Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Liberty County Texas Historical Markers

 
Three Markers Located at Hwy. 146 & FM 1011 image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, April 22, 2018
Three Markers Located at Hwy. 146 & FM 1011
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 15587 — Atascosito
A Spanish settlement on the Atascosito road was established here in 1757 to prevent French trade with the Indians. Four and one-half miles west of here the road crossed the Trinity. There Alonso de Leon, Spanish explorer, crossed in 1690. The road . . . — Map (db m116714) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9675 — Captain William M. Logan
Born in North Carolina September 17, 1802 Moved to Liberty 1832 Died in Houston, November 22, 1839 Organized and commanded 3rd Co. 2nd Regiment Texas Volunteers Battle of San Jacinto First sheriff of Liberty County . . . — Map (db m117004) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 14366 — Col. Edward Bradford Pickett
Edward Bradford Pickett was a war veteran, lawyer and State Senator who resided in Liberty County. He was born in 1823 or 1824 in Statesville (Wilson Co.), Tennessee. In 1848, he enlisted as a private, serving in the U.S.-Mexico War. By 1851, . . . — Map (db m117038) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — Commercial CornerLiberty County Historic Landmark
The commercial buildings near the courthouse square have played important roles in the economic development of Liberty. German immigrant Henry Steusoff opened a dry goods store in 1866 and a grocery store in 1899 in this block.

In 1896 the new . . . — Map (db m117036) HM

Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9679 — Homesite of George Orr
George Orr first came to Texas in 1813 as a member of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition. He returned in 1821 with his family and established a home at this site on the Old Atascosito Road. The Orr home was an important stopping place for travelers. Orr . . . — Map (db m117003) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 17840 — James B. Woods
James B. Woods, the third representative of the Municipality of Liberty to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence, was born on January 21, 1802 in Kentucky. He arrived in Texas in 1830 and settled in the Atascosito Libertad area of Mexico (now . . . — Map (db m116825) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9636 — Liberty Bicentennial Observance1756 • 1956
Atascosito, established Indian Village prior to 1690. Established as District on Atascosito Road by Spanish government in 1857 to prevent French trade with Indians. — Map (db m117190) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9670 — Liberty County
The home of the Orcoquisac Indians. An East – West trail across the region traveled by Alonso De Leon in 1690 became the “La Bahia” or “Lower Road” of the 18th century and the Opelousas Road of the 19th. At the point . . . — Map (db m117041) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9669 — Liberty County
A trail across this region traveled and described by Alonso de Leon in 1690 became the "La Bahía" or "Lower Road" in the 18th century. First settlement, Atascocita, established in 1757. The town established May 5, 1831 as the "Villa de la Santísima . . . — Map (db m121260) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9673 — Liberty Methodist Church
Late in 1840, the Rev. Hugh Fields, migrating to Texas from Mississippi, preached the first Methodist sermon in Liberty in the log courthouse. Liberty was one of 17 communities in the Republic of Texas to receive a ministerial appointment from the . . . — Map (db m116826) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 13537 — Ott Hotel
Built to capitalize on oil boom prosperity, the Ott Hotel became a Liberty landmark. The regional economy in the early 20th century focused on trade, timber and agriculture. The discovery of large oil fields, including Batson (15 mi. NE) and South . . . — Map (db m116824) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9680 — Plaza Constitucional(Municipal Square)
J. Francisco Madero, appointed by Mexican government to grant land titles, platted Liberty town tract, 1831, with 49 squares in inner city. Five were set aside for public usage — this square has always been site of municipal buildings. In . . . — Map (db m116713) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9648 — Plaza de Carcel y Casas de CorreccionSquare of the Jail and Houses of Correction
Originally mapped 1831, according to laws of "Coahuila and Texas", then the northernmost state of Mexico. Prison sentences were to be worked out here. By 1885, though, this square was in the mercantile section of town, and the plaza to the east . . . — Map (db m116829) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9682 — Plaza de MercadoMarket Place
Originally mapped in 1831 as a public plaza by the Mexican government, this was one of five such squares in the town of Liberty. Although this plaza was sold early to private individuals and did not become a public square, it has always been part of . . . — Map (db m116827) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9681 — Plaza Iglesia Parroquial(Parish Church Square)
This block of the inner town of Liberty was set aside and designated for Catholic use in 1831 by J. Francisco Madero, commissioner for the Mexican state of Coahuila-Texas. In April 1846, the Methodist Episcopal Church petitioned the town board . . . — Map (db m116712) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9664 — Sam Houston in Liberty County
Pioneer, lawyer, statesman, and leader of the Texas victory over Mexico at San Jacinto, General Sam Houston began a relationship with Liberty County in 1833 that was based on land ownership which continued until his death in 1863. During those years . . . — Map (db m117002) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — Sam Houston's Law Office
In memory of Sam Houston who during the 1840's occupied as an officeMap (db m117037) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9687 — Seven Pines
Benjamin Franklin Hardin (1803-1878) came to this area with other members of his family in 1826. Settling in the Atascosito District of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Texas, Franklin Hardin was named surveyor of the district in 1834. As a member of . . . — Map (db m116711) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9691 — Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent
In 1859 Bishop John Mary Odin sent a group of Ursulines from Galveston to Liberty to establish a convent and girls' school. Under the leadership of an energetic French nun, Mother Ambroise, the Sisters bought land at this site and erected two frame . . . — Map (db m116710) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 18457 — Tarver Abstract Company
For well over one hundred years, the Tarver Abstract Company has provided real property title information to the citizens of Liberty County. Thomas Carey Tarver (1846-1925), a native of Tennessee, moved to Texas as a young boy. He served in the . . . — Map (db m117062) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9686 — The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County
The town of Liberty served as the seat of government for the municipality of Liberty, one of 23 territories in Texas established by Mexico in the 1830s. The first courthouse was erected here in 1831 and was made of hewn logs. Municipalities were . . . — Map (db m116709) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.