Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lenawee County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Woodstock Manual Labor Institute Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., August 18, 2010
Woodstock Manual Labor Institute Marker
Michigan (Lenawee County), Addison — S0297 — Woodstock Manual Labor Institute
Prior Foster, an Ohio Negro, began this school "in the woods" in 1844 and four years later it was incorporated. Designed to serve "colored people and others," the Institute taught a full range of subjects and was one of the nation's first integrated . . . — Map (db m34694) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — 227 — Adrian College
Chartered on March 28, 1859, Adrian College traces its origins back to a Wesleyan Methodist theological institute founded at Leoni, Michigan in 1845. This institution later became Michigan Union College. Strongly antislavery in its sentiments, the . . . — Map (db m102933) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2263 — Adrian Fire Department / Adrian Engine House No. 1
Adrian Fire Department Adrian founded its fire department in 1841. By 1851, it had 102 male volunteers, who served in two companies. They pulled hand pumpers and hose carts to fires, using water from city-built reservoirs. In 1867, the city . . . — Map (db m102861) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1844 — Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse / Raisin Valley Friends Church
Adrian Monthly Meetinghouse Quakers from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania settled in southeastern Michigan in the early nineteenth century. In June 1831 Adrian Quakers held their first meeting in the home of Darius Comstock. In 1834 . . . — Map (db m102686) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Governors
William Greenly was born in New York and came to Adrian in 1836. He became a lawyer and in 1838 was elected a state senator on the Democratic ticket. In 1846 Greenly was elected lieutenant governor. When Governor Alpheus Felch resigned a year . . . — Map (db m104377) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Prominent Leaders
Thomas Cooley was the greatest lawyer and judge ever to come out of Lenawee County and is generally considered the finest legal mind Michigan produced during the nineteenth century. During the 1840s and 1850s, Cooley partnered with several local . . . — Map (db m104514) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — S679 — Camp Williams / Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry
Camp Williams At the outbreak of the Civil War in early 1861, the trustees of Adrian College offered the use of campus buildings and grounds to the Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry for training. This became known as Camp Williams. The . . . — Map (db m102927) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Charles Miller Croswell
In memory of Charles Miller Croswell Born at Newburgh New York 31 October 1825 Died 13 December 1886 Secretary of the State Convention at Jackson where the Republican Party of Michigan was organized Mayor of Adrian State . . . — Map (db m102863) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Cooley Law Office — Michigan Legal Milestones
Here on the south side of Maumee Street in 1848, Thomas M. Cooley, a giant of the Michigan Law, established his first law office. He was a partner in the firm of Beaman, Beecher and Cooley and then established a law firm with Charles M. Croswell, . . . — Map (db m102922) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L368 — County Courthouse
Lenawee County was first settled in 1824 at Tecumseh, which the Territorial Legislature subsequently made the county seat. Pioneers, mostly from upper New York State, then established Blissfield and Adrian, the later called Logan. The largest Indian . . . — Map (db m102761) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Frank Navin & The Detroit Tigers
Frank Navin was the most famous Adrian native involved in professional baseball in his day. Born in Adrian in 1871, Navin went to Detroit in 1889, where he worked as a bookkeeper. He eventually became the right-hand man to Sanuel F. Angus, the . . . — Map (db m104549) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — HB12 — Governor Charles M. Croswell / Croswell House
Governor Charles M. Croswell Charles Miller Croswell (1825-1886) was born in New York. A lawyer and civic leader, he was the secretary of the Republican Party's founding convention in Jackson. He also drafted Michigan's act ratifying the . . . — Map (db m102862) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of Kiwanis Trail and Trestle Park
Early in 1974, with much foresight, the City of Adrian adopted a Land Use Plan that called for the acquisition of all river bank property between Riverside and Island Parks. The goal was to connect the two major city parks with a walkway. A major . . . — Map (db m104477) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of the Adrian Kiwanis Club
The Adrian Kiwanis Club was begun in 1940, some 35 years after Kiwanis was founded in Detroit. The Adrian club was chartered by the Hillsdale Kiwanis Club and Charter Night was September 25, 1940 with an initial membership of 34. The purpose of . . . — Map (db m104414) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Laura Haviland — 1808 - 1898
Laura Haviland, affectionately known as Aunt Laura, is probably the best-known and most-admired person who ever lived in Lenawee County. The reason for this admiration and acclaim lies in Mrs. Haviland's life-long devotion to helping others and in . . . — Map (db m102884) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Laura Smith Haviland — 1808 - 1898
Front Side Erected by the Adrian Woman's Christian Temperance Union and the Haviland Memorial Association "I was thirsty and ye gave me drink." Matthew XXV 35 Left Side A tribute to a life consecrated to the . . . — Map (db m103220) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2102 — Lenawee County Fairgrounds
The Agricultural Society of Lenawee County organized and held its first fair in 1839, making it one of Michigans oldest county fairs. The fair originally took place in downtown Adrian between River Street and the River Raisin. In 1879 the grandstand . . . — Map (db m102733) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L2047 — Oakwood Cemetery
With its parklike setting, wooded pathways and variety of monuments, Oakwood Cemetery is an outstanding Victorian Era cemetery. Local citizens, including Adrian founder Addison Comstock, created Oakwood Cemetery in 1848. Originally 22 acres, by 1968 . . . — Map (db m102687) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Professional Baseball in Adrian
Adrian got to experience professional baseball in 1894 when the Adrian Light Guard baseball team was formed to play in the Michigan Baseball League. Although the league lasted only one year, Adrian fielded great players such as star pitcher and . . . — Map (db m104596) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L1381 — Second Baptist Church
In 1866 Laura Smith Haviland, a former abolitionist, persuaded several African Americans in Washington, DC. to migrate to Adrian. Three years later the Reverend A. I. J. Jackson led the settlers in founding the Second Baptist Church. The . . . — Map (db m102762) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — South Hall Bell — Presented by the Class of 1984
Installed atop South Hall in 1872, this bell marked the pace of life at Adrian College for many years. Upon the demolition of South Hall in 1965, the bell was placed in the Carillon Tower which marks the location of South Hall. We, the members . . . — Map (db m103184) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Spirit of Cooperation
The Adrian Kiwanis Club and the City of Adrian have a rich history of working together to make Adrian a better community. With the assistance of the City in site selection, and through significant public support, the Kiwanis Riverview Terrace, a . . . — Map (db m104500) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L887 — St. John's Lutheran Church
The Reverend William Hatterstaedt helped organize St. John's Lutheran Church in 1847. Until their first church was completed in 1849, the original congregation, fourteen German families, met in a church that belonged to the Episcopalians. Services . . . — Map (db m102923) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — L671 — St. Joseph's Catholic Church
German immigrants desiring to practice Catholicism in their native language founded St. Joseph's parish in 1863. Father John G. Ehrenstrasser became the first pastor in 1865. This handsome brick and stone church, the second house of worship for this . . . — Map (db m102734) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The Antislavery - Underground Railroad Movement — 1830 - 1860 — Lenawee County, MI
What was the Underground Railroad? The Underground Railroad existed from around 1830 to the Civil War (1860). It was a secret (underground) network of people organized on Moral grounds to help slaves travel to Canada to find freedom from . . . — Map (db m103201) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The Cane Ceremony
The Cane Ceremony, a traditional part of the Adrian College Commencement, has a rich and colorful heritage. As depicted in this 1940's era drawing by Will Cairns, each Adrian College graduating class ties a ribbon in its class colors to the . . . — Map (db m102941) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The First House Built in Adrian
This tablet marks the site of the first house built in Adrian in 1826 by Addison J. Comstock founder of the city. — Map (db m104402) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Blissfield — 1146A — Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad
[Front Side of Marker] The first railroad operated west of the Alleghenies, the Erie and Kalamazoo, was chartered on April 22, 1833 to connect Port Lawrence (later named Toledo) with the Kalamazoo River via Adrian. A horse-drawn car made . . . — Map (db m27807) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Blissfield — 1146B — Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road / Rail Road
[Front side of Marker]:Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road The first railway in the Northwest Territory, the Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road linked the east coast with the Michigan Territory and points westward. The E&K was chartered on April . . . — Map (db m27804) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Cambridge Township — S611 — St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine
St. Joseph's Church St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, . . . — Map (db m84920) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Cambridge Township — L836 — St. Michael and All Angels Church
The Reverend William Narcissus Lyster founded St. Michael and All Angels Church in 1843. One of only four Episcopal clergy in Michigan at the time, Lyster established several churches in the area. In 1855 the Right Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, the . . . — Map (db m88402) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L474 — Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn
Clinton Early settlers who came here from New York via the Erie Canal named this community in honor of DeWitt Clinton, the governor of their native state. First settled in 1829, Clinton became an important center of trade . . . — Map (db m104925) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L655 — Clinton Woolen Mill
The Clinton Woolen Mill was a vital part of the economy of this area for over 90 years. Clinton's original mill was completed in 1867 at a cost of $95,000. Fire destroyed that structure in 1886. In less than a year, the mill was back in operation in . . . — Map (db m102577) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L1503 — Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family
Jira Payne House This Greek Revival house was built around 1840 by Jira Payne, owner of the Atlas sawmill. The twin fluted Ionic columns, flanked by square Doric piers, were hand hewn from trees on this property. Emil Lorch, . . . — Map (db m104924) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L2148 — Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland
Riverside Mortuary Chapel This chapel, completed in 1913, embodies the dream of Cemetery Superintendent George Kies, the design of Clinton-born architect Wirt Rowland, and the artistry of the mason, a "Mr. Uhr" of Manchester. It . . . — Map (db m104868) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L875 — St. John's Episcopal Church
In 1835, under the leadership of the Reverend William N. Lyster, this church was founded as St. Patrick's Episcopal Church. The Reverend Lyster had organized a church in nearby Tecumseh in 1833, and this church was a mission of that pioneer parish . . . — Map (db m102573) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Tipton — L123 — Davenport House
In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settled here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the . . . — Map (db m103701) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.