Pioneers who settled in this area about 1840 included members of the Middleton, Byrns, Staley, Erwin, Jones, Capp, Bloodworth, Philpott, Easton, Howell, and Hinton families. Nearby Kichai and Kickapoo Indian camps afforded these early settlers . . . — — Map (db m119705) HM
Built 1887 of slate brick, locally made. One of oldest Texas courthouses still in its original state. County created in 1846. County seat was moved from Leona to Centerville in 1850.
Two earlier courthouses have occupied this site. . . . — — Map (db m119577) HM
Here a log building was erected in 1846.
County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846
Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice
Wm. Childress, Probate Judge
Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk
Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff
David Foster, Coroner
Baxter King, . . . — — Map (db m119575) HM