Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lee County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Palymra Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
Palymra Marker
Georgia (Lee County), Albany — 088-2 — Palymra
Palmyra, Georgia “ghost town,” was incorporated in 1840 with John Woolbright, John Mercer, Burch M. Roberts, Edward Janes, George S. Oglesby as Commissioners. Among the prominent residents were: Doctors Jeremiah Hilsman, Leonidas Mercer, . . . — Map (db m40529) HM
Georgia (Lee County), Leesburg — 088-4 — Lee County
Lee County was created by Acts of June 9, 1825 and Dec. 11, 1826 from Creek cessions of Jan. 24, 1826 and March 31, 1826. Originally, it contained all land in Randolph, Stewart, Quitman, Sumter, Terrell, Webster and part of Marion and Clay Counties. . . . — Map (db m40125) HM
Georgia (Lee County), Leesburg — 088-1 — Noted Indian Settlement
Kennard's Settlement and Cowpens, a major Creek Indian center of Southwest Georgia, was located three and three-fourths miles west of here, on the east side of Kinchafoonee Creek. The site was named for Jack and William Kennard, two Lower Creek . . . — Map (db m9844) HM
Georgia (Lee County), Smithville — 088-5 — Pursuit of Jefferson Davis
Early in May, 1865, Federal cavalry under command of Col. R. H. G. Minty, U.S.A., passed through Smithville in pursuit of Jefferson Davis. They camped for one night near this spot, moved west to Cuthbert, then to Eufaula, Ala., south to Fort Gaines, . . . — Map (db m40013) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.