Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lehigh County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Casting House at Lock Ridge Furnace complex image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 5, 2015
Casting House at Lock Ridge Furnace complex
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Casting PigsLock Ridge Furnace
This portion of the iron complex was known as the casting house. A chute from the hearth under Stack #7 brought molten iron into the large, open room. The floor of the room was covered in deep sand, which was shaped into molds. As the molten iron . . . — Map (db m85236) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — From Production to PreservationLock Ridge Iron Furnace
After the last cast After Lock Ridge’s last cast in 1921, the company shuttered the complex, and it sat abandoned for many years. Historic preservation was not yet a major concern, and few people thought of the complex as a place worthy of . . . — Map (db m85205) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Lock Ridge Furnace
From charcoal to “stone coal” During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, the Lehigh Valley, with its wealth of trees for charcoal fuel and substantial sources of ore, attracted many enterprising iron facilities to . . . — Map (db m85224) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Lock Ridge Iron Furnace
Representative of the many iron furnaces in the Lehigh Valley, Lock Ridge was constructed here in 1868, operated until 1921, and was the last furnace in the US to solely use anthracite coal as fuel. By the late 19th century the Lehigh Valley was the . . . — Map (db m85180) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Servicing the FurnaceLock Ridge Furnace and Park
Two “Donkeys” and a Massasoit Iron was actually produced in the furnaces, but much of the action at Lock Ridge took place on the surrounding railroad tracks and in the nearby outbuildings. At the height of production, three trains . . . — Map (db m85282) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Allentown
Founded 1762 by the noted colonial leader and jurist, William Allen. Known until 1834 as Northampton. Here the Liberty Bell was hidden in 1777, and Revolutionary wounded hospitalized. City incorporation, 1867. Long a textile and cement center. — Map (db m29531) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Allentown
Founded 1762 by the noted colonial leader and the jurist, William Allen. Known until 1834 as Northampton. Here the Liberty Bell was hidden in 1777, and Revolutionary wounded hospitalized. City incorporation, 1867. Long a textile and cement center. — Map (db m85356) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Allentown
Founded 1762 by the noted colonial leader and jurist, William Allen. Known until 1834 as Northampton. Here the Liberty Bell was hidden in 1777, and Revolutionary wounded hospitalized. City incorporation, 1867. Long a textile and cement center. — Map (db m85361) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Civil War MemorialOne Flag • One Country

This column commemorates the valor and patriotism of the Soldiers and Sailors of the County of Lehigh in the War of 1861 - 65.

Centennial Rededication October 1899 to October 1999 of the Soldiers and Sailors . . . — Map (db m126745) WM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Harriet A. Baker(1829 - 1913)
This African-American evangelist opened a mission about 1900 at 738 North Penn Street, where she preached until her death. In 1914 her mission became the first home of St. James A.M.E. Zion Church, which was built at this location in 1936. — Map (db m85358) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Lehigh County
Formed March 6, 1812 from part of Northampton County and named for the Lehigh River. Home of George Taylor, signer of Declaration of Independence. County seat of Allentown sheltered the Liberty Bell during occupation of Philadelphia, 1777-1778. — Map (db m29525) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Portland Cement
This industry was born in the Lehigh Valley. David O. Saylor first made portland cement at Coplay in 1871. Here also was the first use of the rotary kiln process commercially Nov. 8, 1889. This region has continued to lead in the industry. — Map (db m29935) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — The Saving of the Liberty Bell

In commemoration of the saving of the Liberty Bell from the British, September 1777 Erected to the memory of John Jacob Mickley Commissary of Issues, and member of the General Committee from Whitehall . . . — Map (db m124214) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Trout Hall
Built, 1769-70, by James Allen, son of Allentown's founder, William Allen. Later known as the Livingston Mansion. In 1848 it became Allentown Seminary, and in 1867 part of Muhlenberg College. Now the home of the Lehigh County Historical Society. — Map (db m85359) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Zion Church Military Hospital

In memory of the Soldiers of the Continental Army who suffered and died in Zion Church used as a military hospital from September 1777 to April 1779. This tablet is erected by the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the . . . — Map (db m124246) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Zion's Reformed Church

Founded 1762, site of a Revolutionary War Hospital, Birthplace of of [sic] the local Public School System and a College now Cedar Crest College.

Also known as the "Liberty Bell Church" . . . — Map (db m124249) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Allentown — Zollinger-Harned Department Store

Constructed in 1924 as the Zollinger-Harned Department Store, this building is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. It was acquired and renovated by Sovereign Realty 1983-III, Ltd.

Developer: Sovereign Realty, Inc., a . . . — Map (db m124213) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Catasauqua — Biery's Port
First structure, a grist mill, was built about 1752. Starting 1801, Frederick Biery developed the area commercially; erected several landmark stone buildings. This is the oldest part of Catasauqua (incorporated 1853) which was an early home to the . . . — Map (db m85376) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Catasauqua — Bryden Horse Shoe Works
Established in 1882, this plant was one of the largest of its kind in the world. It produced a wide variety of horseshoes using the unique patented process of George Bryden. Their high quality led to international demand and distribution. Thousands . . . — Map (db m85400) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Catasauqua — Crane Iron Works
The first long-term, commercially successful anthracite iron furnace opened July 4, 1840, here in Catasauqua. Built for the Lehigh Crane Iron Co. by David Thomas, it soon made 50-60 tons of pig iron a week. By 1868 the works had six furnaces; . . . — Map (db m85377) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Catasauqua — David Thomas
"Father of the American anthracite iron industry" lived here. A native of Wales, he built Crane Iron Works, deemed the world's first anthracite iron furnace to be completely successful, both commercially & from an engineering standpoint. — Map (db m85399) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Catasauqua — George Taylor(1716-1781)
Signer, Declaration of Independence, lived here. Delegate to Continental Congress, appointed July 1776. In the provincial Assembly (elected 1764) he opposed a royal government. An ironmaster. House built 1768; a National Historic Landmark. — Map (db m85375) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coopersburg — VFW Post 3405 Veterans Memorial
In honor of the men and women from southern Lehigh who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America from 1775 to the present — Map (db m26853) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coopersburg — VFW Post 3405 Vietnam Memorial
In gratitude to those people of southern Lehigh area who have served in Viet Nam — Map (db m26855) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — Coplay Made Cement: Cement Made CoplaySaylor Cement Museum — 1894-1904
In 1900, the scene before you was a smelly, dirty, noisy inferno. Trains roared in, carrying coal from the nearby northern anthracite fields and local cement rock, a form of limestone. Day and night smoke and dust belched from the towering kilns. . . . — Map (db m85452) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — Discovery of Portland CementSaylor Cement Museum
The modern cement industry began in 1756 when John Smeaton, an English engineer succeeded in producing a hydraulic cement that would harden under water. In 1824, Joseph Aspdin, an English bricklayer, produced a new cement by burning chalk and clay . . . — Map (db m85450) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — First Cement
David O. Saylor was the first to make portland cement in the United States, at Coplay in 1871. First use of the rotary kiln to manufacture cement on a commercial scale also was here Nov. 8, 1889. — Map (db m85418) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — Lehigh Valley Rock Suitable for Hydraulic CementSaylor Cement Museum
In the Lehigh Valley rock suitable for hydraulic cement had been found near the present locations of Palmerton and Northampton when the Lehigh Canal was built. Mills to produce hydraulic cement were erected at these sites before the Civil War. It . . . — Map (db m85451) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — Saylor Park-WelcomeDavid O. Saylor-The Father of Portland Cement Industry in America — 1827-1884
David Oliver Saylor was born on October 20, 1827 in Hanover Township, Lehigh County. In 1866, he organized the Coplay Cement Company for the manufacture of natural cement. He soon began experiments to produce Portland cement in 1871. He was granted . . . — Map (db m85447) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Coplay — The Schoefer KilnsSaylor Cement Museum
Portland cement is essentially an artificial product. It is made by burning various minerals in a kiln at intensive heat to produce clinker. The upright dome kiln was the first type used in America. An improvement was the Schoefer vertical kiln with . . . — Map (db m85448) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — Fort Deshler
A substantial stone structure, used as a military post and as a refuge for settlers against attack, was nearby on the north bank of Coplay Creek. It was built in 1760 by Adam Deshler, a native of Switzerland. Remaining in his family for several . . . — Map (db m85512) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — The Reformed Pastors of the Egypt Union ChurchIn Memory Of

John Philip Boehm, 1734 John Henry Goetschius, 1736-1739 Peter Henry Dorsius, 1740 John Philip Boehm, 1741 John Conrad Wuert, 1742-1744 John Philip Boehm, 1745-1749 John Jacob Wissler, 1752-1754 Philip Jacob Michael, 1755-1763 . . . — Map (db m124053) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — Troxell-Steckel Farmhouse1756
This Pennsylvania German farmhouse was constructed in 1756 by John Peter Troxell, an immigrant from Germany in search of a better life. When the structure was built, twenty years before the Declaration of Independence was signed, this farm sat on . . . — Map (db m85515) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — Troxell-Steckel House
Just west of here is the house built originally by John Peter Troxel in 1756 and acquired by Peter Steckel in 1768. It was restored in 1943 and is now owned and maintained as a museum by the Lehigh County Historical Society. — Map (db m85513) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — Troxell-Steckel House
Just west of here is the house built originally by John Peter Troxel in 1756 and acquired by Peter Steckel in 1768. It was restored in 1943 and is now owned and maintained as a museum by the Lehigh County Historical Society. — Map (db m85514) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — Veterans Memorial

In honor of all men & women who served our country in the Armed Forces — Map (db m124089) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — War and Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m124090) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Egypt — World War Memorial1917 • Honor Roll • 1918 — For God And Country

In honor of the members of the Egypt Congregations and Community who served in the World War

☆☆ Killed in Action ☆☆ Clifford Gangeware • Edwin Miller • Harry Miller

☆ Died in Service . . . — Map (db m124054) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Emmaus — Emmaus
Called by the Indians "Macungie," or "feeding place of the bears." Area settlement begun in 1730's, and a Shelter House was erected in 1734. Moravians established a "Gemein-Ort," or congregational village, and named it after the biblical town of . . . — Map (db m85354) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Fogelsville — War Memorial

In memory of our departed soldiers ————————————— Revolutionary War Heinrich Mohr • Herman Mohr • George Smith . . . — Map (db m111835) WM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Fogelsville — World War II and Korean Conflict Memorial

Dedicated to those who served their country in the Armed Forces of the United States

World War II 1941 — 1945

Korean Conflict 1950 — 1953 — Map (db m111833) WM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Laurys Station — Exploring the Corridor1828 - 1932

“Our residents take pride and partner in their heritage—they understand the meaning of what we have and act to preserve it” Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor and State Heritage Park, Management Action . . . — Map (db m124051) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Laurys Station — From Rails to Trails

"Since most of the land was donated to the railroads by the American public in the first place, we believe it should be returned to the public." David Burwell, President, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, . . . — Map (db m124049) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Lynnport — Fort Everett
A blockhouse, erected about 1756, stood 300 feet north of here. It was a place of refuge and defense against raids in French and Indian War days. The garrison, here, guarded the area south of Blue Mountain, between the Schuylkill and Lehigh Rivers — Map (db m85706) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — First School Slate Factory
The first factory to produce blackboard and school slates common in U.S. classrooms opened nearby in 1847. Slate production peaked at over one million pieces early in the 20th century, leading to Slatington’s distinction as the nation’s top slate . . . — Map (db m85565) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Friedens
The land that comprised Washington Township was separated from Heidelberg Township in 1847. The establishment of the Union Church led to the region’s settlement. John Peters, the area’s first landowner, was the namesake for the village known as . . . — Map (db m85686) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — George Kern Home
Slatington’s oldest surviving home was erected in 1824 by Nicholas Kern’s grandson George. The structure served as Slatington’s first hotel and was also a popular tavern. Currently this colonial period stone home is a private residence. — Map (db m85654) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Hose Co. No. 1 Borough Hall
Slatington Borough Council purchased this property in 1888 to erect the town’s first fire station. Council decided the new building would house both the fire company and Slatington’s municipal offices. Dedicated on November 28, 1889, the building . . . — Map (db m85685) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — John Kern Barn
Slatington's oldest surviving structure was built circa 1807, by Nicholas Kern's grandson John. Nicholas Kern's Homestead once occupied the area in front of the barn. The barn's western portion was removed in 1894 to accommodate the opening of . . . — Map (db m85655) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Kern Settlers
The areas first settler Nicholas Kern emigrated from the Palatinate area of Germany circa 1730 on board the ship Adventurer. Kern moved his family from south Whitehall Township after acquiring 700 acres in present day Slatington. The Kerns were . . . — Map (db m85563) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Lehigh Valley Railroad Station1862 -1969
Entrepreneur Asa Parker founded the Lehigh Valley Railroad (LVRR) in 1853 to more efficiently transport anthracite coal to market. A freight and passenger station was constructed on this site in 1862. The LVRR Slatedale Branch opened in 1870 for the . . . — Map (db m85695) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Neff House Hotel
This building was constructed in 1850 by John Remaley; whose grandfather Ambrose was an original settler to the area. Issued a liquor license in 1851 the building was originally called Remaley House, and later known as The Slatington Hotel. Edward . . . — Map (db m85656) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Slate Industry
One of the largest slate-producing centers in the United States. Welsh slate entrepreneur William Roberts first sighted slate in 1844 near a local barn. He and other Welsh immigrants established and worked in numerous slate quarries in this region. . . . — Map (db m85564) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Truckers Mill
A sawmill, built before 1755, and used as a station for troops at time of the French and Indian War, stood about 200 feet north of here. Known also as Kern’s Fort, its position on two pioneer roads gave it much military value. — Map (db m85687) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Warrior’s Path
Originally built by Indians, the Warrior’s path was a travel and trading route, which ran along the Lehigh River from Weissport’s Fort Allen to Easton. A spur trail traveled along the north side of Trout Creek. This spur trail continued up Factory . . . — Map (db m85653) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Trexlertown — The Velodrome Story24 Acres and a Vision
The Valley Preferred Cycling Center, the most celebrated velodrome in modern American cycling history, traces its roots to the dream of one inspired visionary and its legendary success to the dreams of countless champions who began their trek to . . . — Map (db m59294) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Vera Cruz — Indian Jasper Quarries
The most famous of Pennsylvania's Indian quarries may be seen in the woods a few hundred yards southwest of here. Articles made from the jasper were carried by the Indians as far as New England. — Map (db m85304) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Vera Cruz — Jasper Park Indian
The name Jasper Park remains a legacy to the labors of the Indian Clan of Chief Lappawinze of the area Lenape Indians who mined Jasper for their tools and arrow heads in the early 1700's in the Jasper quarry pits in this park. This monument . . . — Map (db m85302) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Whitehall — Veterans Memorial

In memory and honor of all who have served our country...

Duty • Honor • Courage • Sacrifice

Dedicated on Memorial Day May 29, 2017 — Map (db m124163) WM


59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.