Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Leeds & Grenville Counties Ontario Historical Markers

 
Wideview of Blockhouse Island Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, August 4, 2015
Wideview of Blockhouse Island Marker
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Blockhouse Island
On this island, formerly known as Hospital Island, stood the sheds erected to house emigrants who were victims of cholera in the great epidemic of 1832. Many persons died here, including Doctor Robert Gilmour, a native of Scotland and president of . . . — Map (db m87065) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Former Brockville Post Office
Completed in 1886 this structure was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller, Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. The Brockville Post Office shows the sensitivity often displayed by Fuller and his staff. The . . . — Map (db m87064) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Forsyth’s Raid 1813
On the night of February 6-7, 1813, Major Benjamin Forsyth of the United States Army, with a detachment of regulars and militia numbering about 200 men, crossed the frozen St. Lawrence River from Morristown, N.Y., and attacked Brockville. The . . . — Map (db m83482) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Fulford Place
Built in 1899 – 1900, this eclectic mansion evokes the opulent lifestyle of Canada's industrial elite at the turn of the century. Designed by American architect A. W. Fuller, it was the spacious residence of Senator George T. Fulford . . . — Map (db m87017) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B.(1769-1812)
Brockville was named after the Provisional Civi Administrator of Upper Canada and the Commanding Officier of the British forces in Upper Canada during the War of 1812-1814. The government of Upper Canada first named this community . . . — Map (db m83527) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — George Chaffey1848 - 1932
Born at Brockville, Canada West, Chaffey became a shipbuilder on the Great Lakes and the inventor of a new type of propeller. Subsequently he went to California where, in partnership with his brother, he built a model irrigation project and founded . . . — Map (db m87019) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — James Morris1798 - 1865
A prominent Canadian politician, Morris was born in Paisley, Scotland. His family immigrated to Canada in 1801 and later settled in Elizabethtown (Brockville). He joined his brothers, Alexander and William, in business there about 1820 and by 1836 . . . — Map (db m87063) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Johnstown District Court House and Gaol
In 1808 the provincial government authorized the erection of a court house and gaol in Elizabethtown (Brockville) to serve the District of Johnstown created ten years earlier. By 1811 a brick structure had been built here on land donated by William . . . — Map (db m83480) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Leeds-Grenville County Court House
Symbols of law and authority to a new and changing society, the district court houses of Upper Canada were architecturally prominent buildings in the colony. Of these, one of the most grandiose is the former Johnstown District court house which was . . . — Map (db m87027) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876
A prominent provincial politician, Gowan was born in County Wexford, Ireland. He came to Upper Canada in 1829 and immediately immersed himself in political affairs. Drawing upon his experience in the Irish Orange Order, Gowan established the Grand . . . — Map (db m83479) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Sally Grant
"Sally Grant" is the familiar name of the Statue of Justice which was conceived in 1841 by John G. Howard, the architect of this Court House, and carved by William Holmes, a Brockville carpenter and builder. The eleven foot high figure, made of . . . — Map (db m87957) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Senator George T. Fulford1852 - 1905
Born and raised in Brockville, George Taylor Fulford apprenticed at his brother's drugstore and took charge of it himself at age 22. Five years later, he was elected to the first of 12 terms as alderman. Fulford entered the patent-medicine trade in . . . — Map (db m87015) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Sir William Buell Richards1815 - 1889
Born at Brockville and called to the bar of Upper Canada in 1837, Richards represented Leeds in the Legislative Assembly (1848–53) and served as Attorney General for Canada West in the Hincks-Morin administration (1851–3). Appointed . . . — Map (db m87029) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — The Brockville "Van" or CabooseBuilt 1954 - Donated, restored and placed here, 1987
This steel caboose was built in 1954 for the Canadian Pacific Railway (C.P.R.) at their Angus Shops in Montréal. It served the Eastern Division of the railway for many years. Cabooses, or "vans" to trainmen, were usually used at the end of freight . . . — Map (db m87959) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — The Brockville Tunnel1860
Construction of Canada's first railway tunnel, which runs from this point for 1,730 feet in a northerly direction, began in September, 1854. Designed to give the Brockville and Ottawa Railway access to the riverfront, it was opened on December 31, . . . — Map (db m87075) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — William Buell, Sr.1751 - 1832
Renowned as the founder of Brockville, Buell was born in Hebron, Connecticut. Shortly after the outbreak of the American Revolution he moved to Québec where he joined the British forces and eventually served as a commissioned officer in the King's . . . — Map (db m87079) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — William Buell’s 1816 Map of Brockville
This is one of the earliest maps of the Village of Brockville and shows many of the early details upon which the later Town, and then City of Brockville have been superimposed. The war of 1812-15 has just been over for a short time. The area . . . — Map (db m83484) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Cardinal — St. Paul's Church
In 1828 Richard Duncan Fraser, the son of an early Loyalist settler, Captain Thomas Fraser, donated land here for the building of a church to serve the Anglicans in this area. Their minister, the Reverend J.G. Weagandt, the missionary stationed at . . . — Map (db m86849) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Cardinal — The Founding of Cardinal
The grist-mill built at Point Cardinal by Hugh Munro about 1796 fostered the development here of a small settlement. A sawmill and store were later erected, and in 1837 a post-office, "Edwardsburgh", was established. In 1858, attracted by abundant . . . — Map (db m86852) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Darlingside

Darlingside is a rare surviving example of the wood depots which provided an essential fuelling service during the early phase of steamboat navigation on Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence River. Thomas Darling, a Scottish immigrant, . . . — Map (db m102088) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Darling Store / Le magasin DarlingCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

Long before roads penetrated the dense forests of the Thousand Islands, the St. Lawrence River was the highway to the interior of Canada.

Vessels of all types plied the waters. Bateaux and durham boats carried produce from nearby farms to . . . — Map (db m102092) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Darlingside — The Thousand IslandsCanada's National Parks and National Historic Sites

The Thousand Islands are the roots of an ancient Precambrian mountain range ground down by successive glaciations to granite bedrock. Over the centuries the bare, gnarled hills were covered with rich forests and carpets of wildflowers. Where . . . — Map (db m102090) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Darlingside — Thousand Islands Bridge System1938

The tons of explosives, concrete and steel used to create the five spans of the bridge system only hint of the tremendous efforts to create the bridge system. Glad of getting work in the Great Depression, the workers took any job they could . . . — Map (db m102054) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Colonel Joel Stone1749-1833
Born in Connecticut, Stone forfeited his home and property there when he fled to New York to serve with the Loyalist militia during the American Revolution. He came to Canada in 1786, settled with his family in New Johnstown (now Cornwall) and was . . . — Map (db m90006) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Gananoque
English: A vulnerable point on the vital line of supply from Lower Canada in the War of 1812-14. Raided on the 21st September, 1812, when the bridge was broken up. Fortified by the Leeds Militia and garrisoned in turn by the 104th, 41st, . . . — Map (db m83528) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Gananoque Town Hall
Built about 1831-32, and designed in the late phase of the Neo-Classic style, this structure is among the best of its type remaining in Ontario. Constructed as a dwelling for John McDonald, a local landowner, merchant, postmaster and later a member . . . — Map (db m83532) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Private John Henry (Harry) BrownVictoria Cross — Born Gananoque 9 May 1898 Died of wounds 17 August 1917, age 19
John Henry Brown enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force on 18 August 1916 and reported to the 10th battalion in France in late June 1917. On 15 August his unit captured Hill 70, just east of Vimy Ridge. But on 16 August it was . . . — Map (db m90007) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Raid on Gananoque1812
On September 21, 1812, a United States force of some 200 regulars and militia under Capt. Benjamin Forsyth attacked Gananoque. The village was an important forwarding point for supplies moving up the St. Lawrence from Montreal to Kingston and was . . . — Map (db m83531) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — War of 1812-1814
During the war of 1812, Gananoque was a strategic point along the St. Lawrence River corridor. All supplies heading west to support British and Canadian forces had to pass through this channel. On September 21, 1812, a company of U.S. army rifleman . . . — Map (db m90003) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Johnstown — Eastern Ontario's First Court House and Gaol
Eastern Ontario's first Court House and Gaol was constructed on the waterfront south of this site between 1795 and 1797. The complex included a chamber for the District Court on the upper floor as well as cells and a room for the jailer on the . . . — Map (db m86949) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Johnstown — Johnstown 1789
In 1789-90 a town plot of one mile square was laid out in this vicinity. Many Loyalists, including Sir John Johnson, obtained lots in the settlement. A sawmill and grist-mill were constructed, and in 1793 it was made the administrative centre of . . . — Map (db m86853) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Kemptville — Prescott Street Bridge

The South Branch of the Rideau River has played a vital part in the history of Kemptville. The small settlement, first known as "The Branch" when it was established in the early 1800s, then became known as Clothier's Mill before it was renamed . . . — Map (db m102077) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Kemptville — St. James' Memorial Church

This Church was erected "to the honour of Almighty God and in memory of the late Venerable Archdeacon Patton, first Rector of this Parish." The cornerstone was laid on 28th. May 1878 by the Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, Lord Bishop of Ontario. . . . — Map (db m102076) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Lansdowne — Elizabeth Rabb Beatty1856 - 1939
One of the earliest Canadian female medical missionaries, Elizabeth Rabb Beatty was born near Caintown and moved to Lansdowne where she attended local schools. She taught in Leeds County before entering Queen's University, Kingston, to study . . . — Map (db m87198) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Lansdowne — Thousand Islands International Bridge

This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of . . . — Map (db m124428) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — Dorothy Martha Dumbrille1897-1981
Described as a writer "having a mission", this novelist, poet and historian authored ten books. Born in Crysler, she was the daughter of an Anglican priest, The Venerable Archdeacon Rupert J. Dumbrille and his wife. She lived in many Eastern . . . — Map (db m89998) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — Dumbrille's Store
Built as a house in the 1850s, this sturdy stone building was altered in 1877 by John Dumbrille, when he relocated his general store from across the street in front of his residence "Sprucelawn". In 1879 he was appointed Maitland's postmaster and . . . — Map (db m89979) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — Homewood
Construction of Homewood was begun in 1800 by Dr. Solomon Jones, a prominent Loyalist, local officeholder and early resident of this region. With its balanced five-bay façade, centre hallway plan and classical detailing, it reflects the influence . . . — Map (db m89978) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O.1890-1960
Born in Lachute, Québec, MacDowell moved to Maitland in 1897. He attended local schools and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1915. During World War I, he enlisted, on January 9, 1915, in the 38th Battalion, C.E.F. On April 9, 1917, . . . — Map (db m89999) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — Pointe Au Baril
English text: The barques "Iroquoise" and "Outaouaise", the last French ships of war that navigated Lake Ontario, were built on this point, then called Pointe Au Baril. On 17th August, 1760, the Outaouaise, commanded by Captain La Broquerie, . . . — Map (db m87011) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — St. James Church 1826
Among Augusta Township's earliest settlers were a number of Anglican Loyalists who, by 1785, we're holding services in private houses. The first resident missionary, the Reverend John Bethune, was appointed to this area in 1814. Reverend Robert . . . — Map (db m90002) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74A.F. & A.M.
In a building on property contiguous to this site, St. James Lodge No. 74 (originally No. 40) was founded 9 February 1857. The Christian Order of Masonry, then known as the Sovereign Grand Conclave of England and Wales was instituted here 6 March . . . — Map (db m90000) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Maitland — The Founding of Maitland
In this vicinity, the site of a shipyard used during both the late French and early British periods, a village plot was laid out in 1824 for Jehiel and Ziba Phillips. Adjacent to it George Longley, a recent English emigrant, acquired an estate on . . . — Map (db m89996) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — Chimney Island (Bridge Island)
During the War of 1812 the St. Lawrence was the life-line of Upper Canada along which virtually all military and civilian supplies were transported from Montréal to Kingston. Fear that the Americans might attempt to block the passage of materiel . . . — Map (db m87163) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — The Macdonald Cartier Freeway

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), the longest freeway operated without tolls by a single highway authority in North America.

Covering 510 miles between Windsor on the United States . . . — Map (db m115171) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — The Macdonald Cartier Freeway

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), the longest freeway operated without tolls by a single highway authority in North America.

Covering 510 miles between Windsor on the United States . . . — Map (db m124488) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850
This company, incorporated in 1850, built a railway from Prescott to Bytown (Ottawa) for the shipment of lumber and farm products to markets of the north-eastern United States and Montreal. Substantial funds were raised at Bytown, Prescott and . . . — Map (db m83430) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Capture of Ogdensburg1813
On the morning of February 22, 1813, Lieutenant-Colonel "Red George" Macdonell of the Glengarry Light Infantry set out from Prescott with a force of some 480 regulars and militia to capture the strong United States military post at Ogdensburg. The . . . — Map (db m86971) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Col. Edward Jessup1735-1816
Born in Stamford, Connecticut, he forfeited 500,000 acres near Albany, New York, by taking up arms for the King on the outbreak of the American Revolution. He raised the Loyal (Jessup’s) Rangers and served under Burgoyne. This corps was disbanded . . . — Map (db m83429) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Fort Wellington
English: The first Fort Wellington was erected on this site during the War of 1812 to shelter British regular troops and Canadian militia defending the vital St. Lawrence River transportation route. In February 1813 those soldiers crossed . . . — Map (db m83365) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Grand Trunk RailwayPrescott
The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to run from Sarnia to Portland, Maine. Although it took over existing lines, new ones had to be built, including sections of the key Toronto to Montréal line completed by the noted English engineering firm . . . — Map (db m45781) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Justus Sherwood1747 - 1798
Born in Connecticut, Sherwood settled in Vermont in 1774. On the outbreak of the American Revolution he was arrested as a Loyalist, but escaped to join the British at Crown Point. He was taken prisoner at Saratoga in 1777, and after being exchanged . . . — Map (db m86972) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Major James Morrow Walsh1840-1905
Born and educated in Prescott, Walsh was trained at military schools at Kingston and by 1873 had attained the rank of Major in the militia. In that year he was commissioned in the newly formed North-West Mounted Police. While in charge at Fort . . . — Map (db m86953) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Prescott Barracks and Hospital
The front portion of this structure one of the earliest surviving military buildings in Ontario, was constructed as a residence about 1810 by Colonel Edward Jessup, the founder of Prescott. Following the outbreak of the War of 1812, the stone house . . . — Map (db m86950) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Prescott War Memorial
World War I 1914-1918 Arthur E. Baker • Howard Baker • Philip V. Blacklock • Cecil Bovaird • Ward W. Burke • John H. Davy • Jacob S. Doyle • G. Harvey Ewart • Ira H. Glasgow • Albert Hurlbert • Royal W. Kingston • Roy Lindsay • John A. . . . — Map (db m83466) WM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Sir Richard William Scott1825-1913
English: Born at Prescott, Scott was admitted to the bar in 1848 and practiced law in Ottawa. As a member of the legislature of United Canada (1857-63) he sponsored the Separate School Act of 1863. Subsequently, he represented Ottawa in . . . — Map (db m83364) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — The Battle of the WindmillLa Bataille du Moulin à Vent
English: After the 1837 Rebellions many rebels fled to the United States where a few joined American sympathizers in a new attempt to overthrow British rule in Canada. On 12 November 1838 they landed 190 men here and seized this windmill and . . . — Map (db m83433) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — The Battle of the WindmillLa Bataille du Moulin à Vent
English: Prelude to the Battle In 1837 the British army and loyal militia crushed the first armed revolt in Upper and Lowr Canada. Many rebels fled to the United States. The exiles joined with American sympathisers to form a secret . . . — Map (db m83476) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville counties), Prescott — The Blue Church
On January 1, 1790, inhabitants of Augusta and Elizabethtown townships agreed to build a church here in the burying yard of the proposed town of "New Oswegatchie". Subscriptions were inadequate and nothing was built by 1804 when Barbara Heck, the . . . — Map (db m87008) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — The Forwarding Trade at Prescott
Before the completion of the canals between here and Montreal in 1847, Prescott was the eastern terminus of Great Lakes navigation. Established at the head of Galops Rapids in 1810, it soon became a centre for the forwarding, or shipping, trade and . . . — Map (db m86956) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Welcome to the Site of The Battle of the Windmill
English: You are standing on a battlefield where men fought and died. This battle took place in November 1838, during the Canadian rebellions. One side fought to "liberate" Canada from British rule. The other side rallied to protect . . . — Map (db m83497) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Roebuck — Roebuck Indian Village Site
Approximately 500 years ago an Iroquoian agricultural community of about 1600 persons occupied this site. Archaeological excavations suggested approximately 40 communal longhouses, averaging nearly 100 feet in length, stood in this village, . . . — Map (db m89977) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Spencerville — The Founding of Spencerville
By 1821 Peleg Spencer was operating a grist-mill and sawmill on the South Nation River on a Clergy Lot he had leased in 1817, having previously owned a sawmill on the site from 1811 till 1814. David Spencer, son of Peleg, took over the mills in . . . — Map (db m89974) HM

63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.