County Seat, Lavaca County
Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site. — — Map (db m95361) HM
Land originally property of Mrs. Mary Jane Hallet Ballard, who deeded it to trustees of the "Hallettsville Graveyard" in 1870. Area pioneers were buried here until 1898. The monument in center honors county's heroes in battles of the Alamo, Goliad, . . . — — Map (db m95362) HM
The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company (S. A. & A. P.) was chartered by the State of Texas in 1884 to connect the city of San Antonio with Aransas Bay, and the rail line officially came to Hallettsville on April 23, 1887. A large . . . — — Map (db m95371) HM
A native of Virginia, William Smothers was orphaned at 12 when Indians killed his father, and his mother died of shock. In the American Revolution, he fought at King's Mountain, Guilford Courthouse, Camden, and Eutaw Springs. He moved to Kentucky in . . . — — Map (db m95372) HM
The community of Half Moon was first mentioned in a 1689 account from Gov. Alonso de Leon's expedition when the group encountered a Native American tribe that called Half Moon their home. The area was known as Half Moon due to the peculiar shape of . . . — — Map (db m68496) HM
This Greek revival home (200 yds. N) was built in the 1880s by George Herder (1818-1887), veteran of the Texas Revolution and pioneer farmer and rancher in the Half Moon community. A son, William (d. 1940), later ran a butcher shop and farmed the . . . — — Map (db m68497) HM
Founded as outgrowth of an 1895 invention that used smooth wire discarded when barbed wire fencing was introduced in this area. August Kaspar, son of a Swiss Lutheran missionary to Texas, salvaged some of the plain wire and made a corn shuck basket . . . — — Map (db m95435) HM
Early German and Czech settlers in this area of Lavaca County attended Catholic worship services in private homes or at churches in Hallettsville or Moulton until 1890, when a new mission was established in Shiner by the Rev. John Anthony Forest. . . . — — Map (db m95442) HM
Built by the Shiner Brewing Association, a stock company of local men. Sold in April 1915 to Kosmas Spoetzl (1873-1950), native of Bavaria and former operator of a brewery in Cairo, Egypt.
This plant remained open in 1918-33 (Prohibition era), . . . — — Map (db m95436) HM
Chisholm Trail Memorial Park
The Chisholm Trail Memorial Park, originally known as Palmer Park, is re-dedicated to the memory of the Old Trail Drivers of the Yoakum-Bovine, Texas area who passed this way, 1867 – 1887.
In the Centennial . . . — — Map (db m125472) HM
Located on DeWitt-Lavaca County line on land granted by Mexico in 1835 to settler John May. Cattle gathering area for Chisholm Trail. With coming of San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad in 1887, became transportation center. Named for rail . . . — — Map (db m125469) HM