Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrence County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Obverse View - - Bedford Courthouse Square Historic District Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 9, 2011
Obverse View - - Bedford Courthouse Square Historic District Marker
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — 47.1998.1 — Bedford Courthouse Square Historic District
Courthouse square, part of original 1825 plat, surrounded by nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings in various architectural styles. Limestone facing quarried and milled by local industry. Listed in National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m48967) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Birthplace of Edward Rector, Attorney1863 - 1925
Lawrence County's greatest philanthropist, he endowed the Rector Scholarship Foundation at De Pauw University with $2,250,000 in 1919. To date 5,100 awards have been made, 22 to Lawrence County natives. "To youth of ability and courage in . . . — Map (db m74127) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — 47.2005.1 — Dunn Memorial Hospital
(Side One) Lawrence County Hospital Association was organized July 15, 1903 to build, maintain, and manage a hospital in Bedford. Opened first building 1904. State, district, and local Works Progress Administration officials and city and . . . — Map (db m74128) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Indiana Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
Portrait of Freedom ( Art Work ) (Including Words) - - Courage • Sacrifice • Service • Liberty In Memory of Indiana Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Wars — Map (db m48427) WM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Lawrence County Korean Honor Roll
Korea Honor Roll Defenders of Freedom for God and Country This votive tablet is dedicated to the honor of the men of Lawrence County, Indiana who answered the call of our Country during the Korea Conflict and died so that you and . . . — Map (db m48424) WM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Lawrence County Soldiers Sailors and Pioneers Memorial
To the Soldiers Sailors and Pioneers of Lawrence County Indiana Moses F. Dunn 1923Map (db m48422) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Lawrence County Vietnam Honor Roll
Vietnam Honor Roll Defenders of Freedom for God and Country This plaque is dedicated to honor the men of Lawrence County, Indiana who answered the call of our Country during the Vietnam Conflict and died so that you and I might . . . — Map (db m48425) WM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Lawrence County World War II Honor Roll
Honor Roll Defenders of Freedom for God and Country This votive tablet is dedicated to the honor of the men of Lawrence County, Indiana who answered the call of our Country in World War II and who died that you and I might . . . — Map (db m48423) WM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Lawrence Park
From 1851 to 1892 this was the location of the first railroad depot in Lawrence County. It was built by the New Albany and Salem R. R. And handled both passengers and freight. Starting in 1876 it was also the depot of the narrow gauge Bedford and . . . — Map (db m48299) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Otis Park
A gift of newspaperman Fred B. Otis, May 13, 1937. The mansion was built circa 1865 by William A. Ragsdale. Pioneer stone worker, Nathan Hall purchased the property in 1875 and named it "Pine Hall." Later it was owned by industrialist Alvin T. Hert. . . . — Map (db m74152) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Otis Park
Presented to the City of Bedford October 31, 1935 by Fred B. Otis, editor of the Bedford Daily Mail. An area of 145.81 acres of beautiful landscape, including the fine old mansion, Pine Hall. Dedicated to refined recreation and pleasure of all the . . . — Map (db m74153) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Pine Hall
Built 1865-7 by Wm. Ragsdale. Cost $25,000. Occupied by his family 11 years. Bought 1878 by Nathan Hall, pioneer quarryman. Occupied by his family 21 years. Bought and run as a dairy farm 1899 by Alvin Tobe Hert who named the estate Pine Hall. Owned . . . — Map (db m74154) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Site of James Gregory House(about 200 yards south)
Here on March 11, 1818, Ambrose Carlton, Thomas Beagley and James Scotts, commissioners, organized Lawrence County and its first five townships, appointed officers, fixed Palestine as county seat and ordered first elections. The first court convened . . . — Map (db m74155) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — Site of the Bedford Branch of the State Bank of Indiana — 1834 —– 1854
Created by the Legislature on January 28, 1834, it was one of ten original branch banks. This institution served six counties and contributed greatly to Bedford’s growth. First President was Col. William McLane, followed by John Vestal. . . . — Map (db m48302) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — The Cornerstone of Freedom
Top Plaque This Cornerstone of Freedom presented June, 17, 1948 at Bedford, Indiana, U. S. A. The Stone City of the World On this spot June 17, 1948 as a part of the Indiana Limestone Centennial Cornerstones of . . . — Map (db m48335) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Oolitic — 47.1966.1 — Indiana (Oolitic) Limestone Quarries
Largest building stone quarries in the world, in continuous operation since the 1830s. These quarries have produced stone for many of the world’s largest and finest memorials, buildings and bridges. — Map (db m74165) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.