“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lapeer County Michigan Historical Markers

Columbiaville Depot and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
Columbiaville Depot and Marker
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L750 — Columbiaville Depot
In the nineteenth century, railroads provided the prime transportation link between small villages and the rest of the country. The first Columbiaville depot was built near this site in 1872. In 1893 William Peter (1824-1899) replaced that structure . . . — Map (db m101541) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman.
Dr. Richardson practiced Osteopathic family medicine and surgery in Lapeer and Genesee counties for 33 years. He was an ardent conservationist. He arranged for the planting of a half a million trees in this area. He was a founding member of . . . — Map (db m101545) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L751 — The William Peter Mansion
This structure, completed in 1896, was the home of William Peter (1824-1899). Peter, a prominent Columbiaville businessman, was a rags-to-riches character. Around 1847 he came to the area from Germany via New York state, a penniless immigrant. . . . — Map (db m101547) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Columbiaville — L1162 — United Methodist Church
This handsome Romanesque structure was completed in 1897 for the Methodist Protestant Church of Columbiaville. Local Methodists, with the assistance of circuit riders, had organized the church some forty years earlier. In 1865 the congregation . . . — Map (db m101546) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Dryden — L480 — Dryden Depot
Side 1 The area now known as Dryden was settled in 1834. By 1880 it was a hamlet of about 300 people. A marketing center surrounded by rich farm land, it turned to the railroad to increase its prosperity. Its citizens, spurred by the local . . . — Map (db m109865) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Dryden — L669 — Ladies Library Hall
The Ladies Library Association was established in 1871 to provide reading material at a small cost to the community. In the beginning the association only allowed married women to be members and charged an annual fee of one dollar. The women of the . . . — Map (db m109815) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — 175 — Lapeer County
Set off by Gov. Cass in 1822, this county took its name from the French La Pierre, a translation of the Indian name for the Flint River. Settlers began to arrive in 1828. The county seat, founded in 1831, was also named Lapeer. Organization . . . — Map (db m101532) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — L2069 — Lapeer Public Library
Founded in 1859, the Lapeer Ladies Library Association gathered the community's first collection of books for lending. The popularity of the collection led the Carnegie Foundation to offer $10,000 to build a public library in 1916. In part through . . . — Map (db m101536) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — Marguerite deAngeli Branch LibraryLiterary Landmarks Register
Born in 1899, Lapeer native Marguerite deAngeli was a significant author and illustrator of 20th century children's literature. In 1950, she was awarded the Newberry Medal for The Door in the Wall, and was one of the first inductees into the . . . — Map (db m101535) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — Protecting the Impaired
The Michigan Legislature passed a bill in 1913 authorizing sterilization of mentally impaired persons confined in public institutions, even over the objections of a parent or guardian. The law was adopted to prevent those so confined from ever . . . — Map (db m101533) HM
Michigan (Lapeer County), Lapeer — L2196 — The Tuttle House
Lapeer lumberman Columbus Tuttle and his second wife, Linda, had this Queen Anne house built around 1890. Tuttle's planing mill provided lumber for the county's earliest homes and businesses. After lumbering declined during the 1880s, Tuttle's mills . . . — Map (db m101537) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020