A Brief History
Born of a vision that was not to be fully realized, Junction City was platted in 1870 by Ben Holladay, the West Coast railroad promoter. Holladay was building the Oregon & California Railroad south from Portland, laying track on both the east and . . . — Map (db m119466) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Junction City’s First Jail
Junction City was incorporated as a town on October 29, 1872 by an act of the Oregon Legislative Assembly. One of the first contracts let by the city was awarded May, 1873 to Thomas Humphrey to build a city jail which was completed at a cost of . . . — Map (db m119412) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Lee House1872
This picturesque building was the home of the city's first doctor. The home’s one story back part was built prior to 1872 and was pulled by horses from the nearby community of Lancaster, about 2 miles northeast on Highway 99E. The two-story section . . . — Map (db m119470) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Locomotive 418Finnish National Railways — In Service 1904 - 1958
Of this type of railway locomotive, only Engine 418 and a sister, Engine 293, remain. Engine 293 is on permanent display at a Leningrad museum in Russia. Engine 418 was built in Tampere, Finland, in 1904. In 1939-40 it saw services during the . . . — Map (db m119461) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Smithfield
Dedicated in 1862 in Honor of Daniel Smith. Pioneer of 1852. Donor of the Townsite. — Map (db m117046) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — West Side Old Territorial Road1848-1865
This marks the Old Stage Route and the Daniel Smith Donation Land Claim Homesite 1852 – 1908 Smithfield Dedicated in His Honor 1862 — Map (db m117049) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Building a BridgeIndustrious Labor
Oregon's rivers echoed with the sound of saws, axes, and the other industrious banging of hammers as work crews erected hundreds of bridges during the height of the covered bridge era. Bridge construction typically started with the abutments that . . . — Map (db m112924) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Frontier LifeEarly Settlers
After lengthy journeys across inhospitable deserts and mountains in the early 1800s, weary travelers arrived in the Willamette Basin. Lane County's first Euro-American settler, Elijah Bristow, arrived in June of 1846, making his 640-acre claim at . . . — Map (db m112926) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Frontier LifeRangering the West
At the turn of the century, the wild frontier was rapidly shifting to settled land and the Forest Reserves (predecessor to the Forest Service) quickly became an integral part of life in the region. "Forest Rangers" (a new breed of working men) . . . — Map (db m112929) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell Covered BridgeProtecting the Past
At the turn of the 20th century, wagonloads of settlers and supplies traveling along the old Oregon Central Military Wagon Road stopped here to board Amos D. Hyland's ferry to cross the Willamette River. As more and more settlers traveled the route, . . . — Map (db m112920) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersLogging Brings Growth
Just across the reservoir, Lowell took root in the 1850s at Amos D. Hyland's homestead. First called Cannon, then later dubbed Lowell, the town grew up around Hyland's general store and large hop-processing yard. Hyland also operated a ferry that . . . — Map (db m112930) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersFlood Control
In Oregon's early days, emigrants came in droves to live along the Willamette River, but they soon discovered its volatile nature. Floods inundated the valley, property was destroyed, and lives were lost. The Army Corps of Engineers was given the . . . — Map (db m112931) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Touring the Past
Powerful floods, heavy traffic loads, vandalism, and neglect have led to the demise of hundreds of historic covered bridges. As vehicles and logging trucks got bigger, covered bridges, such as this one, were built with wider and higher portals. . . . — Map (db m112919) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Oakridge — Free Emigrant Road
2,000 Pioneers Passed By Here 1853-1854 — Map (db m116746) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Oakridge — Yabes, MaximoMedal of Honor Recipient
First Sergeant, United States Army, Company A, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division. Place and Date: Near Phu Hoa Dong, Republic of Vietnam, 26 February 1967. Place and Date: January 29, 1932, Lodi, California. Citation: For . . . — Map (db m116432) HM WM
Oregon (Lane County), Pleasant Hill — Bristow MonumentOregon History
Elijah Bristow, a veteran of Andrew Jackson's army, erected his cabin here on Pleasant Hill in 1846, earliest year of settlement in Lane County. He and his wife Susannah then led in establishing the county's first church and first school. This . . . — Map (db m99218) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Pleasant Hill — Elijah BristowApril 28, 1788 - September 19, 1872
In 1845 Elijah Bristow and his wife (Susannah Gabbart Bristow) left their home in Illinois and traveled overland to California. They came to Oregon in the spring of 1846, following the Hudson's Bay trappers' route to the northern Willamette Valley. . . . — Map (db m99220) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Vida — Goodpasture Bridge
(panel 1) The Goodpasture Bridge is a reminder of an earlier era, when covered bridges were common sights for motorists on Oregon’s back roads. But this bridge is more than just a quaint remnant – it still an . . . — Map (db m113714) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Westfir — Free Emigrant Road
2,000 Pioneers Passed By Here 1853-1854 — Map (db m116750) HM

59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.