Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lebanon County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Wide view of the Blue Mountain Forts Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, June 16, 2010
Wide view of the Blue Mountain Forts Marker
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — Blue Mountain Forts
In 1763-64, from a line of six loghouse stations to the north, settlers were defended by the Paxton Rangers – volunteers paid by Pennsylvania’s Provincial government. Fort Hunter was on the Susquehanna just north of Blue Mountain, and the . . . — Map (db m32224) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — Indiantown
The native village from which, in turn, the Creek, Gap, and great Military Reservation derived their names, formerly stood near here. The Delaware Indians took this route to Shamokin, upon their removal from the Schuylkill region. — Map (db m30045) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — Indiantown Gap Military Reservation
Authorized in 1929, first land bought in 1931, and first used by the National Guard in 1932. In 1940 it was leased to the Federal government as an Army cantonment. The total area is now more than 16,000 acres. — Map (db m32227) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — John Walter
Co-laborer of Jacob Albright in founding of Evangelical Church, born 1791, died 1818, is buried in this cemetery. An effective preacher and hymn writer, he published the first songbook for his church. — Map (db m30060) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — Lindley Murray
Famous grammarian, author of the English Grammar, was born June 7, 1745, in a house on Indiantown Creek near this point. Robert Murray, his father, owned a mill here from 1743 to 1746. — Map (db m30281) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Annville — Reed's Fort
Just south of this point stood the house of Adam Reed, Esq. In 1755 it was turned into a fort. Here, with Rangers from Hanover Township, Reed protected the people of the countryside against Indian raids. — Map (db m30050) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Cornwall — Cornwall Banks
One of world's greatest iron mines, oldest operated continuously in the New World. It has been mined for more than two centuries, and is still the greatest iron ore deposit east of Lake Superior. — Map (db m30275) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Cornwall — Cornwall Furnace
Charcoal iron furnace built by Peter Grubb, operated 1742-1883. Best surviving example of early Pennsylvania ironworks. Now a State historical shrine, gift of Mrs. Margaret Coleman Buckingham, heir of its famous owner, Robert Coleman. — Map (db m30277) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Cornwall — Cornwall Furnace
Built by Peter Grubb. Operated from 1742 to 1883. — Map (db m30278) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Cornwall — Grubb's First Forge
Peter Grubb (c. 1700-54) carried on his initial efforts at iron-making in 1735 just slightly to the north. He used the Catalan-type forge which had originated in Spain sometime during the tenth century. — Map (db m30274) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — 40 & 8 Boxcar
This 40 & 8 Boxcar is one of forty-nine cars that comprised the merci or gratitude train, a gift to the American people from the citizens of France. Pennsylvania received it at a ceremony in Harrisburg on February 6, 1949. All forty-eight states . . . — Map (db m12546) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — 95th Infantry Division Memorial"Iron Men of Metz"

The U.S. 95th Infantry Division was stationed at Indiantown Gap Military Reservation from February to July 1944, preparing for combat service in France and Germany, as an important part of the victorious American . . . — Map (db m101224) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — AH-1F Bell"Cobra" Helicopter

The AH-1F Bell "Cobra" helicopter traces its lineage from the UH-1 Series helicopter. The original "Cobra" replaced the Huey's bulky fuselage with the thin-profile fuselage and tandem seating. For more than 40 years, the "Cobra" struck fear in . . . — Map (db m12586) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Clyde Grubb • Lester Baver

With sincere and deep appreciation the Men of "A" Company 36th Armored Infantry Regiment Third Armored Division place this plaque to commemorate

Clyde Grubb

Clyde took it upon himself to acquire Army permission to locate . . . — Map (db m101190) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Company G, 112th Infantry, and Service Troop, 104th Cavalry, War Memorial

Given in honor of Co. G, 112th Inf., PNG (1917) and Svc. Tp., 104th Cav. PNG (1940) and to the memory of the soldiers of those units who gave up their lives

World War I Killed in Action

Sgt. John W. Wilson 28 Sep 1918 • Pvt. Clair . . . — Map (db m101188) WM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — EC-130E "Commando Solo"
Flown exclusively by the Airmen of the 193rd Special Operations Wing, Middletown, Pa., this EC-130E "Commando Solo" is a one-of-a-kind aircraft in many ways. Conducting the U.S. Military's only airborne psychological operations mission, this . . . — Map (db m12540) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — EC-130E Commando Solo I"Never Seen Always Heard"
The EC-130 Commando Solo II provided worldwide airborne radio and television broadcast capability supporting psychological operations around the world during the period 1991-2006. It evolved from earlier C-130 variants known as Valiant Solo and . . . — Map (db m12542) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — F-102 Jet Fighter
The Convair F-102 Jet Fighter "Delta Dagger" was a part of the backbone of the United States Air Defense System in the late 1950's. Beginning its service to the country in 1956, its main purpose was to intercept enemy aircraft in US Air Space, . . . — Map (db m12580) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Fallen Warrior Memorial - 2nd BCTFallen Warrior Memorial Symbolism
Fallen Warrior Memorial 2nd BCT The 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 28th Infantry Division (2/28 BCT), Pennsylvania Army National Guard, was mobilized January 2005 to support Operation Iraqi Freedom. Known as the "IRON BRIGADE," it marked the . . . — Map (db m12543) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Frank Smolik • Bob Pacios

With sincere and deep appreciation the Men of "A" Company 36th Armored Infantry Regiment Third Armored Division place this plaque to commemorate the editors of The Spearhead Doughboy "A" Company's newsletter

Frank . . . — Map (db m101191) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M1/IPM1 Abrams Tank

Since the beginning of massed armies around the world, formal military units have been outfitting their armies in protective gear; in the beginning with armored breastplates, to English Knights, to the Ironclad ships of the American Civil War, . . . — Map (db m101169) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M110 Howitzer

The M110 203mm self-propelled howitzer, commonly known as the 8-inch, first entered service with the US Army in 1963. The M110A2 variant presently displayed included the longer M201 cannon tube of the M110A1 model and the double-baffled muzzle . . . — Map (db m101192) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M113A2 APC

The original M113 Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) helped revolutionize mobile military operations when it entered service in 1960. These vehicles can carry 11 soldiers plus a driver and track commander under armored protection across hostile . . . — Map (db m101171) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M2/M59 Howitzer

This M52 (155mm) Towed Howitzer was the standard heavy field gun for the United [S]tates during World War II. During World War I the United States was poorly equipped with heavy artillery. To address this issue, the U.S. Army developed several . . . — Map (db m101211) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M42 Duster

This M42 40mm Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun commonly referred to as "Duster" was built for the United States Army from 1952 until the end of 1959. A total of 3,700 M42 were built by the General Motors [Corp] under their tank division. The . . . — Map (db m101193) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M46 Patton Tank

The M46 Patton was developed as a rebuild program for the M26 shortly before the outbreak of the Korean War. A new powerpack was installed in the rear hull, leading to modified engine access doors and a different rear panel. Like the M26A1, it . . . — Map (db m101172) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M4A3 Sherman Tank

During World War II, one of the most famous tanks was that of the iconic M4 Sherman. Used on all fronts, the Sherman tank was a versatile and reliable tank. Besides the United States, Great Britain, Canada, French, South Africans and Soviet . . . — Map (db m101174) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M578 LRV

Developed and used during the Cold War, the M578 Light Recovery Vehicle (LRV) was developed to change the barrels in the M107 self-propelled 175mm gun and the M110 self-propelled 8 inch (203mm) howitzer. Once in service the mission was quickly . . . — Map (db m101207) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M60A3 Patton Tank

This M60A3 Main Battle Tank (MBT) is a fully tracked, armored, combat vehicle operated by a crew of four consisting of a driver, gunner, loader, and a tank commander. The vehicle is powered by a 750 horsepower V-12 air cooled compression ignition . . . — Map (db m12572) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — M915A1 Line Haul Tractor

When the military travels world wide they tend to bring a lot of material. The M915A1 was developed as a way to streamline the shipping of needed material used by the military over the standard 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks. The early versions . . . — Map (db m101210) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Nike "Ajax" Missile
Developed during the first decade of the Cold War to combat possible Soviet aircraft the Nike System was the world's first successful, widely-deployed, guided surface-to-air missile system. It was named "Nike" for the mythical Greek Goddess of . . . — Map (db m12575) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Nike "Hercules" Missile
The successor to the first Nike missile, the Nike "Ajax", the "Hercules" was a much more capable missile in every way. Designated as MIM-14 it came in three different models A/B/C and over 25,000 missiles were made with the most being the MIM-14B . . . — Map (db m12584) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — OH-6A Cayuse"Loach" Helicopter

The OH-6A Cayuse was designed as a military scout aircraft during the Vietnam War to meet the Army's need for an extremely maneuverable light observation helicopter. Nicknamed the "Loach" because of its LOH designation (light observation . . . — Map (db m12585) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Saint-Avold Tribute to 3rd American Army

The town of Saint-Avold in gratitude to her Liberators of the 3rd American Army — Map (db m101194) WM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Third Armored DivisionRemembers France, Belgium, & Germany

June 1944 to May 1945

Battle Stars Awarded: Normandy • Northern France Rhineland • Ardennes Central Europe

Fort Indiantown Gap Jan 1943 to Sept 1943

[Dedicated] September 1994 — Map (db m101189) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — UH-1 Iroquois"Huey" Helicopter
The UH-1 "Huey" helicopter is a multifaceted aircraft, capable of command and control, resupply, casualty evacuation, liaison and troop transport. The "Huey" is the most widely used military helicopter. The venerable aircraft began arriving in . . . — Map (db m12588) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fort Indiantown Gap — Veterans of the Battle of the BulgeDecember 16, 1944 • January 25, 1945 — A Triumph of Courage

The World War II Federation proudly dedicates this monument to the six hundred thousand American men and women who, in World War II fought three German Armies in the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg and won the largest land battle ever . . . — Map (db m101212) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Fredericksburg — James Lick
The California financier and philanthropist, donor of the Lick Observatory, was born in Fredericksburg, Aug. 21, 1796. The Lick family monuments may be seen in the local cemetery. — Map (db m80096) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Jonestown — Sattazahn Lutheran Church
Founded by German immigrants who settled as early as 1729. Initially served by traveling missionaries including John Caspar Stoever, Jr., first Lutheran pastor to visit regularly. A log structure was built about 1756; this church erected 1872. Named . . . — Map (db m68015) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Jonestown — Transportation Corps Unit Training Center
A stevedore training program was established in 1942 at Fort Indiantown Gap. Soldiers were trained to load and unload cargo using three wood and concrete dry land ships. Many recruits were African Americans whose companies were segregated from their . . . — Map (db m68010) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Jonestown — Union Canal
After entering the reservoir at the Big Dam in Swatara Gap, the water from Swatara Creek came down the branch canal to the Water Works, 3.7 miles southwest of here. At that point it was raised by water wheels and steam pumps and carried by a feeder . . . — Map (db m12460) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Jonestown — Union Forge
Site of a charcoal iron forge begun about 1782 by Curtis Grubb, owner of Cornwall Iron Furnace, a major user of Cornwall iron. Such forges transformed brittle pig iron into workable wrought iron. Union Forge included 1,000 acres of land., blacksmith . . . — Map (db m30621) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Kleinfeltersville — Jacob Albright
The son of German immigrants, Jacob Albright (1759 - 1808) founded the Evangelical Association, preached to poor farmers, and rose to become Bishop in the Methodist Church. His grave is nearby at Albright Memorial Church. — Map (db m29302) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lebanon — Courthouse Lampposts and Courthouse Bell
The courthouse lampposts, original from 1816, are graciously presented by John E. and Marie Bowman Wengert in memory of their fathers respectively. Samuel K. Wengert served as a Lebanon County Commissioner from 1948-52 and Roy M. Bowman served as . . . — Map (db m84214) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lebanon — Lebanon County
Formed on February 16, 1813 from Dauphin and Lancaster counties. Named for old Lebanon Township, originally created 1729. Lebanon, county seat, is dated from 1740. Early settlers began the building of a rich agricultural and religious heritage. — Map (db m84212) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lebanon — Union Canal Company of Pennsylvania
Proposed by William Penn in 1690 to tap the agricultural wealth of the Commonwealth and give access to a second settlement on the Susquehanna River, the Canal was the first ever surveyed in the United States. This was done by David Rittenhouse and . . . — Map (db m84221) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lebanon — Union Canal Tunnel
Monument to first canal tunnel in America stands not far up this road. Built in 1823 under this ridge, the tunnel may be reached by a short walk down the hill on either side. The Union Canal was opened in 1827, and operated until 1884. — Map (db m84216) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lebanon — Union Canal Tunnel
Designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1970, this tunnel is the oldest existing transportation tunnel in the United States. At the time of its construction it was considered a work almost unknown in this country.

Dug . . . — Map (db m84218) HM

Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lickdale — Fort Swatara
Originally built by Peter Hedrick, 1755. The stockaded blockhouse was improved in early 1756 by Capt. Frederick Smith to guard Swatara Gap and protect the frontier settlements. Site is on Fort Swatara Drive about half a mile from this intersection. — Map (db m12538) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lickdale — Swatara Gap
This gap in the Blue Mountain, named for Swatara Creek, a pass through which enemy Indians raided frontier settlements during the French and Indian War. Fort Swatara was built nearby to guard it. — Map (db m12537) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Lickdale — Union Canal
Following the Swatara Creek from Pine Grove to main line of the Canal at Water Works was a Feeder Branch. It was in use from 1832-1862. A portion of the Big Dam, a guard lock, and several lift locks remain on the other side of the Swatara. — Map (db m12465) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Mount Gretna — The Pennsylvania Chatauqua
One of over 200 Chautauquas created as part of a late 19th , early 20th C. movement that began in 1874 at Lake Chatauqua, NY. It grew to include many programs in the arts, sciences and religion and sought to educate people of all social standings. . . . — Map (db m84211) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Myerstown — Tulpehocken Evangelical and Reformed Church
Organized in 1727 by Tulpehocken settlers. Since 1745, one red rose has been paid annually by the Church to the heirs of Caspar Wistar as rental for the land granted by him for erection of the second place of worship. Since 1902, a white rose, a . . . — Map (db m38768) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Myerstown — Union Canal
This canal was in use from 1828-1884. About .3 mile south, at the Tulpehocken, are remains of one of the locks by which boats descended from the summit level north of Lebanon to the Schulkill at Reading. — Map (db m38760) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Newmanstown — 1947 — Fort Zeller
This State's oldest existing fort is half a mile to the north. Pioneers who came to the Tulpehocken from the Schoharie valley build it in 1723, rebuilt it in 1745. It was used as a place of refuge during Indian wars. — Map (db m29300) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Quentin — Cornwall Iron Furnace
Built in 1742 by Peter Grubb near an immensely rich ore deposit and acres of forest for making charcoal fuel. a self-sufficient community included the ironmaster's mansion and workers' houses. The furnace produced pig iron and cast goods, and . . . — Map (db m30279) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Richland — Caspar Wistar
One Red Rose is annually paid by Trinity Reformed Church to the heirs of Caspar Wistar of Philadelphia who in 1738 gave 100 acres of land for church and school purposes The congregation was formed by Reformed families . . . — Map (db m38818) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Schaefferstown — Saint Luke Lutheran Church
This site marks the colonial meeting place of the region's earliest Christian congregation, dating to the 1730s. Under Pastor Frederick Augustus Conrad Muhlenberg, the congregation joined the Lutheran Synod in 1771. As an army hospital during the . . . — Map (db m29304) HM
Pennsylvania (Lebanon County), Schaefferstown — Schaefferstown Water Company
One of North America's oldest documented public water systems. Alexander Schaeffer built a hotel on the square in 1744, and construction of the water system began here shortly after. On July 16, 1763, he and his wife Anna Engle deeded this land - . . . — Map (db m29306) HM

59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.